• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

ramyeon

PSA. don’t try to update iOS using the public beta version of iTunes 12. DFU hell.

I think an Xcode install is necessary from what I’m reading. will find out soon or will otherwise roll back to iTunes 11 and iOS 7.
Just heard about that, glad I held back... Those on Mavericks will be fine as Apple pushed a new update for iTunes 11 for comparability but anyone running Yosemite should hold off for an update to iTunes 12.

LCfiner

Just heard about that, glad I held back... Those on Mavericks will be fine as Apple pushed a new update for iTunes 11 for comparability but anyone running Yosemite should hold off for an update to iTunes 12.

quick update. the Xcode beta did fix iTunes 12 beta compatibility. iOS 8 is installing now on the phone. no longer in DFU hell.

that is all.

ramyeon

quick update. the Xcode beta did fix iTunes 12 beta compatibility. iOS 8 is installing now on the phone. no longer in DFU hell.

that is all.
Are you on the Dev Beta or Public Beta? From what I've heard you can't install the Xcode 6 GM on Public Beta 2. Gonna just do this on my iMac with Mavericks. Better safe than sorry.

LCfiner

Are you on the Dev Beta or Public Beta? From what I've heard you can't install the Xcode 6 GM on Public Beta 2. Gonna just do this on my iMac with Mavericks. Better safe than sorry.

public beta of yosemite/itunes. I installed the beta of Xcode just now cuz I heard it fixed this problem and seemed easier than rolling back itunes to ver 11. Xcode installed some components that lets itunes 12 beta handle a DFU iphone without crashing.

anyway, waiting is probably the best idea, anyway :)

ramyeon

wait so you guys are saying I cannot install the ipsw of the IOS 8 GM on windows (without xcode?)
You will need a version of iTunes that is compatible with iOS 8 to restore your device. Apple pushed an update for iTunes 11 on OSX that supports this today but have yet to push an update for Windows. It'll come alongside the public release next week. The GM is still technically designed for developers.

Edit: Just updated on my iMac running Mavericks with no issues, looking good so far. Can't wait until developers start taking advantage of the new features, that's when this'll really start to shine.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You will need a version of iTunes that is compatible with iOS 8 to restore your device. Apple pushed an update for iTunes 11 on OSX that supports this today but have yet to push an update for Windows. It'll come alongside the public release next week. The GM is still technically designed for developers.

Edit: Just updated on my iMac running Mavericks with no issues, looking good so far. Can't wait until developers start taking advantage of the new features, that's when this'll really start to shine.
Which version of iTunes does it require? I'm currently only on Yosemite PB2 with iTunes 12.0.0.97. Is there anything newer than that? Do I need to jump over to the DP side? I don't want to brick my phone right now. (Unless I can somehow revert if needed to.)

ramyeon

Which version of iTunes does it require? I'm currently only on Yosemite PB2 with iTunes 12.0.0.97. Is there anything newer than that? Do I need to jump over to the DP side? I don't want to brick my phone right now. (Unless I can somehow revert if needed to.)
For Mavericks 11.4, for Yosemite you'll need to install the new Xcode beta and run it once, otherwise iTunes 12 seems to crash and get the phone stuck in DFU mode.

ramyeon

Thanks. I really don't want to brick anything. Weird that iTunes 12 has a problem 11 doesn't have.
Well it's a new stable iteration vs a beta, I'm sure the issue will be addressed though.

I don't know why they felt they had to redesign the control centre stuff in iOS8. It looks so much worse now. Apart from that and the keyboard not a whole lot feels or looks different on the surface. Books, Podcast and that new Tips app all being preinstalled and undeletable is a bit annoying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well I've downloaded and run Xcode 6 GM and it did whatever it did to iTunes it was supposed to do. I think I recall it did the same thing last time too. The GM for iOS 7 also required an Xcode install and iTunes refresh for some reason.

So here goes. I'm backed up and everything's up to date. Got the iOS update for my A1456 5C. We'll see how it goes.

Edit: Haha. I just realized I could have downloaded the iPad mini version and done the upgrade on the iPad, that I rarely use except for videos and could live without for a while if I needed to, instead of the phone. I'm so silly.

Got DFU loop'd on Windows with the newest version of iTunes, had to restore and have been pulling my backup off the cloud and resyncing for the past few hours. No fun, but finally almost done! No idea what went wrong with the shift+click "Update" process. Sigh.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ugh. Do I need to pair my phone and MacBook to use Handoff and Continuity? Because I fucking hate BlueTooth. I can't get it to pair. Every time it pairs, it disconnects. I now have my laptop in my phones list twice and neither will connect. It keeps telling me to make sure the laptop is within range. IT'S FUCKING RIGHT THERE!

Fuck you BlueTooth. Fuck you. I have never liked you.

jts

...hate me...
Ugh. Do I need to pair my phone and MacBook to use Handoff and Continuity? Because I fucking hate BlueTooth. I can't get it to pair. Every time it pairs, it disconnects. I now have my laptop in my phones list twice and neither will connect. It keeps telling me to make sure the laptop is within range. IT'S FUCKING RIGHT THERE!

