• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Red

RIP Nitrous.

COAYDMg.png
Be still my heart

I see a time lapse option in iOS 8 for my 4S. Haven't seen this mentioned. Neat feature.

jstripes

Banned
Running Yosemite, it's weird seeing Helvetica all over the place.

Not bad, just weird. Like when Mac OS switched from Chicago to whatever.

Husker86

So this is the first time I've been a registered developer when a new version releases.

Yep...last time I update to first dev beta release!

On my MBA words are not aligned right in some toolbars (notably the "Agree" and "Disagree" buttons in popups).

iPhone is kinda crashy and I've only opened the Settings menu so far.

Luckily neither device are my main PC/phone.

I knew this kind of thing happens, but I couldn't resist.

That said...OSX 10.10 is pretty; I like it.

Iacobellis

Apps can now display their system settings (notifications, background refresh, etc.) in-app, instead of forcing users to go to the Settings app.

osAS2Co.png

It seems moving forward with iOS 8, Apple is becoming less restrictive and just going all-out open. I really think this is something we would have only seen under Tim/Jony/Craig.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Apps can now display their system settings (notifications, background refresh, etc.) in-app, instead of forcing users to go to the Settings app.

osAS2Co.png
Are they always in settings but synched with the app if visible there? That would be nice.

Edit ahh system settings so things that would not have been in individual app settings before.
Thought this was shared settings whether accessed through the settings menu or through the app.

giga

The Finder Sync extension basically describes Dropbox. Looks like they don't have to hack their way into the Finder anymore.

Each Finder Sync extension registers one or more directories. The extension monitors those directories, setting badge icons and providing custom shortcut menus whenever the user browses their contents. Using the extension, you can also add a toolbar button to the Finder window.

The Finder Sync extension is designed to support apps that sync a local directory with a remote data source. This extension improves the user experience by providing immediate visual feedback directly in the Finder. Badge icons display the state of each item, and custom shortcut menus let users manage the contents. Custom toolbar buttons can also provide global actions, such as opening the managed directory or force-syncing its contents.

Fuchsdh

I think I like the new folders, they are really bright, but they remind me of System 7 folders for some reason; they are better than Kodiak-Tiger folders.

It's going to take a while for me to get used to Helvetica Neue, giving up Lucida Grande is going to be like giving up Chicago. *sigh*

Edit: Ugh, Apple is being really slow. I'm curious what font they will use for they system font in Japan, but they haven't released any Yosemite material in the region.

Yeah they remind me of System 7 too. And I think Helvetica just looks "wrong", probably due to looking at Lucida for so long. I do miss Chicago (and Charcoal) but such is life. Tech has advanced so Lucida has served its role.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah interesting - what are we gonna do call Apple Care or something so they can tell us the "Last Location"? How is that helpful?
How did you use find my iphone when your battery was full? Pro tip: you would do it the exact same way when it dies.

Not helpful if someone steals it, helpful if it dies between the couch cushions.

jstripes

Banned
Wow. Yosemite shows just how hacked together iTunes is at this point.

It looks like it uses non-standard controls and windows.

Hopefully Apple is dogfooding Swift and preparing for a Final Cut-like relaunch of iTunes.

KtSlime

Wow. Yosemite shows just how hacked together iTunes is at this point.

It looks like it uses non-standard controls and windows.

Hopefully Apple is dogfooding Swift and preparing for a Final Cut-like relaunch of iTunes.

Known this for the past 11 years (the sucktitude of iTunes). I've been an ardent supporter of the death of Carbon since its original announcement; and have decried its inferiority and the eventual depreciation ever since Apple first proposed carbonization.

iTunes 11 got better, and has some neat features, but every-time I see it bouncing in the Dock I can't help but feel a bit queazy knowing that it is still full of APIs that were essentially, or ought to have been (if it weren't for MS and Adobe) depreciated 13 years ago with the initial release of Mac OS X.

LeleSocho

Banned
Known this for the past 11 years (the sucktitude of iTunes). I've been an ardent supporter of the death of Carbon since its original announcement; and have decried its inferiority and the eventual depreciation ever since Apple first proposed carbonization.

iTunes 11 got better, and has some neat features, but every-time I see it bouncing in the Dock I can't help but feel a bit queazy knowing that it is still full of APIs that were essentially, or ought to have been (if it weren't for MS and Adobe) depreciated 13 years ago with the initial release of Mac OS X.

