• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Rlan

Are there any good, direct screen cap examples of iOS8 Widgets in use? I really like the idea and would like to mock up some stuff, but I don't have iOS8 on my device at the moment :p

HoTHiTTeR

So it seems like there is an issue with establishing a connection to WPA2 Enterprise WiFi networks. Can't connect to my university's wireless which absolutely sucks.

Mine works at my main office. We use PEAP with a basic radius server behind it. Try wiping out the config and connecting again, or create a new user on the mac?

Someone already addressed your question, but I'd like to elaborate a little.

You can't quick reply to e-mails, though. You can only swipe down to mark the e-mail as read or trash the e-mail.

And you can't quick reply from the lock screen for anything.

In maps, after you input a location or directions, you have the ability to choose "Drive," "Walk," or "Apps."

From "Apps," you can choose to use any public transportation app you have downloaded on your phone as a way of navigating in Apple Maps.
That's disappointing.
I have a tough time seeing how they will ever be able to catch up with google on maps...

thenexus6

BpVPlWbCMAA2PGi.jpg

Craig looks like a serial killer

SuperPac

So, how is the stability on iphone5s with the beta?
thinking about updating.

It's OK. There are random reboots, app interface oddities, and full-on app crashes (Mailbox is the only one I use regularly that won't even open). It does feel slightly more stable than iOS7b1 last year, but YMMV. I did a clean install and re-synced everything which I guess is the most stable way of doing it. If you're not ready to have your phone be a little wonky and filled with minor annoyances, don't do it.

Apple taps into M7 & motion sensors for indoor positioning in iOS 8, signing up venues to contribute

iOS 8 makes it possible for an iOS app to determine its precise indoor position in supported venues. Learn best practices on how your app can take advantage of indoor positioning. Discover how indoor positioning and iBeacon complement each other, and understand the best use cases for both technologies. As a venue, find out how you can get involved and signup to enable indoor positioning.

Squalor

I think I've just encountered my biggest bug.

Predictive text has disappeared, haha. I have cycled the phone on and off and hard reset, and it still won't work.

I think I've just encountered my biggest bug.

Predictive text has disappeared, haha. I have cycled the phone on and off and hard reset, and it still won't work.
There should be a tiny bar over the keyboard. Slide up on that, I think. I accidentally closed mine the other day and got it back.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iPhoto has a way of batch changing dates and times and even a flag to alter the original file. If I remember correctly.
Sadly it does not work the way you'd hope. It only seems to change the date in the database. It doesn't touch the originals. They're stuck in 2018 because the date on the camera reset itself to default when the batteries are removed. God I hate pre-iPhone digital cameras.

I need something that can actually change the files actual attributes.

Juice

Sadly it does not work the way you'd hope. It only seems to change the date in the database. It doesn't touch the originals. They're stuck in 2018 because the date on the camera reset itself to default when the batteries are removed. God I hate pre-iPhone digital cameras.

I need something that can actually change the files actual attributes.

There is an exif command line tool you can find and use in terminal. I used it to fast forward one of my three cameras 13 hours in japan to be in flow with my iPhones.

Sean

Banned
That's the impression I got, but I could be wrong. I'm scrubbing through the keynote now to see what they said again

edit: Here's my bullet points of what they said:

- Grounds-up
- "Photos"
- Buttery scrolling
- Moments, collections, years
- Scrub through photos
- Has the same editing tools as displayed on iOS
- Early 2015 (so it's directly competing with The Witcher 3)

Too soon to tell if it's meant to be a replacement, if you ask me

It seems like a replacement to me. iPhoto is like 12 or 13 years old at this point and the last significant release was probably five years ago.

What extra functionality is in iPhoto? There's keywords, star ratings, smart albums, and the ability to purchase prints/books. Am I missing anything? I think probably only a tiny percentage use those features, for everyone else Photos seems like a better choice.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It seems like a replacement to me. iPhoto is like 12 or 13 years old at this point and the last significant release was probably five years ago.

What extra functionality is in iPhoto? There's keywords, star ratings, smart albums, and the ability to purchase prints/books. Am I missing anything? I think probably only a tiny percentage use those features, for everyone else Photos seems like a better choice.
From the sounds of it, they're working to make Photos replace iPhoto. Which I'm all for. Since iPhoto was designed when people only used digital cameras and synced manually and there was no iPhone or smart phone syncing. It needed a rewrite anyway so why not create something new?

