• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

I would advise people not to burn everything objectiveC quite yet. Sure, Swift may be the magic bullet that solves everything, but unless you're starting from scratch doing just brand new things, you're going to be knee deep in legacy code that is in ObjC, or *gasp*, even C. Think of this just as another toolkit, another way to skin the cat. It's not saying the old way or the new way is better, it's just saying there's more than one.

I haven't seen the docs yet, but I'm worried the day I'll be looking at code where all three languages are "mixed in" together on the same file. Damn compiler better be good at detecting it.

If people are thinking of doing this just for kicks (rather than because they're actual developers) and using it on their main phone/main computer, I *strongly* advise waiting for beta 2/developer preview 2 for stability's sake. It won't be long until it happens but it'll likely be a world of difference in terms of usability in both cases. (Though it sounds like Yosemite has fewer issues than iOS 8 right now.)

If people are thinking of doing this just for kicks (rather than because they're actual developers) and using it on their main phone/main computer, I *strongly* advise waiting for beta 2/developer preview 2 for stability's sake. It won't be long until it happens but it'll likely be a world of difference in terms of usability in both cases. (Though it sounds like Yosemite has fewer issues than iOS 8 right now.)

yolo.
;p

I've been wondering about this as well. I hope they don't wait until the iOS 8 or Yosemite are released publicly.

Also, thanks for all the feedback on iOS 8. I was planning on using my dusty dev account to install it, but I think I'll wait a couple of weeks or so.

It would suck. I am ready for dropbox style sync of my documents. I bought a Mac again because I know I am not switching from the iPhone anytime soon and I just don't have time to mess with tinkering with these things anymore.

subrock

I would advise people not to burn everything objectiveC quite yet. Sure, Swift may be the magic bullet that solves everything, but unless you're starting from scratch doing just brand new things, you're going to be knee deep in legacy code that is in ObjC, or *gasp*, even C. Think of this just as another toolkit, another way to skin the cat. It's not saying the old way or the new way is better, it's just saying there's more than one.

I haven't seen the docs yet, but I'm worried the day I'll be looking at code where all three languages are "mixed in" together on the same file. Damn compiler better be good at detecting it.
Can't mix and match syntax in the same file, but you can in the same project. You can still use the obj-c frameworks in Swift files, so it really just comes down to style preference at the moment (I think the performance gains will be negligible until the Swift stuff gets more pervasive across the code base). We discussed it today where I work and we'll be switching over as fully as possible in the fall.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone noticed that the keynote has seemingly been replaced with an iOS gaming and metal session?

mrkgoo

Aren't the betas available to all with dev accounts? if so I'm installing. :D

Well, more power to ya!

I actually have a dev account from way back when I registered so I could get Xcode, which I needed for some unix stuff (like to get a compiler or something to compile packages using fink). That was ages ago before Xcode was just "available".

I still get developer emails from Apple.

I think there are different tiers of developer though right?

God this is going to be a repeat of iOS7 where a bunch of people download the beta then turn around and complain that their phone doesn't work/performance is abysmal and complain about Apple.

Ugh

Symphonic

Is there a list of all the stuff available in beta 1? Feels like a lot is missing and just curious what they've left out so far.

Spotlight search is a little disappointing so far, but it does get the job done. Wish "Hey siri" was available when the phone was not plugged in, but I guess that's a power hog.

Majine

Banned
It's interesting to see how Apple is using Cloud technology to bridge the inconsistencies from old technology, like the iMessage/SMS thing, and Maildrop.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Would be nice if it was optional for unplugged phones. But I can see it requiring a lot of power because it has to listen constantly.
My guess is that new phones will have a language coprocessor for Siri ala the m7 for motion. They will be storing other predictive language stuff for quick key and streaming Siri transcriptions live now. S8 to go along the the M8 I the iphone 6?

Listens in the background, ultra low power, doesn't send Siri requests to the server unless it needs to.

My guess is that new phones will have a language coprocessor for Siri ala the m7 for motion. They will be storing other predictive language stuff for quick key and streaming Siri transcriptions live now. S8 to go along the the M8 I the iphone 6?

Listens in the background, ultra low power, doesn't send Siri requests to the server unless it needs to.

