• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Squalor

Apps have to opt in for it to work.
Developers would be dumb not to opt in.

I guarantee a majority of developers opt in. A lot of people would choose share-enabled apps over non-share-enabled ones.

Once everything has been rolled out to consumers, apps that support it will definitely be labeled as such.

EmiPrime

The device syncing and backup situation on Android is so much better than on iOS, syncing my iPhone was always a massive pain in the arse that didn't feel much more advanced than syncing my old iPod Mini.

I am a huge nerd for Apple stuff but (stock) Android 4.4 is leaps and bounds better than iOS7 and if iTunes is what's holding it back then it really needs a massive overhaul.

Deku Tree

I guarantee a majority of developers opt in. A lot of people would choose share-enabled apps over non-share-enabled ones.

Once everything has been rolled out to consumers, apps that support it will definitely be labeled as such.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure developers appreciate Apple giving them choice.

We don't even know how Apple is going to indicate which apps are share enabled or not, let alone if the overwhelming number of people will even know it exists as a feature. Let's not also forget older apps might not get updated/marked for sharing either. Leaving it to the thousands of developers out there to enable it makes me less excited than when it was announced. I wonder if the same opt in applies to music labels and movie studios too.

Squalor

We don't even know how Apple is going to indicate which apps are share enabled or not, let alone if the overwhelming number of people will even know it exists as a feature. Let's not also forget older apps might not get updated/marked for sharing either. Leaving it to the thousands of developers out there to enable it makes me less excited than when it was announced. I wonder if the same opt in applies to music labels and movie studios too.
Okay, I get it. You are just looking for something to complain about.

I am dropping out of this discussion.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure developers appreciate Apple giving them choice.
It seems like the most obvious thing for Apple to do.

It's fair to both developers and consumers.

The device syncing and backup situation on Android is so much better than on iOS, syncing my iPhone was always a massive pain in the arse that didn't feel much more advanced than syncing my old iPod Mini.

How does device syncing work on Android?

don't say drag n drop

Squalor

What syncing issues?

It's easy as hell. Plug the phone in. Press "sync."

Hell, now, you don't even have to plug the phone in unless it's the first time syncing after an update.

SuperPac

Apps have to opt in for it to work.

Not sure that's entirely accurate. I haven't seen the page myself, but developers have to agree to the updated iOS Paid Applications agreement (fairly sure you *have* to do that to launch a new paid app, period). For it to apply to older applications you apparently do have to check a box on the agreements page, but I'll be surprised if most don't agree to that.

Even if they don't, all it means is all new apps will be able to be family-shared and old ones won't.

Don't see why they wouldn't have to manually opt it, devs might not want to share apps amongst multiple users.

Ya, I understand why that's there, but I question how many developers won't want to partake which limits its usefulness.

Okay, I get it. You are just looking for something to complain about.

I am dropping out of this discussion.

It seems like the most obvious thing for Apple to do.

It's fair to both developers and consumers.

What? I was seriously looking forward to this feature and I understand why it's opt in, but the fact that it is opt in makes me cautious to what percentage of the developers will do it. If developers don't opt in, then the feature begins to lose its usefulness. I was excited about it with Sony; I was excited about it with Microsoft. We've seen where those end up eventually because developers are weary of free licenses.

Do we even know how this applies to music and movies? I can't imagine opting in is limited to developers if they're concerned about the content provider not wanting to share licenses.

We do know. It tells you in the App Store.

Question:

As a non-developer can I?

1. Install the first beta version of iOS 8 currently available
2. Install all subsequent beta versions by just downloading and updating the previous version.
3. Install final iOS 8 version without any hitch because I chose to use the beta versions of ios 8.
4. When does each beta version expire?
5. Can I revert back to ios 7 ?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anyone running it on a 2009 15" Macbook Pro with 4Gb of RAM? Just wondering how performance is at this point.
Yeah. I'm curious about a 2010 MBP. Though it has an SSD and 8GB RAM. I'm expecting good things. Who knows about 4GB. Is it at least an SSD? Or do you still have the HDD?

