• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

They replace everything below the input line and can't touch anything above the input line:

Voice input would have to come from another source (maybe Google?) and the UI would be hard under Apple's restrictions.

I don't think its a big restriction for most who use the keyboard just for typing

Vyer

What are we talking about when saying 'manipulate the cursor with the keyboard'? What keys currently do that manipulation?

Squalor

What are we talking about when saying 'manipulate the cursor with the keyboard'? What keys currently do that manipulation?
On the text line above the keyboard, you can move the cursor with the magnifying glass. It's how you select, copy, paste, et cetera.

If I am understanding this correctly, none of these processes can be changed with third-party keyboards.

fireside

No keys currently do that. But a third-party keyboard would not be able to add in that feature by adding some arrow keys to move the cursor around, for example.

Terrell

I'm sure it's been discussed, but is anyone excited about the barely-mentioned Photos app?
It just feels like the beginning of a move to iOS-like interfacing, starting with the death of iPhoto.
This may be the start of something big... QuickTime replaced with Videos, Photo Booth replaced with Camera, and maybe... if we're good... a decentralization of iTunes with a separate store app and media grouped into these separate respective apps just like iOS.

Oh lordy....

GWX

That's just one example, though.

Considering Apple has opened up Siri and Touch ID to third-party developers, I think it would make sense to allow them to borrow the keyboard features.

We'll see, I suppose.

They did? Must have missed that.

I'm sure it's been discussed, but is anyone excited about the barely-mentioned Photos app?
It just feels like the beginning of a move to iOS-like interfacing, starting with the death of iPhoto.
This may be the start of something big... QuickTime replaced with Videos, Photo Booth replaced with Camera, and maybe... if we're good... a decentralization of iTunes with a separate store app and media grouped into these separate respective apps just like iOS.

Oh lordy....

It has me intrigued but I have low expectations that Apple will get it done right. I am happy that iPhoto seems to be dying/dead though. Such a terrible program.

Squalor

They did? Must have missed that.
Yeah, one example Craig talked about is with music identification.

You can say "Siri, what's that song?"

And, assuming you have Shazam/SoundHound, Siri will use the application without opening it to tell you what the song is.

Oh lordy....
I like this. The Photos app not coming out until 2015 seems to back up that Apple's got big plans around this.

sikkinixx

And, assuming you have Shazam/SoundHound, Siri will use the application without opening it to tell you what the song is.

I don't think that's the case. iOS 8 has Shazam baked in for Siri, you can't use Soundhound. Just like it uses The Weather Channel for weather, you can't opt to use another service.

GWX

I don't think that's the case. iOS 8 has Shazam baked in for Siri, you can't use Soundhound. Just like it uses The Weather Channel for weather, you can't opt to use another service.

Yup, I think that's the truth. Open Siri APIs would be awesome, but considering what we've got monday, I'm going to forgive them (for now). I'm sure we'll get them next year, considering the way things are going!

rezuth

No, you just activate Siri and if you dont say anything directly it starts identifying for music.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Yosemite beta send updates through the App Store updater, right?

keiichi

So, I'm really digging the ability to scroll through all(?) the pictures associated to a conversation via the details tab. It used to be a pain having to scroll up and select the load earlier messages and hope that the picture I was looking for was there.

EDIT: But I don't currently see a way to delete them :(

Squalor

So, I'm really digging the ability to scroll through all(?) the pictures associated to a conversation via the details tab. It used to be a pain having to scroll up and select the load earlier messages and hope that the picture I was looking for was there.

EDIT: But I don't currently see a way to delete them :(
In "Details," under "Attachments," where the pictures are, press and hold the picture. Three windows pop up: "Copy," "Delete," "More..."

Estocolmo

It struck me that this has to be the first iOS update in a really, really long time where they basically didn't touch the Music app whatsoever.

Given that there's been talk about possibly breaking the iTunes Radio functionality out of the Music app, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new build of the Music app appear in later betas, though. That debate could plausibly hold it back.

I hope they break out the music part of iTunes into a separate app on Mac and make dedicated apps of iOs sync, apps, videos, podcasts and so on. Just like it is separated on the iPhone.

