• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

M3d10n

Eagerly waiting for Candy Crush Saga's next update.
2yye9vb.gif

numble

what about users who are happy with that system? numble, for example, has made hundreds in rewards from these types of ads and cites them as one of the reasons he won't switch away from iOS iirc
You're confused. These aren't the things I talked about. I wouldn't even consider FMA an app since it's not on the App Store. It is an app on Google Play though.

I don't bother with the stuff anymore now though since my Amazon reward balance is over $1000 now and I'm now earning more than I can spend.

Blackhead

Redarse
You're confused. These aren't the things I talked about. I wouldn't even consider FMA an app since it's not on the App Store. It is an app on Google Play though.

I don't bother with the stuff anymore now though since my Amazon reward balance is over $1000 now and I'm now earning more than I can spend.

Huh? I was talking about ads for rewards in general not apps specifically (although Viggle is an iOS app).
I got a 3GS for $60 on Craigslist about a month ago. I got the guy to ask AT&T to unlock it, and I needed to pay $8 to get parts to fix the screen, but I use it more than a Nexus 4 I've got. It's already earned $23 for me from FreeMyApps.

If this thing did Viggle and FreeMyApps, I would consider it. I bought a used iPhone 3GS for $60 in January and have already earned over $100 in Amazon credits from it. I've only been able to get about $50 from a Nexus 4 in the same time frame.

For FreeMyApps, I just download an app and play it for 30 seconds. They only have 2-3 apps a week, so I get $1 or $2 a week. For Viggle, you just let it listen to what TV shows you're watching. I follow the NBA, so it also gives me points for playing Fantasy Basketball. It's not shit because I don't really need to do anything special.

And since I also have other devices, or access to family members devices, I've been able to rack up a lot of credits:

FBDQAm2l.jpg

Edit: Actually, it's more been like 3-4 months. I bought the phone in late-January or early-February.

You missed my post about how I come out in the black with my phones, and that is from buying them off-contract. Sell the iPhone 5 for $550, buy the next one for $650. In the meantime, I've earned over $100 from the iPhone just from iOS rewards programs.

I meant to sell the new one on Craigslist if you aren't going to use it. You pay $200 for a $650 device, and sell it on Craigslist for $650 to recoup the $450 subsidy.

KtSlime

I just don't think they support data detectors in Japanese, there are lots of features of the Japanese language that are still unsupported or poorly implemented on both OS X and iOS. It's okay, copy/paste isn't that hard. The thing that really annoys me is the sorting in lists, such as Music. They dump all words using kanji (the ideograms) under # at the very bottom of the list.

numble

Huh? I was talking about ads for rewards in general not apps specifically (although Viggle is an iOS app).
FMA and Viggle aren't rewards for ad viewing. These aren't the things you are talking about. The app rejections you are talking about are not regarding services like Viggle and FMA. That's why you don't see them mentioned in the article you quoted, even though they are more popular than things like tapjoy or SponsorPay.

Blackhead

Redarse
FMA and Viggle aren't rewards for ad viewing. These aren't the things you are talking about. The app rejections you are talking about are not regarding services like Viggle and FMA. That's why you don't see them mentioned in the article you quoted, even though they are more popular than things like tapjoy or SponsorPay.

Obviously Apple can't ban FMA from the appstore because it's not on there although I wonder how long FMA's ad-hoc device provisioning loophole will last as Apple didn't design that system for this purpose. Anyway the article also mentions that
3.10 Developers who attempt to manipulate or cheat the user reviews or chart ranking in the App Store with fake or paid reviews, or any other inappropriate methods will be removed from the iOS Developer Program​
and FMA definitely violates the spirit of this law although it doesn't use the exact same methodology as the others

fwiw I mentioned you as an example because I agree that apps like Viggle don't fall under this ban hammer. The main difference is that viggle is about music and tv while the ones apple banned are abut apps.

EmiPrime

Google wouldn't do that, way too much to lose, but Apple definitely isn't going to give up on maps and release a stock iPhone without Maps.

Yeah that sort of chicanery would hurt Google as much as it would hurt Apple.

