• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

LeleSocho

Banned
As someone who loves my MBP, but doesn't use the default apps like Mail or Calendar, and who also hates iOS pretty intensely, yesterday was a massive disappointment.

A disappointment requires expectations, what kind of expectation you had from a conference about software if you aren't interested in software?

Squalor

I am liking the quick reply in iOS 8 a lot. I wish it were accessible from the lock screen, though. And the only thing you can do with e-mails is mark them as read or delete them. Let me quick reply with that, too.

The predictive text has functioned amazingly well. I honestly figured Apple would need more time for it to impress me, but it is significantly more accurate than I could have imaged for the beta.

And, thank you, Apple, for finally adding the all-too obviously needed ability to leave group messages. Geez.
Get over the passive aggressive whining already
There was nothing passive aggressive about my post.

So is there gonna be a folder titled "music" on iCloud drive that the music app can access? Even if there's not can the music app at least open mp3s stored in iCloud drive?

Doubtful. iOS already has a way of opening up mp3s within Safari, and that's likely what'd be used.

Also, you can't access the Cloud Drive directly (which is weird) within iOS - only from an open/save dialog.

kehs

Banned
I am liking the quick reply in iOS 8 a lot. I wish it were accessible from the lock screen, though. And the only thing you can do with e-mails is mark them as read or delete them. Let me quick reply with that, too.

Does the delete/archive thing work even with a pin code?

Konka

Banned
As someone who loves my MBP, but doesn't use the default apps like Mail or Calendar, and who also hates iOS pretty intensely, yesterday was a massive disappointment.

• I couldn't care less about Continuity since I don't own or want an iPhone/iPad.
  • I'm already very happy with Dropbox and Google Drive. iCloud Drive offers nothing compelling for me.
  • The Today view in the notification center will be useless to me unless they allow the ability to link your Google Calendar directly to it (instead of having to set it up in Calendar first).
  • I'll give Safari another shot, but until it can duplicate all the extensions I use in Chrome, it will never be my primary browser.
  • I'll never use Mail Drop/Markup. I can already do the Mail Drop thing with Google Drive. Markup is a nice addition, but not compelling enough to make me start using Mail (I really hate email clients, as I have not found anything as useful as Gmail's web interface).
  • iMessage is awful, so I don't care about integrating that with my Mac.

I am definitely interested in any improvements to Spotlight (one of my favorite OSX features), but that's a very short list of things to find myself interested in coming out of that keynote.

I can't comprehend why you'd own a Mac and not use their software I mean yeah the build is great but you are not the apple target audience. Safari is so much better for me than the others.

I don't know what you were e expecting to like.

Somnid

I wasn't really into the OSX stuff, most of that has been in Windows for quite some time. Continuity was cool but I do question the utility. Nobody actually uses Keynote much less would go to a meeting to build a keynote on their iPad and be super bummed they have to open up a synced document. There's just too many situation things that would be required to really make that actually useful. But I think it's a good start to maybe a second screen feature in the future.

The iOS announcements were much better. Apps by battery is good, increased keyboard support was a necessity and long overdue, Swift is going to be a huge boon as one reason I and many others don't build iOS apps is because objective-C is a complete mess of a language. Just checking the docs Swift it makes me wish Google would deprecate Android Java for Dart or Go or something. App connectors is good, touchId in apps is good.

Siri stuff left me wanting a bit more. Song identification is nice, I use Soundhound occasionally. Having an always on mode is nice too as is streaming to make it go faster. However, given how modern iDevices have stupid fast chips you'd think they could get offline Siri and dictation even if it's a bit slower. For something Apple brought to the forefront they are really falling behind.

Overall I'm still happy Apple is device-centric. The fact that things in general work locally without internet and without giving up tons of data to a mysterious cloud makes me happy. I don't like devices that are bricks when wifi isn't available.

As someone that owns an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and a rMBP I'm really really excited about iOS8 & Yosemite.

Synergy is always a good thing between devices. I just wish I could use my ipad as a second screen very easily w/ my macbook. But being able to answer my phone on other devices without actually having to get up and find my phone is heaven. Also being able to pick up where I left off between devices is a good look. I just wonder will that functionality be opened up to 3rd party apps.

numble

I wasn't really into the OSX stuff, most of that has been in Windows for quite some time. Continuity was cool but I do question the utility. Nobody actually uses Keynote much less would go to a meeting to build a keynote on their iPad and be super bummed they have to open up a synced document. There's just too many situation things that would be required to really make that actually useful. But I think it's a good start to maybe a second screen feature in the future.

The iOS announcements were much better. Apps by battery is good, increased keyboard support was a necessity and long overdue, Swift is going to be a huge boon as one reason I and many others don't build iOS apps is because objective-C is a complete mess of a language. Just checking the docs Swift it makes me wish Google would deprecate Android Java for Dart or Go or something. App connectors is good, touchId in apps is good.

