• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

I’d recommend anyone in the public beta who wants dark mode to affect windows and not just menubar/dock to write problem reports on it in the beta feedback assistant app.

That's going to require further work, I think, because it'll mean making sure that *all* standard elements switch to dark mode including in third-party apps, which'll require lots of testing from developers, and so on. Apple had better implement a full version of it SOON so developers can start testing that shit.

I'd looooove the option to have your computer auto-detect brightness levels periodically (on computers capable of it) and set you to dark mode accordingly.

Jesus.. I'll just wait for the finished Os. I'm way to paranoid to try out an Os beta. In fact i'm allready scared at what complications the finished product will bring...

LCfiner

That's going to require further work, I think, because it'll mean making sure that *all* standard elements switch to dark mode including in third-party apps, which'll require lots of testing from developers, and so on. Apple had better implement a full version of it SOON so developers can start testing that shit.

I'd looooove the option to have your computer auto-detect brightness levels periodically (on computers capable of it) and set you to dark mode accordingly.

absolutely. i don’t expect it to happen by launch for the reasons you mentioned.

But, at least if Apple gets the feedback - and if it’s large enough - they could work on it for a future release.

semi related to third party apps and “fitting in”.Yosemite’s very light and last UI has already gotten me to switch from tweetbot to twitteriffic on the desktop. the clash was just too much with tweetbot’s, dark, heavy design.

Saving the few things I feel I need to keep and gonna completely wipe my mavericks air and install the beta.

before people tell me to not do it, at the moment my air is my second computer and will be fine to be on yosemite until it's officially released.

ramyeon

Installing this on my primary machine now... I may come to regret this. But if worse comes to worse then I have a time machine backup anyway.

I know it's anecdotal, but I wanted to report that my HP printer/scanner is working fine with the Yosemite beta. Usually OS betas don't agree well with printer/scanner drivers made for previous OSs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How stable is the OSX beta?

So far my usage has been smooth and stable.

Overall impressions:
- The type, icons, and visual changes all look excellent (2012 MBA)--it's amazing how different Chrome looks, in a good way.
- The new notification center is pretty neat
- The new Spotlight is excellent and will probably replace LaunchPad for me.
- All the new icons are excellent, except Mission Control, which is hideous.
- It's a little too bright. I mean, I use GAF in light mode, I'm not one of those EVERYTHING SHOULD BE DARK kind of people, but a few things are a little too bright.
- There's a "Find my Mac" now? How does it work? Router geolocation stuff?
- But there aren't really any new features that I can see in general; Photos isn't ready, I still have iTunes 11.3 (Edit: Update available in App Store!), I'm not running iOS8 so all that stuff doesn't work... etc. I mean, it's free and I'm not going to be one of those guys sitting around and complaining, but I view it as pretty incremental and mostly visual.

LCfiner

all the big “features”, imo, are in iOS integration. handoff and taking calls/SMS over the Mac.

Oh, and iCloud Drive. Neither of those are ready yet. (enabling iCloud drive will delete cloud docs on iOS 7 devices now)

The features outside of that are definitely minor. the spotlight improvements. more useful NC. safari speed improvements and search enhancements.

re safari improvements. part of it is faster javascript performance. a small part of it is also just sped up animations for tabs (part of the whole snappy thing) the rest, I dunno.

It's partly that iOS 8 integration is a big part of the new feature set, but also so is all of the third-party plugin/extension stuff (for Notification Center and for elsewhere). None of that stuff will really show up until post-launch.

ramyeon

Yep, Safari is busted for me. Can't open any pages without it just freezing up. Meanwhile iTunes 12 has been stuck with a little bit left on the installation bar for the past 20 minutes. Kinda regretting jumping on this, all the comments about great stability swayed me too much.

Vashetti

Banned
Yep, Safari is busted for me. Can't open any pages without it just freezing up. Meanwhile iTunes 12 has been stuck with a little bit left on the installation bar for the past 20 minutes. Kinda regretting jumping on this, all the comments about great stability swayed me too much.

I had that same issue with iTunes. It's updated.

Try opening it and it'll ask you to agree to the TOCs. I had to restart my mac to get the icon to change from blue to red.

Kinda wondering what features are going to be coming to OS X 10.11.

Major stuff that's in iOS but not OS X and has at least been reportedly *tested* in OS X is, at this point, basically Control Center and Siri and not a whole lot else.

ramyeon

I had that same issue with iTunes. It's updated.

Try opening it and it'll ask you to agree to the TOCs. I had to restart my mac to get the icon to change from blue to red.
Hmm I tried to open it but the icon just bounces a couple of times and then closes right away. Trying to restart now and I've just been given a black screen with my cursor on it for the past few minutes. Not looking good.

jts

...hate me...
- There's a "Find my Mac" now? How does it work? Router geolocation stuff?
IDK if it's more prominent now but It's there since iCloud IIRC. And yeah that's how it works, basically.

