• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

ramyeon

Just tried out the Dark Menu and Dock setting for the first time. Looks terrible. The dock actually looks alright, but the menu looked really off to me, especially the icons in the top right.

Futureman

So it's all installed, and apparently I'm running a compatible Mac (mid-2011 mini), but the Handoff feature is missing from General in System Preferences. When I search for Handoff in SysPref, it tells me to go to General, and then the option to activate it is totally missing.

Can someone confirm to me whether or not others are able to use Handoff in the public beta before I submit feedback?

it's the 2nd to last option in System Settings -> General right above "Use LCD font smoothing..."

I don't have iOS 8 though so I can't try it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why does Apple keep screwing with the options available in Messages? I don't want a distinct sound for new messages coming in if I'm not in the application (and I can't set it to the regular "bloop" sound). I do not want white text and the button to change it doesn't actually do anything. Of course, you can no longer have it set so that new messages pop up in their own windows instead of consolidated. Oh well.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just tried out the Dark Menu and Dock setting for the first time. Looks terrible. The dock actually looks alright, but the menu looked really off to me, especially the icons in the top right.
If you have any third party apps that put stuff up there, you have to wait for them to update to support it. Right now my menubar looks like crap in Dark Mode because most of my apps up there don't know it exists. Plus it's super buggy. Some menus have their text color hard-coded to be black instead of using the system color so a lot of them will have invisible text. And some menus dim the colored icons for some reason. Best to let Apple figure out what they actually want to do with Dark Mode before committing to it.

So it's all installed, and apparently I'm running a compatible Mac (mid-2011 mini), but the Handoff feature is missing from General in System Preferences. When I search for Handoff in SysPref, it tells me to go to General, and then the option to activate it is totally missing.

Can someone confirm to me whether or not others are able to use Handoff in the public beta before I submit feedback?
The Handoff option is there for me. It's under Recent Items in General. I'm on a 2013 rMBP.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can anyone test to see if picking the "Disable for an Hour" option in Flux works in Yosemite? It's not working for me. I have to quit Flux to disable it.

I just logged into a new wifi network in our vacation rental on my MBA running Yosemite. Then I picked up my iPad and logged into xfinity free wifi. And my iPad automatically learned the houses wifi password. Mavericks never did that for me between OSX and iOS and I tried. Cool.

thats sweet indeed. bout time really if you think about it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
not really specific to yosemite. but wtf is the finder icon a face :)
ipsnKDV6xOZNF.png

I am thinking of downgrading back to Mavericks, I did a time machine back up just before I installed Yosemite, so what would be the best way to downgrade?

I just logged into a new wifi network in our vacation rental on my MBA running Yosemite. Then I picked up my iPad and logged into xfinity free wifi. And my iPad automatically learned the houses wifi password. Mavericks never did that for me between OSX and iOS and I tried. Cool.

It does that now if you have iCloud Keychain enabled and you give it enough time to sync that up before trying another device.

not really specific to yosemite. but wtf is the finder icon a face :)

Tradition.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Still not working. I have to quit the entire app for it to disable.

Submitted a feedback report about this (my 4th of the beta; 2 feedback reports about weird visual screwups in system preferences, and one feature request asking them to support 7z and RAR files natively so I don't need to install The Unarchiver or another 3rd party utility to do something the OS should clearly do on its own).

So any truth to what people are saying about much better OpenGL performance?

(Though just using drivers from the last year would easily improve performance in the double digits...)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So, upgrading beta -> final should not be a problem, correct?
Correct. Apple has stated that the Beta will update directly to the final in the same way you perform the installs now. You can take whatever route you prefer. The PB shouldn't break anything terribly, but just be aware of bugs and quirks that might arise. I've had a lot of bugginess so far, but nothing experience destroying. I hope what they say about less updates is wrong because if anything they should be updating the PB just as much as the DPs. (Are the PB and DPs different? Are the DPs slightly ahead or something? Is it like Chrome's Dev vs. Beta channels?)