Anyway, I got too excited and acquired the DP through certain means with the intention of putting it in a VM. But it won't install. Heh. I'd put it on a second partition on my main machine, but I don't know if it would replace my current Recovery partition, or would it create its own? I'd probably be deleting the partition within a few hours anyway once I got my fill of checking out the goodness.

Maybe I'll just wait for my Public Beta email to come. I wouldn't want to ruin my Recovery partition yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
All cloud based, no messing around with iTunes.
How is music managed though? That's the real question. I mean assuming the person isn't one of those "Streaming only lol!!!" people. Someone who actually has music files on their computer.

Do they use an app? Does it upload via the cloud? Or do you need to copy it over yourself?

How is music managed though? That's the real question. I mean assuming the person isn't one of those "Streaming only lol!!!" people. Someone who actually has music files on their computer.

Do they use an app? Does it upload via the cloud? Or do you need to copy it over yourself?

You can drag and drop it over via USB, go cloud with Google Play, or use WiFi transfer apps like AirDroid.

AirDroid basically gives you access to your device via web browser on any device connected to the same WiFi network (you can use a password, of course). From there, you can transfer files over via WiFi. Works really well and I almost never have problems with it unlike iTunes that can't even find my iPhone half the time. You do end up having to deal with file/folder system stuff though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You can drag and drop it over via USB, go cloud with Google Play, or use WiFi transfer apps like AirDroid.

AirDroid basically gives you access to your device via web browser on any device connected to the same WiFi network (you can use a password, of course). From there, you can transfer files over via WiFi. Works really well and I almost never have problems with it unlike iTunes that can't even find my iPhone half the time. You do end up having to deal with file/folder system stuff though.
Apple really needs to step up their game with iTunes. Even if they don't split it into pieces, it still needs an iCloud aware rewrite. Some of us still keep our music on our computers. Half of mine is remixes and not purchased from iTunes. Which would require me to purchase iTunes Match and iCloud space.

I know I'll be purchasing iCloud space come this fall. I hope there's a nice iTunes update in the wings too. But I'm not expecting it.

Mobius 1

Question:

As a non-developer can I?

1. Install the first beta version of iOS 8 currently available
2. Install all subsequent beta versions by just downloading and updating the previous version.
3. Install final iOS 8 version without any hitch because I chose to use the beta versions of ios 8.
4. When does each beta version expire?
5. Can I revert back to ios 7 ?

1. No, unless a developer adds you to their device list.
2. Probably.
3. You may have to restore the device, but it should not be a problem.
4. With much pain and suffering, yes.

EmiPrime

I use Google Music which like with iTunes Match you can upload all your music to the cloud except it's free. I can choose what I keep on my device (including any albums I add to my library through their All Access pass) and what I just stream very easily. None of it counts towards my Google Drive space.

There's a Google Music Manager app for OS X that uploads your entire iTunes library to the cloud which if you leave running can monitor any additions.

Apple really needs to step up their game with iTunes. Even if they don't split it into pieces, it still needs an iCloud aware rewrite. Some of us still keep our music on our computers. Half of mine is remixes and not purchased from iTunes. Which would require me to purchase iTunes Match and iCloud space.

I know I'll be purchasing iCloud space come this fall. I hope there's a nice iTunes update in the wings too. But I'm not expecting it.

iTunes Match doesn't use your iCloud space.

(Though I do agree it need a GIANT overhaul)

I use Google Music which like with iTunes Match you can upload all your music to the cloud except it's free. I can choose what I keep on my device (including any albums I add to my library through their All Access pass) and what I just stream very easily. None of it counts towards my Google Drive space.

There's a Google Music Manager app for OS X that uploads your entire iTunes library to the cloud which if you leave running can monitor any additions.

I dislike Google Music since it's limited to 25,000 songs and last I checked there was no way to increase that limit.

And I hope I'm right about the iTunes thing. 10.0 was one thing. But we need a new rewritten iTunes. Though if Photos is gonna take forever, iTunes would probably also take a long time and not show up until next year. But hopefully there's something this fall. I just want iCloud synced playlists and metadata that doesn't require me to ever have to open iTunes to sync my play counts again! dammit!