KtSlime

I wonder if Siri will be extensible as well.
With the home automation stuff it kind of is. The HomeKit devices register their names and actions in a database and then you can access them with Siri. In the video Apple said that they don't want to limit the devices to a prescribed set of activities, so the vocabulary are extensible.

I imagine it's only a matter of time before actions and apps are registering themselves in a similar database for Siri.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to fav stuff on soundcloud through Siri.

I still can't figure out how to get sound working on my MacBook Air. Sound in System Preference won't ever load, and trying to volume buttons only result in freezes. Kind of hard to work on an audio app with no sound. lol

beta 2 can't come soon enough for me.

Shearie

Anyone in the iOS 8 Beta, could you PLEASE answer one simple question for me?

Can you quick reply messages in the Notification Center? I'm NOT talking about quick replying from notification alerts or banners.

The reason I ask this is because I have not seen one video where anyone quick replied directly from the NC and it has me worried.

Anyone in the iOS 8 Beta, could you PLEASE answer one simple question for me?

Can you quick reply messages in the Notification Center? I'm NOT talking about quick replying from notification alerts or banners.

The reason I ask this is because I have not seen one video where anyone quick replied directly from the NC and it has me worried.

I got you.

FmCHglLl.jpg
I wish, but I doubt it since it wasn't mentioned. I'd love to say "Play most recent Giant Bombcast episode in Instacast" and have it work.

huh. I love the GB but Instacast hasn't been worth it compared to the stock podcast app in a little bit since they issued the last major update. I love the new podcasts app. Switched back. Especially with iCloud syncing between my iPad and Macbook.

Terrell

I like this. The Photos app not coming out until 2015 seems to back up that Apple's got big plans around this.

Yeah, the whole idea has me incredibly excited. iPhoto is basically a Mac staple, so if they are willing to fix that broken nonsense by just tearing it all down, I have to think that NOTHING is sacred, at this point, not even (or perhaps especially not) iTunes.

But speaking of photos, can anyone confirm for me that the Camera Roll/Photo Stream divide is now officially dead and gone in iOS? The way they were talking, it sounded like they would be the same thing.

Appleman

It struck me that this has to be the first iOS update in a really, really long time where they basically didn't touch the Music app whatsoever.

Given that there's been talk about possibly breaking the iTunes Radio functionality out of the Music app, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new build of the Music app appear in later betas, though. That debate could plausibly hold it back.

Yeah, where the fuck is Up Next?

iPad 1 got 3, 4 and 5.
iPod touch 4G got 4, 5, 6.
iPhone 4 got 4, 5, 6, 7.

... this is exactly what I said, except you also added the iPod touch. Not sure what you're implying. If you're pointing out the difference in their longevity let me point you to how I mentioned the RAM. The A4 on each device had different tasks. The iPad had the highest resolution and 256mb of RAM. The iPod Touch had the same RAM but a lower resolution than the iPad to deal with. The iPhone had double the Ram of both devices but the lower resolution of the iPod compared to the iPad. Which is why you get the full 4 years of life out of the iPhone.

Next year? They're still selling iPad minis with A5s in them. No way does support for those get retired so fast.

So? They sell the 4S this year, and sold the 4 last year. Then when iOS 7 and the 5S came out the 4 got cut and it's last update. The 4s will see the same happen this year with 8 and the 6. They won't continue selling the device, and it won't get iOS9.

The mini won't either, the software won't support it, and they will discontinue it as they did with the iPad 2. That would give the Mini 3 years of support, same as the first iPad and it came out a year late as far as hardware is concerned so it makes sense that it wouldn't get 4.

Not sure why you would think any different, it's the exact pattern that has happened for the previous devices, there is nothing unique about it to think any different. The A5 while great is not 64bit, and has 512mb of RAM. When every device being sold by end of year is A6+ as well as 1GB RAM + next year when we are looking at the A9 and 2 models with 2GB of RAM and the weakest device having a 64bit A7 with 1GB of RAM why in the world would they continue to support the A5. You can bookmark this one, I'll take whatever dumb avatar you want to give me for length of iOS 9 if it is supported on iPhone 4s or iPad mini/iPad 2.

