• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Deku Tree

I still don't see why Multi-tasking is something people want in iOS. You can already easily swipe between Apps. It is not clear to me why you would want to look at two Apps at exactly the same time on an iPhone or an iPad.

LCfiner

I still don't see why Multi-tasking is something people want in iOS. You can already easily swipe between Apps. It is not clear to me why you would want to look at two Apps at exactly the same time on an iPhone or an iPad.

On iPhone, I definitely don’t see why. On iPad, I can understand why. video player on one side, browser/twitter, etc on other side (or 70/30 split). the basic examples shown to highlight the snap stuff in windows 8 Metro. A word document in one window and reference info in a browser or some other text file on the side.

Screen is big enough to handle it.

but, making the ability get in and out of that mode and still control stuff in the apps perfectly, is a tough challenge. those “start off screen” gestures badcrumble mentioned are a problem for apple if they were to add a mode like this.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, while I'd love to see it come, I can't imagine how they'd keep it usable and working seamlessly with the gestures that already exist. RE: Multitasking double screen in iOS.

Sorry guys, haven't been following tech quite as much this summer and assumed there was more to the macrumors articles from a few months ago.

I figure the bulk of the work lays in interface scaling that has to be completed for the (rumored) different resolutions for larger iPhones, so maybe there's a chance it'll show up in the fall?

I can't really think of a non-shitty way to implement side-by-side multitasking into the current iOS UI, especially given that lots of apps now use swipes-from-the-sides for crucial gestures like "go back." That requires a hard border that isn't another app.
Are there apps that don't have buttons at the top left to go back and solely use that gesture? I'm not sure whether this would be a big deal on a 10 inch iPad where your hand has free roam across the screen.

app extensions should greatly diminish the perceived need to do side by side apps.

Yeah.

I think the side-by-side apps thing is potentially neat, but where it's currently done it's poorly implemented and it feels largely like it's all about doing (poorly) something that laptops do well, rather than focusing on the inherent strengths of the tablet form.
Are there apps that don't have buttons at the top left to go back and solely use that gesture? I'm not sure whether this would be a big deal on a 10 inch iPad where your hand has free roam across the screen.
Yes.

I am thinking of buying a mac mini for my parents… How are they with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (non Apple).

Also how do I install GD:Graph on OSX Mountain Lion?

There's a Mac Hardware thread in OT:Community that is probably a better place to ask. Make sure you get a keyboard with the right modifier keys; a Windows keyboard is annoying and will be confusing since it is marked wrong.

Futureman

whenever I plug in my Time Machine hard drive, the icon stays as the generic yellow "External Drive" icon. In the past, it would change to the blue Time Machine icon.

anyone else see same thing? small but I noticed, not sure if it's intended.

Fuchsdh

whenever I plug in my Time Machine hard drive, the icon stays as the generic yellow "External Drive" icon. In the past, it would change to the blue Time Machine icon.

anyone else see same thing? small but I noticed, not sure if it's intended.

Even on 10.9 (and earlier) when the drive would show the Time Machine icon and when it would look generic never seemed to follow any pattern that I could see on my machines.

Deku Tree

I am currently feeling somewhat underwhelmed with the Yosemite Beta so far.

The redesigned flat interface is cool, but it's just a new coat of paint really.

Apple Mail is buggy and I had to set it to put the latest messages at the bottom otherwise whenever I opened it my cursor always started out at the bottom of my mail que (which is huge).

iCloud Drive is nice but it is not functional across all my devices right now so I can't use it. Not Apples fault. I'm sure it will be fantastic once iOS 8 and Yosemite are finally finished.

I can't use any of the connectivity between Mac and iOS because I am not using the iOS 8 beta. No phone calls on my Mac or iPad. No SMS messages on other devices. No Handoff. I suppose it is nice that I get to send early feedback to Apple. Hopefully the public beta allows Yosemite to be less buggy upon its release than Mavericks was...

So mostly for me Yosemite is currently a buggy new coat of paint really. Not sure if it was worth the early install really.

LCfiner

FYI, for the Mail bug which drops you down to the bottom of your list of messages.

I have that too but it’s only for the “ALL Mail” inbox, assuming if you have multiple addresses. If you go to a specific mailbox, the cursor stays put. Might come in handy until Apple fixes the bug (hopefully in time for next beta)

I’ve had to submit several bug reports for things like this and other little bugs are the OS. And I totally agree that the biggest features Apple touted will all need iOS 8 to hit.

Although, I have not minded the Safari improvements (speed, search) and Spotlight improvements (currency conversion, wikipedia integration, etc)

If my home Mac were a work machine, I would not have installed it. But it’s more a browsing and messing with photos machine so I think it’s acceptable for a first beta.

jts

...hate me...
Yosemite external display support has been all over the place for me. Random uncontrollable overscan, doesn't memorize window size, stuck audio output device, etc.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yosemite external display support has been all over the place for me. Random uncontrollable overscan, doesn't memorize window size, stuck audio output device, etc.
The only external display problem I've had is it not killing the "External Display" process when I disconnect it. So the computer perpetually thinks a second display is connected and keeps all the windows on it, but I can't get to them, until I reboot. I'd manually kill the process if it was a process ID I could find.

Hopefully that's an easy to find bug that it's fixed by Beta 2.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm getting a really weird reproducible crash:
- Open Chrome
- Go to a website that allows file uploads (eg your web mail's attachment function)
- Attempt to attach a document from your Dropbox by navigating to your Dropbox folder and then scrolling or trying to go into a subfolder.