Siri stuff left me wanting a bit more. Song identification is nice, I use Soundhound occasionally. Having an always on mode is nice too as is streaming to make it go faster. However, given how modern iDevices have stupid fast chips you'd think they could get offline Siri and dictation even if it's a bit slower. For something Apple brought to the forefront they are really falling behind.

Overall I'm still happy Apple is device-centric. The fact that things in general work locally without internet and without giving up tons of data to a mysterious cloud makes me happy. I don't like devices that are bricks when wifi isn't available.
Continuity is an API that all developers can use. So questioning the utility by mentioning the limited use of Keynote is off base. I think it can be very useful for things like writing texts/e-mails (or GAF posts), looking at a PDF on iPhone and syncing it to the iPad/Mac, just anytime you want to move from one device to another and having the glass sync up.

Not sure if the contextual reply feature in Messages (and Mail?) is something I'll use by the time of the GM. I did like that it picked up goofy/in-joke phrases my best friend and I use and placed them for reply.

I really like how 'Details' groups all the images I've shared with someone via text, too.

snacknuts

we all knew her
A disappointment requires expectations, what kind of expectation you had from a conference about software if you aren't interested in software?

That's a fair question. I guess general performance improvement in the OS and OS-level features (like Spotlight). Last year they added tabbed windows to Finder, file tags, etc. It seemed like everything this year was a change to an application instead of the OS.

Squalor

Does the delete/archive thing work even with a pin code?
Currently, that is irrelevant as you can only slide to view from the lock screen. Unless mine is suffering from a bug, you cannot access these new features for Messages or Mail from the lock screen, only once the phone is already unlocked.

As such, whether you have a passcode has no effect on these features because, if you have it turned on, you have already input the code to unlock the phone.

Somnid

Continuity is an API that all developers can use. So questioning the utility by mentioning the limited use of Keynote is off base. I think it can be very useful for things like writing texts/e-mails (or GAF posts), looking at a PDF on iPhone and syncing it to the iPad/Mac, just anytime you want to move from one device to another and having the glass sync up.

I understood it like app deep-links which is pretty trivial to setup. I felt it could be more ambitious but maybe I just understood it wrong. They seemed to emphasize continuity in productivity apps, most other apps for reading, movies and games provide syncing already.

kehs

Banned
Currently, that is irrelevant as you can only slide to view from the lock screen. Unless mine is suffering from a bug, you cannot access these new features for Messages or Mail from the lock screen, only once the phone is already unlocked.

As such, whether you have a passcode has no effect on these features because, if you have it turned on, you have already input the code to unlock the phone.

Oh I misread that, I thought you were accessing from the lock screen. Which I think they showed ?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Some of the stuff in iOS8 seem neat, but I can't get over the general jankiness and glitchyness of the email app (like it never seem to go to email I want to read when I swipe it on notification screen). I guess I'll revert to 7.1.1 and wait for the next beta.

screen-shot-2014-06-03-at-9-00-09-am.png

This is cool:

When plugging an iPad or iPhone running iOS 8 into a Mac running OS X Yosemite via USB, the iOS device now shows up as a standard camera input. This means any video app can be used to record the screen of the iOS device without the need for additional hardware.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/03/apple...rs-to-screencast-ios-apps-with-os-x-yosemite/

S¡mon

Banned
What a boring WWDC from an *iOS* consumer's perspective.

Mac OS X gets a big interface overhaul, fair enough.

But iOS 8? It simply doesn't have one of those "I didn't see that coming! :eek:"-features. iCloud Drive? Could be exciting, but nothing new compared to Dropbox and Google Drive.

I'm glad with the iOS notification improvements and keyboard (third party) improvements, but those two features are basically the take-aways. Oh, and those damn widgets - terrible idea to put them in the notification center. The widget "blocks"-concept seems much better thought-out.

From a developer's perspective, I absolutely loved WWDC (hey, it is the World Wide Developer's Conference). Lots of promises and lots of new tools. Great. :)

Squalor

Oh I misread that, I thought you were accessing from the lock screen. Which I think they showed ?
Yeah, I was saying you can't do any "quick" actions from the lock screen, which seems odd.

I hope they add it for the major rollout this fall or, at the least, shortly afterward.
That is really freaking cool.

I don't have Yosemite, yet (come on Summer), but that's a great feature.

numble

The keyboard now has an undo button, at least on iPad.