Devices 2010
iPhone 4 - A4 512mb - iOS 4
iPhone 3GS iOS 3-4

iPod Touch 4G - A4 256mb - iOS 4

iPad OG - A4 256mb - iOS 3

iPhone 4s - A5 512mb - iOS 5
iPhone 4 - A4 512mb - iOS 4
iPhone 3GS iOS 3-4

iPod Touch 4G - A4 256mb - iOS 4-5

iPad 2 - A5 512mb - iOS 5
(Discontinued) iPad OG - A4 256mb - iOS 3-5(Max at iOS 5)

iPhone 5 - A6 1GB - iOS 6
iPhone 4s - A5 512mb - iOS 5-6
iPhone 4 - A4 512mb - iOS 4-6
(Discontinued) Phone 3GS iOS 3-6(Max iOS 6)

iPod Touch 5G - A5 512mb - iOS iOS 6
(Discontinued)iPod Touch 5G - A4 256mb - iOS 4-6(Max of iOS 6)

iPad 4 A6 - 1GB - iOS 6
iPad 3(lol okay) - A5x - 512mb - iOS 5-6
iPad 2 - A5 512mb - iOS 5

iPad Mini - A5 512mb - iOS 6

iPhone 5s - A7 64bit 1GB - iOS 7
iPhone 5 - A6 1GB - iOS 6-7
iPhone 4s - A5 512mb - iOS 5-7
(Discontinued) iPhone 4 - A4 512mb - iOS 4-7(Max iOS7)

iPod Touch 5G - A5 512mb - iOS iOS 6-7

iPad Air - A7 - 1GB - iOS 6-7
iPad 4 A6 - 1GB - iOS 6-7
(Discontinued)iPad 3(lol okay) - A5x - 512mb - iOS 5-7
(Discontinued)iPad 2 - A5 512mb - iOS 5-7

iPad Mini Retina - A7 1GB - iOS 7
iPad Mini - A5 512mb - iOS 6-7

So there's a pretty obvious pattern of 3-4 years of support, as well as having only the prior two generations of devices being sold. The year the device becomes the 3rd generation from current it stops being sold and receives its last OS update that year. So this year should look like the following.

iPhone 6 - A8 2GB - iOS 8
iPhone 5s - A7 64bit 1GB - iOS 8
iPhone 5/5c - A6 1GB - iOS 6-8
(RIP) iPhone 4s - A5 512mb - iOS 5-8(Max Final Update iOS 8)

iPod Touch 6Gb - A7 1GB - iOS 8
iPod Touch 5G - A5 512mb - iOS iOS 6-8 (Max Final Update iOS 8)

iPad Air 2 - A8 2GB - iOS 8
iPad Air - A7 1GB - iOS 7-8
(Discontinued?)iPad 4 A6 - 1GB - iOS 6-8
(Discontinued)iPad 3(lol okay) - A5x - 512mb - iOS 5-8
(RIP)iPad 2 - A5 512mb - iOS 5-8 (Max Final Update iOS 8)

iPad Mini Retina 2 - A8 2GB - iOS 8
iPad Mini Retina - A7 1GB - iOS 7-8
(RIP)iPad Mini - A5 512mb - iOS 6-8 (Max Final Update iOS 8)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Some observations from watching the Keynote again..

Safari:

When he clicked the "Top Site" thumbnail it didn't perform the super slow and laggy zoom animation. I really hope that means it's gone. And that it won't be creating large PNG screenshots for the pages anymore. (A small JPG thumbnail is enough for me.) I also hope that it doesn't reload the page when I go back anymore.

In the location bar, it only shows the website URL. Not the whole thing. Like it does on iOS. Which I don't really care for. I hope that's optional. I want to see the whole URL.

Hand Off:

I wonder if it's WiFi based or BlueTooth based. I notice that he actually has BlueTooth turned off (No icon) on his iPhone. So I bet it's WiFi based. But is it really proximity based or wherever you are on the network no matter where? In one slide it showed the phone slide in from the side and make the Mac aware of it right then. I was wondering if that implied that it knew the proximity of the phone/ipad to the computer itself. Probably not. Would be neat though.

