• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

numble

So apparently voice messaging is supposed to be this next big thing.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/02/tim-cook-voice-messaging/
But I just don't see why or how? Surely the joy of messages is you can read them at your leisure wherever you are. No matter where, subway, meeting, school, at the dinner table you wont want to start listening to audible messages‽ Or am I just getting old? Is there a viable use case that I am not seeing?
It's popular with Chinese users because the input systems are more complicated than roman input systems and since voice is already quicker than typing the speed benefit is multiplied.

Talon

But I just don't see why or how? Surely the joy of messages is you can read them at your leisure wherever you are. No matter where, subway, meeting, school, at the dinner table you wont want to start listening to audible messages‽ Or am I just getting old? Is there a viable use case that I am not seeing?
Let me tell you, typing on a touch screen fucking sucks in Asian languages.

Jacobi

Banned

Eh, I and almost everyone I know uses them. I've even seen people on the bus doing voice messages (via WhatsApp). It's just a lot of fun, more personal than messages but less effort than a real call.

Burai

shitonmychest57

Who says we'll have to listen? What if speech-to-text is the idea? Speak into the watch so you don't have to type on a miniscule screen, read it at the other end. There's no need to listen unless the algorithm has messed up somehow.

Woz

Who says we'll have to listen? What if speech-to-text is the idea? Speak into the watch so you don't have to type on a miniscule screen, read it at the other end. There's no need to listen unless the algorithm has messed up somehow.

#damnyouspeechtotext is the new #damnyouautocorrect.

Siri has been able to do that since day one, it works really well, I use it all the time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Let me tell you, typing on a touch screen fucking sucks in Asian languages.

can't you just write the characters? I do find it odd that you have a computer with touchscreen but you still end up using the same qwerty/10 key IME you do from old phones and PCs.

NekoFever

Does anyone know what icon Yosemite uses to represent Windows/SMB shares on your network? I feel like the joke about that CRT monitor with a BSOD has run its course and is just ugly now, particularly when my SMB shares are from a NAS, not a Windows machine.

I need a 4K Thunderbolt display Apple!

LLShC.gif

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does anyone know what icon Yosemite uses to represent Windows/SMB shares on your network? I feel like the joke about that CRT monitor with a BSOD has run its course and is just ugly now, particularly when my SMB shares are from a NAS, not a Windows machine.
Just checked. It's still a beige CRT with a BSOD.

I think they should change it to a black bordered generic LCD monitor (Like a Dell) with a Windows logo on it or something else. The BSOD was funny back in the day, but its time to change. Or even simpler, just a Windows logo.

Of course it could still be just not changed yet. But it probably won't be.

You could always change it yourself later if you have a proper replacement.

I need a 4K Thunderbolt display Apple!

LLShC.gif
4K would be hilariously low resolution to make for a proper Retina display on Apple's TBDs. It's like too low resolution for Retina and too high for normal viewing. So Apple would need to make it super high resolution, basically four times what the current display is (twice in each dimension) before they put out a Retina TBD. And you just know they won't release a new display until they can do that.

Plus those display panels would also need to go in the iMacs.

The question is when. But no one knows at all.

NekoFever

Just checked. It's still a beige CRT with a BSOD.

I think they should change it to a black bordered generic LCD monitor (Like a Dell) with a Windows logo on it or something else. The BSOD was funny back in the day, but its time to change. Or even simpler, just a Windows logo.

Of course it could still be just not changed yet. But it probably won't be.

You could always change it yourself later if you have a proper replacement.

It's particularly stupid because it applies it to all SMB shares, regardless of whether they're on Windows or not. So my nice new NAS, which runs on a Linux-based OS and is not a PC, shows up as an old Windows machine.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's particularly stupid because it applies it to all SMB shares, regardless of whether they're on Windows or not. So my nice new NAS, which runs on a Linux-based OS and is not a PC, shows up as an old Windows machine.
The thing is these days there isn't a generic "PC" logo they can use. Beige boxes no longer apply as no company makes them that way anymore. Is it possible for OS X to know whether the machine on the other end is Linux or Windows though? Does the networking standard they use broadcast that information? They just assume Windows since it's the most popular non-Mac computer. If there was a way to tell I'm sure they could show proper logos. Windows or the penguin for Linux. Maybe an Ubuntu one. Doesn't seem to be worth the effort from their point of view though.

If only you could manually choose a logo to use from the Get Info window. Would be a better solution if they included stock logos like Parallels has for each OS.

