• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

hirokazu

I AM BEGGING ON HANDS AND KNEES CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION

A USB drive that had all of my Numbers documents died, and I can't get anything off of it. I'm trying to get an offsite backup of those files from Crashplan, but I can't do a search online for the files, I have to know the path/file of them. In Yosemite, does anyone know the path of the iCloud drive? Were they stored in Mobile Documents in the Library folder like iCloud in 10.9? I desperately need the path for iCloud Drive in Yosemite.

PLEASE.
I'm not running Yosemite on a production machine, but can't you just open the iCloud Drive folder from the sidebar in Finder and then:
a) Go to View > Show Path Bar
b) Cmd+Click the folder name on the titlebar
c) Drag the folder icon in the titlebar into a Terminal window

Either of which will allow you to find the path?

I'm not running Yosemite on a production machine, but can't you just open the iCloud Drive folder from the sidebar in Finder and then:
a) Go to View > Show Path Bar
b) Cmd+Click the folder name on the titlebar
c) Drag the folder icon in the titlebar into a Terminal window

Either of which will allow you to find the path?

Doesn't seem to contain anything, and it is in Mobile Documents like any other iCloud folder. Did anything cache to the desktop in iCloud Drive?

Awww man now i feel bad because it seems i kind of forced you to buy it, i only wanted to inform you that you could do that :(
Nah, i wanted to buy it, don't worry. I should be receiving my maxed out monster friday.
But i have no doubt Yosemite will bring stuff that i'll need to resolve. Any big OS update brings issues.

Hmmm...maybe something is up with my backups then.... My iPad has photos and stuff on it but my phone one had zero photos and videos (I had cleared them off prior to backing up).
Another place images can hide is in Messages. Messages data can easily get up into the GBs if you have multiple long threads with images.

mf.luder

Hey guys, do we have an iOS 8 beta thread? I signed up people last year for the beta but I've decided to let me subscription elapse.

If you went through me last year to get a beta, make sure you don't run beta software this year unless someone adds your UDID to the whitelist.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hey guys, do we have an iOS 8 beta thread? I signed up people last year for the beta but I've decided to let me subscription elapse.

If you went through me last year to get a beta, make sure you don't run beta software this year unless someone adds your UDID to the whitelist.

Here: iOS8 Beta Sign-up thread

Sidenote: I am always amazed how many hardcore iOS fans willing spend 3 months each year on a buggy unstable OS.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
D'oh! You're right. It's definitely the messages.

Incidentally iOS 8 solves this by allowing you to manually manage your media storage inside message threads. Personally I'd rather not get rid of any of my messages, but I'd love to get rid of "Do you want me to pick up some ground beef? <attached picture of ground beef from grocery store>" or "Wow there's a fire downtown <video of smoke coming out of a building>" type stuff that's eating up gigabytes of data :p

Dany

Banned
Incidentally iOS 8 solves this by allowing you to manually manage your media storage inside message threads. Personally I'd rather not get rid of any of my messages, but I'd love to get rid of "Do you want me to pick up some ground beef? <attached picture of ground beef from grocery store>" or "Wow there's a fire downtown <video of smoke coming out of a building>" type stuff that's eating up gigabytes of data :p

Yes...I also appreciated being able to delete pictures of...ground beef.

Also seeing all the pics relayed in a conversation thread brings back good memories.

SuperPac

Upgraded my iMac to Yosemite and now my magic trackpad seems more sensitive to clicks and touching/dragging. Either that or it's sticking - I'll go to move the cursor and it registers it as a click and drag. :|

Haven't seen this on my MacBook Air, also on yosemite. Any ideas? :\

Number45

Upgraded my iMac to Yosemite and now my magic trackpad seems more sensitive to clicks and touching/dragging. Either that or it's sticking - I'll go to move the cursor and it registers it as a click and drag. :|

Haven't seen this on my MacBook Air, also on yosemite. Any ideas? :\
I actually have something like this on my MBA, on Mavericks. Seemed to appear with one of the software updates (can't remember which).

