• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Schlep

I remember the sentence feature being a gimmick as it basically just took into account the final part which asked for the genre of music, didn't matter what I said for the previous parts
lol. I used that feature once and never again. I use the genre playlists.

Randoug

Banned
Not having any major issues with Yosemite so far. Just one weird bug with chrome:

kG174qN.png

notice the text hiding behind the tab

jwluther

Is there something I need to do to enable Continuity (ex. answering the phone or receiving SMS on my Mac), or is that simply not available in this build?

Is there something I need to do to enable Continuity (ex. answering the phone or receiving SMS on my Mac), or is that simply not available in this build?

Phone isn't in this build, not sure about SMS stuff.

Also, the Wifi indicator needs to be darkened. I can't tell if I'm connected or not because it is so pale.

Also, Bartender isn't compatible, so my poor menubar is a nightmare! I was going to take a screen shot and show you all, but screen shots aren't working for me. Nor is sound.

I'm on a mid 2011 MacBook Air. Even Finder is so slow.

Edit: And why is Dashboard still around? Just die already...

iMessages also didn't carry over. New ones are showing up, but nothing old.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah. The Developer Preview is not the version you want to use unless you're a developer and need it for API checking.

If you're not a developer, wait for the first Public Beta. It'll be a bit more stable, while not completely, but it'll also probably have a few more of the missing features. Maybe by then iOS 8's current preview will be stable enough for them to work together how they should.

Either way, don't expect everything to work today. It'll all work the way they showed us in November.

I don't understand the point of dynamic wallpapers without opening it up to developers and let them release em on the App Store. Just like they do with texttones/ringtones.

This way they could be reviewed to ensure the animation doesn't impact performance/battery life and the user gets more variety.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't understand the point of dynamic wallpapers without opening it up to developers and let them release em on the App Store. Just like they do with texttones/ringtones.

This way they could be reviewed to ensure the animation doesn't impact performance/battery life and the user gets more variety.
Seriously. I bet they're just Quartz Composer files. They could easily allow people to use Quartz Composer to make their own. I'd love to see what people could do with it. Especially if they have total access to the gyroscopes and GPS positioning stuff. 3D scenes anyone? Dynamically changing backgrounds based on your location? Damn the possibilities are endless. Maybe now that extensions are big in iOS and OS X they'll do it... eventually.

mrkgoo

Seriously. I bet they're just Quartz Composer files. They could easily allow people to use Quartz Composer to make their own. I'd love to see what people could do with it. Especially if they have total access to the gyroscopes and GPS positioning stuff. 3D scenes anyone? Dynamically changing backgrounds based on your location? Damn the possibilities are endless. Maybe now that extensions are big in iOS and OS X they'll do it... eventually.

I'm not big in glitzy customisations, but I've always fancied the background changing based on time. It occurred to me when I used to have a nice "night sky" background, but it was sort of jarring to have in the morning.

Maybe have those fancy weather animations based on the forecast.

With Quartz Compiser though it would probably be pretty easy to make stuff that really affects battery life and performance, though.

No one at Apple hates skeumorphism, and I don't think most people in the world do, either. We just all agreed that Forstall didn't have any restraint and kept going hard on it. People need relatable and understandable analogies in their software design.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Still waiting on my Yosemite.

The new camera icon's still stupid, though. What a camera looks like to 99% of people nowadays is a smartphone. The older icon was more-minimalist and more-tasteful even though a lot of the pre-iOS 7 look ran the other way.

Squalor

The new camera icon's still stupid, though. What a camera looks like to 99% of people nowadays is a smartphone. The older icon was more-minimalist and more-tasteful even though a lot of the pre-iOS 7 look ran the other way.
I think an icon of a lens would be good. An icon of a phone for a camera app would look stupid.

mrkgoo

Some of the icons in ios7 are definitely not to my taste. But you can't please everyone.

I like the safari icon, for example.

Camera, game centre, contacts and settings are travesties to me. Oh and face time. And notes and reminders could do with being more interesting, even if they are "boring" apps.

mrkgoo

I think an icon of a lens would be good. An icon of a phone for a camera app would look stupid.
Pretty much.

I mean if you went in the logic of what 99% of people consider to be anything, it would be a smartphone.

