• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Mindwipe

As for "Media Source Extensions", any chance Apple might try and support them at some point? I don't use YouTube5 anymore, I use YouTube Center. But since Google changes things so often, every YouTube HTML5 extension breaks all the time. I dropped YT5 when it broke and didn't get updated for weeks. Now YTC is showing flakiness. It's like you can't win at all. I wish Google would stop fighting it.

They're in Yosemite's Safari build.

And Youtube isn't likely to stop fighting it, as constantly breaking downloading tools is what they tell rights holders their DRM is, instead of using actual DRM.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Woah I wasn't aware of that, is it possible to change Youtube back from HTML to Flash?
Well, in order to do that, you'd have had to change it to HTML5 in the first place. If you didn't install an extension to do that then you should already be on Flash.

An easy way to find out is simply easy and simple..

Open a YouTube video, anything popular or recent, and right click on it. If you get a normal system menu with an option at the bottom that says "About Flash ..." then you're using Flash. If you get a smaller plain white with black text menu with the option at the bottom saying "About the HTML 5 Player" or something of the like, then it's HTML5.

If you have Flash and are still having that problem, then it's a mystery.

But if you determine you are using HTML5, which is so much better for your machine and less intensive on the CPU and memory and I wouldn't recommend switching away from in a million years because HTML5 is so much more superior, then you can just open Preferences and go to Extensions and disable whichever HTML5 YouTube extension you are using. Command+, will open Preferences quickly if you want.

The loss of 1080p and 480p options for me are nothing compared to the feeling of not having to use Flash for YouTube. Especially on OS X where the video player actually puts itself into a "Lion Fullscreen" space when you go fullscreen as opposed to Flash which covers up your browser and makes you unable to do other things at the same time. It's a godsend when you use two displays too.

They're in Yosemite's Safari build.
Oh. Well would you look at that! 1080p is an option for YouTube Center. I didn't even realize that! I guess I had gotten so used to just watching the content and was so used to Yosemite that I didn't even notice the change or that I had a 1080p option.

Hey, Jo Shishido's Cheeks, there's your solution. When you switch to Yosemite in the fall, install YouTube Center. It gives you HTML5 video but allows you to use any resolution you want. (Except 480p which as I said is completely silly in every aspect.) For now just use Flash or live without 1080p.

And Youtube isn't likely to stop fighting it, as constantly breaking downloading tools is what they tell rights holders their DRM is, instead of using actual DRM.
And I thank them for it. Occasionally I want to download a YT video. Though what you're saying doesn't make sense as the download button rarely breaks. It always works. It's the playing API itself that changes constantly and breaks all the extensions that make YouTube easier to use. Downloading however never stops working because it's a URL to a video file that could only break if they changed the save location. However, other player features that extensions like to add, like disabling autoplay (A feature that every fucking video player SHOULD HAVE GODDAMMIT) occasionally stops working or other small features like resizing the default player, etc, like to occasionally break when YouTube makes API changes.

Fuchsdh

You think that's bad, YouTube also only offers 480p in a FLV container. So if you use the Flash player (Like I do) and want to watch a video that's not available in 720, you have to watch in 320p highly compressed because some idiot at YouTube decided to keep 480p only available as Flash Video format. If you hadn't noticed, there's a pretty steep jump from 360p to 720p. (It's half) This also means if you watch on iOS you also only get 320p if the 720p version is having problems.

FFS, YouTube. It's 2014. 480p should be available in H.264.

As for "Media Source Extensions", any chance Apple might try and support them at some point? I don't use YouTube5 anymore, I use YouTube Center. But since Google changes things so often, every YouTube HTML5 extension breaks all the time. I dropped YT5 when it broke and didn't get updated for weeks. Now YTC is showing flakiness. It's like you can't win at all. I wish Google would stop fighting it.

C'mon son, haven't next-gen rez wars on here taught you anything? It's 4x the resolution.

</pedant>

The other reason Google keeps breaking those extensions is because they generally also contain mechanisms for bypassing YouTube ads.

Does Google calculate ad payouts to creators by views or ad impressions? Because it sucks if I'm gipping people I like because I prefer the superior viewing of the HTML5 player extensions.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The other reason Google keeps breaking those extensions is because they generally also contain mechanisms for bypassing YouTube ads.
Yeah. That's an issue too. Though to be honest. I'd rather sit through ads and have a clean unbroken customizable experience with an HTML5 version of the player than have a shitty Flash player with autoplay and no ability to customize my experience even if it had no ads. Surely this is something that can be solved. The people behind HTML5 video specs need to figure out a way of serving up the video with ads that can't be circumvented in any way. I'll watch ads because I usually watch people I'd like to support.

