• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

numble

Someone really should make a Code Conference thread. I am at work and on mobile, so that won't be me. There are a lot of important tech people speaking, including possibly 4 Apple executives speaking.

mollipen

I'm not saying Dashboard doesn't serve a purpose. At-a-glance information like what you posted is great and deeply necessary. I'm just saying that a Siri model, or (better yet) a Google Now model, is better at accomplishing that job.

It takes one second for me to bring up Dashboard, and get access to things I use on a regular basis. There's no way a Siri or Google Now model would be more convenient than what I have now.

BANNERZ

wwdc_2014_banner.jpg

I get more excited for WWDC then E3 these years

Fuchsdh

Mavericks is in many ways the new Snow Leopard and I fucking love it, though it definitely hasn't hit the rock-solid stability of OS X 10.6.8 yet.

Right now Apple's ecosystem is much more in need of iCloud improvements than it is in need of OS X or iOS improvements (though iOS really, really needs some sort of document-handler, albeit one that, IMO, ought to reside primarily in iCloud).

I honestly would not be too surprised to see 10.10 mostly be some iCloud improvements, Siri, and the all-but-confirmed huge visual alteration/unifiation, and very little else in the way of end-user-facing features *or* major new APIs. It'll be a mostly-cosmetic upgrade just like iOS 7 was a mostly-cosmetic upgrade (though iOS 7 had some really fascinating new APIs like TextKit and I expect the same of OS X 10.10).

Eh personally I think Mountain Lion was more like Snow Leopard :)

I honestly would not be too surprised to see 10.10 mostly be some iCloud improvements, Siri, and the all-but-confirmed huge visual alteration/unifiation, and very little else in the way of end-user-facing features *or* major new APIs. It'll be a mostly-cosmetic upgrade just like iOS 7 was a mostly-cosmetic upgrade (though iOS 7 had some really fascinating new APIs like TextKit and I expect the same of OS X 10.10).

Remember that the other part of that rumor was that Apple was pulling devs from iOS 8 to work on 10.10, so I don't know if we would want to understate what the improvements might be.

I do wonder what they're going to improve in 10.10, though.

Remember that the other part of that rumor was that Apple was pulling devs from iOS 8 to work on 10.10, so I don't know if we would want to understate what the improvements might be.

Devs got pulled from Mavericks to work on iOS 7 too, IIRC, for what it's worth.

iMax

So how's this home automation going to work then? Third-party partnerships for deeper APIs? Proprietary sensors? iBeacons? Should be exciting.

iMax

Not surprising considering both divisions are now under Cray-fed.

can’t say I give a shit about home automation. I can’t get excited about saving the time of turning on a light or getting an email when laundry is done. I can operate light switches pretty easily. it’s one of the easiest things I do in my life.

it’s all very meh to me.

similarly, health book rumours don’t excite me, either.

So I’m hoping there’s other “big" stuff that’s coming in iOS 8 and 10.10.

I was the same as you, then I bought smart-lightbulbs. When I come home from work the lights automatically turn on, they dim themselves 30 minutes before I go to sleep and turn on when I wake up.

Plus when I'm away on vacation I can automate the lights to follow my normal patterns so breakins is potentially minimised.

It's made it easier for me, and made my life easier. Plus if I forget to turn the lights off I can do that remotely as well.

I was the same as you, then I bought smart-lightbulbs. When I come home from work the lights automatically turn on, they dim themselves 30 minutes before I go to sleep and turn on when I wake up.

Plus when I'm away on vacation I can automate the lights to follow my normal patterns so breakins is potentially minimised.

It's made it easier for me, and made my life easier. Plus if I forget to turn the lights off I can do that remotely as well.

How do smart lightbulbs work?

How do smart lightbulbs work?

Mine are Philips Hue's. You have their bulbs which you just put whereever you want them, they work like any regular lightbulb. Then you have a "brain" that you connect to your WiFi. That brain talks to the bulbs and lets your app/computer talk to the bulbs.

From there you can change colors, dimming etc. on the fly or set up schedules. It's simple, and the software is still so far from where it needs to be.

But it's cool having the lights turn off when you leave home (GPS gating) and turn on when you get home.