I don't think there is any way they can avoid majorly overhauling iTunes and their Music devision with the purchase of Beats Music.

They now have:

iTunes Store Music - purchased local files
iTunes Match - subscription streaming of your local files
iTunes Radio - subscription Internet Radio
Beats Music - subscription music streaming

On top of Podcasts, TV, Movies, and Apps. There's no way they can just wedge in Beats Music into iTunes at this time.

The music market is so stupidly hyper-segmented now.

I wonder if it would make sense to remove the App Store from iTunes and tie it into the App Store on OS X? I'm not sure if that would be a better or worse thing.

ReAxion

“Music is such an important part of all of our lives and holds a special place within our hearts at Apple,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “That’s why we have kept investing in music and are bringing together these extraordinary teams so we can continue to create the most innovative music products and services in the world.”

“Music is such an important part of Apple’s DNA and always will be,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services.

So make iTunes good then!

Mindwipe

So make iTunes good then!

Yup. Hell, just making sharing a library between different accounts on the same Mac anything other than an enormous pain in the ass would be a start.

Wasn't good that the iOS Music app has had no attention in iOS8 either. It needed it.

I don't buy much from iTunes any more - Play Music and Amazon are so, so much cheaper, and Google Play Music as a service, even on it's free tier, is an astonishing service that everybody should use.

10.10 is terrible for me on a 15" Retina Macbook Pro. I wish I didn't install it. I guess now I just wait and hope that the next patch will fix these major problems.

The whole computer became unstable, Mail is downright unusable, and everything is a buggy mess.

Guess Who

Banned
10.10 is terrible for me on a 15" Retina Macbook Pro. I wish I didn't install it. I guess now I just wait and hope that the next patch will fix these major problems.

The whole computer became unstable, Mail is downright unusable, and everything is a buggy mess.

This is why you don't install early beta software on production machines, or at least make sure to back everything up before you do.

LeleSocho

Banned

Make a small partition and install it there like i did, you can play with it all you want while having the stable OS elsewhere safe...

Safe to assume iOS still won't be open enough to allow for a non-jailbreak version of something like f.lux? That's practically the only reason I jailbreak anymore.

So people using Yosemite on Macbook Air... how's it look? I remember a couple of you saying it's definitely designed for retina displays.

Deku Tree

I bet 10.10 will totally break Box Sync, and my best guess is that Box won't come out with 10.10 compatible OS X software until months after Yosemite goes public.

KtSlime

So people using Yosemite on Macbook Air... how's it look? I remember a couple of you saying it's definitely designed for retina displays.

I don't have an Air, but I have a Late 2008 MacBook, and the text leaves a lot to be desired. It's very much optimized for retina at the moment, text is blurry, cluttered, out of boundaries, highlighted text such as menus are especially jarring. But I'm sure it will get better, whenever you mess with the font it takes a lot of work to get things back to order.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iTunes Match doesn't use your iCloud space.

(Though I do agree it need a GIANT overhaul)
Yeah, even songs not available from iTunes don't use iCloud space, there's just a 25,000 song limit on non-iTunes purchased music.
I thought it used space for songs you didn't purchase tom Apple. I swear that was the caveat when it came out. Songs you own, but ripped from CDs yourself, would be matched against the store and wouldn't take space. But anything you own that isn't on the store takes space. And 50% of my music is OCRemixes, which Apple does not have on the store, and would therefore take up space. 12GB of game music out of a 24GB library. But it doesn't seem to mention that on the site anymore. Maybe they changed it. Which is nice. If my remixes can be on the cloud space usage-free for the low price of $25 a year.

But the original point was that I wanted the Music app to sync all my metadata from my iOS devices when I play songs and trickle them down into iTunes. I don't see that anywhere on the Apple site. All it says is that it lets you access all your music anywhere, which isn't really as important to me as the feature I actually want. If I play a song in a playlist that is sorted by say "Last Played" or "Play Count" then it should update the order on the device itself, then upload that play count change to the cloud and download it right then and there on my iPad and my Mac without me ever having to open iTunes. This is all I want. Does iTunes Match do this? Can someone confirm it does if they think it does? If it doesn't do this, then I see no reason to buy Match myself. But this feature would be enough for me to throw $25 at them yearly.