Have they reduced the amount of stuff Siri has to hit the server for? I remember it being a problem

Family sharing sounds sweet!
About damn time!
:D

A Guide to Family Sharing

Overview

With Family Sharing, up to six members of a single family (e.g. adults and children) can share their iTunes, iBooks and App Store purchases, family photos, a family calendar, location and more. It’s the easy way to share and coordinate with the people closest to you and help bring harmony to your family’s digital life.

Setting Up Family Sharing

To set up Family Sharing, one adult in your household—the family organizer—invites up to five additional family members and agrees to pay for any iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases those family members initiate while part of the Family.

You can accept a Family Sharing invitation from any compatible iOS device or Mac where you are signed into iCloud. Or, if the organizer is nearby, they can simply ask you to enter your iCloud Apple ID and password during the setup process. To complete setup, you will also confirm the Apple ID you use for the iTunes, iBooks, and App Stores so you can share your purchases with family members. This can be the same Apple ID you use for iCloud, or a different one.

Once you join, the features of Family Sharing are set up on your compatible devices automatically.

Sharing iTunes, iBooks, and App Store Purchases

With Family Sharing, family members get immediate access to each others’ music, movies, TV shows, books, and apps, and can download them to their own devices any time they like.* Just visit Purchased in the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, or App Store, select the family member whose collection you would like to browse, and then download or play the content you want. Other family members can access your collection in the same way.

You can also choose to hide individual purchases so that other family members will not be able to view or download them.

Family Purchases and Ask To Buy

When a family member initiates a new purchase, it is billed directly to the family organizer’s account, unless the family member has gift or store credit sufficient to cover the entire amount. Once purchased, the item is added to the initiating family member’s account and shared with the rest of the family group. If Family Sharing is ever disabled, each member will keep the items they chose to purchase—even if they were paid for by the family organizer.

To control spending by kids, the organizer can turn on Ask To Buy for any family member who is not an adult to require approval for any purchase or free download requests. When a purchase is initiated, a notification will be sent to the family organizer who can review the item and approve or decline the request right from their own device. It’s a great way to give kids the freedom to make their own choices while still controlling their spending.

When Family Sharing is set up, a new shared stream called Family is automatically created in the Photos app on all family members’ devices. Everyone in the family can contribute photos, videos, and comments to the stream, and get notified whenever something new is added. It’s a great way to exchange photos and share memories with the people closest to you.

Family Calendar and Reminders

Family Sharing also sets up a new family calendar that is shared by all family members and appears in the Calendar app on everyone’s devices. Family members can view the calendar, add or modify events, and receive notifications and alerts to help everyone stay coordinated. They will also be able to use the Reminders app to set time- or location-specific reminders that will be delivered to everyone in the Family.

Sharing Your Location

When you join a Family, you will begin sharing your location with each of your other family members automatically. This allows you to use Find My Friends or the Messages app on iOS 8 to help you meet at a specific location, see when a family member is nearby, or just make sure a child is where they are supposed to be.

If you need privacy, you can stop sharing your location temporarily by disabling the Share My Location switch in iCloud Settings. Or, stop sharing your location with specific friends or family members permanently by removing them from your location sharing list.

Find My iPhone

With Family Sharing and Find My iPhone, any family member can help locate any other member’s missing device. Everyone’s devices appear in a single list in the Find My iPhone app, which makes it easier than ever to locate a child’s misplaced iPad or help a family member secure a device that has been lost or stolen.

If you prefer, you can hide your devices from family members by turning off Show My Devices in your Family Sharing settings.

Apple IDs for Kids

Children under 13 can also participate in Family Sharing. As a parent or legal guardian, the family organizer can provide verified parental consent for a child to have their own Apple ID, and create it on the child’s behalf. Once the account is created, it will be added to the Family automatically.

Children enjoy the same features as other family members and, by default, have access to the same music, movies, TV shows, books, and apps. You can limit what content your children have access to on the devices they use via Restrictions on an iOS device or Parental Controls on OS X and iTunes. Ask to Buy is enabled by default for children under 13.

Leaving Family Sharing

When you leave Family Sharing, your account is removed from the family group and you immediately stop sharing music, movies, TV shows, books, and apps with any remaining family members.