KtSlime

I don't know about smart lightbulbs, but I've got LED lightbulbs with motion sensors built in, they turn on when I'm about 10 feet away and turn off in about 5 minutes. No fancy computer hookup, but it gets the job done.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Home automation would be handy just for being able to turn lights on and off on a timer when you're away for the house on holiday, or open the curtains during the day etc. but tbh I used to be able to do that back in the day with my pronto and X10. Having it be prettier/shinier is nice, but the prices of things like the Philips hue is crazy

iMax

Mine are Philips Hue's. You have their bulbs which you just put whereever you want them, they work like any regular lightbulb. Then you have a "brain" that you connect to your WiFi. That brain talks to the bulbs and lets your app/computer talk to the bulbs.

From there you can change colors, dimming etc. on the fly or set up schedules. It's simple, and the software is still so far from where it needs to be.

But it's cool having the lights turn off when you leave home (GPS gating) and turn on when you get home.

Really stupid question but do those bulbs have a normal warm white setting? Their adverts only show colours or a sort of fluorescent cold white.

LeleSocho

Banned
I use a few of them— I am honestly curious how useful they are on their own space as in your screenshot. I'm always using them in relation to something on the (non-dashboard) screen.
I find on screen widgets very obtrusive and distracting, within their own space though your information are one or two swipes away from where you are.
More tidy in my opinion.

I'm not saying Dashboard doesn't serve a purpose. At-a-glance information like what you posted is great and deeply necessary. I'm just saying that a Siri model, or (better yet) a Google Now model, is better at accomplishing that job.

Or at least something not based on HTML5/Javascript that runs like shit. Apple needs a clean break with Dashboard.

Voice based services are incredibly awkward to me, even if i am alone i'm almost embarrassed to talk with a machine.
It's also a lot slower because first it had to understand what you said, then if it got everything perfectly (unlikely with people who don't speak english) it has to push it on the cloud, process it and send the response. It takes 3-5 seconds to do that when you can simply go to the dashboard and have your information right there.

I'm not saying that it isn't the future, lately they even put two mic on the latest macs probably to be ready for siri but yeah it's not exciting to me... it feels like a proof of concept more than an actual solution.

iMax

Home automation would be handy just for being able to turn lights on and off on a timer when you're away for the house on holiday, or open the curtains during the day etc. but tbh I used to be able to do that back in the day with my pronto and X10. Having it be prettier/shinier is nice, but the prices of things like the Philips hue is crazy

But having home automation natively tied into iOS and OS X with Notification Center would just be insane.

I actually made a concept a few years ago for something like this, where you'd get a notification on your Mac when someone rings the doorbell or a notification on your Apple TV when someone rings your phone. Stuff like that would be cool.

Really stupid question but do those bulbs have a normal warm white setting? Their adverts only show colours or a sort of fluorescent cold white.

Their standard lighting mode comes really close to being a normal LED bulb, it might be a tiny bit dimmer than a normal bulb but I never noticed until I had them side by side.

Konka

Banned
Home automation doesn't excite me, but similar deeper-infrastructure stuff is *way* more exciting to me than e.g. wearables.

I want:
subway turnstiles that detect your phone and let you through
unlocking doors and cars with your phone
mobile payment systems embedded even in stuff like vending machines
use of the telephone to provide valid ID

Basically, for your smartphone to fully replace your wallet and keys so it's truly the only device you need to carry with you (and a wallet and keys that you can essentially switch off immediately if it gets stolen from you).

The technology for all of that exists, now, but it'd require a FUCKTON of government investment in infrastructure and policy changes for it to happen, so the libertarian-leaning Valley's never going to get excited about it *and* it's never going to happen in the US.

Yeah sorry but no thank you. I don't want to have to worry about charging my wallet and keys. Can't get into my car or call aaa because my key phone is dead. Or to have to replace a phone if I lose my wallet instead of just calling and cancelling cards. Losing one item and just being completely fucked. Nope.

Fuchsdh

I recently got my Phillips Hue set. Sure, they're expensive, but they're wireless multicolored LEDs that will last quite a while so I don't think of the price as being crazy. Mostly I just use them for interesting mood lighting though, with the remote options a nice bonus. Be meaning to also work on my scripting chops to create an online control panel for them.