So wait... are you telling me that iTunes is a Carbon app? You just blew my mind sir.

Iacobellis

The green "stoplight" button still behaves in the 10.9 fashion, and then there's this in fullscreen.

XyVtb7F.jpg

I imagine iTunes in Yosemite right now is basically the same one we have in 10.9. I'm expecting a reveal of a better, redesigned version in the fall closer to launch. Perhaps integration with Beats?

mrkgoo

osAS2Co.png

That image shows the settings in the settings app (or at least it looks like it).

Does it mean what you're saying and the individual settings can be accessed in the actual app itself, or that you can now access through the individual app settings in settings, as well as in, say, the background refresh area?

Iacobellis

That image shows the settings in the settings app (or at least it looks like it).

Does it mean what you're saying and the individual settings can be accessed in the actual app itself, or that you can now access through the individual app settings in settings, as well as in, say, the background refresh area?

As of Beta 1, every app now has a section in the Settings app. Every app.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, iOS8 is continuing to impress me. Can't wait for the fall.

KtSlime

So wait... are you telling me that iTunes is a Carbon app? You just blew my mind sir.

It started out that way...

iTunes has been Cocoa for nearly 3 years.

Technically it is a Cocoa app, in the way that if you keep adding water to mud eventually people will start calling the mixture water. Not that I would want to drink that 'water'.

There are some features of iTunes, that very much act just like they did in Carbon apps, as if they simply pulled it into the executable so they wouldn't have to keep an external foundation. This is how they turned the app into a Cocoa app, and as someone who has used every iteration of the Mac OS for over the past 20 years it's apparent.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, one more thing I found distressing.. in the keynote there was a mention that Windows8 was required for the new iCloud stuff. Has there been any clarification on that I may not have seen yet? My desktop is unfortunately not a Mac and I run windows 7.

SuperPac

Yep...last time I update to first dev beta release!

iPhone is kinda crashy and I've only opened the Settings menu so far.

Luckily neither device are my main PC/phone.

I knew this kind of thing happens, but I couldn't resist.

I have always rolled the dice and installed it on my main phone. Last year that proved to be a bad idea as the phone would restart while I was on conference calls which was always fun. But they get better as consecutive betas go on and things get fixed. Usually the schedule is every month, sometimes more. Just couldn't resist this time.

Installed 10.10 on my MacBook Air which is not my main computer. So that'll work out fine I think.

mrkgoo

As of Beta 1, every app now has a section in the Settings app. Every app.

Oh, god the horror.

Makes sense sort of, though.

Funny, I remember in the early days, it was handy, but devs increasingly skipped on settings in the settings app, because no-one liked to leave the app to change a setting.

On the one hand it kind of makes sense to have "background refresh" have all the apps in there, because not all apps will use that feature. ON the other, it might be nice to have a long list be actually organised.

One of my biggest beefs is scrolling the list of apps under "usage" trying to find an app by its icon, because the list is ordered by usage, and an app may fluctuate.

LeleSocho

Banned
iTunes has been Cocoa for nearly 3 years.

So since iTunes 11? Still mind blowing to me, what the hell are they waiting for to redo the app from scratch?
Maybe the fact that the current Yosemite lacks a newer version of it it's a sign of things going forward.

Majine

Banned
iCloud Drive was a reminder this isn't Jobs Era anymore. I remember him saying when they unveiled iCloud that their goal was to kill off the filesystem, and that Dropbox and the like was not the answer.

And here we are.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah its a real shame because he was such an infallible man who was correct 100% of the time about everything.

You'd think it'd be easy just to blindly follow what he said one time. But alas, here we are.

ramyeon

So since iTunes 11? Still mind blowing to me, what the hell are they waiting for to redo the app from scratch?
Maybe the fact that the current Yosemite lacks a newer version of it it's a sign of things going forward.
I don't recall the newer versions of iTunes ever being available alongside betas of the OS.

There will be a new version with the public release though, in the keynote the icon was different.

Majine

Banned
Yeah its a real shame because he was such an infallible man who was correct 100% of the time about everything.

