• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

I thought it used space for songs you didn't purchase tom Apple. I swear that was the caveat when it came out. Songs you own, but ripped from CDs yourself, would be matched against the store and wouldn't take space. But anything you own that isn't on the store takes space.

I've had iTunes Match since it launched and this has never been the case. I have plenty of songs that iTunes couldn't match for 1 reason or another and had to upload and they take up none of my personal iCloud storage space.

mollipen

The advantage is in having a single photo library accessible by all apps, like iOS has.

There can still be an iPhoto app (likely merged with Aperture), but it'll be accessing that core photo library instead of addressing its own.

That's a HUGE and deeply beneficial infrastructural change. Photo handling between OS X and iOS is currently massively backward.

Why could iPhoto not do this, and a new Photos app could?

Well I have 4000 songs. So I guess I'm safe enough. 2000 of them would be N/A in iTunes I'd assume.

Make sure you sort a playlist by Date Played or check the count on your iTunes after playing to see if the number increased.

Because if it does that, then this fall I'll be buying me some Match. (The site is no help at all.)

I can't see iTunes automatically updating without intervention though. But does it at least update on all your iOS devices? Like if you have your phone, play a song, and have it immediately mark that song as last played "NOW" on the iPad as well. That I would be interested in. And when you open iTunes, does it do the metadata updating right away or do you have to initiate a sync?

So it seems like it worked for a second..... and then didn't.

I started out with my Recently Played playlist on both iTunes and my iPhone empty (don't have another iDevice to test it on, sorry). Played Buddy Holly on my phone, and when it was done, my phone's playlist and the one in iTunes had Buddy Holly in it with a play count of 1.

"Great!" I thought. "Let's keep it up!" Let the album keep rolling to the next song, and when it finished, my iPhone "Recently Played" had updated but my iTunes had not. Next song played, same deal.

Went back and replayed Buddy Holly to see if the count updated, and nothing happened. It still only has that one song in my iTunes playlist.

As a further test, I deleted a song from a playlist of mine on my iPhone, checked iTunes, and in 5 seconds it was gone there too. I saw it disappear. But my Recently Played is unchanged saved for one count of Buddy Holly.

So It's schizophrenic. Doesn't seem as reliable as you need, but in theory it SHOULD work.

edit: Readded the song on my iPhone, updated on iTunes in 5 seconds. Reordered the playlist on my iPhone, updated on iTunes in 5 seconds. Deleted the song again on iTunes, and it's still sitting on my iPhone untouched. Goddammit Apple, you were so close.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So it seems like it worked for a second..... and then didn't.

I started out with my Recently Played playlist on both iTunes and my iPhone empty (don't have another iDevice to test it on, sorry). Played Buddy Holly on my phone, and when it was done, my phone's playlist and the one in iTunes had Buddy Holly in it with a play count of 1.

"Great!" I thought. "Let's keep it up!" Let the album keep rolling to the next song, and when it finished, my iPhone "Recently Played" had updated but my iTunes had not. Next song played, same deal.

Went back and replayed Buddy Holly to see if the count updated, and nothing happened. It still only has that one song in my iTunes playlist.

As a further test, I deleted a song from a playlist of mine on my iPhone, checked iTunes, and in 5 seconds it was gone there too. I saw it disappear. But my Recently Played is unchanged saved for one count of Buddy Holly.

So It's schizophrenic. Doesn't seem as reliable as you need, but in theory it SHOULD work.

edit: Readded the song on my iPhone, updated on iTunes in 5 seconds. Reordered the playlist on my iPhone, updated on iTunes in 5 seconds. Deleted the song again on iTunes, and it's still sitting on my iPhone untouched. Goddammit Apple, you were so close.
Fix this shit, Apple and my $25 is yours. Of course I won't know if it's fixed since I don't pay the $25. So it's a wash.

Does it at least update on another iOS device? Do you have another iOS device like an iPad to try it with? iTunes I couldn't care less about as long as I can still sync manually later. As long as the metadata stored on the cloud is being updated and automatically synced down to the other smart iOS devices I'd be happy. Since I only play music on my iPhone and only open iTunes to update the playlist sort order since it doesn't change itself on my iPhone. (But it does on the iPad for crying out loud.)