NekoFever

The thing is these days there isn't a generic "PC" logo they can use. Beige boxes no longer apply as no company makes them that way anymore. Is it possible for OS X to know whether the machine on the other end is Linux or Windows though? Does the networking standard they use broadcast that information? They just assume Windows since it's the most popular non-Mac computer. If there was a way to tell I'm sure they could show proper logos. Windows or the penguin for Linux. Maybe an Ubuntu one. Doesn't seem to be worth the effort from their point of view though.

If only you could manually choose a logo to use from the Get Info window. Would be a better solution if they included stock logos like Parallels has for each OS.

They should just use this:

network-drive-icon.png

It's surely irrelevant what OS a shared drive is running. That one perfectly depicts a shared hard drive.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They should just use this:

network-drive-icon.png

It's surely irrelevant what OS a shared drive is running. That one perfectly depicts a shared hard drive.
It's a shared drive. But not a shared computer. They need an icon of a generic PC to be displayed. The drives are in the PC. The drives are not the PC.

It's a shared drive. But not a shared computer. They need an icon of a generic PC to be displayed. The drives are in the PC. The drives are not the PC.

He's talking about for cases when the drive is in a NAS enclosure accessed by SMB. The Generic PC icon is fine for when you're accessing a drive that's part of another PC, but it doesn't make much sense for NAS drives.

hirokazu

He's talking about for cases when the drive is in a NAS enclosure accessed by SMB. The Generic PC icon is fine for when you're accessing a drive that's part of another PC, but it doesn't make much sense for NAS drives.
The OS doesn't know when an SMB server is a PC or a NAS though. Using a drive icon for the server rather than the share is even more confusing. They should probably use a generic PC tower or generic LCD monitor
with Windows 8 BSOD ;)

zychi

Banned
Whens the rumored new Airs coming out? I just bought a cheap like new MBP with a broken HDD (rich friend just bought a new one and thought it was trashed) and plan on selling it to get some cash for the supposed new retina air/12inch air.

Squalor

Whens the rumored new Airs coming out? I just bought a cheap like new MBP with a broken HDD (rich friend just bought a new one and thought it was trashed) and plan on selling it to get some cash for the supposed new retina air/12inch air.
Rumored announcement is in September.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You mean Developer Previews.

Also, apparently Dark Mode is accessible in this build. But from a screenshot I saw on MacRumors, it only affects the menubar and Dock. Not everything else?

I'm gonna reboot and install it myself.

Edit: Yeah. Definitely still not finished. But now it's accessible. The General settings panel now has the options "Appearance" which is still Graphite and Blue (Come on! We should have had a color picker for Aqua elements in 10.0!), Theme which is Dark and Light, Highlight Color which is still the same as usual and Sidebar Icon Size which is also the same. The Theme pulldown is new.

But it still only affects the menubar and Dock. Nothing else is affected at all. Not the window UI or anything. Also, since no third-party apps are updated, all menubar icons will look wrong or out of place until the updates start trickling in. (Just a little note, gfxCardStatus is one of the apps that is updated. Its icon changes to white when in dark mode. So the updates are slowly coming. And this was before I even installed the DP3.)

I'm hoping Dark Mode eventually affects the window chrome too. Dark UI with white text across the board.

The Yosemite DP3 is screamin'! No hang ups, no crashes so far. All in all much more stable than DP2. Haven't tried any of the new features yet, but I'm happy things finally got updated.

Also, and totally not related to IOS 8 stuff, but I've been having lots of problems with storage on my phone (iOS 8 beta 2) and an old 2nd gen iPad (iOS 7) where "something" is eating up all available storage. I've gone through Settings.app and checked what might be doing it, and there's nothing there. In fact, on the iPad, it has literally 10 apps. Anyway, it's odd. And it's preventing me from doing an OTA on my phone.

SuperPac

The Yosemite DP3 is screamin'! No hang ups, no crashes so far. All in all much more stable than DP2. Haven't tried any of the new features yet, but I'm happy things finally got updated.

Also, and totally not related to IOS 8 stuff, but I've been having lots of problems with storage on my phone (iOS 8 beta 2) and an old 2nd gen iPad (iOS 7) where "something" is eating up all available storage. I've gone through Settings.app and checked what might be doing it, and there's nothing there. In fact, on the iPad, it has literally 10 apps. Anyway, it's odd. And it's preventing me from doing an OTA on my phone.