The crash happens 100% of the time for me, even if Dropbox is not open. My only solution is to take the files out of the Dropbox folder, put them on my desktop, and then upload them from there.

I wrote up a report for Apple, but I lost wifi connectivity during feedback submission, the Feedback Assistant sort of hung weirdly, and I had to force-quit. When I relaunched, the app didn't have the draft I wrote. I briefly considered writing a feedback report about feedback assistant, but I think I've wasted enough time :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
One change I hate about Yosemite is how dragging and dropping onto an Open File dialog works now. It's bullshit.

Before it would open the dialog to the folder the file was contained in and select the file to make it easy to navigate to that location without having to browse.

Now it actually moves or copies the file! Why? This isn't the Finder! It's a file browser. I really hope this is a bug and oversight and not how they intend it to work. Because if it is, it's completely wrong.

KtSlime

One change I hate about Yosemite is how dragging and dropping onto an Open File dialog works now. It's bullshit.

Before it would open the dialog to the folder the file was contained in and select the file to make it easy to navigate to that location without having to browse.

Now it actually moves or copies the file! Why? This isn't the Finder! It's a file browser. I really hope this is a bug and oversight and not how they intend it to work. Because if it is, it's completely wrong.
I believe this is a known bug that crops up with every release of OS X. Iirc Maveriks DPs had the same issue.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The fonts on my system went all blurry twice today but corrected after a restart.

Weird.

Now up to 6 bug reports!

edit: Re: the multitasking thing, being able to answer a push notification will eliminate 90% of all issues for me. The other is that Apple still won't let you background indefinitely apps outside of a select category, which is bizarre. There are no IRC clients that can stay connected in the background. It's so annoying. Having one up "on the side" indefinitely just to stay connected is something I would use as a workaround.

Guess Who

Banned
There are no IRC clients that can stay connected in the background. It's so annoying. Having one up "on the side" indefinitely just to stay connected is something I would use as a workaround.

I had to set up a ZNC server for this exact purpose.

I think there's some money to be made in an iOS IRC app that offers its own ZNC-like service so that users don't have to set one up themselves.

When are we expecting the next iOS 8 beta?

at a guess, today, along with another Yosemite DP.

9to5mac says this will be the final beta before the GM:

Apple is nearing completion of iOS 8.0’s development, and it plans to release a fifth and likely final beta to developers for testing on Monday, August 4th, according to the sources. Apple will finish up work on this beta 5 early next week, the sources said, and a golden master version of iOS 8 will be completed either in late-August or early September in order to provide ample time for both carrier testing and the installation of the iOS onto iPhone 6s in production.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/23/apple...-event-as-ios-8-nears-completion/#more-333321

Lkr

I hope it's cool to post in here since the iPad mini thread doesn't have much activity.

Can anyone recommend a keyboard? I was looking at that Logitech keyboard case and it's only $37 at amazon but my concern would be that the keys would scratch the case when I close it. No one has mentioned anything like this in a review, but I hope you can see why this is a concern of mine.

Deku Tree

I hope it's cool to post in here since the iPad mini thread doesn't have much activity.

Can anyone recommend a keyboard? I was looking at that Logitech keyboard case and it's only $37 at amazon but my concern would be that the keys would scratch the case when I close it. No one has mentioned anything like this in a review, but I hope you can see why this is a concern of mine.

If it's not in the reviews, then it probably doesn't scratch the screen.

Mindwipe

My wife has the full sized one and no such issues.

The only problem is that, in practice, it's not actually much of a case, so you'll still need something to carry the device about in. And you'll need to get a bigger sleeve to compensate. But it's a good keyboard, and with enough backstand to actually use on your lap, which was a huge step forward for her from her previous solution (iPad 3 with a full size Apple BT keyboard and an Incase Origami stand).

Lkr

My wife has the full sized one and no such issues.

The only problem is that, in practice, it's not actually much of a case, so you'll still need something to carry the device about in. And you'll need to get a bigger sleeve to compensate. But it's a good keyboard, and with enough backstand to actually use on your lap, which was a huge step forward for her from her previous solution (iPad 3 with a full size Apple BT keyboard and an Incase Origami stand).
I'm not sure if I'll be using it much in my lap. I just need something I can use for notes in class. I would be carrying it in my backpack so I'm not sure if I would need more of a case or anything

Mindwipe

I'm not sure if I'll be using it much in my lap. I just need something I can use for notes in class. I would be carrying it in my backpack so I'm not sure if I would need more of a case or anything

I think the back of your iPad would still be quite liable to scratches, it's not a wraparound case.

But I do think it's good for the money, and you can get a dirt cheap neoprene sleeve around.

As I say, no screen scratching issues on the wife's.

HUELEN10

Aw yeah...
HbRX21N.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, supposedly the Public Betas will be less frequent. I almost wish I'd stayed on the DP channel, but whatever.

I am curious about the build numbers though. Which one is more recent. The current Public Beta is 14A299l. (That's an L at the end) What is the DP 5 on? Is it more recent?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So the PB1 is a slightly tweaked DP4. I wonder if PB2 will be DP5 or DP6. Who knows what kind of delay they're planning on having for the PBs.

LCfiner

saw this on macrumors

rcM8JUP.png

added the back arrow for the address bar bookmarks. that was something we commented on a few pages back.

Top Bottom