While it's sad that the two don't see eye to eye much Google have a more pragmatic approach, while Apple have been kind of childish. Having iCloud integration in Android and maybe even iTunes, iMessages (ensuring it would be the de facto SMS app and messaging protocol) and Safari would have been a lot more sensible. Apple should cut their losses and give up on maps and bundle in Google Maps again instead of continuing to dig a hole for themselves but their pride won't let them.

Guess Who

Banned
While it's sad that the two don't see eye to eye much Google have a more pragmatic approach, while Apple have been kind of childish. Having iCloud integration in Android and maybe even iTunes, iMessages (ensuring it would be the de facto SMS app and messaging protocol) and Safari would have been a lot more sensible.

What does Apple have to gain from iMessage going to Android? They don't gain anything just from the mere act of people using iMessage. The benefit of iMessage to their bottom line is that it anchors people to iOS. Same with iCloud.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So does anyone know if Safari Yosemite finally gives us a useful status bar?

The one in Safari right now is completely useless. You either have it show all the time, in which case it literally only gets used when you hover over a link, but the rest of the time it's just an empty blank husk. I mean in other browsers, back in the day 10 years ago, a status bar was actually used for things like status. But in the past decade the status bar has become mostly useless in modern browsers. Chrome doesn't even have one and Firefox only keeps theirs for backwards compatibility with extensions that insist on using it for some reason. I don't even know if IE even has or requires one anymore. But Safari literally never used theirs for anything other than showing the URL.

Or you turn it off all together, in which case you don't see what the URL is that you're about to click on. You can use one of a few extensions that exist like Invisible Statusbar or Ultimate Statusbar (The one I use) but they work by injecting HTML, CSS and JavaScript into a page, but also end up being affected by other outside things like your current Zoom factor or any CSS you might have applied to make stuff bigger. In which case they sometimes become offset from where they should be, or enlarged too big or shrunk too small, or otherwise might not even appear on the page at all.

Just give us a Chrome-like status bar in Safari that shows up when you hover and disappears when you are done. Even Firefox and IE do too.

Bullshit. I even rewatched the Keynote and they don't even have the normal status bar turned on let alone a popup one. I'll have to keep using Ultimate as long as it still works.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Safari status bar situation is the same. I agree, it's always bugged me.
What about remembering zoom settings for sites? Please tell me they at least make Safari remember zoom settings for websites!

If they forgot BOTH those features that every single other browser has, AND still use Command+Z for reopening closed tabs, all is lost...

...and I will still use Safari anyway because I still like it.

What about remembering zoom settings for sites? Please tell me they at least make Safari remember zoom settings for websites!

If they forgot BOTH those features that every single other browser has, AND still use Command+Z for reopening closed tabs, all is lost...

...and I will still use Safari anyway because I still like it.
Nope, nothing. Safari changes are all in the look, address bar, and the backend, as far as I can tell.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nope, nothing. Safari changes are all in the look, address bar, and the backend, as far as I can tell.
I have no words.

At least zooming can be hacked via CSS injecting extensions, although it works incorrectly, it's better than keeping the text super small on my 15" display set to 1080p.

And the status bar can be added with an extension too.

But they're clunky hacks of features that should be built-in!

Maybe in 10.11 next year. Probably too much to hope for them to implement them by October.

Okay, I guess I had a few words.

The one in Safari right now is completely useless. You either have it show all the time, in which case it literally only gets used when you hover over a link, but the rest of the time it's just an empty blank husk. I mean in other browsers, back in the day 10 years ago, a status bar was actually used for things like status. But in the past decade the status bar has become mostly useless in modern browsers. Chrome doesn't even have one and Firefox only keeps theirs for backwards compatibility with extensions that insist on using it for some reason. I don't even know if IE even has or requires one anymore. But Safari literally never used theirs for anything other than showing the URL.

