• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

ramyeon

I keep getting pop ups on boot up telling me to install Java Runtime Environment, despite already having followed the link and installing Java 8. Anyone else getting this?

I'm looking for a way to sort my bookmarks alphabetically without having to manually arrange them around myself every time I add a new bookmark. Can't find where to do this. Every Google search I do says I need to install a third party extension or do something dumb like moving then into a folder in Finder and them copying them back.

Maybe I'm just being dumb and I'm missing something super obvious...

Huh. Never even considered doing that, not aware of it being in Safari no. Guess you're right.

LCfiner

Guys... Where's the repeat button in iTunes 12? *reporting a bug*

it should be in the top central area of the window, where playback info is shown. on the left hand side, just to the right of the mini artwork. there’s repeat and shuffle icons.

GWX

it should be in the top central area of the window, where playback info is shown. on the left hand side, just to the right of the mini artwork. there’s repeat and shuffle icons.

It only appears for me after activating in under Controls -> Repeat. It I turn off repeat again and restart iTunes, the repeat button goes missing again. I could replicate it many times, so I reported as a bug to Apple.

I read a post recently, I can't remember where, that pointed out that what we see with Mavericks has come from the refinement and polish of the visual style through lots of OS releases over many years. It noted that Yosemite and it's design quirks and inconsistencies are really similar to the OS releases when Apple moved away the "brushed metal" style.

I don't think you'll see the same level of coherence and polish we have with Mavericks until 10.12/10.13 and beyond.

I think we'll be happy enough by 10.12, but otherwise, I really do expect the same thing. 10.11 or 10.12 might have some "Oh thank god that's better"'s.

Though 10.10 is still far away.

Futureman

Everything feels snappier to me compared to Mavericks. Using 4-finger swipe up and doing Expose and switching between spaces feels faster and fluid.

Having a weird issue where sometimes if I only have one window open it won't let me hide it.

I like all the visual changes pretty much. Using dark mode w/ blue color theme.

Quick

Banned
Got Yosemite installed. Everything's running okay so far.

Dark Mode is pretty cool. But most of my third party menubar icons don't have white icons to contrast it.

What really bugs me in Safari. cmd+t opens a new tab, but the address bar isn't highlighted, so I have to use the mouse in order to write into the address bar.

Maximus.

I was trying to update to the latest version of Java and a message popped up saying I need OS X 10.7.3 or later. Guess it thinks 10.10 is 10.1 which is obviously understandable. Interesting issue none the less.

ckohler

Does anyone know if iMovie '11 (version 9.0.9) still works in Yosemite? I don't like the latest iMovie 2013 or whatever version it's called now.

giga

I was trying to update to the latest version of Java and a message popped up saying I need OS X 10.7.3 or later. Guess it thinks 10.10 is 10.1 which is obviously understandable. Interesting issue none the less.
Java can't do proper software versioning. I am surprised.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Really tempted to go Yosemite - anyone know if the following office essentials work?

Adobe Creative Cloud apps e.g. photoshop
Office 365 apps e.g. Outlook
Dropbox

Deku Tree

Really tempted to go Yosemite - anyone know if the following office essentials work?

Dropbox

Dropbox works for me.
People on MacRumors Forums say Skype doesn't work for most people (but it does work for some). (I use FaceTime.)

Others: I don't know.

EmiPrime

Dropbox

Skype works (video and voice). Office 2011 works (don't know about 365). Dropbox works.

Sullichin

Runs well for me. I like the transparency stuff and the new font face. Only weirdness was one moment where my fans revved up to max for a second for what appeared to be no reason. To answer a previous question I posted, BetterTouchTool works fine.

Does anyone use that album view in iTunes? I can't stand it. I only use the song list.

Deku Tree

I just logged into a new wifi network in our vacation rental on my MBA running Yosemite. Then I picked up my iPad and logged into xfinity free wifi. And my iPad automatically learned the houses wifi password. Mavericks never did that for me between OSX and iOS and I tried. Cool.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The colors of the folders. My god in heaven, who designed this?