When I look to all the home automation stuff, all I can think of is "I'm not getting anything out of this that I really want." Things like the Nest are cool in that they quickly become "forget about this thing it'll figure itself out", but it's still not solving any great need or inconvenience for me. Maybe Apple can persuade me otherwise… but what I want out of my appliances in my home is for them to be dumb, reliable pieces of kit that will last years if not decades (I've still got the old fridge from when I was a child, and in my parent's basement there's a hulking 60s refrigerator I've seen on Mad Men that's probably horribly energy-inefficient but was built to last.) Adding electronics to this stuff is just limiting its lifespan from the get-go, especially as we've seen with TVs how horrible it will be to update the firmware.

Maybe they'll get announced - there's certainly evidence in that direction - but 10.9.4 *just* got seeded for the first time. I wouldn't expect it to be out and ready for new Mac hardware next week.

Also, I don't think we'll necessarily see actual dividends from the Beats purchase at WWDC - the acquisition is way too recent and they haven't been integrated into Apple at all yet. Meanwhile, Apple's been working on the WWDC presentation for a good long time. Maybe they'll be onstage briefly with all of the Apple execs at the very end but they're not going to get to present anything, I think.

Maybe they'll get announced - there's certainly evidence in that direction - but 10.9.4 *just* got seeded for the first time. I wouldn't expect it to be out and ready for new Mac hardware next week.

The new iMacs will likely run their own version of 10.9.3, usually what happens with new hardware.

Servbot24

Banned

VoxPop

I'm excited. When these are announced I'll choose between them and building a PC (would prefer the iMac, but it depends how big the price gap is). My 2009 iMac still works fine but it's really showing its age as programs crash more frequently and bugs become more common. Not to mention I'm ready to graduate to an SSD.

Just build a PC in a nice mini case, dual boot OSX, and get the Thunderbolt monitor :)

Fuchsdh

Really hope we get mini update and a Thunderbolt 2 4K monitor. That would make me happy on the hardware side.

Aside from a cheaper iMac... Apple can't really push anything new until Intel gets its act together and ships Broadwell.

Apple expected to debut cheaper iMac and 8GB iPhone 5s at WWDC

Specifically, Kuo believes less expensive iMac and iPhone 5s models will be unveiled when WWDC 2014 kicks off next Monday. The prediction is in line with the analyst's report from April, which claimed Apple was on track to launch a low-cost iMac in the near future.

According to Kuo, Apple will cut iMac production costs by improving panel lamination and casing yields while incorporating parts-bin components being used in the MacBook lineup.

With the new cost-saving measures, Apple's low-end all-in-one will be able to compete with PC manufacturing giants Hewlett-Packard and Lenovo. Despite a more attractive price tag that will likely boost sales, Kuo revised his 2014 iMac shipment forecast from 4.8 million units to between 4 million and 4.5 million units citing sluggish desktop sales.

As for the iPhone 5s, savings will likely come from a decrease in internal storage, with Apple possibly opting to launch an 8GB version of its flagship handset like it did the iPhone 5c in burgeoning markets. The cheaper iPhone model is a wild card for WWDC, however, as Kuo notes Apple may hold off on such an announcement given the update is minor.

Aside from the iMac and possible iPhone 5s reveals, Kuo doesn't expect much more hardware-related information to be disclosed at the event. There is an outside possibility that the much-rumored iWatch may make an appearance as part of iOS 8's introduction, though chances of that happening are slim.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/28/apple-expected-to-debut-cheaper-imac-8gb-iphone-5s-at-wwdc

bionic77

I was thinking of getting a new Mac Mini along with a nice Dell Ultra 27+ inch monitor once they updated the minis.

But a cheaper iMac may change my mind.

Servbot24

Banned
If the cheap iMac has the same spec options as 2013 models I'm fine with that. But if it regresses I'll be pretty disappointed.

If the cheap iMac has the same spec options as 2013 models I'm fine with that. But if it regresses I'll be pretty disappointed.

I doubt that it'd regress like one of Apple's previous education-only models. I wouldn't expect a fantastic spec bump, but the idea would pretty clearly be "here's the non-4K model iMac for consumers on a budget."

I was thinking of getting a new Mac Mini along with a nice Dell Ultra 27+ inch monitor once they updated the minis.

But a cheaper iMac may change my mind.

Mini + monitor would typically cost more than an iMac, especially if you get an IPS panel, but you'll probably use the display years longer than the Mac, so the next Mac (or PC) will be that much cheaper since you don't need a display.

Top Bottom