Or you turn it off all together, in which case you don't see what the URL is that you're about to click on. You can use one of a few extensions that exist like Invisible Statusbar or Ultimate Statusbar (The one I use) but they work by injecting HTML, CSS and JavaScript into a page, but also end up being affected by other outside things like your current Zoom factor or any CSS you might have applied to make stuff bigger. In which case they sometimes become offset from where they should be, or enlarged too big or shrunk too small, or otherwise might not even appear on the page at all.

Just give us a Chrome-like status bar in Safari that shows up when you hover and disappears when you are done. Even Firefox and IE do too.

Bullshit. I even rewatched the Keynote and they don't even have the normal status bar turned on let alone a popup one. I'll have to keep using Ultimate as long as it still works.

If it means so much, make your voice heard to the developers... http://bugreporter.apple.com/

Yeah I remember getting on the bandwagon for Safari to have Firebug-style color coding in the web inspector years and years ago. Took years for that bandwagon to get big enough for them to notice.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Does Firefox really still have it? With the latest update it wasn't on by default for me, and the one or two extensions I have that used it in the past were moved up tot he toolbar.

I like the way chrome just has things fade in down then when you hover over links and whatnot.

ReAxion

While it's sad that the two don't see eye to eye much Google have a more pragmatic approach, while Apple have been kind of childish. Having iCloud integration in Android and maybe even iTunes, iMessages (ensuring it would be the de facto SMS app and messaging protocol) and Safari would have been a lot more sensible. Apple should cut their losses and give up on maps and bundle in Google Maps again instead of continuing to dig a hole for themselves but their pride won't let them.

Apple didn't agree to the new terms Google wanted in their Maps because of privacy concerns, or rather, Apple won't agree to them by default on behalf of their users. Basically, privacy is so important, they held it above their primary goals: design quality and user delight. If users want to opt in to Google's terms, trading their privacy for greater functionality, Apple provides that option, hence Google Maps' presence in the App Store. It has nothing to do with pride or childishness and since Google needs Apple more than Apple needs Google, Apple has no need to "cut their losses", as if there were any (see: another record-setting quarter for iPhone coming soon). Meanwhile, Google, because of their demands, is being increasingly left out of the iOS picture. Now they have no smartphone hardware manufacturing, and their biggest smartphone hardware "partner" is making their own OS.

iCloud, iTunes, iMessage, and Safari coming to Android doesn't help Apple at all, it would be giving away what are incentives to be in the iOS ecosystem.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does Firefox really still have it? With the latest update it wasn't on by default for me, and the one or two extensions I have that used it in the past were moved up tot he toolbar.

I like the way chrome just has things fade in down then when you hover over links and whatnot.
Yes, Firefox still has a floating status bar. I just checked.

It works exactly how Chrome and IE do. Safari is the only one left that does it wrong.

Particle Physicist

Yes, Firefox still has a floating status bar. I just checked.

It works exactly how Chrome and IE do. Safari is the only one left that does it wrong.

Oh, Yeah. I thought you meant the constant status bar, which was there for me up until the last major update. NoScript and I think another extension had been on there, but they were moved to the toolbar for me. Maybe it was just some setting I had perviously that was changed though.

Chrome is still my main browser, but if Safari makes those changes we have all been talking about, I would jump ship immediately.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh, Yeah. I thought you meant the constant status bar, which was there for me up until the last major update. NoScript and I think another extension had been on there, but they were moved to the toolbar for me. Maybe it was just some setting I had perviously that was changed though.

Chrome is still my main browser, but if Safari makes those changes we have all been talking about, I would jump ship immediately.
Yeah. A static statusbar is dead. No extensions should use it in this day and age. So it should have been removed even from Safari. But then you need to show a URL on hover. How do you do it? The same way every browser except Safari does it.

Even Safari turns the status bar off by default. And I haven't seen a single extension that uses it, and if I had any that did, I wouldn't use it unless it offered an alternative. Statusbar is redundant in this day and age. The one function it's left for can be done much better and is done much better.

Come on, Apple. Don't make me send you feedback again! Oh hell, I'm just gonna send feedback again.

Even iOS Safari shows you the URL when you tap and hold on a link if you really need to see it.

Edit: There. I sent feedback using their shiny new website thingy. Let's hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears. Everyone else should do the same if they want it.

