• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

rezuth

Heard that gaming performance is greatly enhanced in Yosemite, anyone care to chime in on this? Haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Apple is nearing completion of iOS 8.0′s development, and it plans to release a fifth and likely final beta to developers for testing on Monday, August 4th, according to the sources. Apple will finish up work on this beta 5 early next week, the sources said, and a golden master version of iOS 8 will be completed either in late-August or early September in order to provide ample time for both carrier testing and the installation of the iOS onto iPhone 6s in production.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/23/apple...ember-iphone-event-as-ios-8-nears-completion/

iOS 7 had 6 betas, but beta 6 was to fix a bug with iTunes in the cloud.

kaskade

Damn, seeing all this news is making me want it now. Oh well, at least it's giving me a chance to back up my music and pictures. I probably would've just jumped the gun and installed it ASAP.

Dany

Banned
So what's the current beta build of Yosemite like so far as stability goes? Not sure whether I should risk putting it on my Macbook Pro or not since it's my primary machine.

Both ios beta 8 and yosemite beta 8 are stable and work great. There are more small annoyances with ios 8, and depending on the app you milage might be different.

btkadams

I put Yosemite on my MBP last night and Ableton Live 9 functioned normally. I'm not sure why that person on Twitter said the instrument/clip/effect browser wasn't working. It was there for me. I only spent maybe 20 minutes on it last night, but it seemed pretty stable.

iOS 8 beta 4 has also been stable for me on my phone. It seems a tad glitchier on my iPad though. The top bar sometimes overlaps with the top of an app. For example, in Facebook, the notification button will be overlapping on the top iOS bar. It's a bit bizarre.

pronk420

To be honest I'd be happy with just the release of a Safari 8 Beta. Can't wait to use it.

yeah the new safari looks really nice, seriously considering switching to that. the performance of recent versions has been awesome but i don't much care for the way they look.

I can't believe they still haven't gone with tabs on top though. it was awesome in that one beta that had it but people went insane because they couldn't handle change and they relented and switched it back to the weird way it is at the moment.

Water

I don't see why that would be. Isn't OpenGL version unchanged since Mavericks?

They could have added 90% of missing modern GL features and the version number would not change because the other 10% is not there. They could also have optimized their drivers without adding any features.

From Gurman:

- final Yosemite Developer Preview to be seeded on September 29th
- golden master build around October 10th
- release late Oct

- Sources say that Apple is finishing up work on both a smaller MacBook with a high-resolution display and a new desktop computer, either an iMac or a standalone monitor, with a 4K resolution screen.
- new MacBook released in Oct will include a Retina Display that is approximately 12-inches diagonally and it will include a much thinner and slightly lighter aluminum body,

http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/23/os-x-...pple-preps-4k-desktop-12-inch-retina-macbook/

Deku Tree

From Gurman:

- release late Oct

- Sources say that Apple is finishing up work on both a smaller MacBook with a high-resolution display and a new desktop computer, either an iMac or a standalone monitor, with a 4K resolution screen.
- new MacBook released in Oct will include a Retina Display that is approximately 12-inches diagonally and it will include a much thinner and slightly lighter aluminum body,

http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/23/os-x-...pple-preps-4k-desktop-12-inch-retina-macbook/

But does it run on an ARM chip?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wow. Beta tomorrow. Man. Why couldn't it be today. It's gonna be a long 24 hours. Cannot wait to install it on my main partition and give it a real test.

btkadams

I have to ask.

Why are so many people waiting for the public beta? I'm not just referring to people on GAF. I've seen a lot of chatter elsewhere. Unless Apple has changed things with Yosemite, Mac OS X Developer Previews do not require being a registered developer and they do not use authentication keys. Anyone can download them and install them on their machine.

I am in no way advocating it, since it's against Apple's policy, but there's really nothing stopping people. If anyone is curious, I am a registered developer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have to ask.

Why are so many people waiting for the public beta? I'm not just referring to people on GAF. I've seen a lot of chatter elsewhere. Unless Apple has changed things with Yosemite, Mac OS X Developer Previews do not require being a registered developer and they do not use authentication keys. Anyone can download them and install them on their machine.

I am in no way advocating it, since it's against Apple's policy, but there's really nothing stopping people. If anyone is curious, I am a registered developer.
You just answered your own question.

Not everyone wants to grab it from what could be a dangerous source. Having a Public Beta sanctioned by Apple allows them to get legit feedback from legit users and make sure everyone gets a copy in the most safest way possible without having to Google for torrents.

The lack of security keys is nothing. The PB will be delivered through proper channels directly to the user and provide them with the tools needed to offer feedback when needed.

Plus the fact that they're finally offering it shows that Apple knows how excited people get for their new OS', even if they're early. It allows them to release it when they feel it's stable enough for most users. Hopefully next year they'll expand it to iOS. Too bad they're not doing it for iOS 8 seeing as how intertwined the two are this time.

Not everyone wants to grab it from what could be a dangerous source. Having a Public Beta sanctioned by Apple allows them to get legit feedback from legit users and make sure everyone gets a copy in the most safest way possible without having to Google for torrents.

The lack of security keys is nothing. The PB will be delivered through proper channels directly to the user and provide them with the tools needed to offer feedback when needed.

Plus the fact that they're finally offering it shows that Apple knows how excited people get for their new OS', even if they're early. It allows them to release it when they feel it's stable enough for most users. Hopefully next year they'll expand it to iOS. Too bad they're not doing it for iOS 8 seeing as how intertwined the two are this time.