Any DRM-protected music, movies, TV shows, books, or apps you previously downloaded from other family members’ collections will no longer be usable, and other family members will no longer be able to use content downloaded from your collection. If you have made In-App Purchases from an app originally purchased by someone else, you will need to purchase the app yourself to regain access to your In-App Purchases.

In addition, family photos, calendar, and reminders will be removed from your devices, you will stop sharing your location with other family members, and your devices will be removed from the family Find My iPhone device list.

Rules and System Requirements

Family Sharing is designed to be used by a single family (e.g. adults and children). You can be part of only one family group at a time, and may only switch to a different family group twice per year. The features of Family Sharing may vary based on country and content eligibility. For more information see the iCloud Terms and Conditions.

Family Sharing requires iCloud, and works with the following software and operating systems:
iOS 8
OS X 10.10
Find My Friends 3.0
Find My iPhone 3.1
iCloud for Windows 4.0

Where can I find the system requirements for Yosemite and Xcode 6? I have a June 2009 13 inch Macbook Pro and not sure if I can install them. I'm mainly interested in trying out Swift. Does Xcode 6 require that I also install the Yosemite beta or can I install on my Maverick install?

mrkgoo

Both of this yes..
I'm fine sharing my CC with my s.o. though, so we will manage, but it seems an unnecessary constraint.

I think it's a clever constraint, otherwise you have people outside your family joining in on the share. People would just treat it as account sharing for up to 6 people.

Just catching up on this and seeing the Metal demo. Crazy that Apple has made their own special Mantle type of API for iOS. Seems like it'll be a game changer for iOS gaming. And lol @ them actually calling it metal. Remember how all these GAFers said "coding to the metal" was bullshit?

Just catching up on this and seeing the Metal demo. Crazy that Apple has made their own special Mantle type of API for iOS. Seems like it'll be a game changer for iOS gaming. And lol @ them actually calling it metal. Remember how all these GAFers said "coding to the metal" was bullshit?

Just a hunch but I feel like this could tie into whatever the next version of appleTV is. A8X? processor combined with metal and the newish support for controllers and you are all of a sudden competing in the gaming console space. Not saying the next version of appletv will focus on that, but definitely a way for them to get their foot in the door on that market

neemmss

Do I really need a developers account to get xcode 6? I have been itching to try Swift, but I don't want to pay the $100 for a full dev account. :/

Just a hunch but I feel like this could tie into whatever the next version of appleTV is. A8X? processor combined with metal and the newish support for controllers and you are all of a sudden competing in the gaming console space. Not saying the next version of appletv will focus on that, but definitely a way for them to get their foot in the door on that market
Yeah it seems like OpenGL has hit something of a wall as of late, and Apple has been historically dragging their heels and sticking with OpenGL while DirectX continues to be vastly superior. With the Mac Pro's power depending heavily on a dual graphics card setup it seems silly having such a bottleneck like OpenGL. I believe this iOS implementation of Metal is but a first step and that the end game here is full blown Metal in OS X to support the Mac Pro's dual video cards as well as having improved performance with all the other Mac hardware of course.

It's like they're going to have something comparable to AMD's Mantle at a system level.

Do I really need a developers account to get xcode 6? I have been itching to try Swift, but I don't want to pay the $100 for a full dev account. :/
I believe that dev account is just for iOS. AFAIK XCode is free and Mac development is free. But again, if you want to code for an iOS device then yes, you will need an account.

Sorry, I'm going to ask this for a new page, hopefully someone with iOS 8 can confirm:

Read on another forum that Photos no longer has a camera roll, is this true?

Jimrpg

Here in Malaysia I know many many families with 6+ children (some have 10+)

Shouldn't the family size be bigger than that?

They don't all have iPhones and iPads though...

My wife's family has 7 members (5 kids) and they all have iPads and iPhones.

Luckily my wife and I will be a family and her family can start their own group.

Ensirius

There you go. It's pretty uncommon for a family to be over 6 members.

I thought the conference wasn't very good until they started dropping bombs such as continuity, keyboards, extentions... Then it turned to one of the best conferences by Apple.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Wealthy people have very few children. Consider Apple's target market.

Top Bottom