• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

I've got good experience in C, Java, Python, ARM and MIPS assembly

Now whether to learn Swift or C++

axaScJG.png

Quasar

Just catching up on this and seeing the Metal demo. Crazy that Apple has made their own special Mantle type of API for iOS. Seems like it'll be a game changer for iOS gaming. And lol @ them actually calling it metal. Remember how all these GAFers said "coding to the metal" was bullshit?

Given tne lukewarm response mantle has gotten I'm curious to see what real world improvement metal has.

Maximus.

Just made the switch from Chrome to Safari. I just really like the way the new Safari looks and I think that it has made a lot of progress in recent years to be given a legitimate chance as my main browser!

Just made the switch from Chrome to Safari. I just really like the way the new Safari looks and I think that it has made a lot of progress in recent years to be given a legitimate chance as my main browser!

Safari seems very fast and I'd be willing to switch to it but it doesn't have all my favorite userscripts and extensions :(

Safari seems very fast and I'd be willing to switch to it but it doesn't have all my favorite userscripts and extensions :(

Yeah this is what keeps me from even considering Safari, regardless of what other benefits it might offer. Ironically, this is pretty much the exact reason Apple has successfully managed to hook people in to their iOS ecosystem.

mrkgoo

Yeah this is what keeps me from even considering Safari, regardless of what other benefits it might offer. Ironically, this is pretty much the exact reason Apple has successfully managed to hook people in to their iOS ecosystem.
I don't understand. What exactly has managed to hook people into their ios ecosystem?

Mindwipe

I don't understand. What exactly has managed to hook people into their ios ecosystem?

He's saying people stick with iOS over Android et al because it has more apps that people want to use than anywhere else, and that's like Safari and Chrome because Chrome has a better selection of extensions (except the other way around, obviously).

Number45

I like Safari enough to deal with the lack of some extensions. Maybe the new version will make it more extensible, but I guess while it's locked to a relatively small subset of computers it's going to struggle to get as much support.

Maybe the new version will make it more extensible, but I guess while it's locked to a relatively small subset of computers it's going to struggle to get as much support.

It would normally be sensible to assume no, but after yesterday's announcements, I think there's every chance that Apple is at least considering it. They'd certainly be wise to.

Randdalf

I've got good experience in C, Java, Python, ARM and MIPS assembly

Now whether to learn Swift or C++

Unless you're going to be spending a lot of time making iOS apps, C++ is probably the more sensible choice, not necessarily because of its qualities but because it's so widely used. You already know C and Java so you're halfway there already!

lionelhutz

Are the new messaging features in iOS 8 (location sharing, audio and video recordings) limited to users with iMessage? Will these features work with others outside of Apple and in standard SMS?

Number45

Are the new messaging features in iOS 8 (location sharing, audio and video recordings) limited to users with iMessage? Will these features work with others outside of Apple and in standard SMS?
It's just going to be iMessage, I'm sure. I can't see SMS (or MMS) meeting the data requirements for that.

Number45

MMS supports all of those things as a standard, but I doubt Apple will include the functionality to use them outside of iMessage.
Oh, I thought MMS had some limits on the functionality. I have no interest in MMS anyway (Apple or non-Apple products), given how expensive sending them are in relation to data (for me at least).

Mindwipe

Oh, I thought MMS had some limits on the functionality. I have no interest in MMS anyway (Apple or non-Apple products), given how expensive sending them are in relation to data (for me at least).

The standard would limit the max video resolution and total file size so they would have to downconvert.

But it can do it.

(And location sharing us ultimately just a URL, that can fit into an SMS).

Jinroh

Last year I could install the Mavericks beta without having a dev account, is it still the case with yosemite? Or will it cause problems when I login with my account?

Number45

Just noticed iOS 8 enables peer to peer Airplay between iDevices and Apple TV, that'll be fantastic for the classroom.
Is this different to what's possible now? I can send stuff from my iPad to Apple TV already.

I know the WWDC is mostly about software but when will Apple announce new hardwares?
Late summer I would think. Hope so anyway, that's when I'm planning on a new iMac and iPhone. ^_^

I know the WWDC is mostly about software but when will Apple announce new hardwares?

iPhone 6: Probably around Sept 10, since that's what they did last year.
iPad Air 2/Mini Retina 2: Possibly at the same time since it's most likely just a spec bump + Touch ID
Macbook Air Retina + MBPr: September is also the expected release date for Broadwell, Intel's latest processor line.

So in theory they could blow it all out at once. But if Intel delays or if any of their product lines sees delays then the press conferences will be split again to early and late in the Sept/November range.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
It means Airplay without a network connection, so you can use it offline if the place your using it won't allow Apple TV to authenticate on their network.

Squalor

I have experienced some iOS bugs here and there since "updating" last night along with the requisite slowdown and slightly increased battery drain, but I have not encountered anything phone-breaking

snacknuts

we all knew her
As someone who loves my MBP, but doesn't use the default apps like Mail or Calendar, and who also hates iOS pretty intensely, yesterday was a massive disappointment.