Please tell me I can change them back to a regular blue instead of this eye-blasting neon blue.

Halo 2

Banned
Only issue I've run into so far (Yosemite) is that my browser crashes when i try to upload multiple photos to imgur at once.

Terrell

So is it safe to say that Handoff has not been included in this version of the public beta? I'd like to try out using SMS on my Mac, and have the iOS 8 beta.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The colors of the folders. My god in heaven, who designed this?

Please tell me I can change them back to a regular blue instead of this eye-blasting neon blue.
If it still works, look up CandyBar. It was discontinued but open sourced so it might still be updated by a third party now. Just remember there are folders that don't exist yet. Otherwise you could figure out what framework the icons reside in and use an icon editor to make new replacements and change them using the Finder.

leng jai

This is basically the beta discussion thread. Does anyone else find the translucency in Safari distracting when you're scrolling through dark colours? Other than that it's glorious.

Sullichin

I really hate that Safari doesn't show the full URL until you click on the address bar. I also dislike the favicon grid search interface for the address bar. Am I missing some options here? Other than that, new Safari is really nice.

Edit: nevermind the second one, I just had to uncheck "Show Favorites" under Search in Safari prefs.

The maps app is so much faster than Google Maps, but it doesn't have subway information, so it's useless for me.

Trying out the new Spotlight instead of Alfred for a change. Notification Center is an improvement. The new system font is great.

Two minor things always keep me from using Safari. At first I'm really impressed at how fast it is. It's just simply better. But..
1: It doesn't save my zoom settings per site, so if I wanted a bigger font for Neogaf, it'd make other webpages look really bad.
2: When I reload a thread, it's 50/50 if it actually reloads where I was reading instead of just scrolling to the top again.

I'd definitely use it if they fixed those two things, but it looks like they haven't.

Futureman

NeoGAF is like the only website I go to and it won't show up in Safari's "Frequently Visited" thing when I click in the address bar! Facebook is in there. I go to NeoGaf from a bookmark but I've also tried typing it in a bunch of times.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Interesting...

So I can upgrade my Mavericks safely now? Is the beta more stable than the Dev Preview two months ago?
It has bugs. It's stable, but it does have bugs. And some software is incompatible.

Still no tab stacking................
I don't even want stacking. I just want icons in the tabs. Both in Safari and Finder. You don't realize how much they matter until they're gone.

Same with Favicons in the Bookmarks sidebar list. I mean really? They're in the menu. Weren't they in the Bookmarks sidebar before? Or is that a GLIMS thing?

I hope GLIMS is updated for 8.0. I miss those small features.

ramyeon

Been having loads of issues with YouTube after installing Yosemite. Not sure if it's coincidental or it's because of Safari. Videos crashing, not playing after the ads finish etc.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Been having loads of issues with YouTube after installing Yosemite. Not sure if it's coincidental or it's because of Safari. Videos crashing, not playing after the ads finish etc.
No problems here. I do use YouTube Center though. I don't know if that helps. All it does for me is make 99% of the videos use HTML5 instead of Flash.

ramyeon

No problems here. I do use YouTube Center though. I don't know if that helps. All it does for me is make 99% of the videos use HTML5 instead of Flash.
Oh has that been updated for Safari? I was using 2.1.0 until it pretty much just broke on me a few months back and videos wouldn't play with it turned on.

Edit: Ha, looks like it is working again now. Fantastic, using YouTube without YouTube Centre was painful.

Terrell

So it's all installed, and apparently I'm running a compatible Mac (mid-2011 mini), but the Handoff feature is missing from General in System Preferences. When I search for Handoff in SysPref, it tells me to go to General, and then the option to activate it is totally missing.

Can someone confirm to me whether or not others are able to use Handoff in the public beta before I submit feedback?

Top Bottom