Yosemite:

The new widgets in Notification Center will probably convince me to dump BowTie and GeekTool as a method of displaying time, date and song information. Instead of a quick four-finger swipe up and back down to check the time, I will be able to just two-finger slide from the right. Well, as long as I have the Widgets panel showing instead of the Notifications. (I wish they'd keep them separate and have the Widgets on the left and NC on the right, or allow us to put both panels next to each other instead.)

Spotlight may make me use LaunchPad a lot less. Maybe not, but possibly. Notice how they never even used it during the keynote, but it's still there. The icon is in the Dock. But Spotlight made it look so much faster. I guess I'll see how my workflow adjusts itself.

iCloud Drive:

I really hope we can do the following:
A) Put a SymLink in our iCloud Drive folder and have it act like it contains the actual files. Like DropBox allows. I put SymLinks to all my photos folders in my DB and it syncs all my pictures to the cloud without me having to move my images.
B) Allow us to exclude certain files/folders from certain machines like DropBox's Selective Sync.
If it allows both of these I will buy the 200GB plan and sync all my important files from both my machines. I also hope it lets us keep some files on the server and only download them when we want to open them. Wishful thinking I know.

I hope this includes the Photo Stream and has a folder for these photos so I never have to open iPhoto again.

If Photos actually is going to replace iPhoto, hopefully it allows me to import older photos and actually use their created dates. Though I have a lot of photos that have 2018 as their year for some reason and haven't figured out how to change this. Is there a program for OS X to brute force change file attributes?

And if I can import them, hopefully with iCloud it just downloads previews and lets me download the full image when requested so I don't need to keep all my photos on all my devices but allow me to still have access to every single photo I've taken.

And if I can import them, hopefully with iCloud it just downloads previews and lets me download the full image when requested so I don't need to keep all my photos on all my devices but allow me to still have access to every single photo I've taken.

That's definitely what I'm looking for, too. I want to import all my existing photos into Photos (their new application) on my Macbook, have it keep all my current sorting, and put those in my photo stream to be viewed (but not automatically downloaded) on all my devices. Then, whenever I take a photo on my iPhone/iPad whatever, I want it to go to the photo stream to be viewed everywhere, but also automatically downloaded on my Macbook so I can sort it later.

The current system actually does this with my Windows laptop, where any photo I take on my phone goes straight to the photo stream and the iCloud panel automatically downloads it and puts it in a folder. So I guess what I'm saying is don't rock the boat.

mrkgoo

Some observations from watching the Keynote again..

Safari:

When he clicked the "Top Site" thumbnail it didn't perform the super slow and laggy zoom animation. I really hope that means it's gone. And that it won't be creating large PNG screenshots for the pages anymore. (A small JPG thumbnail is enough for me.) I also hope that it doesn't reload the page when I go back anymore.

In the location bar, it only shows the website URL. Not the whole thing. Like it does on iOS. Which I don't really care for. I hope that's optional. I want to see the whole URL.

Hand Off:

I wonder if it's WiFi based or BlueTooth based. I notice that he actually has BlueTooth turned off (No icon) on his iPhone. So I bet it's WiFi based. But is it really proximity based or wherever you are on the network no matter where? In one slide it showed the phone slide in from the side and make the Mac aware of it right then. I was wondering if that implied that it knew the proximity of the phone/ipad to the computer itself. Probably not. Would be neat though.

Yosemite:

The new widgets in Notification Center will probably convince me to dump BowTie and GeekTool as a method of displaying time, date and song information. Instead of a quick four-finger swipe up and back down to check the time, I will be able to just two-finger slide from the right. Well, as long as I have the Widgets panel showing instead of the Notifications. (I wish they'd keep them separate and have the Widgets on the left and NC on the right, or allow us to put both panels next to each other instead.)