Consistency, Apple. DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS?

Fix this shit, Apple and my $25 is yours. Of course I won't know if it's fixed since I don't pay the $25. So it's a wash.

Does it at least update on another iOS device? Do you have another iOS device like an iPad to try it with? iTunes I couldn't care less about as long as I can still sync manually later. As long as the metadata stored on the cloud is being updated and automatically synced down to the other smart iOS devices I'd be happy. Since I only play music on my iPhone and only open iTunes to update the playlist sort order since it doesn't change itself on my iPhone. (But it does on the iPad for crying out loud.)

Consistency, Apple. DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS?

Sorry, no other thing to test it on, only have a Windows laptop and an iPhone.

Hopefully someone else can get you the answers you need.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sorry, no other thing to test it on, only have a Windows laptop and an iPhone.

Hopefully someone else can get you the answers you need.
What are the chances of finding someone who owns both an iPhone and an iPad (Or just two separate iOS devices with the same iCloud account) AND has a subscription to iTunes Match?

One in a million?
One in a billion?
One in a googolplex?

I hate that I have to use iTunes to update the order of my playlist on the device that played the media in the first place. Why iPad OS updates but iPhone OS does not is bullshit.

What are the chances of finding someone who owns both an iPhone and an iPad (Or just two separate iOS devices with the same iCloud account) AND has a subscription to iTunes Match?

One in a million?
One in a billion?
One in a googolplex?

I hate that I have to use iTunes to update the order of my playlist on the device that played the media in the first place. Why iPad OS updates but iPhone OS does not is bullshit.

I assume you're being sarcastic with that first comment?

Ydahs

Mine works at my main office. We use PEAP with a basic radius server behind it. Try wiping out the config and connecting again, or create a new user on the mac?

It seems to be a hit or miss affair at the moment. Found several cases of it not working for others online as well. Might be due to how WPA2 is configured on some networks.

iMax

One in a million?
One in a billion?
One in a googolplex?

I do. Anyone else?

Number45

I want to love iTunes Match, I really do. Sync issues, being unable to delete music from my device, unable to control access to the service (for others in my family) are all frustrating.

The final straw for me was the game refusing to play an album of mine, because of a Match DRM issue (the error was something about my account not being authorised, which is rubbish). This was an album that I'd ripped. :/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I assume you're being sarcastic with that first comment?
I do. Anyone else?
I do.

... why would that be rare? wouldn't those with multiple iOS devices benefit the most from the cloud syncing of iTunes Match?
That's why I think he was being sarcastic...
It was my sarcastic way of asking if anyone else who might have two iOS devices as well as iTunes Match can try the following:

Have a playlist synced to both devices sorted by "Last played".

Play a random song on that playlist on your iPhone and as soon as it's over, check your iPad (Or other device) and tell me if it moved that song to the top without any syncing required. Maybe try a few songs to check for consistency.

Then try it in the opposite direction.

I'd be very interested.

Zeyphersan only had one iOS device and a Mac and while iTunes apparently updated once or thrice, it was never consistent. I'm really mostly interested in if iOS devices act correctly. If I change something on one device, like play count or last played (Which would affect the sort order if the playlist is sorted by Last Played) or remove a song from a playlist, will it reflect those changes on the other devices without user intervention.

It is literally the only reason I haven't considered iTunes Match.

It was my sarcastic way of asking if anyone else who might have two iOS devices as well as iTunes Match can try the following:

Have a playlist synced to both devices sorted by "Last played".

Play a random song on that playlist on your iPhone and as soon as it's over, check your iPad (Or other device) and tell me if it moved that song to the top without any syncing required. Maybe try a few songs to check for consistency.

Then try it in the opposite direction.

I'd be very interested.

Zeyphersan only had one iOS device and a Mac and while iTunes apparently updated once or thrice, it was never consistent. I'm really mostly interested in if iOS devices act correctly. If I change something on one device, like play count or last played (Which would affect the sort order if the playlist is sorted by Last Played) or remove a song from a playlist, will it reflect those changes on the other devices without user intervention.