I still plan on doing my traditional reformat > install > migrate routine when the final comes out if it gives me the choice. (The PB did not. It jumped directly from the "Preparing" to reboot to install without stopping to let me use Disk Utility. So it did an upgrade in place. When Yosemite final comes out you might need to still use the downloadable installer to do a fresh install instead of using software update if you want to do that route.)

ramyeon

Submitted a feedback report about this (my 4th of the beta; 2 feedback reports about weird visual screwups in system preferences, and one feature request asking them to support 7z and RAR files natively so I don't need to install The Unarchiver or another 3rd party utility to do something the OS should clearly do on its own).
Isn't the issue with Flux is something the app makers will have to update themselves? I don't think there's much Apple can or will do about it. The guys behind Flux would be beta testing too and will push an update before the public release to fix any compatibility issues.

Majine

Banned
You can tell they designed Yosemite specifically for retina displays. All the thin fonts and lineart look jagged as fuck on my monitor.

Deku Tree

Is there any way to slightly darken the whole look of Yosemite? I like if a lot but everything just feels slightly too light color wise. And I don't want dark mode.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Isn't the issue with Flux is something the app makers will have to update themselves? I don't think there's much Apple can or will do about it. The guys behind Flux would be beta testing too and will push an update before the public release to fix any compatibility issues.

That's not guaranteed at all, and the Feedback application asks for feedback about issues with 3rd party applications (I also submitted a Microsoft Remote Desktop bug). When you make an OS, you don't just arbitrarily break things, it's important to get feedback about what APIs people are using to do things and ensure that you don't arbitrarily prevent them from doing so unless it's in service of some more valuable outcome.

ramyeon

That's not guaranteed at all, and the Feedback application asks for feedback about issues with 3rd party applications (I also submitted a Microsoft Remote Desktop bug). When you make an OS, you don't just arbitrarily break things, it's important to get feedback about what APIs people are using to do things and ensure that you don't arbitrarily prevent them from doing so unless it's in service of some more valuable outcome.
Ah okay, my bad! Although I think an update for Flux covering any Yosemite bug issues is highly likely (Pretty much a given really). The developers have even been asking for issues people are running into on Twitter.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hopefully they'll concentrate on making sure it looks good on non-Retina machines since that's what a majority of their users have right now. My dad has a 2010 MBP and I have a Mac mini connected to a normal HDTV that will need to look good when it comes out. (Since I don't see myself getting a 4K TV just to use HiDPI 1080p mode for a while yet.)

Fuchsdh

I'd say it looks tolerable on a non-retina. I submitted a bug report on the kerning though because it's just too tight if you don't want certain letter combos to appear to be colliding (and it happens at huge point sizes too, which is more egregious if less seen.)

TheQuake

Banned
Can anyone tell me if my mid 2009 Macbook Pro will be able to take regular calls and reply to regular texts? I hear that continuity won't work or something because of the Bluetooth version.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'll just point out some of the weird bugs I hope get fixed soon:

Clicking the New Tab button or otherwise creating a new tab has a delay of almost a second and a half. Really really annoying. Super annoying.

The Weather Widget takes forever to update and 90% of the time when I open the sidebar it's full of Sunrise/Sunset/Sunrise/Sunset instead of the weather itself.

Along the same note, I hate that the Widget sidebar doesn't keep itself awake. If you let it alone for a while, it has to wake up when you want to see the information there. Dashboard did/does the same thing. These things are supposed to keep you updated, but they're always sleeping on the job. Whether you're on battery or AC. Doesn't matter.

SpotlightNetHelper is always (Not Responding). Mavericks had problems with some processes perpetually not responding too. Anyways, I have noticed this causes me to never get suggestions from the internet in my Spotlight search.

Also, not a bug, but I do wish they could speed up the Fullscreen transition animation. Especially for iTunes, which has its own buggier and slower transition and has since Lion. I'm a Fullscreen junkie snob. I love it. If an app doesn't have Lion Fullscreen mode, I may not even use it at all. So it'd be nice if they could speed that shit up.

