• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

5Iz5jOD.png

Do this for now and depending on how patient you are wait for the next DP?

Hmmm... thanks for this! Made my computer usable again!

For some reason, I just updated Windows and now the trackpad works on OS X. :s

Goldenhen

I really can't wait for the new Safari. They finally got Tab Overview right. And put the iCloud stuff in the new tab page like it is on iOS. I just hope it still supports extensions that have toolbar icons. I mean there's plenty of space up there now. But where the hell did my Fullscreen icon go? Is that what the Zoom button does now? None of the windows shown have the dedicated Fullscreen mode. And I doubt they'd drop it. The Zoom button must do it now.
The full screen is still there but it's green button on top left corner of the application windows.

X-Frame

I'm very excited about the Health app, but I've been holding off on buying a FitBit or something similar for quite a while after hearing the rumors of the iWatch and "Healthbook".

I suppose I'll have to wait a bit longer until the fall to see if the iWatch gets announced, but right now I'm looking forward to a health app since it's very important to me.

Alright I feel like a total noob. I have no problems when doing the Beta for iOS 6 and iOS 7, but iOS 8 is being weird.

I want to downgrade to iOS 7 so I downloaded the file from developers.apple.com, and it tells me I'm not eligible? How do I become eligible?

Also, how do I downgrade back to Mavericks? I did a Time Machine backup and Apple Care said to use that back up and it'll revert to Mavericks, but I don't know how. :\

ramyeon

This will be the first year in awhile that I may skip betas for iOS and OSX. Besides not wanting to put up with the beta tester woes of testing them on my main (only) devices, a lot of the features I'm most excited for probably won't be fleshed out by developers or even included until the GM.

adroit

I'm surprised by the excitement over the dark menu theme (whatever it's called). Are the system colors not user-configurable to any color you want? Also, the folks complaining about transparency...can you really not adjust the transparency to make everything opaque if desired?

I'm thinking about buying my first Mac this year and these sorts of things are kinda surprising. I thought user-configurable colors for system controls had been around since the beginning of GUI shells.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The full screen is still there but it's green button on top left corner of the application windows.
I had a feeling. It explains why the icon on the button changed from the + symbol to something that kinda looks like it could resemble Fullscreen. I approve of this change. But wonder how it'll work in the Finder. I bet in windows with a sidebar it'll act like Fullscreen but ones with no sidebar will just zoom. And hopefully for the love of Pete it finally zooms to the CORRECT SIZE PLEASE. It's been 14 years and it still can't zoom correctly in the Finder.

I wonder how long before the Public Beta is available. They say "soon" but this is Apple Time™.

I love that Tab View has made its way across the entire board. Even on OS X.

Yeah, I'm holding off on beta.

I ONLY use my iPad to play Clash of Clans. If for some reason it doesn't work on iOS8 I'd contemplate suicide.

mrkgoo

I'm surprised by the excitement over the dark menu theme (whatever it's called). Are the system colors not user-configurable to any color you want? Also, the folks complaining about transparency...can you really not adjust the transparency to make everything opaque if desired?

I'm thinking about buying my first Mac this year and these sorts of things are kinda surprising. I thought user-configurable colors for system controls had been around since the beginning of GUI shells.

Not on Mac OS X. They just give a couple options for themes. Blue + coloured or grey UI elements and that's about it.

Most other elements have either 2 or no options. Like translucent menu bar or off ( and that was added later I think). Or dock animation a choice of two or off.

Personally I like it. I get overwhelmed with too many options such as an entire colour wheel when choosing window shades or something. I just prefer they give me whatever default.

But I do understand people love customisation.

Shearie

A couple of things I'm wondering after just finishing watching the keynote.

Can you quick reply to notifications in the Notification Center as well as from banners?

Can you use the "Hey Siri" command without plugging your iOS device in with a cable?

Skunkers

Maybe already posted, but I had class during the keynote. I'd like to actually download it to my computer so I can convert the video. Is there anyplace where the keynote can be downloaded currently? Looks like Apple's website just streams it, and I don't see it on any torrent sites yet. Got a link?

