• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Majine

Banned
^ Great. I do love the new Bookmarks for Safari. Instead of a boring list, you see them sort of in relation to each other. Makes it easier for my brain to process.

new Apple TV beta brings updated GUI:

screen-shot-2014-08-04-at-11-08-08-am.png

SuperPac

Wow that UI still looks like shit and so half assed for a company like Apple.

At this point any new UI on the existing models of Apple TV is putting lipstick on a pig. The problem isn't necessarily the surface UI here, but the interfaces of each app and the power of the device itself.

I have an ATV2 and Netflix and Hulu frequently crash or boot me out to the main UI. HBO Go looks fine but lacks a lot of common options. There's a lot that this device needs to get right. IMO if they put one out with a better processor and open up app development we'll start seeing people use it in interesting ways.

Part of that starts with having a device-wide cable login so each app doesn't have you do all that activation stuff separately on first boot.

mf.luder

At this point any new UI on the existing models of Apple TV is putting lipstick on a pig. The problem isn't necessarily the surface UI here, but the interfaces of each app and the power of the device itself.
\

I really like the lipstick on a pig comment here. The current state of Apple TV needs an overhaul. Would it not make sense to have it controlled via your paired iOS device?

Biggest pet peeve is searching for a title on Netflix or the iTunes store and I have to hit each character one by one. When I hit search on the ATV and my device is paired, pull up a keyboard and type away.

I really, really love the fact that my SMS and iMessages are both now transferring to the computer, allows for such great *continuity*.

ckohler

I've asked a couple of times but nobody has answered:

Can anyone tell me if iMovie '11 works in the Yosemite beta? I want to try the beta but I need iMovie '11 and I don't like the newer versions.

SuperPac

I really like the lipstick on a pig comment here. The current state of Apple TV needs an overhaul. Would it not make sense to have it controlled via your paired iOS device?

Biggest pet peeve is searching for a title on Netflix or the iTunes store and I have to hit each character one by one. When I hit search on the ATV and my device is paired, pull up a keyboard and type away.

I really, really love the fact that my SMS and iMessages are both now transferring to the computer, allows for such great *continuity*.

I agree. For any text entry I generally already have my iOS device and the Remote.app at the ready - just cut out the steps and have it auto-launch a keyboard if I'm within proximity of the device. Or let me TouchID my passwords or talk to Siri for searches, etc. I expect/hope the next model Apple TV does a lot of this stuff using Beacons and continuity.

When I was setting up my Apple TV with the beta a robot lady voice gave me instructions for setting up voice commands. That's new right?

"Tap the button in the lower right of your remote to enable voice commands."

I don't see anything else about it in settings or anywhere.

EDIT: I was wrong. It's accessibility stuff. Thought she said "voice commands", but she said "Voice over"

Deku Tree

FaceTime Audio? Or is this something new that also goes over WiFi?

No, not FaceTime Audio, but WiFi Calling:

tmobilewifi.jpg

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/04/ios-8-beta-5-tidbits/

Buried in Apple's two-hour keynote today was the exciting fact that iOS 8 will save you cell plan minutes with Wi-Fi calling — but that feature will likely depend on carriers to allow it. T-Mobile was quick to announce it will be the first US provider to support Wi-Fi calling...

http://www.theverge.com/mobile/2014...-first-carrier-to-support-ios-8-wi-fi-calling

WiFi Calling can give you much better reception than over Data... and it doesn't use Data either... it can help a lot if you are in a location with bad cell phone coverage but good WiFi... even if you are in a place with good data coverage WiFi calling can give you much better phone reception...

... as far as I can tell other carriers have not announced support for the feature so far... that's why I was asking...

pronk420

has anyone had problems with their superdrive after updating? mine is acting really odd all of a sudden (sometimes reads discs fine, other times goes mad reading the same disc).

jts

...hate me...
Why nobody told me that you can start typing away on the address bar and then just press the common modifiers (cmd, cmd-shift etc) before hitting return to open in a new tab or window :D

Much better than opening a new tab and then typing. Especially for us that have that bug where Safari doesn't highlight the address bar in a new tab.

Deku Tree

iCloud tells me that GoodReader is using 300MB of data (was using that much in the past). But my good reader iCloud folder is empty. And the hidden good reader folder on my Mac is empty. And the delete data button on Mavericks always tells me that it failed to delete my GoodReader data.

Any tips on how to "delete" this phantom "data"?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was trying to delete attachments from messages (10.10) but that functionality appears not to work yet. You can click details to get a full list of attachments from your conversation, and you can right click an attachment and click delete, but it doesn't delete reliably. I've got it to work a few times, but not every time.

RoKKeR

I have a quick Apple/Mac question and wasn't sure to put it so I'll throw it in here...

Got a 13" MBPr today and I'm loving it. One weird quirk I've found so far though is that, for some reason, YouTube videos only give me the option to go up to 720p? I've tried the same videos on my old Macbook and there are options above 720 for certain videos but they don't show up on the new laptop.

Any ideas as to why this is? YouTube thinks the laptop resolution isn't what it is?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have a quick Apple/Mac question and wasn't sure to put it so I'll throw it in here...

Got a 13" MBPr today and I'm loving it. One weird quirk I've found so far though is that, for some reason, YouTube videos only give me the option to go up to 720p? I've tried the same videos on my old Macbook and there are options above 720 for certain videos but they don't show up on the new laptop.

Any ideas as to why this is? YouTube thinks the laptop resolution isn't what it is?

Are you using the beta? I just checked on my MBPr 13" and 1080p definitely appears as an option. I was using Safari.

cjp

Are you using Flash or HTML5? The HTML5 YouTube player for Safari doesn't have 1080p on many videos, if any at all.

This article provides a better explanation.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You think that's bad, YouTube also only offers 480p in a FLV container. So if you use the Flash player (Like I do) and want to watch a video that's not available in 720, you have to watch in 320p highly compressed because some idiot at YouTube decided to keep 480p only available as Flash Video format. If you hadn't noticed, there's a pretty steep jump from 360p to 720p. (It's half) This also means if you watch on iOS you also only get 320p if the 720p version is having problems.

FFS, YouTube. It's 2014. 480p should be available in H.264.

As for "Media Source Extensions", any chance Apple might try and support them at some point? I don't use YouTube5 anymore, I use YouTube Center. But since Google changes things so often, every YouTube HTML5 extension breaks all the time. I dropped YT5 when it broke and didn't get updated for weeks. Now YTC is showing flakiness. It's like you can't win at all. I wish Google would stop fighting it.

Top Bottom