Another not a bug, but I do wish that fullscreen app spaces changed their wallpaper according to your settings instead of freezing on the current paper when a window is made fullscreen. It just looks silly. So if I have my wallpaper set to change every 15 minutes at random, keep that going. Change the paper behind those apps too. Just to keep it fresh. I do like how going into Mission Control shows you which wallpaper is currently behind each FS app window.

And lastly, not a bug but a feature that I think would be neat. I'd love to be able to go into Mission Control and put windows into and take windows out of Fullscreen by dragging them up to the dark area or dragging them back out onto the desktop space.

ramyeon

I'm excited to install this but I only have my main MBA... I think I'm holding off for now.
It's pretty stable for day to day use at the moment. If you use your MBA for work or something I'd hold off but otherwise you shouldn't run into too many issues.

Haven't had any crashes or anything myself.

ReAxion

It's pretty stable for day to day use at the moment. If you use your MBA for work or something I'd hold off but otherwise you shouldn't run into too many issues.

Haven't had any crashes or anything myself.

Hmm.... okay! I'm gonna backup first to be safe.

ckohler

Does anyone know if iMovie '11 (version 9.0.9) still works in Yosemite? I don't like the latest iMovie 2013 or whatever version it's called now.
Reposting. Can someone please test this? I want to try the beta but I can't unless this app works. Thanks.

I'm excited to install this but I only have my main MBA... I think I'm holding off for now.

It's very stable, though of course the practicality of such a move depends on just what you'll be using it for. I haven't had cause to use my retina MBP for anything of great importance, and I've enjoyed Yosemite increasingly since the first beta.

In response to those who've commented on how it looks at lower resolutions, it's fantastic on a retina screen, though I can imagine it will take a hit on other displays. I tested iOS 7 on an iPhone 5 and first gen iPad mini, and it just didn't look right on the latter.

Skunkers

anyone? D=

I have a Windows 8.0 Boot Camp partition on my machine. I hadn't heard anything about it not working, and earlier today I booted into Windows to transfer some files and back to Yosemite again without any problems. I only use BootChamp for switching though, so I have no idea if that reFind will cause issues.

hirokazu

That really depends. If the app is using public APIs that Apple broke during the DPs and betas, then it's up them to ensure it's fixed and continue to function as expected. That's the whole point of public APIs.

If the app used undocumented APIs or other means to function, then Apple may or may not fix it, it's really up to their discretion but the onus is more on the app developer to fix it.

Still, there's no way for the user to know for sure how the app is doing what it's doing, so it probably doesn't hurt to file a bug report.

hirokazu

I'd say it looks tolerable on a non-retina. I submitted a bug report on the kerning though because it's just too tight if you don't want certain letter combos to appear to be colliding (and it happens at huge point sizes too, which is more egregious if less seen.)
The kerning on the final setup screens was completely effed on DP1. I don't know if they fixed that since I haven't seen those screens when updating to the later previews.

Can anyone tell me if my mid 2009 Macbook Pro will be able to take regular calls and reply to regular texts? I hear that continuity won't work or something because of the Bluetooth version.
SMS/MMS relay uses iCloud and phone call relay uses Wi-Fi exclusively so you'll be good for those features.

Handoff and the new AirDrop requires BTLE and a compatible Wi-Fi chipset, those two you'll miss out on.

Ninja Dom

Hi y'all. I just installed the 10.10 Beta and have a very basic question. iMessage is a VERY important app for me, it's my number one message app across my iPhone, iPad and Mac.

Now in iMessage on Yosemite Beta is a microphone symbol next to the typing box, on the right of the smiley symbol. What does it do? Pressing it gets rid of the typing box and nothing happens.

jts

...hate me...
Hi y'all. I just installed the 10.10 Beta and have a very basic question. iMessage is a VERY important app for me, it's my number one message app across my iPhone, iPad and Mac.

Now in iMessage on Yosemite Beta is a microphone symbol next to the typing box, on the right of the smiley symbol. What does it do? Pressing it gets rid of the typing box and nothing happens.
It should be for voice messages. Probably just acting out in this version... or just works if the recipient uses a compatible version of iMessage? Who knows.

Top Bottom