Mark Gurman on Control Center in Yosemite:

In fact, developers have located numerous code strings in the first Yosemite build that confirms Apple’s testing of an OS X variant of Control Center:

While, in iOS, Control Center is simple a handy feature for accessing commonly used toggles quickly, OS X’s variant would have represented a massive shift in the Mac’s fundamentals. According to sources and developers who have located OS X Control Center references in the current beta, the feature was designed to replace the iconic Apple Menu in the Menu Bar. The Apple Menu is currently home to buttons to access About this Mac, System Preferences, logging out, rebooting, and shutting down the Mac.

Instead, OS X Yosemite could have placed all of those options in a slide out Control Center panel. Symmetrical to the new OS X Notification Center, Control Center would have slid out via a gesture on the trackpad or by the click of the Apple logo in the still-existing Menu Bar.

Control Center on the Mac would even have toggles for Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, AirPlay, and Do Not Disturb, like on iOS.

Speaking of Do Not Disturb, it seems that the preferences for that feature indicates that Apple removed Control Center from Yosemite fairly late in development. A switch for activating or deactivating Do Not Disturb does not exist in the current build of OS X Yosemite, so perhaps Apple was relying on Control Center (as shown in the top image) for that function. To activate Do Not Disturb on the current Yosemite build, users have to use the unintuitive “Option + Click Notification Center icon” command. It is uncertain if Apple plans to re-implement Control Center on the Mac, but as iOS and OS X continue to adopt similarities, it is likely that Mac users will see the functionality at some point in the near future.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/10/apple...ple-menu-for-control-center-in-os-x-yosemite/

Mindwipe

What does Apple have to gain from iMessage going to Android? They don't gain anything just from the mere act of people using iMessage. The benefit of iMessage to their bottom line is that it anchors people to iOS. Same with iCloud.

It doesn't anchor people to iOS if they, like me, have turned it off because it's not cross platform.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It doesn't anchor people to iOS if they, like me, have turned it off because it's not cross platform.
All my friends are on iOS. And the ones who aren't come in as green. I see no reason to turn it off. Plus in Yosemite it'll sync even the green ones to my computer and let me send messages through my phone even to non-iOS users. Really looking forward to that. For the very few people I know who don't have iOS already that I don't just message on FaceBook or Twitter.

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple didn't agree to the new terms Google wanted in their Maps because of privacy concerns, or rather, Apple won't agree to them by default on behalf of their users. Basically, privacy is so important, they held it above their primary goals: design quality and user delight. If users want to opt in to Google's terms, trading their privacy for greater functionality, Apple provides that option, hence Google Maps' presence in the App Store. It has nothing to do with pride or childishness and since Google needs Apple more than Apple needs Google, Apple has no need to "cut their losses", as if there were any (see: another record-setting quarter for iPhone coming soon). Meanwhile, Google, because of their demands, is being increasingly left out of the iOS picture. Now they have no smartphone hardware manufacturing, and their biggest smartphone hardware "partner" is making their own OS.

iCloud, iTunes, iMessage, and Safari coming to Android doesn't help Apple at all, it would be giving away what are incentives to be in the iOS ecosystem.
*ugh* that's some retroactive justification...
Timeline of events:

July 7th 2009
Apple buys Placebase, the first(?) of their many mapping company acquisitions.

July 23rd 2009
Google releases Latitude for iPhone and iPod touch as a web app after Apple blocks the Google native app from the AppStore

July 27th 2009
Apple blocks Google Voice app from the AppStore.

October 28th 2009
Google brings free Turn-by-Turn to Android 2.0 (Motorola Droid, the first hit Android phone was released by Verizon on October 17th 2009)

August 2nd 2010
Android sales overtake the iPhone in the USA for the first time.