I understood it like app deep-links which is pretty trivial to setup. I felt it could be more ambitious but maybe I just understood it wrong. They seemed to emphasize continuity in productivity apps, most other apps for reading, movies and games provide syncing already.
It isn't just syncing because it notifies the nearby device that an activity is available for continuation, so you don't need to go to open the app and file for the syncing to take place--the nearby device prompts the user if it wants to continue the activity on it, and launches to the synced activity. The handoff also does not require syncing via a intermediate server, either.

LeleSocho

Banned
That's a fair question. I guess general performance improvement in the OS and OS-level features (like Spotlight). Last year they added tabbed windows to Finder, file tags, etc. It seemed like everything this year was a change to an application instead of the OS.

Good point, although it was kinda known that this year would've been more about the aesthetic rather than under the hood changes like Mavericks was.

kaskade

Can't wait to try out the Yosemite beta. I'm sure once it releases it's going to be a bit more stable than the developer builds will be. I just want the new iMessage on iOS 8. That's going to be so nice.

I can't comprehend why you'd own a Mac and not use their software I mean yeah the build is great but you are not the apple target audience. Safari is so much better for me than the others.

I don't know what you were e expecting to like.

A keynote about an OS can come with maybe a few OS improvements. Just spitballing here; better performance, more configuration, battery savings, filesystem improvements, better wi-fi management, better dual-monitor support and a billion other things I've wanted from OSX since I switched.

Sure, it's not as glitzy as improvements to Apple's default applications, but those matter as much to me as when a new Windows comes with a new Internet Explorer. People use Apple's products for different things and want progress in different directions. It's not hard to understand.

snacknuts

we all knew her
A keynote about an OS can come with maybe a few OS improvements. Just spitballing here; better performance, more configuration, battery savings, filesystem improvements, better wi-fi management, better dual-monitor support and a billion other things I've wanted from OSX since I switched.

Sure, it's not as glitzy as improvements to Apple's default applications, but those matter as much to me as when a new Windows comes with a new Internet Explorer. People use Apple's products for different things and want progress in different directions. It's not hard to understand.

Explained better than I would have. Basically, I own a MBP because of the build quality, stability of the OS, features like Mission Control and virtual desktops, and dat trackpad. These are things that Apple does well. I generally don't care for what Apple does with their applications (apart from Keynote).

For anyone thinking of installing 10.10 on a primary computer, this is the most unstable first beta I've had with an OS since probably Leopard. I know lots of people had issues with Lion and Mavericks, but I never did. With 10.10, I can't even open System Preferences without it crashing 80% of the time. I know non-developers like to install these betas, but just a warning on this one.

Squalor

For anyone thinking of installing 10.10 on a primary computer, this is the most unstable first beta I've had with an OS since probably Leopard. I know lots of people had issues with Lion and Mavericks, but I never did. With 10.10, I can't even open System Preferences without it crashing 80% of the time. I know non-developers like to install these betas, but just a warning on this one.
Hopefully it's better by the time the public summer beta comes out.

Otherwise, there is going to be a lot of backlash from half of the million people.

I've found the beta to be pretty good so far. Some apps take a bit long to load, full screen doesn't work right all the time and Safari is slow and buggy but in general it's been pretty solid for me.

Edit:

Of course right after I posted this my computer decided to crash when I tried to check my mail...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If you only use Apple for their hardware quality but only barely engage with their software/services, why would you expect a keynote about software/services to be exciting?

as a fan of sony i have to say microsoft's e3 presser was REALLY disappointing i mean where were all the ps4 games

Yeah, installed it on my new rMBP that I use for testing some apps on retina screens and it seems noticeably slower than Mavericks.

Really happy I didn't consider installing it on a secondary partition on my main development iMac, would have been a waste of time right now.

EmiPrime

• I couldn't care less about Continuity since I don't own or want an iPhone/iPad.
  • I'm already very happy with Dropbox and Google Drive. iCloud Drive offers nothing compelling for me.
  • The Today view in the notification center will be useless to me unless they allow the ability to link your Google Calendar directly to it (instead of having to set it up in Calendar first).
  • I'll give Safari another shot, but until it can duplicate all the extensions I use in Chrome, it will never be my primary browser.
  • I'll never use Mail Drop/Markup. I can already do the Mail Drop thing with Google Drive. Markup is a nice addition, but not compelling enough to make me start using Mail (I really hate email clients, as I have not found anything as useful as Gmail's web interface).
  • iMessage is awful, so I don't care about integrating that with my Mac.

I am definitely interested in any improvements to Spotlight (one of my favorite OSX features), but that's a very short list of things to find myself interested in coming out of that keynote.

I use mostly non-Apple apps and services but yesterday showed a lot of steps in the right direction. I am glad that the all-Apple ecosystem which I left more than a year ago will become a viable option over the next six months as opposed to the shambling mess it currently is. This WWDC showed that Apple are doing everything they need to be doing.

