• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Number45

Been having the most irritating trackpad problem on my MBA (late 2012 model). Everything's fine, then it'll start to act as if I'm constantly in click mode (what should move the cursor selects text/drags things all over the place). Sometimes it happens for a few seconds and other times, like last night, it happens for prolonged periods.

Pissed me off so much that I decided to ask Apple about it. After going through a couple of things (SMC/cache reset) that made no difference, they tried to convince me that the problem was moisture on my fingers causing interference (I'm super anal about how I treat my electronics, so this isn't possible).

I wiped the trackpad over anyway and I also tried their suggestion of using the trackpad with a piece of paper for a while and there are still issues.

This is in this thread and not the hardware thread because I thought I'd take the opportunity to do a fresh build (because why not, you never know what might be causing the problem) so I did a fresh USB install of 10.10. First time Mac beta tester. ^_^

Problem is still happening. If I make an appointment to take it in (it's under Apple Care) will I have a problem with it being on Yosemite even I make it completely clear that the problem occurred under Mavericks as well? This is all assuming I can recreate the problem in the first place of course.

Blackhead

Redarse
Problem is still happening. If I make an appointment to take it in (it's under Apple Care) will I have a problem with it being on Yosemite even I make it completely clear that the problem occurred under Mavericks as well? This is all assuming I can recreate the problem in the first place of course.

Yes

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It certainly didn't for me. It asked me on first boot up, I said no and it never activated iCloud Drive. When I click on the iCloud Drive folder it just shows an explanation of what it is and asks if I want to activate it.
It never asked for me. I was even reading every screen. The install was super fast and had so few dialogs and not one of them had a checkbox to upgrade iCloud.

Though now that it is upgraded, it does have all the folders for all the apps in it. But the problem is, once again OS X is treating it like a non-folder. I can't put it in my Dock. And it's not in my Home directory. It's another one of those "fake" folders. Something the Finder is creating from all the data at hand and displaying to you. If you view it in List view, it doesn't show triangles to expand the folders, and they all lose their icons and show up as plain folders. The only folder in the iCloud Drive that's actually a folder is the "Recovered documents" folder that for me has a bunch of "saved state" data files with no explanation of what application they belonged to. Three of them are plain text with a simple short one line piece of XML that says <gameOver>1</gameOver> so obviously it's from a game. The folder acts as if it's the top of the directory tree, which I guess makes sense given the metaphor, but still.

However, you can place all the individual folders in the iCloud folder in your Dock. Even the ones that don't act like folders in the Finder. So I guess that's something. But no way to put just the root iCloud folder there.

This isn't how I wanted it to be at all. I want it to be DropBox. Plain and simple and exact rip-off. I understand it being a fake folder, but if it's going to be able to contain any file we want, they're going to need to let us put it places like the Dock and not just the sidebar. Non-iCloud applications still need to be able to access this folder like it's a normal folder. So put it in our Home directory or something. Hopefully they add some options for letting us place other folders inside the iCloud and sync them without actually moving them. Else I'm gonna have to just use DropBox with my piddly little space. (Unless DB feels pressured enough to offer similar pricing plans)

Shame because I was looking forward to signing up for iTunes Match and one of them 20GB plans this fall. Or even the 100GB and putting my entire home folder contents (sans certain folders that don't need to be backed up to the cloud like my Steam folder and my Parallels folder) in it. I have a lot of various text files and image files I've gathered over the past decade and a half among other media like videos. I would have liked to put that all on the cloud.

We'll see come fall what Apple's plan for iCloud Drive is. Hopefully they start their photocopiers and clone DropBox as close as they can. Even if it just makes DropBox step up their game on pricing plans.

EmiPrime

Yeah I see nothing so far to pry me away from Google Drive and Google's ecosystem as a whole.

Also I keep thinking I have deleted or lost iTunes somehow for about 5 seconds until I remember the icon is now red. It'll take a while to get used to.

Yeah, I'll probably use iCloud space exclusively for syncing iPhone photos and that's it. I'd rather stick with more platform agnostic options for documents that are actually important anyways.

Ninja Dom

How the hell does AirDrop work between your Mac (Yosemite Public Beta) and your iOS 7 device??

I can't figure it out, iPad 4th Gen & iPhone 5S. Mac is an iMac 27" Late 2009.

hirokazu

iOS iworks is currently unusable for me, it no longer downloads files from the old icloud. Luckily everything is accessible on yosemite, so I too will tread carefully.
You need the beta versions of the iWork apps from the developer portal to access iCloud Drive.

I have a 2011 Mac. Do I miss out too?
Mid-2011 MBA and Mac minis have the necessary hardware. Everything other product line is 2012 onwards, except for Mac Pro, which requires Late 2013.

Safari in general is plain old slow for me. Other internet apps as well. Seems like the networking is being worked on.

I haven't noticed the slow (but I'll be on the look out for it now) but I do notice the locks and freezes especially when loading a page.

I also can't turn on sharing documents and data with iCloud right now, as it doesn't show up in the options...