December 16th 2010
Google brings vector maps to Android

April 25th 2012
Apple announces WWDC dates for June 2012

June 1st 2012
Google announces Maps event

June 6th 2012
Google holds "rushed" Maps events

June 11th 2012
Apple demoes new Maps app and iOS 6 without any Google services included by default

September 19th 2012
Apple releases iOS 6 to the public

December 12th 2012
Google releases Maps app for iOS

Even without including any hearsay
(e.g. Engadget in 2009:
Update: Navigation for the iPhone? Gundotra said the ball's in Apple's court, so no telling if / when that'll happen.​
)
I don't see how anyone who isn't ignorant of the sequence of actions claim that Google is to blame or even some variation of Google and Apple are both equally to blame. It should be clear that Jobs and Apple had it in for Google ages ago.

Privacy is the PR buzzword today but when Apple made the first steps to towards their own Maps it was because Jobs declared 'thermonuclear war' and vowed to destroy Google. It has everything to do with pride and childishness.

KtSlime

Come on now, Greyface, you are reading your own narrative into what happened as well. Best we can say is something like this:

Around the introduction of the Google Latitude project and it's integration with Google Maps, Apple decided to not continue licensing Google Maps as their mapping solution.

If somebody decides to not continue a contract because they don't agree with the new terms and conditions does that make them prideful and childish? No.

Blackhead

Redarse
Come on now, Greyface, you are reading your own narrative into what happened as well. Best we can say is something like this:

Around the introduction of the Google Latitude project and it's integration with Google Maps, Apple decided to not continue licensing Google Maps as their mapping solution.

If somebody decides to not continue a contract because they don't agree with the new terms and conditions does that make them prideful and childish? No.

I'm not reading anything that isn't public knowledge. Those are Steve Jobs' words about destroying Google because Android was a 'stolen product' to him. That's prideful and childish

KtSlime

I'm not reading anything that isn't public knowledge. Those are Steve Jobs' words about destroying Google because Android was a 'stolen product' to him.

You are jumping to the conclusion that "destroy Google" means to do so by "stop using Google Maps".

We have no emails of him telling his employees to make a new Mapping system because of this reason. It is completely within Apple's character to want to bring such an important part of the platform in-house.

rezuth

I'm not reading anything that isn't public knowledge. Those are Steve Jobs' words about destroying Google because Android was a 'stolen product' to him. That's prideful and childish

Pretty sure it was "destroy Android" and not Google. Its pretty clear that Google wanted more data to renew their shit with Apple like the Youtube app, Google maps etc and Apple just didn't wanna play ball with that.

RevoDS

*ugh* that's some retroactive justification...

Privacy is the PR buzzword today but when Apple made the first steps to towards their own Maps it was because Jobs declared 'thermonuclear war' and vowed to destroy Google. It has everything to do with pride and childishness.
Childishness, perhaps, but that's on both sides. It's commonly known that Google categorically refused to bring turn-by-turn navigation to the iPhone in order to use that as an argument in Android's favor, forcing Apple's hand to develop and rush out its own Maps app.

It's not a coincidence that the first time Google Maps supported turn-by-turn was on the App Store.

Blackhead

Redarse
You are jumping to the conclusion that "destroy Google" means to do so by "stop using Google Maps".

We have no emails of him telling his employees to make a new Mapping system because of this reason. It is completely within Apple's character to want to bring such an important part of the platform in-house.

No, 'destroy Google' means 'stop using Google Maps' along with other tactics and measures. That's not the only thing Apple removed or blocked from Google. There was no reason to block the Latitudes app except for their feud with Google. (Apple went on to make a similar app in Find My Friends).

Childishness, perhaps, but that's on both sides. It's commonly known that Google categorically refused to bring turn-by-turn navigation to the iPhone in order to use that as an argument in Android's favor, forcing Apple's hand to develop and rush out its own Maps app.

It's not a coincidence that the first time Google Maps supported turn-by-turn was on the App Store.
Read the links

Pretty sure it was "destroy Android" and not Google. Its pretty clear that Google wanted more data to renew their shit with Apple like the Youtube app, Google maps etc and Apple just didn't wanna play ball with that.

He launched a 'thermonuclear war' against google. I think that means he wants to destroy them, don't you? *shrug* I've said enough, y'all believe what you want to believe

Mindwipe

All my friends are on iOS.

Then you're exceptionally unlikely, statistically.

