• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just a PSA: CarbonCopyCloner currently does not work on Yosemite at all. If you rely on that as your sole backup, keep that in mind and make sure you have a secondary system.

I'm temporarily switching to a portable HDD with Time Machine until CCC is updated. (I'd just use a network TM but every single time I've tried to set one up, it fails constantly. Have they fixed this yet? I'll just use a local external drive for now.)

Just a PSA: CarbonCopyCloner currently does not work on Yosemite at all. If you rely on that as your sole backup, keep that in mind and make sure you have a secondary system.

I'm temporarily switching to a portable HDD with Time Machine until CCC is updated. (I'd just use a network TM but every single time I've tried to set one up, it fails constantly. Have they fixed this yet? I'll just use a local external drive for now.)

This is one of those things that work for some and not others. I've always used TM to back up to my network Synology drive, and have had it fail maybe 1 time in 3 years. Other people have it fail every time. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is one of those things that work for some and not others. I've always used TM to back up to my network Synology drive, and have had it fail maybe 1 time in 3 years. Other people have it fail every time. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
Does the local caching and backing up work fine though? Because CrashPlan's frontend app also doesn't work (It didn't work in the Mavericks DP's either) and probably won't until close to release, however the backend backup part works fine. (So it's backing up. I just can't access it from this machine.) As long as Time Machine works on local directly connected drives I'll be fine until CCC is updated.

I am performing the TM backup right now to the external HDD I was using as a portable clone. (I have a normal networked CCC backup clone of my most recent Mavericks backup in case I need it.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think the thing that makes me most happy is that they finally fixed resizing Finder windows to their contents, and made it so if you double-click the titlebar, it acts like the zoom. It only took 14 years to match OS 9's superiority. The Finder is still not on the same level but it's a lot better now that that's fixed. And it better stay fixed gosh darnit!

Edit: A slight bug though. The OS thinks my external display is still connected even if I disconnect it. Which is preventing the GPU from switching back to integrated. Gonna file my first bug report! Edit: Maybe not. The Feedback Assistant is broken. Completely broken.

RedAssedApe

Banned
is there still no way to sort bookmarks in Safari? haven't used it in such a long time. but chrome and firefox have been annoying me as of late

Oh my that sucked. My initial download must have been bugged, as I kept on getting unpacking errors. My MBA's main volume ended up not being bootable, and I tried doing the restore partition, but that was completely useless. Would download, and restart back into the restore partition. Ended up downloading 10.10 like 4 times when all was said and done.

Had to download yosemite onto my iMac, do the trick to make a usb installer, and use that to install Yosemite. Oh well. At least thats all over with.

is there still no way to sort bookmarks in Safari? haven't used it in such a long time. but chrome and firefox have been annoying me as of late

What? I don't understand the question. You can manage bookmarks in the bar, or put them in folders and edit position. What else would sorting involve? This has always been doable.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Activity Monitor finally shows Safari tab processes as the website they are instead of just "Safari Web Content" requiring a mouse-hover to figure out the owner.

ibwD336vJasXIm.png

leng jai

Really liking iTunes 12. Hope Windows gets it soon for my HTPC. Snappier, better looking and, more streamlined. Still no dark view though it seems?

hEist

really slow on my mac mini late 2009.
after i've got since dp1 on my mba, i thought it would run like mavericks on my mac mini. But it seems, it doesn't.

Sickbean

Downloaded and installed it this morning, only took about 20 minutes all together.

Loving the new look so far, plus everything seems super stable. It probably helps that I've got a late 2013 MBPr that's only 1 week old, so it's practically a new install, and I'm only running big, well supported Apps (Lightroom, photoshop, Logic). I'm therefore probably not the most useful beta tester.

Love the new spotlight search, although it seems a bit slower than the old one. I'd prefer if 'show all in finder' was the second from top still rather than at the bottom too.

Getting all your bookmarks when clicking the safari address bar is pretty useful, but how do I get to them with the keyboard rather than mouse? I use cmd + L to highlight the address bar, so would be good to be able to just press the down arrow to get to them or something.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Getting all your bookmarks when clicking the safari address bar is pretty useful, but how do I get to them with the keyboard rather than mouse? I use cmd + L to highlight the address bar, so would be good to be able to just press the down arrow to get to them or something.
They already pop up when I press Command + L.

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean. You can't navigate them. WTF? That's a silly oversight.

LCfiner

really slow on my mac mini late 2009.
after i've got since dp1 on my mba, i thought it would run like mavericks on my mac mini. But it seems, it doesn't.