Spotlight may make me use LaunchPad a lot less. Maybe not, but possibly. Notice how they never even used it during the keynote, but it's still there. The icon is in the Dock. But Spotlight made it look so much faster. I guess I'll see how my workflow adjusts itself.

iCloud Drive:

I really hope we can do the following:
A) Put a SymLink in our iCloud Drive folder and have it act like it contains the actual files. Like DropBox allows. I put SymLinks to all my photos folders in my DB and it syncs all my pictures to the cloud without me having to move my images.
B) Allow us to exclude certain files/folders from certain machines like DropBox's Selective Sync.
If it allows both of these I will buy the 200GB plan and sync all my important files from both my machines. I also hope it lets us keep some files on the server and only download them when we want to open them. Wishful thinking I know.

I hope this includes the Photo Stream and has a folder for these photos so I never have to open iPhoto again.

If Photos actually is going to replace iPhoto, hopefully it allows me to import older photos and actually use their created dates. Though I have a lot of photos that have 2018 as their year for some reason and haven't figured out how to change this. Is there a program for OS X to brute force change file attributes?

iPhoto has a way of batch changing dates and times and even a flag to alter the original file. If I remember correctly.

mollipen

Yeah, the whole idea has me incredibly excited. iPhoto is basically a Mac staple, so if they are willing to fix that broken nonsense by just tearing it all down, I have to think that NOTHING is sacred, at this point, not even (or perhaps especially not) iTunes.

Given that I HATE the direction both Pages and GarageBand have gone in recently, I'm not sure I like the idea of Apple "tearing it all down" for more apps.

mrkgoo

That's definitely what I'm looking for, too. I want to import all my existing photos into Photos (their new application) on my Macbook, have it keep all my current sorting, and put those in my photo stream to be viewed (but not automatically downloaded) on all my devices. Then, whenever I take a photo on my iPhone/iPad whatever, I want it to go to the photo stream to be viewed everywhere, but also automatically downloaded on my Macbook so I can sort it later.

The current system actually does this with my Windows laptop, where any photo I take on my phone goes straight to the photo stream and the iCloud panel automatically downloads it and puts it in a folder. So I guess what I'm saying is don't rock the boat.

I'm not convinced that Apple is ditching iPhoto in favour of Photos. Photos is more a sync solution isn't it? What about a local solution for those that don't use iCloud? Would Photos be robust enough compared to the features that iPhoto offered? Or maybe they're hoping people just move to Aperture for that?

I'm not convinced that Apple is ditching iPhoto in favour of Photos. Photos is more a sync solution isn't it? What about a local solution for those that don't use iCloud? Would Photos be robust enough compared to the features that iPhoto offered? Or maybe they're hoping people just move to Aperture for that?

That's the impression I got, but I could be wrong. I'm scrubbing through the keynote now to see what they said again

edit: Here's my bullet points of what they said:

- Grounds-up
- "Photos"
- Buttery scrolling
- Moments, collections, years
- Scrub through photos
- Has the same editing tools as displayed on iOS
- Early 2015 (so it's directly competing with The Witcher 3)

Too soon to tell if it's meant to be a replacement, if you ask me

Deku Tree

Oh now I need to turn on BTLE on both my phone and my computer. I've had that off for years. I guess it gives me a reason to use it in my car too.

Was there any news on public transport and cycling directions for Apple Maps?

Nothing on Maps at all as far as I could tell.

Maps, split screen apps, iPad as mac second screen were rumored to be pushed back to 8.1.
Could see a small apple event in early 2015 to show them off. Tie in Photos for Mac too.

Squalor

Someone already addressed your question, but I'd like to elaborate a little.

You can't quick reply to e-mails, though. You can only swipe down to mark the e-mail as read or trash the e-mail.

And you can't quick reply from the lock screen for anything.
Was there any news on public transport and cycling directions for Apple Maps?
In maps, after you input a location or directions, you have the ability to choose "Drive," "Walk," or "Apps."

From "Apps," you can choose to use any public transportation app you have downloaded on your phone as a way of navigating in Apple Maps.

Ydahs

So it seems like there is an issue with establishing a connection to WPA2 Enterprise WiFi networks. Can't connect to my university's wireless which absolutely sucks.

In maps, after you input a location or directions, you have the ability to choose "Drive," "Walk," or "Apps."

From "Apps," you can choose to use any public transportation app you have downloaded on your phone as a way of navigating in Apple Maps.

right, but it's been that way since iOS 6.

Top Bottom