• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Is there any indication of when the first Apple desktops (iMAc in my case) will be released with Yosemite installed?
Perhaps with new updated hardware?

Dany

Banned
IMG_4494%20copy.PNG
Can't believe stock music won't be updated in ios 8.

LeleSocho

Banned
Is there any indication of when the first Apple desktops (iMAc in my case) will be released with Yosemite installed?
Perhaps with new updated hardware?

The same day or the day after Yosemite is released, may i ask you why would you need such an information though? The os is free and you can easily buy one of them now and install it when it's released.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Fall event for music. Pretty sure that's why iTunes has a new red icon.
I'm hopeful... Both iTunes and the music app need complete overhauls, IMO.
There will definitely be a new iTunes in the fall. Probably right around Yosemite's release.

Will it be an overhaul again? We can only hope. All we do know is that it'll have a new icon.

And come on, where is the goddamn Up Next?? That shit should have been in iOS 6!

ecurbj

My 15GB of iCloud storage have hit a wall and I need MOAR.

1) does anybody know when the new tiers are going to hit?
2) when they do, what happens to legacy costumers? do they get refunds for the remaining periods on old iCloud plans?

I don't want to pay 32€ for a plan that is going to cost under 10 in a couple of months...

Actually if your using / have a iOS / Mac Developer's account you get an additional 50GB for a limited time though and then it reverts back to your current storage after November 1, 2014. Here is the link to sign up to get it.

Hope that helps you out :]

Sickbean

There will definitely be a new iTunes in the fall. Probably right around Yosemite's release.

Will it be an overhaul again? We can only hope. All we do know is that it'll have a new icon.

And come on, where is the goddamn Up Next?? That shit should have been in iOS 6!

I'd expect the new iTunes to start the ball rolling in terms of moving from digital downloads to streaming services. That seems to be the way the industry is heading.

Fuchsdh

I'd expect the new iTunes to start the ball rolling in terms of moving from digital downloads to streaming services. That seems to be the way the industry is heading.

Certainly be a good justification for revamping iTunes at the code level, if not another UI redesign. I personally don't stream much so the only thing I want out of iTunes is performance.

I foresee iTunes turning into Music.app on OS X. A complete revamp, a la iPhoto -> Photos.app.
I hope so, but I don't see that change happening this year (just as I don't see Safari OSX gaining a "Save to Photo Library" option for a little while).

Building music and syncing services into the OS is something we'd have seen signs of already.

Fuchsdh

I foresee iTunes turning into Music.app on OS X. A complete revamp, a la iPhoto -> Photos.app.

I hope so, but I don't see that change happening this year (just as I don't see Safari OSX gaining a "Save to Photo Library" option for a little while).

Building music and syncing services into the OS is something we'd have seen signs of already.

The problem with that is 'what about Windows?' If they devolve some of the syncing functions from iTunes into the OS that means they need to create another application for doing that on Windows (maybe they should port over Quicktime X while they're at it…)

Also, I don't see them killing iTunes. The brand has value in that name.

glaurung

The problem with that is 'what about Windows?' If they devolve some of the syncing functions from iTunes into the OS that means they need to create another application for doing that on Windows (maybe they should port over Quicktime X while they're at it…)

Also, I don't see them killing iTunes. The brand has value in that name.
Makes sense that they'd level the difference between iOS and Mac OS.

My bet is that we will see a Music app in Mac OS at some point, but not now. The iTunes brand is indeed strong and it makes sense they'd want to keep it for now. This is also reasonable because the music store is called iTunes, which also incorporates movies and TV and books and apps.

But in a year or two? Music on Mac OS. Apple Music on Windows.

fireside

I don't see what is preventing Apple from keeping iTunes for Windows around more or less as-is while they rebuild iTunes/syncing on OS X

(Besides limited manpower, but at this point in Apple's life that seems less and less of a reasonable justification)

jwluther

On iOS 8 Beta 3... just found out that the option to start new iMessages from my phone number is gone... it only lists my registered email addresses. Is that a bug?

mrkgoo

On iOS 8 Beta 3... just found out that the option to start new iMessages from my phone number is gone... it only lists my registered email addresses. Is that a bug?

that could be a server side issue. lie the number got deregistered. try turning iMessage off and on again. that didn't work for me, I had to turn it off and wait 24 hours and turn back on and it re-registered my number.