And the ones who aren't come in as green.

Err... aren't you contradicting yourself here?

I see no reason to turn it off.

Operating a mixed ecology means you have to trust Apple and iOS to get the gap between them right 100% of the time, and as we have seen abundantly that just doesn't happen. I can't begin to tell you the hassle I get from my wife moaning about iMessage losing messages to her.

Plus in Yosemite it'll sync even the green ones to my computer and let me send messages through my phone even to non-iOS users. Really looking forward to that.

Even less reason to use iMessage then.

For the very few people I know who don't have iOS already that I don't just message on FaceBook or Twitter.

Again, you are not the general population.

Apple should continue to refine their maps application. Whatever structural issues they have with their Maps team that's making project management such a fiasco should be swiftly dealt with by senior management.

Maps is a HUGE deal. I remember trying to meet a friend for drinks and Apple Maps taking me to some strange persons house instead. I also remember trying to get to a hospital and once again...I'm outside a strangers driveway.

I don't get those issues anymore so they have worked on it and they need to continue to work on it.

I prefer Maps simply because I trust Apple with certain private info over Google.

Squalor

The current iteration of Maps works just fine for me. I have used it a lot across the country over the past year and haven't encountered any oddities.

I also prefer that it's able to implement my phone's contacts much better.

Maps for the most part works pretty well for me in NYC except every now and then search turns into complete garbage. On multiple occasions I've put in an address on Madison Avenue and it'll give me 5 different options, none of which are even in the state of New York.

Apple Maps has proven itself more reliable than Google Maps for me lately. Last year my wife and I were taking a trip to a mountain cabin in Georgia and I went with Google Maps since I figured that was the smartest thing to do, but it took us to a dead end since it didn't know one road turned private and was barricaded. When we finally made it got the cabin I checked Apple Maps, and it had that road as correctly marked private, and would have gotten us there correctly the first time. Apple just really needs to step up their POI.

rezuth

Apple Maps has proven itself more reliable than Google Maps for me lately. Last year my wife and I were taking a trip to a mountain cabin in Georgia and I went with Google Maps since I figured that was the smartest thing to do, but it took us to a dead end since it didn't know one road turned private and was barricaded. When we finally made it got the cabin I checked Apple Maps, and it had that road as correctly marked private, and would have gotten us there correctly the first time. Apple just really needs to step up their POI.
No public transportation and serious lack of POI is what's holding Apple Maps back. They have way better maps than Google for the most part around where I live in Sweden. Not only higher resolution but also in 3D.

ReAxion

Read the links

Latitude's been retired and replaced with Google Search, now present in the App Store. Google Voice is also present in the App Store. Doesn't sound like much of a war at all. Believe what you want to believe indeed.

He launched a 'thermonuclear war' against google. I think that means he wants to destroy them, don't you? *shrug* I've said enough, y'all believe what you want to believe

He said "Android" and "on this" - "this" being a pronoun for the thing that was just mentioned; destroying Android.

IF ANYONE IS HAVING SOUND ISSUES:

If you have Audio Hijack or Air Foil or any Rogue Amoeba products and have no sound, it's the Instant On plug-in that is causing the sound issues. Uninstalling the plug-in finally gave me sound back, and caused my Mac to be more stable, so far....

Yay!

Thezez

Banned
Anyone using SpriteKit in here and have noticed that the layout system has changed :( There goes a whole bunch of work over the last few months. I suppose it works like it should now, but here comes a big rewrite..

Majine

Banned
Rewatching the conference, you really start noticing the politics in play. They mention Google just once, and it's "You can just do a regular old Google search, but...". Beats headphones appear in an example photo, etc.

Particle Physicist

Not my experience at all. The traffic and construction information is pretty accurate for me in Chicago, SF, Atlanta...and suburban Michigan, so I think that about covers it for me.

I found traffic and construction to be better in Apple Maps than Google Maps for Chicago. Especially street closures and such. Google Maps recent update with lane directions has been a game changer for me though. Having moved to a new city/state recently, it has been absolutely awesome.

Top Bottom