Though YouTube needs to switch to HTML5 completely on their own and offer an option to disable autoplay so I don't need an extension in the first place. The HTML5 player really is glorious and far superior in many ways to the Flash one.

I tried to go a week with Flash disabled (I had to actually disable plugins completely because Safari doesn't let you just disable plugins separately which meant QuickTime also got disabled and if I deleted the Flash plugin itself, Firefox stopped working and I need Flash in Firefox. So ugh.) and it failed miserably. Some sites still require Flash. Even in this day and age. I couldn't get away from it. So it's nice to keep it disabled on the one video site I use the most.

C'mon son, haven't next-gen rez wars on here taught you anything? It's 4x the resolution.

</pedant>
Oh you! Tee hee!
Oops. Dumb ass mistake. I meant 2x height. 2x width. So yes, 4x. *facepalm*
Does Google calculate ad payouts to creators by views or ad impressions? Because it sucks if I'm gipping people I like because I prefer the superior viewing of the HTML5 player extensions.
They now calculate it based on retention. How long people watch the video for instead of clicks.

Fuchsdh

Yeah. That's an issue too. Though to be honest. I'd rather sit through ads and have a clean unbroken customizable experience with an HTML5 version of the player than have a shitty Flash player with autoplay and no ability to customize my experience even if it had no ads. Surely this is something that can be solved. The people behind HTML5 video specs need to figure out a way of serving up the video with ads that can't be circumvented in any way. I'll watch ads because I usually watch people I'd like to support.

Though YouTube needs to switch to HTML5 completely on their own and offer an option to disable autoplay so I don't need an extension in the first place. The HTML5 player really is glorious and far superior in many ways to the Flash one.

I tried to go a week with Flash disabled (I had to actually disable plugins completely because Safari doesn't let you just disable plugins separately which meant QuickTime also got disabled and if I deleted the Flash plugin itself, Firefox stopped working and I need Flash in Firefox. So ugh.) and it failed miserably. Some sites still require Flash. Even in this day and age. I couldn't get away from it. So it's nice to keep it disabled on the one video site I use the most.

Oh you! Tee hee!
Oops. Dumb ass mistake. I meant 2x height. 2x width. So yes, 4x. *facepalm*

They now calculate it based on retention. How long people watch the video for instead of clicks.
Hmm. Still doesn't tell me. Might just open up videos by people I want to support in a Forefox tab or something, seeing as I run a HTML5 extension plus ad-tracking extensions in Safari.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Fucking Safari is killing me.

It's mauling images left and right, leaving these monstrosities every two pages or so.
Other browsers have no issues and there's no graphical glitches anywhere. Just Safari.

Zooming the image in and out again usually fixes it, but it can just as likely flip back into fucked-up-mode again. It's making me want to switch to Chrome, which I don't want because Chrome is garbage.

Anyone else?

(examples I get when browsing imgur)

screenshot2014-08-11a4rsxz.png

screenshot2014-08-11a7pswt.png

screenshot2014-08-11a1es14.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have absolutely no problems with Safari on Yosemite (Public Beta 1) aside from some occasional bugs. I haven't seen that image problem before. What kind of machine do you have? Are you on the PB or the DP?

Deku Tree

It's mauling images left and right, leaving these monstrosities every two pages or so.
Other browsers have no issues and there's no graphical glitches anywhere. Just Safari.

Zooming the image in and out again usually fixes it, but it can just as likely flip back into fucked-up-mode again. It's making me want to switch to Chrome, which I don't want because Chrome is garbage.

Anyone else?

screenshot2014-08-11a4rsxz.png

screenshot2014-08-11a7pswt.png

screenshot2014-08-11a1es14.png

That happened to me once. I reported it to Apple. Yosemite is a beta, they'll fix it.

Ambitious

The loss of 1080p and 480p options for me are nothing compared to the feeling of not having to use Flash for YouTube. Especially on OS X where the video player actually puts itself into a "Lion Fullscreen" space when you go fullscreen as opposed to Flash which covers up your browser and makes you unable to do other things at the same time. It's a godsend when you use two displays too.

The incompatibility with Lion's fullscreen is actually the reason I still prefer Flash.

VoxPop

So I can download the preview through the App Store. Could I possibly do it on a different partition? I really don't want to go through installing all my apps again when I go back to Mavericks.

