• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish the Public Beta 3 would also come out. 2 is extremely buggy in so many places. I'm almost tempted to just switch back to the DP's but I wanted to do this officially for once.

Edit: Hahaha. Dashboard. Amazing it's still around. All its functionality should be replaced by the sidebar. They should just merge the two. Make the sidebar notifications only, but when it's open, blur the screen and show the widget area to the left. But make the widgets more standardized instead of the UI jumble mess they are now.

I wish the Public Beta 3 would also come out. 2 is extremely buggy in so many places. I'm almost tempted to just switch back to the DP's but I wanted to do this officially for once.

Edit: Hahaha. Dashboard. Amazing it's still around. All its functionality should be replaced by the sidebar. They should just merge the two. Make the sidebar notifications only, but when it's open, blur the screen and show the widget area to the left. But make the widgets more standardized instead of the UI jumble mess they are now.

Does anyone actually use the dashboard? The only time I get to see it is, when I accidentally swipe too far.

Ambitious

Does anyone actually use the dashboard? The only time I get to see it is, when I accidentally swipe too far.

Yeah, I've got two weather widgets and Delivery Status Touch.

If accidentally navigating to the Dashboard bothers you, you can enable the classic Dashboard in System Settings in the Mission Control prefpane. It's the first option, "Show Dashboard as a Space", so just deselect that.

Yeah, I've got two weather widgets and Delivery Status Touch.

If accidentally navigating to the Dashboard bothers you, you can enable the classic Dashboard in System Settings in the Mission Control prefpane. It's the first option, "Show Dashboard as a Space", so just deselect that.

It really doesn't bother me. ;)

cjp

Safari really does run incredibly shit on Public Beta 2. I mean, really shit. Nothing but constant hangs and crashes.

I don't know what they did from PB1 but it really messed it up.

Deku Tree

PB2 seems to run OK for me. No big complaints. I also don't have many extensions or add ons or anything like that installed. I do see bugs sometimes, and I report them, but it is a beta so...

Ninja Dom

Yosemite Public Beta 2 users

I'm really having some serious problems. I simply shut down my Mac on Monday as I wasn't gonna use it for 3 days.

I've turned it back on and the Mac is unusable. The Dock doesn't load/appear. My wallpaper disappears and reappears every 10 seconds. I'm plagued with the rainbow coloured pin wheel and any menu takes over a minute to appear on screen.

I've got an iMac 27" Late 2009, 12GB Ram. Shutting down and restarting doesn't fix the problem. I can't use this computer. Any ideas? Yosemite PB2 has been fine on this computer up until now. Is it a problem with the Mac?

Deku Tree

Yosemite Public Beta 2 users

I'm really having some serious problems. I simply shut down my Mac on Monday as I wasn't gonna use it for 3 days.

I've turned it back on and the Mac is unusable. The Dock doesn't load/appear. My wallpaper disappears and reappears every 10 seconds. I'm plagued with the rainbow coloured pin wheel and any menu takes over a minute to appear on screen.

I've got an iMac 27" Late 2009, 12GB Ram. Shutting down and restarting doesn't fix the problem. I can't use this computer. Any ideas? Yosemite PB2 has been fine on this computer up until now. Is it a problem with the Mac?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/1...otable-os-x-10-9-mavericks-usb-install-drive/
Do that on another computer

Try to boot from USB. If that doesn't work either then you probably have a hardware problem.

Ninja Dom

Ah fuck. I hope it isn't a hardware problem cos I don't really have the money at the moment to fix it.

I'm in the process of re-downloading Yosemite Public Beta 2 from the Mac App Store, using the stricken iMac, to make a USB Installer. Still got no dock, it's slow as fuck, and the wallpaper disappears and reappears every minute (icons still stay on screen).

Deku Tree

Ah fuck. I hope it isn't a hardware problem cos I don't really have the money at the moment to fix it.

I'm in the process of re-downloading Yosemite Public Beta 2 from the Mac App Store, using the stricken iMac, to make a USB Installer. Still got no dock, it's slow as fuck, and the wallpaper disappears and reappears every minute (icons still stay on screen).

I would download Mavericks and make a Mavericks USB installer if I were you. That rules out it being a problem with PB2.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm sad. Because irony of ironies, or coincidence, or whatever, Bombich has finally released a version of Carbon Copy Cloner for Yosemite. Up until now CCC has not worked on Yosemite because Apple changed things so much and Bombich needed to wait until they fixed a major bug that prevented it from working. Finally in DP7 they fixed it...

But I'm on the Public Beta... which doesn't work with CCC4. I have to wait for PB3, if it comes out, or switch back to the Developer channel, which would take more work.

Until now I've been relying on a Time Machine, but I don't know if I trust it enough to do a reformat and reinstall of Yosemite to get to the PB7.

