• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Jinroh

So I finally installed the yosemite beta, and except for the windows 8 like flat style nothing differs that much right now, especially if you don't use an iphone or a similar device.

I'm really starting to dislike this new trend of making everything flat. In 4-5 years there will be another trend with transpency and depth/3d and it's probably going to be some kind of cycle.

I wish all these operating systems weren't trying to copy each others' interfaces.

mrkgoo

So I finally installed the yosemite beta, and except for the windows 8 like flat style nothing differs that much right now, especially if you don't use an iphone or a similar device.

I'm really starting to dislike this new trend of making everything flat. In 4-5 years there will be another trend with transpency and depth/3d and it's probably going to be some kind of cycle.

I wish all these operating systems weren't trying to copy each others' interfaces.

What's really wrong with "trends"? You assume that there's some magical end goal that stuff like this has to reach, but really the landscape is wide open.

Epix

Gray scale mode.

grayscaleios8.jpg

pxleyes

Banned
Exactly, the landscape is wide open, so why are they all copying each others?

When you get down to it, there are very few similarities between Windows 8 and OS X 10.10. Saying they both are 'flat' is about as useful as saying the both have 'icons'.

Squalor

When you get down to it, there are very few similarities between Windows 8 and OS X 10.10. Saying they both are 'flat' is about as useful as saying the both have 'icons'.
Who has time for appreciating design and subtlety when one can make broad generalizations?

Majine

Banned
I'm glad they are spending a little more time on iPad this time around, with that Safari tab view and Mail multitasking. iOS7 was an iPhone OS through and through.

It struck me that this has to be the first iOS update in a really, really long time where they basically didn't touch the Music app whatsoever.

Given that there's been talk about possibly breaking the iTunes Radio functionality out of the Music app, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new build of the Music app appear in later betas, though. That debate could plausibly hold it back.

I had the same feeling. It looks really bad and Vista-y on my Air.

iPhone 4S and better, iPad 2/mini and better.

I wonder when Apple's finally going to retire support for all of their A5-based devices. That thing's been a serious workhorse for them (and it's interesting that the A6 hasn't gotten nearly as much use from them).

Majine

Banned
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the Health app. Is it only working with Fitbits and the like, or is it using the M7 Co-processor in some way?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the Health app. Is it only working with Fitbits and the like, or is it using the M7 Co-processor in some way?

It's really a repository for other apps/accessories to exchange data with each other. I think it's a tiny bit sloppy how user-transparent it all is when it's mostly stuff you shouldn't be editing manually, tbh, but I expect it to get revised very heavily over the course of the beta.

I wonder when Apple's finally going to retire support for all of their A5-based devices. That thing's been a serious workhorse for them (and it's interesting that the A6 hasn't gotten nearly as much use from them).

Next year. These devices get 4 years of OS, A5 gets iOS 5,6,7,8 and 9 will likely not work. A4 got 4,5,6,7. Minus the iPad 1 which got iOS 3,4,5 but only had 256mb of RAM unlike the iPhone 4 A4 which had 512 and allowed it to go up to iOS 7.

Zutroy

Would it be safe install this virtually?

I tried this during my lunch at work today. Updated from Maverick VM without any issues, although the performance was really poor compared to the Maverick VM and transparency seemed to be turned off.

Only spent about 10 minutes with it though so some settings tweaks may have sorted that.

Next year. These devices get 4 years of OS, A5 gets iOS 5,6,7,8 and 9 will likely not work. A4 got 4,5,6,7. Minus the iPad 1 which got iOS 3,4,5 but only had 256mb of RAM unlike the iPhone 4 A4 which had 512 and allowed it to go up to iOS 7.

Next year? They're still selling iPad minis with A5s in them. No way does support for those get retired so fast.

Is it illegal to post a link to the OS X Yosemite desktop photos?

If anyone here using the beta can post the photos or a link to the hi-res images that would be awesome!

Yeah, I think they will keep around the A5. Even if it is lacking some features, it wasn't a dog like the A4.

They haven't done nearly as much die-shrink work on the A6, either - it's only ever been in the iPhone 5 and 5C (functionally the same phone) and in the 4th-gen iPad (A6X). Obviously the A6 devices will get software support for a good long time but I wouldn't be surprised to see the A5 marginally outlast the A6 in terms of actually existing in Apple's still-for-sale products.

Part of this is impacted, though, by the fact that Apple thought the 5C would sell much, much more than it actually did (and they underestimated how much people would want the 5S).

Still think the AppleTV will leapfrog over the A6 just like the iPad Mini did when it went Retina.

subrock

Is it illegal to post a link to the OS X Yosemite desktop photos?

If anyone here using the beta can post the photos or a link to the hi-res images that would be awesome!

found with about 15 seconds of googling

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Yosemite.jpg

last year (and year before) didn't apple release an Apple TV software update beta? No sign of it on the dev center.

appstoreappstoreappstore

last year (and year before) didn't apple release an Apple TV software update beta? No sign of it on the dev center.

appstoreappstoreappstore

An app store wouldn't happen without an announcement of an SDK.

The likely order of operations is just about going to have to be either:

1. New Apple TV hardware with a camera-based voice/gesture interface replacing the remote (think Kinect) and no app store yet goes on sale
2. Announcement of new version of the OS for that hardware that opens up the SDK to developers, adds an app store, et cetera
3. Release of that OS, flood of apps/channels.

or

1. New Apple TV hardware with a camera-based voice/gesture interface replacing the remote (think Kinect) *and* an app store is announced but hardware is only given to developers for a period of 3-6 months before it goes to retail
2. That new hardware is released to retail with the final version of its OS and a full app store

In either case, it wouldn't be a stealth update.

giga

Apps can now display their system settings (notifications, background refresh, etc.) in-app, instead of forcing users to go to the Settings app.

osAS2Co.png

right, but if they're not announcing a Software Update yet, they could be holding it back for a Sept/Oct conference, announce the software/hardware changes then and ship the product and software a month or so later.
The original iPad was released end of Jan and released start of April, just over 2 months, so I doubt developers would need 3-6 months to get apps ready.

jstripes

Banned
They haven't done nearly as much die-shrink work on the A6, either - it's only ever been in the iPhone 5 and 5C (functionally the same phone) and in the 4th-gen iPad (A6X). Obviously the A6 devices will get software support for a good long time but I wouldn't be surprised to see the A5 marginally outlast the A6 in terms of actually existing in Apple's still-for-sale products.

The A6 probably got shelved because of its 32 bitness vs the A7's 64 bitness.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Apps can now display their system settings (notifications, background refresh, etc.) in-app, instead of forcing users to go to the Settings app.

osAS2Co.png

Good. I like being able to access settings through settings, but it's also frustrating that some Apps register with Settings and some have options menus which are not registered with settings, so it's never immediately clear where I'm supposed to go. Having two paths of entry would be useful IMHO.

osAS2Co.png

Fantastic. This has often been very confused, to put it politely.

Hopefully Apple starts enforcing this at some date - some apps put preferences they'd rather people not see/use where it's least visible.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
lordt the new folder icons in yosemite are ugly as sin. please change them apple.

[edit] and please let me change the system font back to lucida grande. helvetica neue doesn't do it for me as a system font.

KtSlime

I think I like the new folders, they are really bright, but they remind me of System 7 folders for some reason; they are better than Kodiak-Tiger folders.

It's going to take a while for me to get used to Helvetica Neue, giving up Lucida Grande is going to be like giving up Chicago. *sigh*

Edit: Ugh, Apple is being really slow. I'm curious what font they will use for they system font in Japan, but they haven't released any Yosemite material in the region.

Top Bottom