Who writes notes on a notepad? Who uses a video camera? Who uses envelopes? Why is the phone icon a traditional phone hand piece?

I think classic iconography has its place.

Estocolmo

Will the iCloud drive be an app on iOs8 like it will be on Yosemite?

And can you receive calls on your iPad too? What will happen if you have all three devices on your desktop; ipad, iphone and macbook at the same time and somebody calls you. Are all three devices going to get the option to answer the call?

mrkgoo

And can you receive calls on your iPad too? What will happen if you have all there devices on your desktop; ipad, iphone and macbook at the same time and somebody calls you. Are all three devices going to get the option to answer the call?

For the calls, I assume so. And you would probably have the option to turn "receive calls on this device" on or off.

I mean, that's more or less how FaceTime works now so why not.

Squalor

And can you receive calls on your iPad too? What will happen if you have all there devices on your desktop; ipad, iphone and macbook at the same time and somebody calls you. Are all three devices going to get the option to answer the call?
This is what iCloud Drive will look like on iOS devices.

Yes, iPads can receive calls, too. I'm not exactly sure how the system will work, but if you have the devices connected, you'll receive the call on your phone, and you will also receive the notifications on your computer and other Wi-Fi connected device.

Squalor

Activating Siri by saying "Hey, Siri" only works when connected to a power source.

This is something that will definitely change upon consumer release.

I had been saying "Hey, Siri" for a good twenty seconds before I read the fine print under the setting.

Enco

Activating Siri by saying "Hey, Siri" only works when connected to a power source.

I had been saying "Hey, Siri" for a good twenty seconds before I read the fine print under the setting.
That's pretty dumb.

Hopefully it is. Does it work if the phone is locked and screen off?

I doubt it. It's meant mainly for cars, where your phone is plugged into the power supply or some sort of dock. Also, it probably drains the battery.

Now, I'd like to be able to optionally destroy the battery on my own by enabling it to work on battery, but I don't seriously think Apple will let us do that. Maybe I'll be wrong. Hope so.

I doubt it. It's meant mainly for cars, where your phone is plugged into the power supply or some sort of dock. Also, it probably drains the battery.

Now, I'd like to be able to optionally destroy the battery on my own by enabling it to work on battery, but I don't seriously think Apple will let us do that. Maybe I'll be wrong. Hope so.

They'll definitely make it toggle-able

Vashetti

Banned

It probably drains a lot of power, being 'always on'. Probably needs a lot of refinement to get the power use down.

Vashetti

Banned
Did they mention whether Yosemite would bring any more power optimisations?

From what I've heard, Mavericks was all about cutting battery consumption, and Yosemite is all about convenience features.

LCfiner

Did they mention whether Yosemite would bring any more power optimisations?

From what I've heard, Mavericks was all about cutting battery consumption, and Yosemite is all about convenience features.

They didn’t talk about power, no. I’d say what you heard is about right.

Mavericks had a lot of under the hood changes that they pushed. this time is was UI, Continuity and built in app updates

how is the beta with a late 2013 27-inch iMac? don't wanna risk anything...

edit: and if I install it, I'll be able to update to the public release this fall without any issues, right?

LeleSocho

Banned
Yosemite is niiiiiiiiiice
too bad that the iTunes icon is still the old one :(

First impression: This design is obviously built with high ppi screens in mind.

giga

This stuff is pretty cool: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/03/more-ios-8-tidbits/

Share sheet customizations - When sharing an image, website, or other type of media, users can now customize their sharing options. The list of apps where content can be shared can be rearranged and disabled, as can the media options like Copy, Print, and AirPlay. Some sheet icons also have a new look that eliminates the black border in iOS 7.

sharescreen.jpg

Request desktop site in Safari - As noted by a Twitter user, Safari now includes an option to "Request Desktop Site," which will load the desktop version of a site rather than the mobile version.

requestdesktop.jpg

Messages - Along with several improvements to group message management, there are now options to remove stored messages after a set period of time of 30 days or one year, which will allow users who have extensive iMessage threads to free up valuable space. When adding an image to a message, there's a new feature displaying recent photos for quick insertion.

messages.jpg

Top Bottom