• I couldn't care less about Continuity since I don't own or want an iPhone/iPad.
  • I'm already very happy with Dropbox and Google Drive. iCloud Drive offers nothing compelling for me.
  • The Today view in the notification center will be useless to me unless they allow the ability to link your Google Calendar directly to it (instead of having to set it up in Calendar first).
  • I'll give Safari another shot, but until it can duplicate all the extensions I use in Chrome, it will never be my primary browser.
  • I'll never use Mail Drop/Markup. I can already do the Mail Drop thing with Google Drive. Markup is a nice addition, but not compelling enough to make me start using Mail (I really hate email clients, as I have not found anything as useful as Gmail's web interface).
  • iMessage is awful, so I don't care about integrating that with my Mac.

I am definitely interested in any improvements to Spotlight (one of my favorite OSX features), but that's a very short list of things to find myself interested in coming out of that keynote.

dc89

How are peoples iPhone batteries holding up?

I'd say mine is better than iOS7 actually. But this may be down to the fact I picked my iPhone up from Apple following the sleep/wake button repair. My battery failed the QA so that got swapped out too.

Squalor

Disappointed, yada, yada, yada.
That's too bad for you that you're disappointed. Good thing you're in the minority, though.

I'd say mine is better than iOS7 actually. But this may be down to the fact I picked my iPhone up from Apple following the sleep/wake button repair. My battery failed the QA so that got swapped out too.
I have had my phone off the charger for about two hours. I have sent/received four text messages and have made two two minute phone calls and have sent/received three e-mails, not to mention about ten minutes of web browsing and fiddling with settings.

All of this has occurred over LTE, and I have drained 17% of my battery.

Fuchsdh

24 minutes of usage, 1.5 hours standby this morning, and 96% left on my 4S (2.5 years old).

I've got BAR off and the number of things that can notify me aggressively throttled. My battery gets me through the day without recharging but it gets quite low by the end of it (20-40% depending on how much I use it and Skype during work.)

I really hope they focus on improving battery life as they have on the laptop side of things. I don't need my phone thinner (hell I'm fine with its size in an Otterbox) but I would love to not have to charge it every day.

Squalor

I should also note I was outside for a majority of my time, so my display was fairly bright, if not all the way at 100% brightness.
How do you downgrade back to 7.1? Not sure how long I want to stick with 8.0
I did a 8.0 downgrade after a weird bug with Siri telling me everything i was doing on the phone and disabled the swipe functions.

Switch off the phone, hold home, open itunes, connect the cable and restore.

FLEABttn

Banned

Terribly. Rebooted it twice to make sure it wasn't like the problem people were having when they upgraded to iOS7. Burned through 25% of my battery in about 40 minutes. Went back to iOS7.

The battery meter said the App Store was doing it. Not sure why.

I should also note I was outside for a majority of my time, so my display was fairly bright, if not all the way at 100% brightness.

thanks, downgrading my iPhone and iPad now, it's a nice update but the changes aren't dramatic enough to warrant dealing with the bugs

but man I love the predictive text

kehs

Banned
As someone who loves my MBP, but doesn't use the default apps like Mail or Calendar, and who also hates iOS pretty intensely, yesterday was a massive disappointment.

• I couldn't care less about Continuity since I don't own or want an iPhone/iPad.
  • I'm already very happy with Dropbox and Google Drive. iCloud Drive offers nothing compelling for me.
  • The Today view in the notification center will be useless to me unless they allow the ability to link your Google Calendar directly to it (instead of having to set it up in Calendar first).
  • I'll give Safari another shot, but until it can duplicate all the extensions I use in Chrome, it will never be my primary browser.
  • I'll never use Mail Drop/Markup. I can already do the Mail Drop thing with Google Drive. Markup is a nice addition, but not compelling enough to make me start using Mail (I really hate email clients, as I have not found anything as useful as Gmail's web interface).

I am definitely interested in any improvements to Spotlight (one of my favorite OSX features), but that's a very short list of things to find myself interested in coming out of that keynote.

I feel the same way. I guess it's the nature of the beast though as Apple struggles to turn itself into a viable platform as the competition heats up.

If you only use Apple for their hardware quality but only barely engage with their software/services, why would you expect a keynote about software/services to be exciting?

Squalor

If you only use Apple for their hardware quality but only barely engage with their software/services, why would you expect a keynote about software/services to be exciting?
How else would he have an opportunity to come into the thread for Apple fans and find a way to talk about how much superior Google is at everything else?

numble

They have had this since 7.1 on iPhone and 6.1 on Apple TV.

That was just device discovery. They still needed to be on the same network. Some networks didn't have Bonjour enabled so you would not be able to see that the AppleTV is on the network. With 7.1, they allowed discovery without using Bonjour.

This is different. It allows you to AirPlay to a nearby AppleTV without being on the same network.

kehs

Banned

OS software don't necessarily have to be tied to a company's services.

jstripes

Banned
I would advise people not to burn everything objectiveC quite yet. Sure, Swift may be the magic bullet that solves everything, but unless you're starting from scratch doing just brand new things, you're going to be knee deep in legacy code that is in ObjC, or *gasp*, even C. Think of this just as another toolkit, another way to skin the cat. It's not saying the old way or the new way is better, it's just saying there's more than one.

I haven't seen the docs yet, but I'm worried the day I'll be looking at code where all three languages are "mixed in" together on the same file. Damn compiler better be good at detecting it.

Pray for Adobe.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So is there gonna be a folder titled "music" on iCloud drive that the music app can access? Even if there's not can the music app at least open mp3s stored in iCloud drive?

Top Bottom