It is literally the only reason I haven't considered iTunes Match.

I just tried it. I have two iPads with iTunes Match turned on. I created a playlist on one, added 3 tracks and it appeared on the other iPad immediately. I deleted a track from one and it disappeared on the other iPad immediately too. I don't think you can sort a playlist by Last Played but, generally, I think it works the way you want.

Oh boy

VMp4Qko.png

Guess Who

Banned
Fuck this so hard, I have an app out that is broken in the iOS 8 beta, and I'm 80% sure that it's a beta issue and will be fixed by Apple in subsequent releases. I would be absolutely pissed if I got a review like this

Fun fact: iOS 8 beta actually blocks you from making reviews in the App Store.

mrkgoo

Developers need the heads up something is broken but sometimes it's a bug that is out of their control.

Also reviews are not the appropriate avenue to report them, beta or not.

zychi

Banned
What are the steps to revert back to Mavericks? Do I just do a restore? Do I need the actual iso from the app store?

e: is there anyway to dual boot osx 10.9 and 10.10 on a rmbp?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just tried it. I have two iPads with iTunes Match turned on. I created a playlist on one, added 3 tracks and it appeared on the other iPad immediately. I deleted a track from one and it disappeared on the other iPad immediately too. I don't think you can sort a playlist by Last Played but, generally, I think it works the way you want.
I sort all my playlists by last played. And on both iTunes and my iPad it automatically updates the ordering when I play a song. Can you try that out? You have to add the column to the playlist in iTunes.

Now that WWDC is done and no new hardware was announced, can someone explain why people are so excited about Broadwell chips for the notebooks? Is the improvement this fall/winter/spring going to be that big due to Broadwell? Is it performance increases or battery increases or heat/fan decreases?

Now that WWDC is done and no new hardware was announced, can someone explain why people are so excited about Broadwell chips for the notebooks? Is the improvement this fall/winter/spring going to be that big due to Broadwell? Is it performance increases or battery increases or heat/fan decreases?

broadwell is faster then ivyleague

I'll just wait for Broadwell then. I have a MacBook Air 2011, and the only reason why I'd want to upgrade is because the battery is crappy on it. I get like 2 hours of light use on it. I'd love a MBP Retina with 8+ hours, but I'm not sure about the form factor, weight, and heat that a MBP would bring, and maybe Broadwell would at least eliminate the third of my issues.

KtSlime

Wait for Skymont. Aka Cannonlake.
Only if he wants to wait till 2020...

The Real Abed: I'll take some pictures and post them, but their doing construction outside and have apparently interrupted my internet service, I'll post when I can.

hEist

So, I switched to Yosemite and to be honest: it runs fine so far. No problems at all on my air.
Also running ios8 on my iphone5s. Here and there some resprings but overall I'm fine with it. Banking apps are bugged so far, if someone want to switch but need them.
Whatsapp works also fine, you just need to deactivated syncing with iCloud and reinstall. Love the photo history on in iMessage (details) (or is it in since ios7 and I never saw it?)

Squalor

This year was the year I really wanted to get an Air, but it seems next year will bring the actual upgrade I was hoping for.

mrkgoo

Not sure where to ask this... but does anyone know if it's possible to use the iPhone GPS without data? Any apps that support that?

iOS 8 will have the ability to save maps so that you can use them offline.

Until then, I have heard and read mostly good things about CoPilot and Sygic.
As it stands, it caches map data quite significantly. Sure you lose search and probably turn by turn if you haven't prpgrammed it in, but when i was in Japan, I cached maps in Maps and then went out. My maps data and GPS were always there. I imagine isinglass vector based data, it can really store a heckuva lot of info in a small space.

zychi

Banned
I put ios8 on my iphone 5 without having a developer account. 24 hours later, it locked me out from using my phone because I need to activate it. Restored back to 7.1.1

Just a warning for people.

Terrell

Given that I HATE the direction both Pages and GarageBand have gone in recently, I'm not sure I like the idea of Apple "tearing it all down" for more apps.