The same day or the day after Yosemite is released, may i ask you why would you need such an information though? The os is free and you can easily buy one of them now and install it when it's released.
Sometimes updating an OS causes problems.
But, i ordered a maxed out 27inch iMac today, so i followed your advice.

GWX

Loving DP3, the look, the dark mode, the freshness overall. The only things that feel slower/"jankier" than Mavericks on my Mac mini is the Mission Control and (specially) the Notification Center animations. I hope these things improve, and also some UI elements/UX that still need to be polished.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Funny, I'm not in the Yosemite beta but yesterday I got pushed an update for the developer preview of Safari on the App Store. I didn't update and it's gone today.

I'm really hoping the public Beta of Yosemite, not to mention the way higher number of "developers" testing out the OS really helps with the stability. It would be great to see a 10.10.0 release perform like a 10.10.2.

Dany

Banned
IOS 8 beta 3 and Yosemite have both been stable to run this week so far.

Only gripe is that pause/play using the headphones control freezes/crash the media-playing app. SO If I am running with nike+ and playing music from spotify, I can adjust the volume but I can't pause/play or skip forward.

Also airdrop between ios/osx is GODLY. Took them long enough.

btkadams

IOS 8 beta 3 and Yosemite have both been stable to run this week so far.

Only gripe is that pause/play using the headphones control freezes/crash the media-playing app. SO If I am running with nike+ and playing music from spotify, I can adjust the volume but I can't pause/play or skip forward.

Also airdrop between ios/osx is GODLY. Took them long enough.
As someone who has NEVER used airdrop and owns an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro, why is airdrop godly? What is the point of it? What are you transferring? I honestly have no idea what you can use it for, so I'm not intending to sound like I'm mocking you.

Fuchsdh

As someone who has NEVER used airdrop and owns an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro, why is airdrop godly? What is the point of it? What are you transferring? I honestly have no idea what you can use it for, so I'm not intending to sound like I'm mocking you.

It's a faster way of emailing yourself stuff, connecting via a LAN, or sticking something you want to schlep on a thumb drive or something similar.

numble

If you need to transfer files back and forth, it is a very simple way of sending things. Here are some scenarios I've used it for:

I'm looking at a PDF file on my iPad, I send it to my iPhone because I'm leaving the house.
I downloaded a PDF while out with my iPhone, I send it to my iPad to look at with a larger screen.
I need to e-mail a file on the go that happens to be on my iPad (and my carrier won't let me do a hotspot), I send it to my iPhone so it can e-mail it.
I need to apply a signature on a PDF but my iPhone doesn't have an app to do that, I send it to the iPad which has an app to handle it.
Send photos/files to friends/coworkers.

Deku Tree

AirDrop is fantastic. For example I was on vacation two weeks ago with my family and everyone has iPhones. And omg there was no wifi. I airdropped myself photos from many other peoples phones then I didn't have to worry about five people wanting to take the same picture with their camera too. Also I didn't have to use limited data to transfer the large file pictures.

mrkgoo

AirDrop is fantastic. For example I was on vacation two weeks ago with my family and everyone has iPhones. And omg there was no wifi. I airdropped myself photos from many other peoples phones then I didn't have to worry about five people wanting to take the same picture with their camera too. Also I didn't have to use limited data to transfer the large file pictures.
It's a nice little feature implemented in a simple manner. I know people would wonder why it wasn't implemented before but it does require specific technology to make it so the p2p connection is very frictionless.

Continuity in the latest beta can be rather annoying. If I answer/decline a call on my phone it will continue to ring on my Mac/iPad until I decline it on there as well.

