• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

bionic77

Mini + monitor would typically cost more than an iMac, especially if you get an IPS panel, but you'll probably use the display years longer than the Mac, so the next Mac (or PC) will be that much cheaper since you don't need a display.
Yeah I know and the other advantage is a lot of monitors accept various inputs so if I got the Mini I could use it to watch tv or play a console on as well.

But if I can get a fast 27" iMac and it still lets me upgrade the RAM that might be too much to pass up.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, as someone who's iPhone gives them the "your icloud is full you cheapskate" every single day I would like that problem to be solved.

All I want is iCloud to be a complete clone of DropBox. That would make me consider buying storage from Apple.

There's stuff that can be done better than DropBox does it, but the mere fact that it has an actual single storage pool whatsoever (and the ability to give each file within it a URL for sharing) is essential and totally missing from iCloud's document storage.

I don't need to be able to see my iDevice backups or have my iTunes Match shit plopped in the middle of an "iCloud folder," though. Fuck that. I don't need nor want just a simple file system.

KtSlime

Yeah, as someone who's iPhone gives them the "your icloud is full you cheapskate" every single day I would like that problem to be solved.

I'd prefer that message, it's got to be better than the "your device is full you cheapskate" message I get on a near daily basis. LOL.

Should have gone for the 64GB. =(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I haven't even used 500MB of mine between my iPhone, iPad and two Macs. That's how useless I find it right now. Let me use it as a cloud folder and I will be happy. DropBox is amazing in this regard, but I'd be happy with an Apple solution if it was the same feel to how it works.

Edit: And yes. No fucking simple storage. Let me use a folder structure. Let me put Symlinks in there as well. And hide any files that we shouldn't be seeing anyway like backups and other data. But let us use the space for any files we want.

I haven't even used 500MB of mine between my iPhone, iPad and two Macs. That's how useless I find it right now. Let me use it as a cloud folder and I will be happy. DropBox is amazing in this regard, but I'd be happy with an Apple solution if it was the same feel to how it works.

Edit: And yes. No fucking simple storage. Let me use a folder structure. Let me put Symlinks in there as well. And hide any files that we shouldn't be seeing anyway like backups and other data. But let us use the space for any files we want.

I suspect that Apple's emphasis on tags and "all my files" in Mavericks is likely to make its way into whatever iCloud/iOS storage system we end up with, specifically in order to keep nested folders out of the picture. And to be honest, that's probably fine if you use smart tagging in place of folder storage. Metadata, correctly titled documents, and file extensions ought to help make it very easy to use.

But yeah, a single iCloud storage pool is likely, and I can't wait. Just no folders.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The harvest is going to be magnificent this year!

Cue: The current TV experience “sucks,” billion-dollar Apple TV business will get bigger this year

Speaking at Code Conference Wednesday night, Apple’s head of online services Eddy Cue took a swipe at the current state of television and presented his take on where the future of that industry lies. According to Cue, Apple TV sales have risen in recent years and over 20 million of the set-top box have been sold to date. Cue says that the device is billion-dollar business now and is expected to continue growing.

However, the Apple TV isn’t a true TV replacement. Cue took a few moments to point out just how much using TV “sucks” and bemoan the current range of DVR devices. He even went so far as to compare current technology with the VCRs of a bygone era—and he’s not wrong. Cue cited drawbacks such as having to remember to set a recording or trying to manage storage on the recorder as reasons on-demand streaming through the Apple TV is growing in popularity.

That’s not to say he’s especially fond of today’s on-demand systems either, though. Not only did Cue have sharp criticisms for modern recording tech, he even jabbed at the streaming experience on the iPad, noting that the process of authenticating with a cable provider to access streaming content is less-than-ideal. So what’s his solution?

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/28/cue-t...-apple-tv-business-will-get-bigger-this-year/

How does that even work? Is it a set time?

Yeah, everything is based around schedules. I go to bed around 22:30, so at 22:00 the living room lights dim a bit and the bedroom lights turn on in a sunset'ish light.

And then reverse in the mornings when I get up.

WWDC just got a lot more interesting.

Don't get too excited, yet:

Unfortunately he doesn’t have one just yet. Cue says the TV landscape is a “complicated issue” due to the lack of universal standards between regions in the United States, let alone globally. Content rights, goverment regulations, the sheer number of companies involved in the production and distribution process, and a host of other issues have prevented the creation of a solid, user-friendly TV platform. For now, Cue says, the Apple TV “will continue to evolve” as the company continues to “improv[e] the experience.”