Also safari uses significant energy when having two tabs open.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I do like how opening a picture in a new tab centers the picture.
I kinda wish it would center vertically too. But I like that too.

Safari is fast for me, except for that one problem with the Top Sites view taking forever to load the thumbnails. (Though they are thumbnails from Mavericks and the way it's done is completely different now so I might try erasing my Safari cache and see if it has a delay once all the thumbs are recreated.) It literally takes a second and a half to load the Top Sites view. Whether I'm opening a new tab, or switching over to Top Sites from the Favorites view. Favorites view of course is instant. I might just switch to it and reconfigure my frontend listed Bookmarks since Safari shows the same view on all my devices now. Just completely forget about Top Sites since I'd just turned it into a fancier looking Bookmarks list.

ramyeon

I haven't noticed the slow (but I'll be on the look out for it now) but I do notice the locks and freezes especially when loading a page.

I also can't turn on sharing documents and data with iCloud right now, as it doesn't show up in the options...

Also safari uses significant energy when having two tabs open.
Yeah, I have frequent lock ups when I have more than 3 tabs open. Especially sites like YouTube that seem to be more of a drain on resources.

I also keep getting that bug where the tab locks up sometimes when you swipe to go back. Been getting it since Mavericks and it is annoying as. You need to close the tab to fix it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Deleting the Safari cache seems to have sped up the New Tab Page loading quite a bit when set to Top Sites, but it still has a dead zone where typing anything won't be recognized for that entire loading time. While setting it to Favorites is still instant. So I guess I'm leaving Top Sites behind. Good. I hated how it made thumbnails anyway. I mean, some sites don't look good for a few seconds and just look wrong in thumbnails, and other sites that have login front pages like Twitter and FaceBook just look completely stupid. At least the Favorites view has colorful icons and favicons for most sites that are easy to recognize in an instant.

I've had a couple of Safari quirks too, nothing major though fortunately.
My Top Sites thumbnails don't refresh and the Frequently Visited section doesn't update either, so both have had the same info for days now.

Mindwipe

We'll see come fall what Apple's plan for iCloud Drive is. Hopefully they start their photocopiers and clone DropBox as close as they can. Even if it just makes DropBox step up their game on pricing plans.

Yup. Not sure what would be worse at this point - that possibly eight weeks before shipping iCloud Drive is an unfinished mess, or if they're actually going to ship something like this that indicates they fundamentally don't get it and why Dropbox fucking destroyed iCloud.

Phoenix

Yup. Not sure what would be worse at this point - that possibly eight weeks before shipping iCloud Drive is an unfinished mess, or if they're actually going to ship something like this that indicates they fundamentally don't get it and why Dropbox fucking destroyed iCloud.

Or... it could be that in addition to having a shitty vision they are working around the various service patents in place by the various providers and keep creating a mess.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
how do I change it so I don't get a password prompt every time my screen times out?
It's in User settings I believe. You can set it to any time or turn it off. I have mine set to 5 minutes. You know, just in case I ever have it stolen. I know if it disable it completely, I will indeed lose it. Just being safe.

Enzom21

how do I change it so I don't get a password prompt every time my screen times out?
ibxdKuihKw7i3E.png

Futureman

I don't have an option for disable that password like that... is it because I only have one user on this computer and it's the admin??

I have the Automatic Login option under Login Options in User & Groups.
It's an inactive option though and despite making any number of changes within that menu I'm still unable to set it...

Majine

Banned
Are you labeled as "Admin" in the "Users and groups" section in settings? (May be called differently, my OSX is not in eng.)

Just remembered I have File Vault turned on, which is probably the reason automatic login is disabled from my machine. It's at login that the encryption de-crypts (if that's even a word!)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So where do we install this again? I'm in the beta program but never got an email.

Am I crazy to do it on my 2012 Air that's my main PC? (Main as in I browse the web at night sometimes).

Deku Tree

So where do we install this again? I'm in the beta program but never got an email.

Am I crazy to do it on my 2012 Air that's my main PC? (Main as in I browse the web at night sometimes).

If your willing to risk bugs then sure install it. If the computer has essential data that you need for your job then no don't install it.

The main new features seem to have to do with syncing up with iOS8 so many of us can't use them yet. Otherwise Yosemite is kind of like a buggy new coat of paint right now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

If your willing to risk bugs then sure install it. If the computer has essential data that you need for your job then no don't install it.

The main new features seem to have to do with syncing up with iOS8 so many of us can't use them yet. Otherwise Yosemite is kind of like a buggy new coat of paint right now.

I have singed up for the beta, right when it was announced.

Someone had a link here a while back to download I think.

EDIT: Found the site, I just had to log in! :p

Sickbean

Slightly OT, but Apple really can be incredible with their customer service.

Bought a new MBPr 15" a couple of weeks ago. Heard about the upgraded version, called them up on Wednesday, and had the laptop swapped out and the difference refunded by yesterday. Great stuff.

User migration worked flawlessly too, even though I had to re-install the Yosemite Beta before it would work. Very impressed.