I should get it checked, but it's intermittent so not easy to demonstrate.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I AM BEGGING ON HANDS AND KNEES CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION

A USB drive that had all of my Numbers documents died, and I can't get anything off of it. I'm trying to get an offsite backup of those files from Crashplan, but I can't do a search online for the files, I have to know the path/file of them. In Yosemite, does anyone know the path of the iCloud drive? Were they stored in Mobile Documents in the Library folder like iCloud in 10.9? I desperately need the path for iCloud Drive in Yosemite.

PLEASE.
They should be in Mobile Documents, if they are still on the cloud. And of course if you have CrashPlan set to keep old backups and backup your Library then that folder should be part of it.

When you open Numbers on your Mac is it no longer in there? Did you remove it from iCloud? You'll have to hope it's on CrashPlan then.

Either way, the path is simple: ~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~Numbers

Beta 4 for iOS and Yosemite are out. Yosemite includes an updated iTunes with a new UI and icon.

Taken from MacRumors:
itunes12.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Whoa. A new iTunes already? I was expecting that to be held off until October. I was hoping it'd be a total revamp too.

I wish I didn't have to go to work now. I look forward to updating Yosemite when I get home.

Is Dark Mode more fleshed out yet?

The new iTunes seems to be alright, it's not radically different besides the stores being split up between Music/Apps/Movies/TV/Etc.

Whoa. A new iTunes already? I was expecting that to be held off until October. I was hoping it'd be a total revamp too.

I wish I didn't have to go to work now. I look forward to updating Yosemite when I get home.

Is Dark Mode more fleshed out yet?

Dark Mode as far as I can tell is exactly the same except now it's an option you tick instead of being part of a drop down menu.

Edit:

iOS now feels less buggy, Music apps don't crash my phone when I lock my screen anymore...and of course as soon as I say that my phone crashes using notification center.

Blackhead

Redarse
iOS 8 Beta 4 Tidbits: Tips App, Control Center Redesign, New Display Options
Macworld said:
Tips: The Tips app that was first hinted at during WWDC has surfaced in iOS 8 beta 4, giving users tips on how to use iOS 8 on a weekly basis. For example, there are directions on using quick notification responses, sending voice messages, using notifications for Mail responses, activating Siri hands-free, and more. The Tips app is a default iOS app and cannot be uninstalled.

lol, wut?!

Oh well. Another app to join Maps, Game Center, Newsstand, etc in my Garbage folder.

Also, thank fuck they let you disable the stupid ass favorites/recents in the task switcher now. Shit looked so fucking bad.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's a long overdue app. There are so many little things about iOS that people have been kind of expected to just figure out on their own. Hopefully this marks the end of showing someone how to take a screenshot of their phone and being seen as some kind of genius/nerd.
...Are you suggesting iOS is soo complicated that Apple needs to provide a Tips app installed by default on every iDevice? When did this happen (screenshots have been around since the early days) since iPhone OS 2? It's a bit ironic that part of the iOS7 redesign justification was that the training wheels were coming off and users didn't need as much hand holding.

...Are you suggesting iOS is soo complicated that Apple needs to provide a Tips app installed by default on every iDevice? When did this happen (screenshots have been around since the early days) since iPhone OS 2? It's a bit ironic that part of the iOS7 redesign justification was that the training wheels were coming off and users didn't need as much hand holding.

iOS isn't too complicated for the average user but there are plenty of small hidden things that most people aren't going to just figure out on their own.

Blackhead

Redarse
iOS isn't too complicated for the average user but there are plenty of small hidden things that most people aren't going to just figure out on their own.

so why the fuck does Apple have to make into that another default app? They already include a Safari bookmark to the iPhone user guide, many tips available on their website and they offer free training sessions at Apple Stores. If Apple discovered that their screenshot method is soo complicated that most users still haven't found it, and they consider it an important feature most users should find, the solution is to redesign their UI to make it easier to use not to add another information dump via an app. *ugh*

btkadams

so why the fuck does Apple have to make into that another default app? They already include a Safari bookmark to the iPhone user guide, many tips available on their website and they offer free training sessions at Apple Stores. If Apple discovered that their screenshot method is soo complicated that most users still haven't found it, and they consider it an important feature most users should find, the solution is to redesign their UI to make it easier to use not to add another information dump via an app. *ugh*
Why does this bother you so much?