EmiPrime

I am with those who think that iCloud is largely useless; Apple have been trying the online storage thing for nearly 15 years and they still can't get it right. They don't even have a proper cloud backup for photos.

That said I don't think iCloud will ever be for me as any implementation of theirs will probably only work within their closed eco system of apps, never mind devices.

iCloud has been invaluable for me in terms of backing up my phone and photographs. It syncs with Aperture on OS X, allowing me to store my photos locally on my Macbook whilst deleting the old ones from my iOS devices thus regaining crucial space.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cue: The current TV experience “sucks,” billion-dollar Apple TV business will get bigger this year

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/28/cue-t...-apple-tv-business-will-get-bigger-this-year/

remembering to set a recording? With season passes pretty widely supported on most DVRs, thats a stretch. Likewise managing storage, unless you keep everything there.

catchup TV services suck for quality, and if I want to watch within 30 days of broadcast, why not just record the original broadcast quality for later playback? Netflix etc are nice but irrelevant for recent TV, more for boxset binging etc IMO

in short, I get what he is saying, but streaming isn't a replacement solution - its a decent augmentation

remembering to set a recording? With season passes pretty widely supported on most DVRs, thats a stretch. Likewise managing storage, unless you keep everything there.

catchup TV services suck for quality, and if I want to watch within 30 days of broadcast, why not just record the original broadcast quality for later playback? Netflix etc are nice but irrelevant for recent TV, more for boxset binging etc IMO

in short, I get what he is saying, but streaming isn't a replacement solution - its a decent augmentation

I think his point is more that using a TV or home theater sucks, and the fact that streaming is an augmentation is what needs to be fixed.

Deku Tree

Oh for God's sake, they've been saying this for too long now and I'm tired of it; either put up or shut up.

As Cue said in the article, it's not that easy because of the huge number of exclusive content ecosystems. None of them want Apple to come in and starting taking a 30% cut of everything.

numble

His point is about needing to tell the DVR to record at all. It would be better to just have everything available if you want to watch it on demand.

KtSlime

Can't remember to record a series you don't know about yet.

One week all your friends are talking about a show, and it is already on the 6th episode! You could go to iTunes, but it only has the first two episodes, or you can use your cable providers service, but it only has the last two episodes. You shuffle through 2 or 3 services, and still end up having to find an 'illegal' site to stream it. It would be nice to not have to do that. I think that's what Eddy is saying.

I can't see Apple doing more than 2 events in late summer/fall. Probably be:

September:
- New iPhone(s)
- iOS 8 Review + release date
- iWatch

October:
- New iPads
- OS X 10.10 Review + release date ("today")
- New Mac hardware: MBPs + 12 Retina Air-like
- new iTunes in 10.10 style, maybe iLife + iWork update
- AppleTV

That's a packed schedule, could see Apple TV slipping to early 2015 but Cue seems to suggest somethings coming in 2014.

Vooduu

>_> still don't see Dre in the company directory.. <_<

They forgot about Dre

05d.jpg

mackaveli

The Keynote is 2 hours long right?

That seems like a long keynote just to talk about iOS 8 and OSX 10.10?

How many features will they show for each and highlight? 5 each? That seems like it'll take a hour at most?

How long was last year's keynote?

giga

How many features will they show for each and highlight? 5 each? That seems like it'll take a hour at most?

Yes, and last year's keynote was also 2 hours.

There's lots of sales crap, too, and we already know to expect Home Automation as a new product, at least.

SuperPac

There's lots of sales crap, too, and we already know to expect Home Automation as a new product, at least.

I kind of hope the home automation stuff is something like Carplay - or a hub app to integrate with a variety of smart devices in the home like the Hue, Nest, smart locks or various alarm systems. I find it hard to believe Apple would make home automation products themselves. Or that those products are even attractive to that wide an audience yet (maybe that's the point).

Last year:

00m - 10 m: Usual updates on retail, number of developers, etc.
10 -14: Anki Drive demo
14 - 48: OS X Mavericks demo
48 - 1h: new Air + Mac Pro Sneak Peak
1h - 1h09: iCloud + iWork web demo
1h09 - 1h54: iOS 7 demo including iTunes Radio, App Store, CarPlay
1h54 - 1h58: Wrap up

Expect a similar structure this time with a different demo at the start, more time on OS X and likely less (if any) Mac hardware. Healthbook and smart home stuff will get a good chuck of time.

Top Bottom