Bluetooth rocks, it's just the Mac+iPhone implementation that sucks.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Bluetooth rocks, it's just the Mac+iPhone implementation that sucks.
How do they expect us to actually use Handoff and Continuity if the most important part doesn't work at all? I can't get it to work at all. I never have been able to. Not when I had a 4S and an Air. Not when I had a 4S and this Pro. Not when I had my iPod Touch. Not my iPad. And not my new 5C and my Pro. I've tried everything. Googling for help turns up nothing that works.

numble

No, you shouldn't need to pair. It should be like how AirDrop works.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No, you shouldn't need to pair. It should be like how AirDrop works.
I didn't think I did. But it doesn't even work when I do pair. And it doesn't show anything on either device when I open Safari to a tab or Mail whether it's paired (For the 2 seconds it stays on before disconnecting and throwing up an error.) or not.

Irminsul

I didn't think I did. But it doesn't even work when I do pair. And it doesn't show anything on either device when I open Safari to a tab or Mail whether it's paired (For the 2 seconds it stays on before disconnecting and throwing up an error.) or not.
How old is your MacBook? Are you sure it supports Continuity?

jts

...hate me...
What are the iTunes requirements to install iOS 8 GM guys?

I'm on Yosemite PB2 with the crashy iTunes 12 (I have currently an iPad mini stuck in DFU because of it). Anyway I just want to update my iPhone 5.

Can it be done on an up-to-date Mavericks machine?

Deku Tree

What are the iTunes requirements to install iOS 8 GM guys?

I'm on Yosemite PB2 with the crashy iTunes 12 (I have currently an iPad mini stuck in DFU because of it). Anyway I just want to update my iPhone 5.

Can it be done on an up-to-date Mavericks machine?

Yes you need to use Mavericks with the update to iTunes from yesterday.

It's a shame any handoff activity isn't passed through to the Mac in a Notification.
The icon in the dock is clean and simple, but I don't have the dock visible ever so it's not incredibly useful...

jts

...hate me...
My Mac mini must be feeling really old... just hangs when I point to the IPSW. Half an hour and going. Any pointers?

edit: a restart did it.

Squalor

What Mac are you using (name the year as well)?

Actually, it's probably just easier if I tell you what Macs support Yosemite's Continuity. Your Mac needs Bluetooth LE (AKA Bluetooth Smart):

• MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or later)
  • Retina MacBook Pro (All models)
  • iMac (Late 2012 or later)
  • Mac Mini (Mid 2011 or later)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013 or later)

Deku Tree

WTF the default "Google" iOS app is off, not loaded in the background, and its just constantly using my location sucking my battery in iOS8. Creepy Google... I might delete it.

Squalor

WTF the default "Google" iOS app is off, not loaded in the background, and its just constantly using my location sucking my battery in iOS8. Creepy Google... I might delete it.
Did you check its status in Settings > Privacy > Location Services?

Some apps have three options: Never, While Using, and Always.

Some only have Never and Always.

What is Google's?

Are you just now installing it for the first time? When they added Google Now functionality the location services became Always-On if you allow it.

In Google, check Settings->Privacy->Location->Location reporting. It's separate from the Location Services setting Squalor is asking you to check.

Is spotlight supposed to always show the "In addition to searching your iPhone, Spotlight now shows suggestions from the Internet, iTunes, App Store, locations nearby, and more. You can change this in Settings. Learn more…" text? Or is there a way to dismiss it?

Deku Tree

Thanks!

Did you check its status in Settings > Privacy > Location Services?

Some apps have three options: Never, While Using, and Always.

Some only have Never and Always.

What is Google's?

Yeah Google only allows you to choose Never or Always... typical Google.

Are you just now installing it for the first time? When they added Google Now functionality the location services became Always-On if you allow it.

In Google, check Settings->Privacy->Location->Location reporting. It's separate from the Location Services setting Squalor is asking you to check.

Cool. No I have had Google installed for a long time. It just started hogging location services when I updated to iOS8 GM because I did a clean install.

I turned off Google Now but left it so that it can use my location in the iOS preferences. Now I think it will only use my location when I open the App.

Is iCloud getting hammered at the moment? My restore necessitated by a failed update to iOS 8 GM seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time, and the lack of status messages on the whole process is really frustrating. I had to restore a similar amount of data about a month ago and it didn't take near as long as this has. My iCloud backup is around 4 GB, have a few hundred apps installed.

ALSO! What does a little crescent moon symbol mean in Messages? That there hasn't been a new reply in the chain since the previous night, or that the other user is in Do Not Disturb mode? I'm guessing it's the former because I'm pretty sure the person I'm texting doesn't have an iPhone, but couldn't find any info on the icon in that context online.

RedAssedApe

Banned
so i got the GM ipsw file and did a restore over 8b5. every seems fine but when i tried to upgrade to icloud drive i get the spinning icon and "upgrading" under my icloud settings. this has been going on for a day now.

does anyone know what's going on here and is there a fix? prefer not to go through the install process again as everything else seems to be working fine.

Top Bottom