So I need to decide if I should take the long route. Install the DP onto another partition. Install CCC onto that partition. And clone my main partition. Then boot back onto the main partition, run the DP installer and reformat the entire drive and update to DP7. Then migrate my clone into it...

Or wait for Public Beta 3... if it ever comes, which if the schedule keeps up, will be in 2 weeks from now. (Probably right before iOS8 releases) Of course there's also the chance PB2 might be the last and we won't get any more official public updates until the final version. And who knows how long that will be.

Guess I could just keep going with a Time Machine that I don't fully trust. But I'd really love to get back to the Dev side. This PB2 is so unforgivingly buggy. It's buggier than any of the DP's I used before I switched to PB. Thankfully they're just annoyance bugs and not data destroying killer showstopper bugs. Would be nice if they put out PB3 today as a surprise bug fix version.

Fuchsdh

I'm sad. Because irony of ironies, or coincidence, or whatever, Bombich has finally released a version of Carbon Copy Cloner for Yosemite. Up until now CCC has not worked on Yosemite because Apple changed things so much and Bombich needed to wait until they fixed a major bug that prevented it from working. Finally in DP7 they fixed it...

But I'm on the Public Beta... which doesn't work with CCC4. I have to wait for PB3, if it comes out, or switch back to the Developer channel, which would take more work.

Until now I've been relying on a Time Machine, but I don't know if I trust it enough to do a reformat and reinstall of Yosemite to get to the PB7.

So I need to decide if I should take the long route. Install the DP onto another partition. Install CCC onto that partition. And clone my main partition. Then boot back onto the main partition, run the DP installer and reformat the entire drive and update to DP7. Then migrate my clone into it...

Or wait for Public Beta 3... if it ever comes, which if the schedule keeps up, will be in 2 weeks from now. (Probably right before iOS8 releases) Of course there's also the chance PB2 might be the last and we won't get any more official public updates until the final version. And who knows how long that will be.

Guess I could just keep going with a Time Machine that I don't fully trust. But I'd really love to get back to the Dev side. This PB2 is so unforgivingly buggy. It's buggier than any of the DP's I used before I switched to PB. Thankfully they're just annoyance bugs and not data destroying killer showstopper bugs. Would be nice if they put out PB3 today as a surprise bug fix version.

I imagine we'd get one more PB if they're releasing late October.

Ninja Dom

I'm currently at work, but when I get home, if I DO manage to fix the problem with my iMac then Yosemite Public Beta 2 will officially be the worst piece of software I would have used on a Mac. I also won't be signing up for anymore public Beta's in the future.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I imagine we'd get one more PB if they're releasing late October.
Yeah, but still. Safari is so broken in PB2. It's amazing how broken it is. It wasn't this broken in PB1. Things that they didn't or shouldn't have even touched are now broken.

The Tab Overview is unresponsive to clicks anywhere but on a thumbnail. You can't click the X to close tabs. Cant click on any of the cloud tabs because the list is not clickable at all. I use iCloud Tabs all the time.

When you leave Tab Overview, a weird grey bar appears at the top of the web content and stays no matter what tab you switch to. But only disappears when you reload a page. Any page. Doesn't matter. So what is it? Why is it there? Why does Tab Overview put it there? It serves no purpose. And somehow disappears when arbitrarily clicking reload.

Pages with a lot of images are terrible. If you try to scroll in them before they completely finish their loading process, which can take minutes, well after the content has finished actually downloading, you risk freezing the tab. Sometimes to the point you can't close it at all. Occasionally requiring a Force Quit of Safari even though you can still browse other tabs.

Not to mention constant tab crashes and reloads.

Plus various bugs in other parts of the OS. So much more was broken in PB2 than PB1, which seemed fine relatively. Why they couldn't just have the PBs be the same as the DPs, just 2 days later instead of going every other release is sad because it means any major bugs will take even longer to remove. I should have just stayed on the Dev channel. lol Debating on whether I want to try switching back to it. I just don't feel like wasting all that time installing and downloading updates. Otherwise I'd do it now.

Beta gonna Beta I guess.

Ninja Dom

Thank fuck for that!!!

I fixed my iMac problem.

Thanks to Deku Tree.

I made a Yosemite Public Beta 2 USB Installer and re-installed it on the iMac. Its back to normal and working fine for now.

Deku Tree

Thank fuck for that!!!

I fixed my iMac problem.

Thanks to Deku Tree.

I made a Yosemite Public Beta 2 USB Installer and re-installed it on the iMac. Its back to normal and working fine for now.

Awesome! Glad to hear it. You should report what happened to apple through the bug report program since it sounds like it was a bug.

iOS GM will likely be out on Tuesday.

I am ready for it. Crazy that it's only a few more days!!

Ninja Dom

Awesome! Glad to hear it. You should report what happened to apple through the bug report program since it sounds like it was a bug.