It'd be great if there was an option to delete it (along with other default apps) but I really don't see why it's a big deal, just hide it in some folder.

GWX

Teaching how iOS works is just one function of the Tips app. Teaching new iOS 8 features to the average user is the ultimate reason for it to exist, IMO.

rezuth

It'd be great if there was an option to delete it (along with other default apps) but I really don't see why it's a big deal, just hide it in some folder.

I don't like the idea of deleting them but hiding them should be an option somewhere in settings for sure.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So Dark Mode still doesn't change the UI of windows yet? Weird. We know it's coming. Maybe they're waiting for everything to be finalized. As it sits now it's just out of place only having the menu and dock dark.

So Dark Mode still doesn't change the UI of windows yet? Weird. We know it's coming. Maybe they're waiting for everything to be finalized. As it sits now it's just out of place only having the menu and dock dark.

It's not even called Dark Mode in the menu right now, instead it's an option to "Use dark menu bar and Dock".

I wish I could uninstall itunes from my mac.

Hopefully they'll eventually break it out into totally separate apps/services for music, video, itunes store, app store, syncing, and so on.

As-is, the need to build it in parallel with a Windows version that *has* to arrive as a whole package is seriously holding it back and leading to unnecessary bloat on the OS X side.

GWX

That's strange. I mean some UI images were changed. Have they given up for now? I mean that feature got a large applause at WWDC.

Truth be told, they have never showed darkened windows and window elements, only the dock and the menu bar. I still think they'll keep windows unaffected and keep the window color a developer's choice, like Apple's pro apps or Pixelmator.

hirokazu

So now that there's a Handoff section in Settings > General, it seems like Handoff isnt supported on iPad 3 even though it has BT 4.0. Shame, the only reasons I can think of is either lack of compatible Wi-Fi chipset, or deliberate obsolescence. That explains why I never got it to work too.

It would've been nice if they listed what devices suported which new features on the iOS 8 section of their webpage like they did with previous iOS versions instead of leaving people guessing.

hirokazu

Truth be told, they have never showed darkened windows and window elements, only the dock and the menu bar. I still think they'll keep windows unaffected and keep the window color a developer's choice, like Apple's pro apps or Pixelmator.
Given the new wording, that seems to be how it'll be. From the unfinished resources though, it seemed like they tried to make it apply to windows too but may have given up.

There's gonna be a lot of disappointment with this.

LCfiner

I gotta say. I prefer the look of the thin black outlines around buttons in iOS 7. Not a fan of this shaded area over translucency.

fYNFBO7.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh well. Another app to join Maps, Game Center, Newsstand, etc in my Garbage folder.

Also, thank fuck they let you disable the stupid ass favorites/recents in the task switcher now. Shit looked so fucking bad.
lol, it was so stupid.
"So this app switcher screen looks a bit empty here at the top. Let's see what completely unrelated feature can we cram in there..."

I wish there was a tip telling people not to force-close apps.

I tell people all the time that there is no need to force-close apps. That it takes more energy to restart the app, and you should be configuring the app to use less power from settings, but they never listen. So dumb.

Frankly, thanks, Android.

hirokazu

lol, it was so stupid.
"So this app switcher screen looks a bit empty here at the top. Let's see what completely unrelated feature can we cram in there..."
I don't know why you guys have such a big problem with it. I've found it to be pretty useful.

I gotta say. I prefer the look of the thin black outlines around buttons in iOS 7. Not a fan of this shaded area over translucency.

fYNFBO7.jpg
They've been slowly eradicating black outlines around icons and things through the betas, this seems to be more of that. Can't say I'm a fan, but I'll probably get used to it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know why you guys have such a big problem with it. I've found it to be pretty useful.
It just makes no sense. What's favorite contacts doing in an app switcher? Besides you get the same thing if you tap the phone icon. I have no problem if anyone likes it - it's a small extra feature after all, but it just seems bafflingly out of place.

Top Bottom