• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Mindwipe

It doesn't? Well, I wouldn't call it choking, but GIF performance is awful in both Safari and Chrome for me (on Mavericks). I have to browse GIF heavy threads in Firefox.

Yeah, hasn't everyone on GAF been moaning that Chrome's performance with animated GIFs is by far the worst out of any browser for about two years now?

jts

...hate me...
I think I'll start touching Apple betas with a 10ft pole after this year.

Trying to restore iPad to 7.1.2 (so I can sell it), iTunes on my computer simply won't cope if the iPad is connected in (right now it is asking for iTunes on the display).

I can open iTunes if the iPad is not plugged in. But as soon as I do it, boom. iTunes quits compulsively.

Just sharing.

Ninja Dom

I've been using the public Yosemite beta on my work Macbook since it was released without any real issues, but my main home computer – a 2011 iMac – is using Mavericks. Convince me that I shouldn't install the beta there as well, because I'm damn close to. It just looks so much nicer.

Don't do it. See my problems on the previous page using Yosemite PB2 on my Late 2009 iMac. 12GB Ram, 2.8GHz i7.

I use MPlayerX for everything.

Just know that they no longer support the App Store version, opting instead for an auto-updating version which you can get from their site.

This doesn't work well on my Retina screen though, all MKV's and the majority of HD content in general is pixelated.
When opening the same file in VLC and this side-by-side the quality on VLC is definitely superior.

It's s shame as I love how 'light' MPlayerX is...

RedAssedApe

Banned
hope they release ios 8 gm soon so that devs start releasting updates. having apps act funny because devs haven't updated to support it yet is always the worst part of running beta...otherwise 8b5 has been running pretty well for me as a daily driver

Deku Tree

hope they release ios 8 gm soon so that devs start releasting updates. having apps act funny because devs haven't updated to support it yet is always the worst part of running beta...otherwise 8b5 has been running pretty well for me as a daily driver

Probably tomorrow.

Ambitious

MPlayerX used to be my default player for everything too, until I realized it's not able to handle 60fps videos in some cases. After some time, audio and video is out of sync. So that's when I have to resort to VLC.

MPlayerX used to be my default player for everything too, until I realized it's not able to handle 60fps videos in some cases. After some time, audio and video is out of sync. So that's when I have to resort to VLC.

You know, I haven't really revisited my video player choice in several years. Aesthetically, VLC has come a long way and perhaps borderless doesn't mean as much to me as it once did. VLC is undoubtedly a better performer, so I think I'm going to switch over to it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
VLC works fine for me too. Though I still miss Movist. I loved it but eventually had to leave it behind. Thankfully VLC got a bit better by then.

Deku Tree

Anyone succeed at watching Twitch.tv on Safari in Yosemite PB2? All I got was a scrolling wheel for a while on my MBA. Not sure if my settings are wrong or if it is just the beta.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So what're the odds that 8.0 gets jail broken relatively soon after release? I've gotten so used to some of the Cydia apps that I can't jump ship, but holy crap do I want that added lockscreen and notification functionality.

Fuchsdh

So what're the odds that 8.0 gets jail broken relatively soon after release? I've gotten so used to some of the Cydia apps that I can't jump ship, but holy crap do I want that added lockscreen and notification functionality.

Not at all likely. The number of holes they can use decrease over time, and if they jailbreak it with an early point release it's highly likely the exploit will be patched for later 8.x revisions.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The one that converts flash to html5. I forget the name.
Oh yeah. I had to disable YouTube Center because it turns out Safari now changes YouTube into HTML5 automatically. Unfortunately you lose other features the extension enabled but at least it's fucking HTML5 without an extension. If only it could also automatically disable auto-play and convert all other videos somehow and disable autoplay there too it'd be fucking amazing. This is why I use Safari now.

Plus it means less extensions to enable. I only have a handful anymore:

1Password because it's indispensable

QuickStyle because I need something to zoom the text on a lot of websites (GAF included) because at 1200p everything is fucking small and Safari doesn't remember your Zoom setting

Occasionally I also have NinjaKit enabled which is a GreaseMonkey extension so I can use YouTube Me! on GAF. I do wish YTM had some options to disable certain features though. The YouTube part and Vimeo parts work great but Safari will not support embedded .webms no matter what. You have to click them. Also, even though SoundCloud works, it usually reports an error anyway. I'll probably just modify it to ignore .webms. I do wish I could get it to embed them properly in Safari. Weird thing is they play in Safari if I click. They use QuickTime plugin. But they won't show when embedded in a page. Maybe the code can be changed a bit to force it? I dunno. I should go hang out in the official YTM! thread and talk to hate radio about it.

Ultimate Statusbar because come on! Every other fucking browser has that disappearing status bar that only appears when you hover. But Safari still fucking uses a "status bar" that a lot of browsers don't even use anymore. Even most Firefox extensions ignore it anymore. No one wants a full status bar. Can Safari extensions even put anything down there? It's like it's just for the URL. So why not just make it like Chrome, Firefox, Opera and even IE now do? Come on, Apple. Even if you put the URL in the addressbar when I hover. As long as it shows up somewhere. I hate not knowing where a URL will take me. This is pretty much the only extension I would really get rid of if I could aside from NinjaKit if I didn't like embedded YouTube so much. (Why hasn't this been built-into GAF by now? At least maybe special tags for YouTube and Vimeo and the others.)

AdBlock for obvious reasons. Obligatory "Disabled on NeoGAF of course" post.

And lastly, BetterTTV because Twich fucking sucks and the dark theme is super useful as are the other features it gives.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You don't need a rev account for the GM I'm pretty sure. You just need Google but I don't know what the legality of an unprotected OS that's free anyway would be so I don't want to get more into it. I mean it's free. It's not requiring an account anymore. But then again it's not out yet.

ramyeon

It is pretty easy to find these files through Google guys, there isn't much need to request here. Even a vague google search will get you results.

ramyeon

My phone still isn't displaying the grand master for iOS 8.
*Gold Master

If you're a developer you'll need to download the IPSW from the dev portal. If you're not, you'll need to source it from elsewhere. This isn't an OTA update.

The public release in a week's time will be OTA though.

Squalor

*Gold Master

If you're a developer you'll need to download the IPSW from the dev portal. If you're not, you'll need to source it from elsewhere. This isn't an OTA update.

The public release in a week's time will be OTA though.
Oh, simple enough. I thought it would be an OTA update, too. Thanks.

LCfiner

PSA. don’t try to update iOS using the public beta version of iTunes 12. DFU hell.

I think an Xcode install is necessary from what I’m reading. will find out soon or will otherwise roll back to iTunes 11 and iOS 7.

Top Bottom