Well, in order to do that, you'd have had to change it to HTML5 in the first place. If you didn't install an extension to do that then you should already be on Flash.

An easy way to find out is simply easy and simple..

Open a YouTube video, anything popular or recent, and right click on it. If you get a normal system menu with an option at the bottom that says "About Flash ..." then you're using Flash. If you get a smaller plain white with black text menu with the option at the bottom saying "About the HTML 5 Player" or something of the like, then it's HTML5.

If you have Flash and are still having that problem, then it's a mystery.

But if you determine you are using HTML5, which is so much better for your machine and less intensive on the CPU and memory and I wouldn't recommend switching away from in a million years because HTML5 is so much more superior, then you can just open Preferences and go to Extensions and disable whichever HTML5 YouTube extension you are using. Command+, will open Preferences quickly if you want.

Oh. Well would you look at that! 1080p is an option for YouTube Center. I didn't even realize that! I guess I had gotten so used to just watching the content and was so used to Yosemite that I didn't even notice the change or that I had a 1080p option.

Hey, Jo Shishido's Cheeks, there's your solution. When you switch to Yosemite in the fall, install YouTube Center. It gives you HTML5 video but allows you to use any resolution you want. (Except 480p which as I said is completely silly in every aspect.) For now just use Flash or live without 1080p.

Thanks a lot for this, I did as you said and right clicked a video and I did indeed get the "About the HTML 5 Player" dialogue but when selecting a range of front page videos, a video from a few months ago and even one from one year ago I'm able to select 1080p on all of them.
So some of what you've typed has made me curious...
I'm running the Yosemite Beta, and have no Extensions installed for Safari whatsoever.
It seems I opted into HTML directly through YouTube.
It doesn't seem to be an option now though (which is why I was asking if it's possible to switch between HTML and Flash or not). Was it ever an option that could be set through YouTube itself? I can't remember ever doing it but I guess I would've done...
Looking through the options on Youtube I get this btw:

bydefault2014-08-11at101751pm_zpscc66c6c9.jpg

So I'm seemingly unaffected by this 1080p thing (as far as I can tell, which was only using about 8 random videos) and again have no extensions installed whatsoever.
So I'm glad... but I'm just wondering why this isn't an option for everybody?

Quick

Banned
Haven't had a chance to post my impressions of the Yosemite beta, so here's a quick one.

I was previously talking about long boot times when using Mavericks, and I found it to be about the same on Yosemite, maybe a bit faster. It's not a big deal. I like the addition of the progress bar.

Login items (Dropbox, Alfred, BetterTouchTool, BetterSnaptool, PopClip, Battery Health) are taking a bit longer to set up at login than before with Mavericks.

On the plus side, Chrome launches immediately now, rather than having to force quit and relaunch because it liked to take its sweet time. Apps in general seem to launch a bit faster now than before.

The new look is great. I love the new icons. My installed apps icons are looking pretty outdated compared to the new stock icons. I'll switch over the dark mode probably when the apps on my menubar make a dark mode version available.

I don't hate the new iTunes design, but I'd rather have the sidebar. It's the same thing on Windows, too. I can't escape the lack of sidebar.

Anyone else?

I suspect it's an issue with drivers—frame buffer corruption is kind of a fact of life in OS X betas. That said, I haven't had much trouble with it in Yosemite. When I do it tends to be with the discrete card, but most of the day I'm on the integrated GPU (Intel HD 4000 on both of my MB Pros).

As much as I see these issues during beta periods (point releases as well as majors) it always seems to be fine one we hit GM.

corn_fest

Anyone else's computer never going to sleep (or even turning off the screen) as of DP5?
Power settings haven't changed, Caffeine isn't running... haven't come across anyone else with this issue, though.

Jal

Thanks a lot for this, I did as you said and right clicked a video and I did indeed get the "About the HTML 5 Player" dialogue but when selecting a range of front page videos, a video from a few months ago and even one from one year ago I'm able to select 1080p on all of them.
So some of what you've typed has made me curious...
I'm running the Yosemite Beta, and have no Extensions installed for Safari whatsoever.
It seems I opted into HTML directly through YouTube.
It doesn't seem to be an option now though (which is why I was asking if it's possible to switch between HTML and Flash or not). Was it ever an option that could be set through YouTube itself? I can't remember ever doing it but I guess I would've done...
Looking through the options on Youtube I get this btw:

Either it's a bug or Safari 8 forces the use of html5 because i can't change mine either but i can in firefox. I haven't installed any extensions either.