Pages and GarageBand updates are new skin and a bit of flesh wrapped around the same old bones. It's not very comparable to an all-out rewrite, and the issues with revisions that retain old infrastructure in software are well-documented enough to make this apparent.

I'm not convinced that Apple is ditching iPhoto in favour of Photos. Photos is more a sync solution isn't it? What about a local solution for those that don't use iCloud? Would Photos be robust enough compared to the features that iPhoto offered? Or maybe they're hoping people just move to Aperture for that?

From what I've seen, the features are comparable. Hell, iOS Photos app already had a large majority of the same editing tools as iPhoto with few to almost no exclusions.

That's the impression I got, but I could be wrong. I'm scrubbing through the keynote now to see what they said again

edit: Here's my bullet points of what they said:

- Grounds-up
- "Photos"
- Buttery scrolling
- Moments, collections, years
- Scrub through photos
- Has the same editing tools as displayed on iOS
- Early 2015 (so it's directly competing with The Witcher 3)

Too soon to tell if it's meant to be a replacement, if you ask me

I have SERIOUS doubts that Apple would cause fragmentation and utter confusion with 2 apps that essentially do exactly the same thing. 2 possible photo libraries sounds like an absolute nightmare.

It seems like a replacement to me. iPhoto is like 12 or 13 years old at this point and the last significant release was probably five years ago.

What extra functionality is in iPhoto? There's keywords, star ratings, smart albums, and the ability to purchase prints/books. Am I missing anything? I think probably only a tiny percentage use those features, for everyone else Photos seems like a better choice.

This is a safe assumption. Smart Albums and keywords are nice, but there's nothing that says you can't bring those features over, either. The book creation is likely to meet the axe.

I guess this means it's only a matter of time before iTunes becomes just Music. Though that would require making it only do music and split out the other stuff.... maybe Fall? Notice the icon on Yosemite has a nice new icon reflecting the one on iOS, but they didn't show off the app. Maybe they have a new iTunes replacement coming. I would not be surprised in the slightest.

The Photos change somewhat suggests that this is what is coming to pass.

It's unlikely they're gonna rename iTunes to "Music", unless they split off the store into a separate app. But I really, really, really hope it gets a top-to-bottom rewrite. The codebase for it dates back to the '90s, and has had features duct-taped onto it left and right.

I'd imagine they would. It would definitely be the ideal time to do it.

Exactly what I said. They'd have to rip out stuff that doesn't belong in Music, like videos and podcasts, and give them their own apps. And don't think I wouldn't prefer that. Especially since it would help usher in the new all-iCloud era.

Everything would sync automatically as it happens to the Cloud, then down to your Mac when you turn it on.

Photos? Already gonna happen and already does happen. Take a photo, up it goes to the cloud. What would happen next is proximity syncing where it moves the photos into your Mac's new Photos library and keeps them local too.

Music? Sync playlists. Sync changes to these playlists. And do it all through the cloud without needing to launch the application. If I listen to a song on my iPhone, it should update its play count and last played, push it to the cloud, manage the playlist (Which most of mine are sorted by Last Played) and then push the changes back down to my iPhone, iPad and Mac and update the view on my device. It's terrible that the iPhone doesn't rearrange my songs when I play something. But my iPad does! Why? Not only that but we still can't change the sorting of playlists. If I accidentally sort a playlist by something I don't want it sorted by, like name, then I have to change it in iTunes and resync it again. NO MORE SYNCING. DO IT ALL IN THE CLOUD!

Podcasts? Make a new app for them.

Videos? Same as Podcasts. Movies and TV shows. Give them their own app.

Books? Already done. Except that it still uses iTunes to choose what goes where.

Either way, all these apps would keep themselves synced without user intervention. With options on what to put where of course. Just like it is now. And iTunes wouldn't be used for choosing what to sync to your devices. Each app would take care of this for you. Some people might not like having multiple places to go to though.

I wouldn't agree to quite THAT much fragmentation (for instance Videos can house TV shows and movies like it does on iOS, it's all the same content, essentially, just a sub-category of it)

But fundamentally, that is what I and MANY Mac users have wanted for years now.

