• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The way Handoff works is:

1) Bluetooth LE is used to detect when two devices are in close proximity.
2) The devices know they should connect if they're in Bluetooth range and share an iCloud account.
3) Developers can use whatever mechanism they choose to actually get the data from one device to another.
What about making calls from the computer. Are those wifi? Since it apparently works without proximity.

Majine

Banned
I must say I love the iPad safari on iOS8. The way of going in and out of tab view by pinching feels very natural, and also very tablet-esque.

jts

...hate me...
I recommend changing your hardware every 4 years, works for me!
This was actually my first Mac and it's amazing how well it still stands after 4 years completed. No computer of mine felt so fresh even after a couple of years. Had 2 upgrades though: 8GB RAM and an SSD.

But yes, it's still getting long in the tooth and there are features I've been wanting to take advantage of (faster I/O, Airplay, something better than 1280x800), but I'll be glad if Yosemite doesn't rush me. Pointing towards holiday 2014, early 2015 at latest...

RevoDS

What about making calls from the computer. Are those wifi? Since it apparently works without proximity.
Yeah, those are WiFi. I think they said both devices need to be on the same WiFi network, that's how it figures out the proximity in this particular case.

It doesn't need Bluetooth LE because your phone is never on sleep when it rings, so the wifi is active anyway

Squalor

Having to have Bluetooth on is a bummer.

I'm hoping the public Yosemite beta begins next week. Really looking forward to working with it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Having to have Bluetooth on is a bummer.
I'll gladly keep it on just for this stuff. I guess if it's inevitable since there's no other way to detect proximity. If only you could optionally eschew the proximity and have it do its thing no matter where you are in the WiFi network instead. Anyone know the exact proximity you need to be for it to pop up the little buttons?

I'm hoping the public Yosemite beta begins next week. Really looking forward to working with it.
Me too. The DP's are really outdated. I am really looking forward to the more complete version they showed off on stage.

Squalor

I'm not saying having to have Bluetooth on is a big deal. It's just not preferable.

I'll leave it on on my computer and just try to remind myself to turn it off every time I leave my house, haha.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I could see the public beta starting maybe a month before a release. Beta 3 is way too soon.
That's way too late. You'd want as much people testing as much as they can for as long as they can. But they'd also want it to be in a presentable state. So we'll see. If right now there's about 4 months before release right now, maybe about 2-3 months before release we might get the Beta? At least I'm hoping.

I'm just sad there isn't going to be one for iOS 8. It'd be awesome if they put out PB's of both 10.10 and iOS8 at the same time to give testers the full impact of the new stuff coming up. Yosemite alone is gonna be pretty gimped without its iOS8 counterpart stuff.

Fuchsdh

A pity. I really don't care how these rules impact developers, users do not deserved to be subjected to abusive practices and all of these qualify. To the extent that they subsidize development or app prices, the subsidy isn't worth it.

Eh, reading through the linked article about what's covered, I don't think it's that big a deal. People want to spam their Facebook friends to earn a few more coins? That's a business consideration that can backfire on the people doing the promotion/the app.

Seems like it's an alternative to paying actual money for in-app purchases.

A pity. I really don't care how these rules impact developers, users do not deserved to be subjected to abusive practices and all of these qualify. To the extent that they subsidize development or app prices, the subsidy isn't worth it.

Agreed. Apple's imperative is and should be to improve the quality of the offerings on the App Store (as well as its curation). Apps like those are shit shovelware and do nothing to improve the iOS experience.

Hopefully the much-needed improvements to App Store curation happen over the next year and they can simply use those to bury social sharing/video reward apps at the bottom of the garbage pile where they belong.

The other day, I went through the settings on my iPhone and iPad running the beta and configured a bunch of stuff (notifications, privacy, and background refresh) to make them more like I normally use the devices. Since I did this, both devices are now kinda unstable. I've had two hard crashes, Safari on the iPad no longer stores cookies no matter the cookie setting in Safari's setting pane, Echofon crashes at launch, and Reeder no longer syncs.

Which is all a shame because beta 2 was working pretty well for me. And, fwiw, MacRumors is reporting July 8th for beta 3.

Fuchsdh

So Photos is killing both iPhoto and Aperture. Bad news for Aperture users, I guess, but even worse news for Lightroom users, since competition was probably the only reason you didn't have to subscribe to Creative Cloud like everything else.

giga

So Photos is killing both iPhoto and Aperture. Bad news for Aperture users, I guess, but even worse news for Lightroom users, since competition was probably the only reason you didn't have to subscribe to Creative Cloud like everything else.
There's Capture One, but it's always been niche. I don't have any plans to switch from Lightroom, but I hope Photos will be as powerful as Aperture was in due time. It won't be at start, since they're starting from scratch, but Apple's AV app teams have proven they're able to iterate quickly.

New image of Photos, btw:

photosforosx-1.jpg

Pachimari

I don't know, is this the right place to ask?