Sean

Banned

Jigolo

With Yosemite, Apple has officially killed the Dashboard app, right? Or at least integrated it into the notification panel.

With Yosemite, Apple has officially killed the Dashboard app, right? Or at least integrated it into the notification panel.

No it's still there.

Alright I feel like a total noob. I have no problems when doing the Beta for iOS 6 and iOS 7, but iOS 8 is being weird.

I want to downgrade to iOS 7 so I downloaded the file from developers.apple.com, and it tells me I'm not eligible? How do I become eligible?

Also, how do I downgrade back to Mavericks? I did a Time Machine backup and Apple Care said to use that back up and it'll revert to Mavericks, but I don't know how. :\

Anyone? I even tried it on a different computer. :'(

LeleSocho

Banned
As long as you downloaded from Apple, I'm sure it's safe.

Probably wants to check for corruption.

The OS installer will do its own checksum validation, no corruption is going to cause any trouble.

So he's just being crazy then.

I think it's rather obvious why i want the md5 check but after a while i thought it might actually go against the TOS so yeah... i should punished.
Feel free to do so.

I'm pretty sure just having the installer isn't enough. You have to be using a computer that is registered as an apple developer.

I was able to update to iOS 8 Beta this way (and iOS 7 Beta, and iOS 6 Beta). I am registered as an Apple Developer for iOS. However, when I download the iOS 7.1 file from developer.apple.com, it says my device is ineligible for that firmware. :\

So effectively I can't downgrade.

Nvm, found this on Apple's website.
iOS 8 beta
This is a pre-release version of iOS 8 beta for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Devices updated to iOS 8 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS.

I don't recall it being like this for iOS 7 Beta since I was able to downgrade a few times. This sucks even more considering my Apple Developer expires in July and I have no plans of resubscribing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Could be. I never used Widgets in Dashboard since they came out. They were always ugly and clunky to get to. (No trackpad gestures back then.) These will actually get used. I will be putting clocks, weather, reminders and a calculator in there. Well maybe not the calculator. I usually just use Spotlight for simple calculations. Hopefully we'll get a NeoGAF widget. That would be cool. If it could show Subscriptions and let us open to the newest posts. Maybe also a Twitter one that could show specific lists if possible.

The possibilities are endless. Would be nice if they could be programmed with HTML and JavaScript like normal Widgets. From what I can tell it's just approved Widgets from the App Store. Which is fine. I just won't be able to make my own.

I cannot wait to see this on my Retina display. So lickably smooth.

Futureman

man, overall all the software stuff between the two OSes is VERY impressive. I've had Android for 4 years now and never had an iPhone. I've been annoyed by Android screens going larger and larger, so a 4.7" iPhone w/ iOS 8 sounds amazing right now. I do have a 15" rMBP from Oct 2013, so I'm set for full integration between the two.

Only two things I need to consider... currently on Verizon w/ unlimited data. Buying the new iPhone off contract is probably too expensive. Kinda sucks but they have a plan that drops you down to 6 GB from unlimited and you keep everything else if you upgrade.

Also though... I use Google Voice now for free texting... should I just get a texting plan w/ Verizon? or continue to use Google Voice on iPhone?

Symphonic

Anyone been able to find a solid IPSW download? Getting locked out of my Dev account for some reason.

If that's not an ok question to ask, lemme know. Honestly have no idea

mrkgoo

Is the photos app in Yosemite supposed to replace iPhoto entirely? The demo made it seem like it.
I doubt it, because iPhoto is largely a local photo manager. Pretty powerful for key wording and all that jazz.

Photos is more for iCloud and internet stuff.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Doesn't do anything. Previously, the apple logo was part of the background image above the user icon:

a-mavericks-login-620x420.jpg

Guess they wanted an apple logo there somewhere
Wait. That is a shot of the whole user list. The one above is a shot of the password entry screen. What does the user list look like? No Apple logo there?

Top Bottom