I'll use Photos even if I only use it to store the stuff on my Photo Stream temporarily until I drag it to a folder on my Mac when I dump iPhoto. I never should have told iPhoto to fix my Library. It put photos from 2000 under May 2014 now and added stuff to my Stream from 2003. W.T.F.Apple?

Fuchsdh

I don't see the point of renaming the apps though. If anything since software is heading towards free they should merge iPhoto into the Photos app on iOS etc.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't see the point of renaming the apps though. If anything since software is heading towards free they should merge iPhoto into the Photos app on iOS etc.
Same reason the Music app isn't called iPod on iOS anymore. And iCal is now Calendar. And Messages isn't referred to as iMessage even though that's what you call the messages it sends. I guess this means it's only a matter of time before iTunes becomes just Music. Though that would require making it only do music and split out the other stuff.... maybe Fall? Notice the icon on Yosemite has a nice new icon reflecting the one on iOS, but they didn't show off the app. Maybe they have a new iTunes replacement coming. I would not be surprised in the slightest.

Point is they rename apps all the time when it feels right.

And I hope I'm right about the iTunes thing. 10.0 was one thing. But we need a new rewritten iTunes. Though if Photos is gonna take forever, iTunes would probably also take a long time and not show up until next year. But hopefully there's something this fall. I just want iCloud synced playlists and metadata that doesn't require me to ever have to open iTunes to sync my play counts again! dammit!

jstripes

Banned
Same reason the Music app isn't called iPod on iOS anymore. And iCal is now Calendar. And Messages isn't referred to as iMessage even though that's what you call the messages it sends. I guess this means it's only a matter of time before iTunes becomes just Music. Though that would require making it only do music and split out the other stuff.... maybe Fall? Notice the icon on Yosemite has a nice new icon reflecting the one on iOS, but they didn't show off the app. Maybe they have a new iTunes replacement coming. I would not be surprised in the slightest.

Point is they rename apps all the time when it feels right.

And I hope I'm right about the iTunes thing. 10.0 was one thing. But we need a new rewritten iTunes. Though if Photos is gonna take forever, iTunes would probably also take a long time and not show up until next year. But hopefully there's something this fall. I just want iCloud synced playlists and metadata that doesn't require me to ever have to open iTunes to sync my play counts again! dammit!

It's unlikely they're gonna rename iTunes to "Music", unless they split off the store into a separate app. But I really, really, really hope it gets a top-to-bottom rewrite. The codebase for it dates back to the '90s, and has had features duct-taped onto it left and right.

Majine

Banned
They already have the iTunes Podcast directory inside the Podcasts app. They could just bake iTunes Music store into the Music app, but I guess iTunes is too big of a brand to just bake inside something else.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's unlikely they're gonna rename iTunes to "Music", unless they split off the store into a separate app. But I really, really, really hope it gets a top-to-bottom rewrite. The codebase for it dates back to the '90s, and has had features duct-taped onto it left and right.
Exactly what I said. They'd have to rip out stuff that doesn't belong in Music, like videos and podcasts, and give them their own apps. And don't think I wouldn't prefer that. Especially since it would help usher in the new all-iCloud era.

Everything would sync automatically as it happens to the Cloud, then down to your Mac when you turn it on.

Photos? Already gonna happen and already does happen. Take a photo, up it goes to the cloud. What would happen next is proximity syncing where it moves the photos into your Mac's new Photos library and keeps them local too.

Music? Sync playlists. Sync changes to these playlists. And do it all through the cloud without needing to launch the application. If I listen to a song on my iPhone, it should update its play count and last played, push it to the cloud, manage the playlist (Which most of mine are sorted by Last Played) and then push the changes back down to my iPhone, iPad and Mac and update the view on my device. It's terrible that the iPhone doesn't rearrange my songs when I play something. But my iPad does! Why? Not only that but we still can't change the sorting of playlists. If I accidentally sort a playlist by something I don't want it sorted by, like name, then I have to change it in iTunes and resync it again. NO MORE SYNCING. DO IT ALL IN THE CLOUD!

Podcasts? Make a new app for them.

Videos? Same as Podcasts. Movies and TV shows. Give them their own app.

Books? Already done. Except that it still uses iTunes to choose what goes where.

Either way, all these apps would keep themselves synced without user intervention. With options on what to put where of course. Just like it is now. And iTunes wouldn't be used for choosing what to sync to your devices. Each app would take care of this for you. Some people might not like having multiple places to go to though.