I wonder if the translucency is slowing things down? can you try disabling it (in accessibility preference pane) and see if things speed up to Mav levels?

glaurung

Did not get my email. Just went to that /redemption site, got a key, downloaded in 10m, installed in 20.

I like it so far. Something that struck me as odd were the new icons in Preferences panel. They seem real different from the overall Yosemite aesthetic. Like the new dock, like the new flatness. Window control buttons look a lot better now.

And the new notifications bar is excellent.

Will try it out a lot more over the weekend. Mid-2012 retina 15" MBP IIRC.

When you're looking at bookmarks through the Safari bar, you also can't navigate back from a folder once you click into one.

Has anybody got Spotlight Suggestions working? I'm in England and they're not coming up at all...

KtSlime

When you're looking at bookmarks through the Safari bar, you also can't navigate back from a folder once you click into one.

Has anybody got Spotlight Suggestions working? I'm in England and they're not coming up at all...
I believe at the moment they are US only. They don't work here in Japan either.

Fowler

Did not get my email. Just went to that /redemption site, got a key, downloaded in 10m, installed in 20.

I'm happy for you and all, but... damnit, I have seriously tried like 40+ times and it keeps dying halfway through. Whyyyyyy

(Sorry, had to vent.)

Negaiido

Could be it's just not ready yet, and what they had they didn't wanna label "Dark Mode" in the public beta.

Well they changed "Dark Mode" into "Use dark skin of menu bar and dock" in the fourth DP. I highly doubt they are going to change that back in newer DPs.
I really would like them to but I'm afraid they won't, I guess time will tell.

Edit: A slight bug though. The OS thinks my external display is still connected even if I disconnect it. Which is preventing the GPU from switching back to integrated. Gonna file my first bug report! Edit: Maybe not. The Feedback Assistant is broken. Completely broken.

The Feedback Assistant is broken and unstable but you can still file a bug report. Sometimes you just have to force quit the program.

I believe at the moment they are US only. They don't work here in Japan either.

Shame but I figured as much.

*still waits for iTunes Radio*

I'm loving the Spotlight changes though.
It's one of my favourite things about using Macs and being able to navigate through documents within it more easily now is very cool

EDIT: Oh, haven't seen it mention but how much better is the iCloud document selector now!? Very pleased about that!

hEist

I wonder if the translucency is slowing things down? can you try disabling it (in accessibility preference pane) and see if things speed up to Mav levels?

tried it. performance improved a bit. Still, thought it would run like mavericks. MacMini got a SSD and 8GB Ram. Hoping they will work on it with translucency on.

Initial thoughts:
  • Looks great; I like the new font everywhere (I know, very superficial).
  • I'm not a fan of how Spotlight opens; I wonder if that can be reverted
  • Notification center is much more useful.
  • I'm glad most of my apps work (Photoshop CC 2014, Hype, etc.)
  • Dark menu bar looks good, but a lot of the third-party icons don't support it yet
  • Battery bar seems unnecessarily big

Why haven't I got the public beta email? I applied immediately after the keynote!

It's not necessary. Just head to the Yosemite beta page and grab your App Store key.

Deku Tree

Yup. Safari in Yosemite seems to use significant energy even when it is not doing anything special at least according to the battery drop down menu. Hope they can optimize it for launch.

pronk420

what does enable quick website search in the safari settings do? all i could find about this is for iOS 8. i seem to have wikipedia there but nothing else

Futureman

what does enable quick website search in the safari settings do? all i could find about this is for iOS 8. i seem to have wikipedia there but nothing else

I dunno, but maybe it's like Chrome where you can type "youtu..." and then just hit TAB and it turns the address bar into a YouTube search?

pronk420

I dunno, but maybe it's like Chrome where you can type "youtu..." and then just hit TAB and it turns the address bar into a YouTube search?

oh wow it seems to have collected a bunch of sites while i was browsing, my list has grown to include steam, a random blog, a monster hunter wiki and twitter

now when i type e.g. 'steam sunless sea' into the address bar the top suggestion is to search steam for sunless sea.

unfortunately now if i type 'wiki batman' it offers to search the monster hunter wiki instead of wikipedia

You know how in Mavericks when you have an app active (let's say Preview) but no file open, the app would automatically close itself once you'd switched apps or returned to Finder...?

This doesn't happen in Yosemite.
Is it something that's been purposely left out (or not yet added) or is it a setting somewhere?

Top Bottom