I have a Retina Macbook Pro from 2012, recently received a new SSD and Logic Board, and using a fresh install. So I know it isn't a hardware issue.

With 10.9.4, iTunes has become extremely unresponsive. As if it is constantly trying to make a connection and stalling out. It can take up to 3-6 seconds to go from the Podcasts page to my Library.

This freezes the App every time. When I jump from section to section, or when I click refresh in the podcasts area.

Does anyone know about this issue? I don't have any other problems similar to this, everything is super snappy and responsive.

Deku Tree

seems likely Yosemite will get a DP 6 today.
Some say iOS 8 beta 5 was the last beta before the GM, so we'll see if that drops also.

Wonder if they will drop DP 6 for developers and then wait until sometime like Thursday to drop DP 6 for open beta users (like they did with the first iteration of the open beta)?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah. I want another Public Beta. Makes me wish I'd just stayed on the DP channel. The first PB was I think 1 incremental update over the DP4. Now they're on DP6. Maybe there'll be a new PB this week that will be just over DP6? We don't know what their schedule for the PB is going to be other than "less frequently than the DP".

Looks like a new Image Capture icon, maybe a tweaked Font Book icon

sys pref icons got redesigned. kinda uggo.

BvVm7KUCYAA33gd.png

battery icon got shorten, i liked that long one....

volume/brightness got tweaked again, they look better.

New wallpapers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They shortened the battery back? It always felt so long. Though I was getting used to it.

Gee. I'd love to try it out. Come on, Public Beta 2!!!

mf.luder

I keep floating back and forth between my 10.10 and 10.9 partitions and I find it hard to go back to Mavericks. The little changes (non-UI) are awesome and the UI changes are refreshing.

I don't use Dark Mode on GAF but I'm using it on 10.10 and the new Yosemite 3 wallpaper, which is a little darker, fits perfect.

The final release can't come soon enough.

jts

...hate me...
Woooowww... opening up Netflix on Safari just caused my whole computer to crash and shut down (Yosemite public beta). That was wild.

20 seconds later I was back in business though.

Fuchsdh

I have to say for the most part I really like the light touch they've had streamlining the old icons and paring down the heavy use of detail to make it fit more with the new aesthetic.

Fuchsdh

I'm inclined to agree with Crumble. Apple's put so much into BT and iBeacons I'm not sure what use case NFC has for them at this point. That said there's tons of stacking rumors about NFC, so I dunno.

RoKKeR

I have had an issue pop up on my MBPr today (new model) where the sound just completely cuts out randomly. Unplug headphones and nothing through the speaker, the volume 'blips' don't make any noise...nothing.

Anybody have any ideas what's going on here? On the most recent version of OSX that isn't Mavericks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
will the extensions in ios8 make it possible for an app like Lastpass to auto-fill passwords directly in safari? I don't like using lastpass's built in browser, so I'm copy/pasting which is a pain. Almost tempted to try an android tablet as that should be much more integrated.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes, 1password have already demoed that exact feature. Would be up to last pass to develop it and update their app.

demo of 1password extension feature:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2014/07/30/introducing-the-1password-app-extension-for-ios-8-apps/
The question I have is wouldn't it not work at all in browsers unless the browser maker adds support for it? Like Apple and Google would need to add support for extensions like this? Or will it "just work"? I can't see Apple adding in support for 1Password/LastPass when they have their own competing Keychain feature.

RevoDS

I have had an issue pop up on my MBPr today (new model) where the sound just completely cuts out randomly. Unplug headphones and nothing through the speaker, the volume 'blips' don't make any noise...nothing.

Anybody have any ideas what's going on here? On the most recent version of OSX that isn't Mavericks.
The newest models came with Mavericks installed, so if you downgraded manually it's likely your audio driver that's acting up because of an incompatibility between your model and the version of OS X you're using.

That is, unless you're talking about Yosemite but then it's abeta, so...

Fuchsdh

The question I have is wouldn't it not work at all in browsers unless the browser maker adds support for it? Like Apple and Google would need to add support for extensions like this? Or will it "just work"? I can't see Apple adding in support for 1Password/LastPass when they have their own competing Keychain feature.