Exactly what I said. They'd have to rip out stuff that doesn't belong in Music, like videos and podcasts, and give them their own apps. And don't think I wouldn't prefer that. Especially since it would help usher in the new all-iCloud era.

Everything would sync automatically as it happens to the Cloud, then down to your Mac when you turn it on.

Photos? Already gonna happen and already does happen. Take a photo, up it goes to the cloud. What would happen next is proximity syncing where it moves the photos into your Mac's new Photos library and keeps them local too.

Music? Sync playlists. Sync changes to these playlists. And do it all through the cloud without needing to launch the application. If I listen to a song on my iPhone, it should update its play count and last played, push it to the cloud, manage the playlist (Which most of mine are sorted by Last Played) and then push the changes back down to my iPhone, iPad and Mac and update the view on my device. It's terrible that the iPhone doesn't rearrange my songs when I play something. But my iPad does! Why? Not only that but we still can't change the sorting of playlists. If I accidentally sort a playlist by something I don't want it sorted by, like name, then I have to change it in iTunes and resync it again. NO MORE SYNCING. DO IT ALL IN THE CLOUD!

Podcasts? Make a new app for them.

Videos? Same as Podcasts. Movies and TV shows. Give them their own app.

Books? Already done. Except that it still uses iTunes to choose what goes where.

Either way, all these apps would keep themselves synced without user intervention. With options on what to put where of course. Just like it is now. And iTunes wouldn't be used for choosing what to sync to your devices. Each app would take care of this for you. Some people might not like having multiple places to go to though.

Windows is pretty clearly what's holding this back, for what it's worth. Apple wants/needs to deliver a single software package to Windows that includes music support *and* iDevice syncing *and* an app store *and* the iTunes store and so on.

(The Music stuff you mention already happens with iTunes Match though.)

I'd kind of like seeing the Mac App Store, iOS App Store, iTunes Store, and iBooks Store all folded into a single app on OS X, to be totally honest, and separated from iTunes and iBooks. Keep my media-consumption apps lean and mean, please.

And yeah, a Videos app (replacing the movies/tv stuff in iTunes *and* replacing QuickTime Player) would be great.

And syncing ought to be built into the OS itself (ideally all handled through iCloud forever instead of requiring you to hook up to the computer - the Photos in OS X stuff will be a *huge* step toward this because photo syncing has historically been totally broken unless you just hook up your iPhone/iPad to your computer).

But again, don't expect to see this happening as long as Apple has to support Windows library syncing (i.e. forever).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Windows is pretty clearly what's holding this back, for what it's worth. Apple wants/needs to deliver a single software package to Windows that includes music support *and* iDevice syncing *and* an app store *and* the iTunes store and so on.
Windows sucks. I don't care. Split the apps anyway. Make Windows users have to choose which apps to download too. As long as the entire thing is segregated and rewritten.

(The Music stuff you mention already happens with iTunes Match though.)
Somehow I have a feeling it doesn't. Not the way I'm hoping for. Also, most of my music is not from the store. (A lot of OCRemixes) So I'd need to wait for the larger cheaper plans before I'd even consider iTunes Match.

And syncing ought to be built into the OS itself (ideally all handled through iCloud forever instead of requiring you to hook up to the computer - the Photos in OS X stuff will be a *huge* step toward this because photo syncing has historically been totally broken unless you just hook up your iPhone/iPad to your computer).
Yes. It should. Even if it's WiFi only. As soon as I walk into my house, it should be doing its thing.

Also, iTunes just fucking sucks so much. It won't even properly sync for me right now. (Not WWDC related. Just a general right now it sucks ass so much as it is right now post.)

I can't even get iTunes to reliably wifi sync with my iPhone. Everytime I open iTunes, I never know if my phone's going to get detected or if I'm going to need to restart iTunes or my computer multiple times to get it working right. Such a terrible program. I literally never have any problems when I transfer files over wifi to my Nexus 7 with AirDroid.

John_B

So how long before we see some Touch ID continuity? Walk up to a Mac and sign into websites/apps with a single touch on your phone would be pretty sweet.

mollipen

Keywords, star ratings, smart albums, face recognition / view photos by person, map data, info tags.