The weird thing is on my iPad, it does reorder the playlist. But it does not sync the changes over the cloud. But at least it does change the ordering of the playlist.

I just want changes synced through the cloud. And a background process on my Mac would update my iTunes library even if the computer is sleeping. I'd never open iTunes except to add songs if it did this. Literally never. My complaints about iTunes shittiness would disappear because I'd never have to use it.

I don't have an Air, but I have a Late 2008 MacBook, and the text leaves a lot to be desired. It's very much optimized for retina at the moment, text is blurry, cluttered, out of boundaries, highlighted text such as menus are especially jarring. But I'm sure it will get better, whenever you mess with the font it takes a lot of work to get things back to order.
Can you take some screens? Even though I have Retina, I'd be curious to see how it translates to non-Retina. I've started to notice the pixels on my pre-Retina iPad mini too. And I have a Mac mini connected to my HDTV. Or is there a problem with an NDA even though we've already seen it. Maybe just shots of stuff the audience has already seen anyway.

I thought it used space for songs you didn't purchase tom Apple. I swear that was the caveat when it came out. Songs you own, but ripped from CDs yourself, would be matched against the store and wouldn't take space. But anything you own that isn't on the store takes space. And 50% of my music is OCRemixes, which Apple does not have on the store, and would therefore take up space. 12GB of game music out of a 24GB library. But it doesn't seem to mention that on the site anymore. Maybe they changed it. Which is nice. If my remixes can be on the cloud space usage-free for the low price of $25 a year.

But the original point was that I wanted the Music app to sync all my metadata from my iOS devices when I play songs and trickle them down into iTunes. I don't see that anywhere on the Apple site. All it says is that it lets you access all your music anywhere, which isn't really as important to me as the feature I actually want. If I play a song in a playlist that is sorted by say "Last Played" or "Play Count" then it should update the order on the device itself, then upload that play count change to the cloud and download it right then and there on my iPad and my Mac without me ever having to open iTunes. This is all I want. Does iTunes Match do this? Can someone confirm it does if they think it does? If it doesn't do this, then I see no reason to buy Match myself. But this feature would be enough for me to throw $25 at them yearly.

The weird thing is on my iPad, it does reorder the playlist. But it does not sync the changes over the cloud. But at least it does change the ordering of the playlist.

I just want changes synced through the cloud. And a background process on my Mac would update my iTunes library even if the computer is sleeping. I'd never open iTunes except to add songs if it did this. Literally never. My complaints about iTunes shittiness would disappear because I'd never have to use it.

He's right. It doesn't use your iCloud space (I'm still on the 5GB free option), you can store unlimited songs if it matches in the iTunes database, and up to 25,000 songs can be uploaded if they can't. I only have 400 songs purchased from iTunes, another 600 matched in their database, and then 200 were uploaded. So I can upload another 24,800 songs if I feel like before I hit their limit

As for the play count thing, I think it's SUPPOSED to update the metadata, let me try that now. I'll do a quick test for you and report back

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
He's right. It doesn't use your iCloud space (I'm still on the 5GB free option), you can store unlimited songs if it matches in the iTunes database, and up to 25,000 songs can be uploaded if they can't. I only have 400 songs purchased from iTunes, another 600 matched in their database, and then 200 were uploaded. So I can upload another 24,800 songs if I feel like before I hit their limit
Well I have 4000 songs. So I guess I'm safe enough. 2000 of them would be N/A in iTunes I'd assume.

As for the play count thing, I think it's SUPPOSED to update the metadata, let me try that now. I'll do a quick test for you and report back
Make sure you sort a playlist by Date Played or check the count on your iTunes after playing to see if the number increased.

Because if it does that, then this fall I'll be buying me some Match. (The site is no help at all.)

I can't see iTunes automatically updating without intervention though. But does it at least update on all your iOS devices? Like if you have your phone, play a song, and have it immediately mark that song as last played "NOW" on the iPad as well. That I would be interested in. And when you open iTunes, does it do the metadata updating right away or do you have to initiate a sync?

Top Bottom