Installers *do* tend to rum checksums (and Apple installers tend to check those numbers online), for what it's worth.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Installers *do* tend to rum checksums (and Apple installers tend to check those numbers online), for what it's worth.
Remember the whole iWork trojan fiasco a few years ago? Checksums didn't matter in that case. You still run the risk of downloading a fake or modified DMG. Doesn't happen much, but it does happen. Especially when demand is huge. Plus, as said, people don't usually want to deal with torrents. And it's nice knowing that you're in Apple's database and can give them feedback whenever you find a problem rather than keeping it to yourself and hoping another dev noticed the same thing.

btkadams

Those are all valid points. I was just wondering why there seemed to be so many more people excited for it (and waiting) than what I remember from previous years. Maybe it's just in my head though.

subrock

So tomorrow, I will essentially be able to install Yosemite for free and without signing up for anything?

if you signed up when the registrations were open and you were one of the first million to do so.

edit: my bad, thought registrations were closed. Doubtful that less than a million have signed up by this point though.

LCfiner

So tomorrow, I will essentially be able to install Yosemite for free and without signing up for anything?

I think you had to have already signed up at Apple’s beta registration site when they announced it this WWDC.

but, if they got way less than 1 million registered applicants, they could open it up to a lot more people? not sure.

Deku Tree

Wait so did Apple get way less than a million people signing up? Or did they just remove the one million restriction and open it up to everybody?

Deku Tree

Somehow I think having a public iOS beta is harder. A lot more people are gonna get angry if their phone stops working, or glitches out, etc...

GWX

More annoying than the light blue folders, here's my main problem with Yosemite's UI.

The goddamn search field.

ceKW1fD.png

The text is centered, not the magnifying glass + text. The OCD in me can't take it. iOS 7's search fields aren't like that. Mavericks didn't even have the "search" string in it.

It'll be my first suggestion to Apple when the public beta becomes available.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Somehow I think having a public iOS beta is harder. A lot more people are gonna get angry if their phone stops working, or glitches out, etc...
There's plenty of disclaimers and caveats they can push in peoples faces. Make it extremely clear that it should only be used on a device you don't absolutely need to live.

LCfiner

There's plenty of disclaimers and caveats they can push in peoples faces. Make it extremely clear that it should only be used on a device you don't absolutely need to live.

that’s not enough. people will still do it and have issues and get mad at Apple saying, in response, “well, we told ya.” There’s no real upside for Apple to open up an iOS beta to the masses, but a lot of PR risk.

More annoying than the light blue folders, here's my main problem with Yosemite's UI.

The goddamn search field.

ceKW1fD.png

The text is centered, not the magnifying glass + text. The OCD in me can't take it. iOS 7's search fields aren't like that. Mavericks didn't even have the "search" string in it.

It'll be my first suggestion to Apple when the public beta becomes available.

Ha, this is actually good design in my view, they've essentially let the icon 'hang'. Kinda cool to see how that might sit wrong with some folks though.

Fuchsdh

Oh I'm going to be Sir OCD design issue bug report sender, I suspect. Although I feel like I'd need a retina display to make some determinations.

Although on a semi-related note I just realized not only will Quartz debugger allow me to run a HiDPI mode on my non-retina screens, it enables scalers for higher resolutions as well. So now my 1680x1050 20" ACD is now 1920x1200, and if I was crazy I could enable 4K on my 21" 1080p monitor.

kaskade

I'm wondering what time this is going to release. I'd ideally like an earlier morning release as my internet at work is not so hot.

Number45

From Gurman:

- release late Oct

Why do these sources keep making me doubt myself? D:

Fuchsdh

I assume this is going to drop as an installer like OS 10.7+ right? That way I can download at work and schlep it home on a jump drive. Guess my 2011 Mac mini is going to be the test case for it since it's got BT 4. Surprising they aren't dropping the iOS beta at the same time given the continuity features being so heavily touted, but the iron cannot be hurried and all that, I suppose.

In general is it worth it at all to do a fresh install on osx?
On my old windows machines I know it made a hell of a difference every couple of months.

Fuchsdh

In general is it worth it at all to do a fresh install on osx?
On my old windows machines I know it made a hell of a difference every couple of months.

I don't do it every few months but whenever I upgrade a new OS I usually just do a clean install to remove the crap I never use, et al.

kaskade

Supposedly the betas usually drop around 10:00 PDT so I'm guessing it'll be around that time.

Fair enough. Maybe I'll wait until I get home. Give me something to look forward to. Today's the day. Really excited. This is probably the biggest visual revision since Leopard right? If I'm remembering correctly that's 2007.

LCfiner

Fair enough. Maybe I'll wait until I get home. Give me something to look forward to. Today's the day. Really excited. This is probably the biggest visual revision since Leopard right? If I'm remembering correctly that's 2007.

yup. 2007 was the last system wide change and this one is even bigger. Leopard was a consolidation of existing styles into one unified window style. this one is brand new.

Plus first system font change since the10.0 debut in, what, 2000?

Whole new world

*pours out a 40 for Lucida Grande*

Mindwipe

I'm curious to see if iCloud Drive will be fully operational by the time the iOS8 Gold Master ships. As there's no developer signing of the GM it tends to leak out quite a bit wider outside the normal beta testing group, so if it starts messing up people's document storage that could be a bit of a mess.

Jobiensis

You shouldn't lose your virtual unless

1) Your virtual is a boot camp hybrid in which case it probably will work, but I haven't tested it.

2) Your version of Parallels is incompatible with the beta of OS X. Yosemite hasn't caused me any problems with this, but it always seems like the final release version will somehow break Parallels, requiring a paid upgrade of Parallels.

Top Bottom