There is NO reason to kill iPhoto. What can this new app do that couldn't be done in iPhoto? Why are we encouraging the dumbing down of software? And good lord, the idea that everything should be single-use apps is also crazy. NO need for a separate podcasting app. None. On iOS? Sure, I get the argument, because you've got a small screen and limited space for doing things. On a computer? What's the benefit?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can't even get iTunes to reliably wifi sync with my iPhone. Everytime I open iTunes, I never know if my phone's going to get detected or if I'm going to need to restart iTunes or my computer multiple times to get it working right. Such a terrible program. I literally never have any problems when I transfer files over wifi to my Nexus 7 with AirDroid.
At the risk of taking this thread soooo off topic, yes. So horrible. Mine is currently reporting the wrong total sync size and refuses to update my sync because it thinks it needs 2GB more space. I think it is senile and thinks that WWDC video is still checked off because I caught it trying to sync the 5GB video file after it inexplicably enabled syncing of Apple keynotes to my iPhone. So in order to fix the glitch I am removing ALL OF MY MUSIC ONCE AGAIN in order to put it ALL BACK ON AGAIN to fix this fucking problem. The worst thing is LAST TIME I did this I ended up with all the wrong album art and had to REMOVE IT ALL A SECOND TIME just to fix it.

*sigh*

Fuck you iTunes. And fuck you Windows for forcing iTunes to be forever terrible. Let Windows users go back to using MusicMatch. There's no reason to punish us Mac users for their shortcomings.

Edit: FUCK. It didn't fix it. It STILL THINKS I NEED MORE FUCKING SPACE! FUCK YOU iTUNES!!!

Somehow I have a feeling it doesn't. Not the way I'm hoping for. Also, most of my music is not from the store. (A lot of OCRemixes) So I'd need to wait for the larger cheaper plans before I'd even consider iTunes Match.

iTunes Match includes automatically syncing your playlists and ID3 information. It's pretty sweet (when it works).

Blackhead

Redarse
Not my problem. iTunes could be glorious if it didn't have to be cross compatible with Windows. Don't deny it. They could maintain two programs, but they choose to just have one. And they have to cater to the lowest common denominator.

All those are Apple's choices, and therefore Apple's fault, not Windows.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Windows is actually an important part of my computing stack..

Keywords, star ratings, smart albums, face recognition / view photos by person, map data, info tags.

There is NO reason to kill iPhoto. What can this new app do that couldn't be done in iPhoto? Why are we encouraging the dumbing down of software? And good lord, the idea that everything should be single-use apps is also crazy. NO need for a separate podcasting app. None. On iOS? Sure, I get the argument, because you've got a small screen and limited space for doing things. On a computer? What's the benefit?

The advantage is in having a single photo library accessible by all apps, like iOS has.

There can still be an iPhoto app (likely merged with Aperture), but it'll be accessing that core photo library instead of addressing its own.

That's a HUGE and deeply beneficial infrastructural change. Photo handling between OS X and iOS is currently massively backward.

All those are Apple's choices, and therefore Apple's fault, not Windows.

Yep. Having the entire ecosystem be a single package on Windows makes sense, but at this point Apple really needs to be developing the OS X side of their stuff almost wholly independently from the Windows version of iTunes. Otherwise they're needlessly holding their own product back for the sake of broader compatibility; if Apple's all about quality first, that's the choice they need to make.

iTunes is a total dog on Windows, but in terms of infrastructure/role within Apple's ecosystem (if not app performance) it's pretty crummy on OS X too.

It's Apple's prerogative at this point to split up OS X/Windows iTunes development (and to split up iTunes on OSX into a few different simpler clients and OS-level services). If the Windows version of iTunes suffers a little bit or lags behind in getting new features, then so be it.

Yep. Having the entire ecosystem be a single package on Windows makes sense, but at this point Apple really needs to be developing the OS X side of their stuff almost wholly independently from the Windows version of iTunes. Otherwise they're needlessly holding their own product back for the sake of broader compatibility; if Apple's all about quality first, that's the choice they need to make.

iTunes is a total dog on Windows, but in terms of infrastructure/role within Apple's ecosystem (if not app performance) it's pretty crummy on OS X too.

It's Apple's prerogative at this point to split up OS X/Windows iTunes development (and to split up iTunes on OSX into a few different simpler clients and OS-level services). If the Windows version of iTunes suffers a little bit or lags behind in getting new features, then so be it.

It's not like the Windows version can get much worse.... I was doing my iTunes Match sync for the first time, and the program crashed 3 times back to back right as I was in the middle of uploading files.

Top Bottom