Regardless, it's a little bit useless since Macs don't sleep in the same way as iOS devices do. I wonder if that's any different in powernap enabled Macs.

leng jai

How exactly do I get the beta? I got the email and code today can't figure out how to download it. I ran the 200kb key and ran that too.

ramyeon

So Safari is kind of working now. But while restarting gave me the new iTunes icon, it won't open. Says iTunes is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled. How on Earth can I do this? I can't install the older version since it says I already have a newer one, and I can't reinstall the newer one because there's no .dmg file for it.

Yeah how the fuck did they let that mission control icon through. Shit is disgusting.

Also I noticed that they ask if you want to enable FileVault. Does anyone actually use it?

Negaiido

I'm a bit disappointed that they (probably) decided to remove Dark Mode. Sure you can still change the dock and your menu bar to take a black skin but it's not the same.

I expected them to make it possible to have a dark skin with every window. But with the latest change in DP4/PB I think they scrapped the idea and leave it just as it is.

To the people that are doubting whether to install it or not. It is what it is and it really is a Beta. If you feel like you can help and want to help improve the final version then go for it.

Using a late '13 MBPr here and I'm actually surprised at just how stable everything is, not a single crash thus far and the majority of the older third-party apps I've launched all run.
I was fearing the worst I guess...

Can anybody get Reminders to display in Notification Centre. No matter what I try I can't get it to display.

EDIT: Oh never mind, seems only having a scheduled Reminder will show the widget. So why don't the rest (especially Calendar) work that way when they're 'empty'...?

Is it just on your user account, or even doing it on multiple / guest users?

If it's just on your own user account, I recommend backing up / renaming the entire ~/Library/Safari/ folder and see if that fixes it for you. Safari breaking upon upgrading the OS is a not-terribly-uncommon thing I helped Apple customers fix when I was a Senior Advisor for AppleCare.

jstripes

Banned
I'm a bit disappointed that they (probably) decided to remove Dark Mode. Sure you can still change the dock and your menu bar to take a black skin but it's not the same.

I expected them to make it possible to have a dark skin with every window. But with the latest change in DP4/PB I think they scrapped the idea and leave it just as it is.

To the people that are doubting whether to install it or not. It is what it is and it really is a Beta. If you feel like you can help and want to help improve the final version then go for it.

Could be it's just not ready yet, and what they had they didn't wanna label "Dark Mode" in the public beta.

Will sort out the Yosemite beta next week for my MBP, its a shame (and annoying) they don't offer iOS8 beta for those who have the OSX one though, you'd think that was a reasonable thing to do although I don't know how useful it would actually be on my old 4s.

ramyeon

Is it just on your user account, or even doing it on multiple / guest users?

If it's just on your own user account, I recommend backing up / renaming the entire ~/Library/Safari/ folder and see if that fixes it for you. Safari breaking upon upgrading the OS is a not-terribly-uncommon thing I helped Apple customers fix when I was a Senior Advisor for AppleCare.
Will give this a shot if it continues, seems to be working alright now.

iTunes continues to give me issues however... After removing the corrupted 12 app I tried reinstalling 11 but it hung on the final step ("Registering Installed Components") and wouldn't complete. I force quit it and iTunes opens anyway, but the update for 12 won't show in the App Store anymore. What a chore this is.

GWX

Will give this a shot if it continues, seems to be working alright now.

iTunes continues to give me issues however... After removing the corrupted 12 app I tried reinstalling 11 but it hung on the final step ("Registering Installed Components") and wouldn't complete. I force quit it and iTunes opens anyway, but the update for 12 won't show in the App Store anymore. What a chore this is.

"sudo softwareupdate -i -a" no dice?

ramyeon

"sudo softwareupdate -i -a" no dice?
That seems to be doing something! It said "Downloaded iTunes" and now "Installing iTunes". Fingers crossed, there's no progress bar or anything so it's a bit hard to tell if it's actually doing anything.

Edit: Done, seems to have worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!

GWX

That seems to be doing something! It said "Downloaded iTunes" and now "Installing iTunes". Fingers crossed, there's no progress bar or anything so it's a bit hard to tell if it's actually doing anything.

Edit: Done, seems to have worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!

You're welcome! I had to do that myself to go from DP1 to DP2, actually.

ramyeon

iTunes 12 definitely looks better. Some things are more clumsy though... Such as switching to mini player. The button for it seems to be gone so you have to click the album art and then close the main player.

Also I sort album view by Artist and then Year but when you switch to, for example, Artist view and then back it can't seem to retain those sort settings like it could before. Means you have to choose the sorting options every time.

Edit: Also kinda funny, the weather widget in NC has my location right but it's telling me that we're having a Tornado right now lol.

Edit 2: After the initial issues I had things seem to be running better now. Safari doesn't seem faster to me, it feels a little bit more bloated, but I am running a Macbook Pro that is going on 4 years old now.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Will sort out the Yosemite beta next week for my MBP, its a shame (and annoying) they don't offer iOS8 beta for those who have the OSX one though, you'd think that was a reasonable thing to do although I don't know how useful it would actually be on my old 4s.

sounds like ios8 is still pretty rough though? ios 7 was really bad right up until RC hopefully they let us test ios 8 once it becomes more acceptable as a daily driver

giga

They've really polished up the system apps from what it was in DP1. Color me impressed, since I haven't been following the releases much.

Top Bottom