I doubt Apple is going to demo extensions and then not enable them for their applications. As for 1Password, I doubt they're concerned; after all iCloud Keychain isn't a moneymaker for them, and for a huge amount of people the built-in Apple tools are always going to be more convenient and thus more used (such as Apple's Podcast application on iOS.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I doubt Apple is going to demo extensions and then not enable them for their applications. As for 1Password, I doubt they're concerned; after all iCloud Keychain isn't a moneymaker for them, and for a huge amount of people the built-in Apple tools are always going to be more convenient and thus more used (such as Apple's Podcast application on iOS.)
I'm skeptical because the 1Password guys only show it being demoed in fake apps they had to whip up in order to show it off. If Safari supported extensions in this way, then they'd have shown it working in Safari. The way he words it implies that the developer will need to explicitly support 1Password. Which means it's going to be a DropBox vs. Google Drive or Pocket vs. Reading List thing again where some apps support one competitor and others support the other and you never have a single standardized set of apps that all support the service you use yourself. (Fucking FaceBook doesn't support Safari's Reading List. Instead they implemented YET ANOTHER "read it later" service for themselves. Whereas Twitter supported Reading List as an option [Not to mention Pocket and Instapaper right off the bat] right out of the gate when it was released.)

I don't believe for a second that it's going to be as simple as Safari suddenly having 1Password support just because the 1Password app is installed. Nope. I'm pretty sure browser makers will still have to implement support for it manually. Same with LastPassword.

And I'm fine with it. As long as I can still exit out of Safari, open 1Password and reveal the password, then jump back into Safari again to type it in, it's okay. I rarely have to log into things anyway since they're usually stored in cookies.

I guess time will tell.

Edit: I stand maybe possibly corrected. According to this forum post on their forums, they say "1Password will be available for iOS Safari". I still remain slightly skeptical but would have liked to see it demonstrated in Safari instead of a fake "ACME Browser" app. Still, I doubt the FaceBook app will implement support for it. Twitter maybe but FaceBook is high and mighty enough to not support it out of spite I'd think. Either way, they're really pushing the fact that it will work in Safari so here's hoping! I do hope they put out a demo video of it soon though. I'd love to see it in action and not just ACME.

My rant above still stands though. Safari is one thing. But other app devs will need to get on board too. So crossing our fingers. I can't wait for iOS8.

I'm skeptical because the 1Password guys only show it being demoed in fake apps they had to whip up in order to show it off. If Safari supported extensions in this way, then they'd have shown it working in Safari. The way he words it implies that the developer will need to explicitly support 1Password. Which means it's going to be a DropBox vs. Google Drive or Pocket vs. Reading List thing again where some apps support one competitor and others support the other and you never have a single standardized set of apps that all support the service you use yourself. (Fucking FaceBook doesn't support Safari's Reading List. Instead they implemented YET ANOTHER "read it later" service for themselves. Whereas Twitter supported Reading List as an option [Not to mention Pocket and Instapaper right off the bat] right out of the gate when it was released.)

I don't believe for a second that it's going to be as simple as Safari suddenly having 1Password support just because the 1Password app is installed. Nope. I'm pretty sure browser makers will still have to implement support for it manually. Same with LastPassword.

And I'm fine with it. As long as I can still exit out of Safari, open 1Password and reveal the password, then jump back into Safari again to type it in, it's okay. I rarely have to log into things anyway since they're usually stored in cookies.

I guess time will tell.

Edit: I stand maybe possibly corrected. According to this forum post on their forums, they say "1Password will be available for iOS Safari". I still remain slightly skeptical but would have liked to see it demonstrated in Safari instead of a fake "ACME Browser" app. Still, I doubt the FaceBook app will implement support for it. Twitter maybe but FaceBook is high and mighty enough to not support it out of spite I'd think. Either way, they're really pushing the fact that it will work in Safari so here's hoping! I do hope they put out a demo video of it soon though. I'd love to see it in action and not just ACME.

My rant above still stands though. Safari is one thing. But other app devs will need to get on board too. So crossing our fingers. I can't wait for iOS8.

I believe that you are right. I can't see Apple letting any app that wants it access to Safari via Extensions. Doesn't mean that support for password managers won't be there, but I'd imagine that it's going to have to be enabled by Apple. I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't allow 3rd party password managers to have access to Safari. While Keychain isn't a money maker for Apple, it is another thing that will make it harder to leave the Apple ecosystem if people use it on a regular basis where as if you use LastPass or 1Password it's easier to go to Android or Windows Phone and take your passwords with you.

Edit: And I guess I stand sort of corrected

Sean

Banned

Some guy did a Vine demo video showing 1Password working in Safari on iOS8. https://vine.co/v/MFXHTa9I7Lq

Top Bottom