I am ready for it. Crazy that it's only a few more days!!

Went to do what you said and report it through the Feedback Assistant. The Feedback Assistant now believes that it is time for me to change my Apple ID password (I only changed it in July) and won't let me progress further until it's changed. I don't want to change it now. It's such a pain to change on all of my programs across my 3 devices.

Deku Tree

Can your Safari load this page? Ours couldn't:

I am using a Mavericks computer right now and it loads it just fine.

But yeah I remember my Yosemite PB2 computers not loading GIFS or GIF heavy pages properly. Its a bug, hopefully they fix it soon for PB3. I remember reporting to Apple one of those pages not loading too. The more people who report it, the faster they will fix it too.

Squalor

I am using a Mavericks computer right now and it loads it just fine.

But yeah I remember my Yosemite PB2 computers not loading GIFS or GIF heavy pages properly. Its a bug, hopefully they fix it soon for PB3. I remember reporting to Apple one of those pages not loading too. The more people who report it, the faster they will fix it too.
Yeah, of course it works fine on Mavericks.

GIFs are a pretty ubiquitous part of the Internet. It's a browser-breaking problem, so it makes sense to ditch it.

This wasn't a problem with the first public beta, though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can anyone who has DP7 see if Safari is as shitty as it is in PB2? Because PB2 is based on DP6. Was DP6 Safari as bad? Maybe things were fixed?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, of course it works fine on Mavericks.

GIFs are a pretty ubiquitous part of the Internet. It's a browser-breaking problem, so it makes sense to ditch it.

This wasn't a problem with the first public beta, though.

Same situation. I have 8gb of ram. Safari should not be choking on gifs. Chrome doesn't.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I've been using the public Yosemite beta on my work Macbook since it was released without any real issues, but my main home computer – a 2011 iMac – is using Mavericks. Convince me that I shouldn't install the beta there as well, because I'm damn close to. It just looks so much nicer.

Deku Tree

I've been using the public Yosemite beta on my work Macbook since it was released without any real issues, but my main home computer – a 2011 iMac – is using Mavericks. Convince me that I shouldn't install the beta there as well, because I'm damn close to. It just looks so much nicer.

Well do you want to be able to view GIF heavy NeoGAF threads in Safari?

itsinmyveins

Well do you want to be able to view GIF heavy NeoGAF threads in Safari?

Meh, I tend to use Chrome mainly right now. Oh, I guess I wouldn't be able to sync to iCloud either and have to use dropbox exclusively.

By the way, is there any way to access iCloud-documents through Yosemite at all, or do you have save them to dropbox or a usb?

Deku Tree

Meh, I tend to use Chrome mainly right now. Oh, I guess I wouldn't be able to sync to iCloud either and have to use dropbox exclusively.

By the way, is there any way to access iCloud-documents through Yosemite at all, or do you have save them to dropbox or a usb?

No, I think you lose access to iCloud documents in Mavericks and you have access in Yosemite when you install the PB.

EmiPrime

Maybe stop using Safari guys. PB2 here and Chrome is fine.

The only bugs I am experiencing are hard crashes during sleep mode, same as PB1.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Safari is so much better for me than Chrome was up until I switched. And now I would never consider it anymore either. It's just so much better to stay with the built in browsers for syncing between them.

And even though my iCloud upgraded itself I haven't noticed any problems with syncing things. I just with it would come out officially so I can see whether it will be worth it to switch to completely or stick with DropBox and possibly buy an account. I just hate that DropBox only has one price tier. $10 for 1TB. I don't need a whole TB. I hope Apples price changes convinces DropBox to give a cheaper $1-4 plan for something like 20GB. It's really all I need.

Ambitious

Same situation. I have 8gb of ram. Safari should not be choking on gifs. Chrome doesn't.

It doesn't? Well, I wouldn't call it choking, but GIF performance is awful in both Safari and Chrome for me (on Mavericks). I have to browse GIF heavy threads in Firefox.

EmiPrime

I like my web browser to have more than one feature update a year, to not choke on gifs, to get timely security updates, to not be abandoned when my computer can no longer install the latest version of OS X and to sync across all my devices (and OSs).

That's just me though. I appreciate that if you need your laptop battery to go the distance Safari might be preferable. I think persisting with it despite how crashy it is on PB2 when you have more reliable alternatives is kind of masochistic.

It doesn't? Well, I wouldn't call it choking, but GIF performance is awful in both Safari and Chrome for me (on Mavericks). I have to browse GIF heavy threads in Firefox.

I don't think I have ever had problems with gifs with Chrome. I use the beta channel for whatever it's worth.

itsinmyveins

No, I think you lose access to iCloud documents in Mavericks and you have access in Yosemite when you install the PB.

Wait, so if I turn on iCloud Drive in Yosemite it will convert the old iCloud documents to the new format, and then I'll be able to access them?

Top Bottom