Hopefully this isn't too OT, but this thread seemed most appropriate, and this question definitely doesn't warrant its own thread.

I got a $200 Best Buy gift certificate from work for 5 year anniversary. I decided I want to put it towards an iPad. Originally I was thinking an iPad mini w/retina, but they're still full price at BB and I assume revisions will be announced sometime around the end of October/beginning of November, and I just can't bring myself to pay full price for the current model because of that. But for today and tomorrow, the iPad Air is $100 off at BB. So I'm curious what other peoples opinions are on buying an on sale iPad Air now, or waiting for the presumptive iPad mini revision in 3ish months.

My Reasons for wanting an iPad (mini)

Will primarily be used as a comic book reader. Also some basic browsing and I'll probably toy with a couple games here and there.

I like how easy it is to hold the mini (not that the full size is much of a chore). It seems easier to type with thumbs too. And that pixel density will be kind to small text

Lower starting price is also an initial appeal of the mini.

Getting an iPad as opposed to android device because I already have a nice android phone, so a tablet of the same OS seemed redundant, as there are considerably more new experiences for me on an iPad than android tablet.

The mini also appeals to me because I know I'll inevitably get some kind of windows/intel tablet device that I can use for a digital sketch pad, and that will inevitably be in the 10"+ size. For some reason I feel like if my "first tablet" is a different form factor that it won't feel as redundant when I get my "drawing tablet". Of course, that purchase will probably be a year or two off, as those are expensive, and I'm still not totally satisfied with any of the options I've seen.

Hopefully this isn't too OT, but this thread seemed most appropriate, and this question definitely doesn't warrant its own thread.

I got a $200 Best Buy gift certificate from work for 5 year anniversary. I decided I want to put it towards an iPad. Originally I was thinking an iPad mini w/retina, but they're still full price at BB and I assume revisions will be announced sometime around the end of October/beginning of November, and I just can't bring myself to pay full price for the current model because of that. But for today and tomorrow, the iPad Air is $100 off at BB. So I'm curious what other peoples opinions are on buying an on sale iPad Air now, or waiting for the presumptive iPad mini revision in 3ish months.

Will primarily be used as a comic book reader. Also some basic browsing and I'll probably toy with a couple games here and there.

I like how easy it is to hold the mini (not that the full size is much of a chore). It seems easier to type with thumbs too. And that pixel density will be kind to small text

Getting an iPad as opposed to android device because I already have a nice android phone, so a tablet of the same OS seemed redundant, as there are considerably more new experiences for me on an iPad than android tablet.

The mini also appeals to me because I know I'll inevitably get some kind of windows/intel tablet device that I can use for a digital sketch pad, and that will inevitably be in the 10"+ size. For some reason I feel like if my "first tablet" is a different form factor that it won't feel as redundant when I get my "drawing tablet". Of course, that purchase will probably be a year or two off, as those are expensive, and I'm still not totally satisfied with any of the options I've seen.
If the betas are any indication, iOS is going to get side by side app multitasking in 8.0 and I would be wary of how well the 2013 iPad air supports this feature with its barely adequate amount of ram. You're 3 months away, unless you absolutely need one this week I'd wait, the next one should be a good upgrade.

Vyer

The $100 off makes it tough, but you're pretty close to having new iPad Airs and Minis to choose from. And it really sounds like you want a mini. I love my Air, but understand the form factor preferences.

The only other option would be to buy now, and then sell when the new ones are about to be released. You'd have to work out the money, but considering how good the iPad resale value would be it might be a decent option.

Zapages

I am thinking of buying a mac mini for my parents… How are they with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (non Apple).

Also how do I install GD:Graph on OSX Mountain Lion?

*looks up iPad air specs* oh wow, just 1 gig of RAM? Yeah, if they're adding multitasking in the next OS update it's hard to imagine it not chugging under such circumstances. Thanks for the response, it was helpful.

SuperPac

If the betas are any indication, iOS is going to get side by side app multitasking in 8.0 and I would be wary of how well the 2013 iPad air supports this feature with its barely adequate amount of ram. You're 3 months away, unless you absolutely need one this week I'd wait, the next one should be a good upgrade.

The betas have side by side app multitasking? Or do you mean the dynamic screen resizing stuff? I'm not positive that the existence of that means side by side app multitasking is really going to come to pass. *shrug*

LCfiner

yeah, I’m also not convinced that side by side multitasking is coming to the iPad. Not saying they’re not working on it, but there’s not enough signs in the beta (or rumours that hit before WWDC) that it’s an upcoming feature for new models.

On the other hand, when considering whether to buy a new ipad or wait, with Touch ID becoming an API for apps and extensions (see 1password stuff above) it might make it worthwhile to get an ipad with a touch ID sensor as it’ll be more useful.

I can't really think of a non-shitty way to implement side-by-side multitasking into the current iOS UI, especially given that lots of apps now use swipes-from-the-sides for crucial gestures like "go back." That requires a hard border that isn't another app.

Top Bottom