I had that too, on my iPhone 5S. I'd been taking a lot of burst-mode photos recently but always made sure to select the favorites out of that and trash the rest. Well...when I connected my phone to my computer and synced with iPhoto, turns out it hadn't been trashing any of those burst photos. It might not have been deleting anything taken with the camera during that period. :O

I still have "something" taking up that space even though I told iPhoto I wanted to delete photos on my device. Hoping that b2 fixes that up when I update tonight.

btkadams

Are there any notable apps not working in the new beta builds? I usually jump in at beta 3.

Does Yosemite and/or iPad iOS 8 offer the SMS/phone-call sharing thing with iPhones yet?

I had that too, on my iPhone 5S. I'd been taking a lot of burst-mode photos recently but always made sure to select the favorites out of that and trash the rest. Well...when I connected my phone to my computer and synced with iPhoto, turns out it hadn't been trashing any of those burst photos. It might not have been deleting anything taken with the camera during that period. :O

I still have "something" taking up that space even though I told iPhoto I wanted to delete photos on my device. Hoping that b2 fixes that up when I update tonight.

I feel like I've taken maybe 30 burst photos in the last two months, so I don't think that can be it for me. But, yeah, I just deleted 5 games, and tallied up the usage of every app listed, and it's only 4.6 gigs, so "something" is now taking up over 5 gigs on my phone, preventing the OTA of the new beta. So bizarre.

Edit: Beta 3 didn't fix the storage issues. Looks like we may need to do a clean install once the RC is out. bummer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Am I too late to sign up for the Yosemite beta?
I think there were a million slots at the start. I'd say it's probably filled by now. I don't even know what the URL was.

It hasn't even been released to us people signed up yet. And with good reason. It's still really buggy.

Mindwipe

Does Yosemite Safari let you turn off that stupid URL abbreviation hiding feature yet?

It's of questionable use in iOS where the screen is thin. It's of no use on a 27 inch monitor.

I feel like I've taken maybe 30 burst photos in the last two months, so I don't think that can be it for me. But, yeah, I just deleted 5 games, and tallied up the usage of every app listed, and it's only 4.6 gigs, so "something" is now taking up over 5 gigs on my phone, preventing the OTA of the new beta. So bizarre.

Edit: Beta 3 didn't fix the storage issues. Looks like we may need to do a clean install once the RC is out. bummer.

Beta 3 didn't fix a damn thing... and is full of a whole slew of new and utterly embarrassing bugs. Installing an app from the App Store hard resets the OS 100% of the time for me. The repro steps on that Radar sounded snarky as hell:
1. Install an app.

jts

...hate me...
My 15GB of iCloud storage have hit a wall and I need MOAR.

1) does anybody know when the new tiers are going to hit?
2) when they do, what happens to legacy costumers? do they get refunds for the remaining periods on old iCloud plans?

I don't want to pay 32€ for a plan that is going to cost under 10 in a couple of months...

Yeah, OS X 10.10DP3 and iOS 8b3 are both pretty great improvements - the former in terms of speed (it was already pretty stable at DP2) and the latter in terms of stability (b3 was constantly forgetting app/OS preferences and even forgetting which model of phone it was installed on).

Funny thing during b2 - even though iOS 8 is supposed to be iPhone 4S and up (i.e. only models with Siri support), at one point I got it to turn on the ancient Voice Control feature, heh.

hirokazu

My iPad would freeze when I got the Swipe to update screen and swiped to the passcode prompt and then respring five minutes later, no way of getting past it.

Did a restore from backup and now I have 13GB of extra free space that was previously marked as "Other" data previously. :D

I think I'm gonna do a restore from backup on my iPhone as well, its "Other" data has also grown substantially during the first two betas.

Fowler

Yeah, OS X 10.10DP3 and iOS 8b3 are both pretty great improvements - the former in terms of speed (it was already pretty stable at DP2) and the latter in terms of stability (b3 was constantly forgetting app/OS preferences and even forgetting which model of phone it was installed on).

Funny thing during b2 - even though iOS 8 is supposed to be iPhone 4S and up (i.e. only models with Siri support), at one point I got it to turn on the ancient Voice Control feature, heh.

Funny you should say that -- I could ONLY activate voice control. I couldn't activate Siri at all.

Fowler

My iPad would freeze when I got the Swipe to update screen and swiped to the passcode prompt and then respring five minutes later, no way of getting past it.

Did a restore from backup and now I have 13GB of extra free space that was previously marked as "Other" data previously. :D

I think I'm gonna do a restore from backup on my iPhone as well, its "Other" data has also grown substantially during the first two betas.

Ooh, do tell me if that works, I have an absurd amount of "Other" data on my iPhone!

Top Bottom