Jacobi

Banned

It's like sending photos with bluetooth (what everyone did 7-10 years ago)

ecurbj

Continuity in the latest beta can be rather annoying. If I answer/decline a call on my phone it will continue to ring on my Mac/iPad until I decline it on there as well.
Yes! I was sleep and declined a call on my iPhone. The call was still ringing on my MacBook Pro and iPad. I was furious. But it's a Beta so it's to be expected ;)

btkadams

Guys, I'm not running iOS 8, but this seems like a good place to ask. Has anyone ever had a problem restoring their iPhone (from iCloud backup) where it says it's still restoring for days? It's been 8 days now and it still says restoring. The used space went up by about 1 GB over the weekend but that could have just been photos and music I downloaded. It doesn't seem to make sense. I have extremely fast internet at home too, so it should have downloaded everything over one night.

It appears that all of my apps and content have been downloaded, so I don't know what could be left.

RevoDS

Guys, I'm not running iOS 8, but this seems like a good place to ask. Has anyone ever had a problem restoring their iPhone (from iCloud backup) where it says it's still restoring for days? It's been 8 days now and it still says restoring. The used space went up by about 1 GB over the weekend but that could have just been photos and music I downloaded. It doesn't seem to make sense. I have extremely fast internet at home too, so it should have downloaded everything over one night.

It appears that all of my apps and content have been downloaded, so I don't know what could be left.

It's probably just a display bug where progress doesn't display properly. I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice something that didn't properly restore.

Restoring an iPhone should take about 15 minutes, and restoring the backup should take less than 2 minutes, especially in the case of iCloud backups which only restore settings and lets apps download themselves again from the App Store.

These things are small. My iPhone's backups take roughly 400MB on iCloud, while my iPad backup takes 70MB.

There's no way that 8 days is remotely close to being right. Even if you were on dialup.

You know, I made a comment about how I was disappointed that there didn't seem to be many under the hood improvements with Yosemite, but how much of the OS is being rewritten in Swift? Even big parts of it would be a potentially significant/pretty cool upgrade.

btkadams

It's probably just a display bug where progress doesn't display properly. I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice something that didn't properly restore.

Restoring an iPhone should take about 15 minutes, and restoring the backup should take less than 2 minutes, especially in the case of iCloud backups which only restore settings and lets apps download themselves again from the App Store.

These things are small. My iPhone's backups take roughly 400MB on iCloud, while my iPad backup takes 70MB.

There's no way that 8 days is remotely close to being right. Even if you were on dialup.
Really? My iCloud backup is 12.1 GB. iPad backup is 10.3 GB.

RevoDS

Really? My iCloud backup is 12.1 GB. iPad backup is 10.3 GB.

I suppose you take tons of photos and videos with your devices?

Because that's literally the only thing that can take up a significant amount of space in these backups.

Apple said:
Purchase history for music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books (Your iCloud backup includes information about the content you have purchased, but not the purchased content itself.)

Photos and videos in your Camera Roll

Device settings

App data

Home screen and app organization

iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages

Ringtones

Visual Voicemail
That's the whole list of things iCloud keeps in backups. Most of these take just a few MBs at most besides photos and maybe ringtones.

btkadams

I suppose you take tons of photos and videos with your devices?

Because that's literally the only thing that can take up a significant amount of space in these backups.

That's the whole list of things iCloud keeps in backups. Most of these take just a few MBs at most besides photos and maybe ringtones.
Hmmm...maybe something is up with my backups then.... My iPad has photos and stuff on it but my phone one had zero photos and videos (I had cleared them off prior to backing up).

I AM BEGGING ON HANDS AND KNEES CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION

A USB drive that had all of my Numbers documents died, and I can't get anything off of it. I'm trying to get an offsite backup of those files from Crashplan, but I can't do a search online for the files, I have to know the path/file of them. In Yosemite, does anyone know the path of the iCloud drive? Were they stored in Mobile Documents in the Library folder like iCloud in 10.9? I desperately need the path for iCloud Drive in Yosemite.

PLEASE.

Top Bottom