My parents have a MacBook Air but they don't know how to use OS X, so they have asked me about Windows. But how do I install Windows 7 on a Mac? Is there a tutorial or guide somewhere?

Squalor

My parents have a MacBook Air but they don't know how to use OS X, so they have asked me about Windows. But how do I install Windows 7 on a Mac? Is there a tutorial or guide somewhere?
Tell them to take their asses to the Apple Store and schedule a training session.

Also, they can buy Parallels for Mac, which allows the installation of Windows on Macs.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As long as I can pull all of my photos out of iPhoto into folders separated by event then import them into Photos and have them put them in the right timeframes instead of just treating them all like they're newly added, I'll be happy.

The other day I had to tell my dad not to buy a book on iPhoto because it was going to probably become super obsolete soon.

Pachimari

Tell them to take their asses to the Apple Store and schedule a training session.

Also, they can buy Parallels for Mac, which allows the installation of Windows on Macs.

But isn't there some kind of dual boot thing I can do?

Also, there's no Apple store here.

subrock

For the love of god, don't install windows to get around the learning curve on a new OS. Show them a few things to get by, and let them teach themselves. If my mom can learn it, your parents sure can

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
But isn't there some kind of dual boot thing I can do?

Also, there's no Apple store here.
Here's a tip: You don't buy a Mac just to run Windows. Only install Windows if they have an app or two that they can't get on OS X. And in that case, use a virtual machine like Parallels. Not BootCamp. Teach them how to use OS X and they will love it eventually. Unless they're the kinds of people who refuse to learn new things because they're different. My dad picked up OS X almost instantly when he switched having never used a Mac before. If they're going to be only using Windows on their new Mac then why have the Mac? I'm sure they bought the Air for a reason. Teach them some tricks. Show them some equivalents. Install some programs that add features they miss.

kaioshade

Honestly, sell it and get a windows machine if they do not want to learn Mac OS X. Why did they even buy a Mac in the first place?

If this is not an option, here is a full tutorial on boot camp:

http://www.redmondpie.com/install-windows-8-on-mac-using-boot-camp-tutorial/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, we're gonna need more info, Madridista. If they're outright unwilling to learn OS X then that's one thing. Sell the machine and get a Windows PC. If they bought the Air themselves then they probably had a reason to. Were they the kinds of people who were always calling you up to fix their machine because they got a bunch of viruses? Or are they really savvy with Windows and never needed help? Was the machine a gift?

Learning a new OS is not that hard. Especially in this day and age. You just need to be willing to learn instead of fighting it the whole way.

Pachimari

I gave my MacBook Air away to them, and they are used to Windows and are old people. They can't just remember what I teach them, when they have spent years with Windows.

I appreciate the Boot Camp replies, but the rest were no help at all.

I'm not too worried about this now that I've seen how Apple improved on Final Cut and iMovie after hitting the reset button on both of those projects respectively. Giving OS X a serious native photo library like iOS has will work wonders and likely INCREASE competition in that space now that other people can easily build photo-editing apps without necessarily having to worry about handling the import-from-camera process.

But on the other hand, I look at what's happen to QuickTime Player post-QTX and I get very sad. Apple's failure to open up AVFoundation so you can use third-party codecs like Perian (Perian ceased to work at all as of OS X 10.9, IIRC) is such a damn bummer, as is the total lack of old basic QuickTime Pro features.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I gave my MacBook Air away to them, and they are used to Windows and are old people. They can't just remember what I teach them, when they have spent years with Windows.

I guess your options come down to:

Sell the Air and buy them a Windows laptop

Purchase Windows 8 and install in BootCamp (I don't know if you can still install 7)

Which version of Windows are they used to? If it's 7, maybe 8.1 might help? Either way they're gonna be learning new stuff. Would be easier to try and dumb down OS X for them. What do they use the machine for? Internet? Show them the Safari icon and tell them that's internet. Set up all their bookmarks. And make sure they know the trackpad clicks. (So many newbies don't know this at all.) Tell us what they do and we can help you show them equivalents. That's if you don't go the Windows 8 route.

subrock

Hey, you're welcome man! Glad we could have a nice discussion about something you didn't want to discuss.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't recommend Windows 8 if OS X has them flummoxed. It really is a massive departure from previous versions.
Yeah, I would definitely recommend trying to teach them OS X. If they're used to 7, they're going to have to learn a whole bunch of new stuff anyway. Something tells me they only use internet. In which case it's perfect and super easy to show them which icon in the Dock that they will always be able to get to opens up a browser for them.

Or you could get them a Chromebook which is just a browser. It'd save you any Windows trouble and they'd probably pick it up super fast since there's not much to even learn there.

How long have they used a computer? What Windows OS did they start with? Because Microsoft changes Windows literally every time they release a new version with a lot of changes. OS X has changed too but mostly has stayed the same. Either way, all operating systems change drastically so unless they were using the same Windows for their entire computer using lives then they've probably gone through changes at some point.

Top Bottom