You'd think it'd be easy just to blindly follow what he said one time. But alas, here we are.

I never said he was right.

jstripes

Banned

Windows is the problem here.

iTunes on Windows and iTunes on Mac sorta share the same codebase. At least, they did last time I heard. (Which is why iTunes on Windows is such garbage.) iPhone, and previously iPod, being the reason for this.

Apple doesn't have a modern wrapper for iTunes on Windows, so that's why it hasn't evolved much.

Honestly, they should maintain each app separately, but they don't.

Fuchsdh

I'm thinking iTunes for Windows is one reason, but ultimately that's no excuse. They need to bring QuickTime X over to Windows while they're rewriting iTunes.

Which reminds me is Safari for Windows still a thing?

Iacobellis

I don't recall the newer versions of iTunes ever being available alongside betas of the OS.

There will be a new version with the public release though, in the keynote the icon was different.

I'm happy we are done with iTunes betas. Was always so annoying needing to install that just to deploy an iOS beta onto your iDevice.

I'm thinking iTunes for Windows is one reason, but ultimately that's no excuse. They need to bring QuickTime X over to Windows while they're rewriting iTunes.

Which reminds me is Safari for Windows still a thing?

Nope, support for Safari was dropped in 2012 I think. Safari was always slower on Windows, same for iTunes.

Oh, one more thing I found distressing.. in the keynote there was a mention that Windows8 was required for the new iCloud stuff. Has there been any clarification on that I may not have seen yet? My desktop is unfortunately not a Mac and I run windows 7.

Yeah I've been trying to find this out also for our work PCs. Moving away from iTunes for file sharing to iCloud on a Win 7 environment.

giga

In the session, he said there's an API now to go directly to that page in your app.

mrkgoo

iCloud Drive was a reminder this isn't Jobs Era anymore. I remember him saying when they unveiled iCloud that their goal was to kill off the filesystem, and that Dropbox and the like was not the answer.

And here we are.

Steve jobs says a lot of things. I think they actually looked into acquiring Dropbox at one point.

jts

...hate me...
Steve jobs says a lot of things. I think they actually looked into acquiring Dropbox at one point.
They did. Steve met with the guys. After negotiations went south, Steve supposedly said to them something like that they were simply a service and would be mimicked easily. And ids kinda habidding.

Adding to that, even during Steve's era, Apple would backpedal a lot of times from stuff they or him said publicly.

Could someone explain to me in layman terms the differences between the new iOS 8 extensibility feature and the way androind handles data sharing between apps? I feel like android does things in a more traditional open platform way and iOS is still more secure but possibly limited way? I could be completely wrong though.

Also what are the limits if any of this feature, like is it possible for someone to create an extension for any app they want to or do they only work on built in iOS apps? Is the functionality of extensions limited at what you can do with them or can you make an extension do whatever you want to another app?

Mindwipe

Is anyone else excited about what sacred cows might be slaughtered in iOS9?

People have said for years that Apple would "never" do a centralised file system, or allow replacement keyboards. And yet they did.

What's next? Bluetooth file transfer to other devices (maybe in the form of Airdrop dropping down to bt to send files to non-Apple devices)? Unsigned applications with the relevant tickbox, like Gatekeeper? Default applications? Actual user accounts (I'm not even sure this needs to be the full monty, just something like presence that is fed through to each app to let it know who is using the device at the time - so it tells Facebook to load the correct profile).

Red

Is anyone else excited about what sacred cows might be slaughtered in iOS9?

People have said for years that Apple would "never" do a centralised file system, or allow replacement keyboards. And yet they did.

What's next? Bluetooth file transfer to other devices (maybe in the form of Airdrop dropping down to bt to send files to non-Apple devices)? Unsigned applications with the relevant tickbox, like Gatekeeper? Default applications? Actual user accounts (I'm not even sure this needs to be the full monty, just something like presence that is fed through to each app to let it know who is using the device at the time - so it tells Facebook to load the correct profile).
After family sharing, I hope user accounts aren't far behind.

Filesystem access on-device is one of the few things I'm hoping for. With keyboard replacements and app to app communication, Apple has nearly completely countered my desire for modern Android.

Is Hey, Siri working yet? Tried with a plugged in phone but nothing happened.

Top Bottom