Fuchsdh

Doubtful. iOS already has a way of opening up mp3s within Safari, and that's likely what'd be used.

Also, you can't access the Cloud Drive directly (which is weird) within iOS - only from an open/save dialog.

I think they still want the system to be fairly invisible, and iOS it makes sense--there's no real way to navigate the filesystem unless they bolted on an app. The entire paradigm wasn't designed for it, whereas on OS X it screamed for it.

I use mostly non-Apple apps and services but yesterday showed a lot of steps in the right direction. I am glad that the all-Apple ecosystem which I left more than a year ago will become a viable option over the next six months as opposed to the shambling mess it currently is. This WWDC showed that Apple are doing everything they need to be doing.

Pretty much. For me as a limited user of a lot of this stuff, Apple is making it far more attractive and solves all my issues with it. Everyone knows their weakness is services, and this should be encouraging to people that they are willing to make solid steps to improve that. Looks like iCloud will be able to replace Dropbox for my smaller sync uses entirely (for big stuff I've got a Transporter already.)

Schlep

All of my devices are Android, Windows 8, and Linux, so I'm definitely an outsider (as opposed to five years ago where I was bathing in the Kool-aid).

My impression of yesterday was that it was great if all of your devices are made by Apple, and five years ago me would have passed out. If you just own an iOS device, it seemed more like Apple brought in some of the best features of Android and Windows Phone. If you just own a computer, well, Apple stopped putting an emphasis on that years ago.

I was really hoping they would talk a bit about Beats Music, but I'm guessing that would be way too fast to comment.

Deku Tree

All of my devices are Android, Windows 8, and Linux, so I'm definitely an outsider (as opposed to five years ago where I was bathing in the Kool-aid).

My impression of yesterday was that it was great if all of your devices are made by Apple, and five years ago me would have passed out. If you just own an iOS device, it seemed more like Apple brought in some of the best features of Android and Windows Phone. If you just own a computer, well, Apple stopped putting an emphasis on that years ago.

I was really hoping they would talk a bit about Beats Music, but I'm guessing that would be way too fast to comment.

The only conclusion I can possibly come to is that me and you watched completely different presentations.

Beats Music is only going to take off if there is some full system wide integration of the app, it can't just be another music app

It's going to take a lot from apple to have me leave spotify, and I'm an apple everything guy

Squalor

Still no word on when iCloud pricing changes? I need to know whether to cancel my google drive this month.
There is no word. I would be surprised if they change it before the fall, though.
The only conclusion I can possibly come to is that me and you watched completely different presentations.
Aside from some complete system overhaul, the only thing missing from the OS X news was Siri.

Guess Who

Banned

They did pretty much all of these things last year, and when you're doing yearly releases you can't do everything every year.

Schlep

Possibly. What I saw was a flatter look with little else new if you don't have an iPhone or iPad. Maybe I'd need to re-watch it.

Beats Music is only going to take off if there is some full system wide integration of the app, it can't just be another music app

It's going to take a lot from apple to have me leave spotify, and I'm an apple everything guy
The curated playlists make Beats feel a lot different to me than Spotify. Spotify has top lists, where the playlists on Beats have more thought put into them. It feels like how XM used to back in the day. I'm discovering a lot of new music that I don't even hear on Google Music.

Squalor

Of course Apple caters to people who own multiple devices.

That's the whole point of an ecosystem.

If you're mad about that or disappointed, oh well. Get over it. Or, move on: get a non-Apple computer or switch back to an iPhone.

It's simple as that.

Possibly. What I saw was a flatter look with little else new if you don't have an iPhone or iPad. Maybe I'd need to re-watch it.

The curated playlists make Beats feel a lot different to me than Spotify. Spotify has top lists, where the playlists on Beats have more thought put into them. It feels like how XM used to back in the day. I'm discovering a lot of new music that I don't even hear on Google Music.

I remember the sentence feature being a gimmick as it basically just took into account the final part which asked for the genre of music, didn't matter what I said for the previous parts

erawsd

Yeah. I don't have a Mac but I sat through the OSX part of the presentation and I think what Apple is doing OSX is far better than the MS approach to Windows 8. Instead of the very jarring way MS just dumped mobile on top of the desktop, Apple is just cherry picking the best mobile stuff and integrating them into the traditional desktop. I'm pretty jealous that I'll miss out on the deep integration of iOS and OSX.

This is nice:

One new feature sees the iPhone displaying apps on the lock screen based on location. For example, MacRumors readers have seen relevant app icons pop up while at or near brick and mortar locations like Starbucks and the Apple Store. While at a Starbucks, for example, the Starbucks app icon is displayed in the lower left corner of the iPhone's lock screen, which allows a Starbucks Passbook card to be easily accessed.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/03/ios-8-apps-quick-access/

Top Bottom