Windows is pretty clearly what's holding this back, for what it's worth. Apple wants/needs to deliver a single software package to Windows that includes music support *and* iDevice syncing *and* an app store *and* the iTunes store and so on.

(The Music stuff you mention already happens with iTunes Match though.)

I'd kind of like seeing the Mac App Store, iOS App Store, iTunes Store, and iBooks Store all folded into a single app on OS X, to be totally honest, and separated from iTunes and iBooks. Keep my media-consumption apps lean and mean, please.

And yeah, a Videos app (replacing the movies/tv stuff in iTunes *and* replacing QuickTime Player) would be great.

And syncing ought to be built into the OS itself (ideally all handled through iCloud forever instead of requiring you to hook up to the computer - the Photos in OS X stuff will be a *huge* step toward this because photo syncing has historically been totally broken unless you just hook up your iPhone/iPad to your computer).

But again, don't expect to see this happening as long as Apple has to support Windows library syncing (i.e. forever).

I think you could get away with it. Windows has an iCloud Control Panel now, which is a move that shows more apps can be introduced if needed as part of the iOS management "package".
Have iCloud Control Panel manage the syncing aspects. Rewrite iTunes to encourage wireless/cloud sync of that data so that the expected behavior is the same for syncing as it would be on a Mac. And let the Mac have its divided apps if iTunes on Windows can't be touched.

This way, the sync behaviors and the methods to implement them are exactly the same on both platforms and Apple can have more freedom to do what it wants with its own platforms and software.

Why could iPhoto not do this, and a new Photos app could?

iCloud sync features have been "stapled on" to the existing application. It CAN be done, and it has been done, but the implementation is inarguably terrible. The way around that is a full rewrite of the code and how it interacts with your cloud libraries.

Squalor

I put ios8 on my iphone 5 without having a developer account. 24 hours later, it locked me out from using my phone because I need to activate it. Restored back to 7.1.1

Just a warning for people.
If you didn't have your UDID registered by someone who was a developer, that makes sense.

Apple has been patrolling and locking phones with unauthorized iOS betas since, at least, last year.

mollipen

Pages and GarageBand updates are new skin and a bit of flesh wrapped around the same old bones. It's not very comparable to an all-out rewrite, and the issues with revisions that retain old infrastructure in software are well-documented enough to make this apparent.

I don't care about that—I care about how they are to use. The new GarageBand is a nightmare if you use it for podcasting, and the addition of MP3 exporting fixed very little (because there's next to no options now when exporting). If it was the "same old bones" and a new skin, I would be using it.

The new Pages takes up the same screen real estate to do what the old version could do, reading documents Comments are a pain compared to how they used to be, and the new Open dialog box is hilariously terrible. (That last one is a problem with Mavericks period, not just Pages though.)

iCloud sync features have been "stapled on" to the existing application. It CAN be done, and it has been done, but the implementation is inarguably terrible. The way around that is a full rewrite of the code and how it interacts with your cloud libraries.

I'm all for that. What I'm not all for is the idea of throwing away the entirety of iPhoto, and all of the functions it has that the thing they showed during the keynote probably wouldn't have. A photo browser and a photo storage/management app are totally separate things.

Terrell

I don't care about that—I care about how they are to use. The new GarageBand is a nightmare if you use it for podcasting, and the addition of MP3 exporting fixed very little (because there's next to no options now when exporting). If it was the "same old bones" and a new skin, I would be using it.

You seem to be confusing UI with actual features and infrastructure. GarageBand and Pages have always been a bit of a pill to use, and each update just replaces one frustration with another while they shift around where to find functionality (if you can find it at all) instead of how it functions in totality.

I'm all for that. What I'm not all for is the idea of throwing away the entirety of iPhoto, and all of the functions it has that the thing they showed during the keynote probably wouldn't have. A photo browser and a photo storage/management app are totally separate things.

Tell me what features are missing from, say, the iOS photos app that iPhoto has. And also tell me why you believe these missing features cannot be included to a Photos app for Mac.
And more importantly, please describe what is so fundamentally different from Photos and iPhoto.

Top Bottom