• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What Mac are you using (name the year as well)?

Actually, it's probably just easier if I tell you what Macs support Yosemite's Continuity. Your Mac needs Bluetooth LE (AKA Bluetooth Smart):

• MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or later)
  • Retina MacBook Pro (All models)
  • iMac (Late 2012 or later)
  • Mac Mini (Mid 2011 or later)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013 or later)
How old is your MacBook? Are you sure it supports Continuity?
It's a brand new iPhone 5C and a brand new 2013 MacBook Pro 15" with Retina top of the line most expensive model they make. I'm 130% sure these models should work with it. Unless the 5C for some reason doesn't have the right BlueTooth.

Is it because I'm on PB2? Do I need to wait for PB3?

Squalor

I'd say your best bet is waiting for official releases, then.

The iPhone 5c and MacBook Pro with Retina display are compatible from a hardware stance.

jts

...hate me...
I can upgrade to the new iCloud tiers already. Woohoo!

20GB, 200GB, 500GB, 1TB, woohoo! Reasonable prices, woohoo!

Anyway, I can't really do away with the local photos on my Mac for now, can I? When is Photos going to drop?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd say your best bet is waiting for official releases, then.

The iPhone 5c and MacBook Pro with Retina display are compatible from a hardware stance.
Hopefully it's just a bug. I'm on iOS 8 on my phone, but PB2 on Yosemite. Hopefully PB3 fixes it. It's like the one thing I was looking forward to.

I can upgrade to the new iCloud tiers already. Woohoo!

20GB, 200GB, 500GB, 1TB, woohoo! Reasonable prices, woohoo!

Anyway, I can't really do away with the local photos on my Mac for now, can I? When is Photos going to drop?
Photos.app is next year.

What are the prices for 500GB and 1TB?

jts

...hate me...
Hopefully it's just a bug. I'm on iOS 8 on my phone, but PB2 on Yosemite. Hopefully PB3 fixes it. It's like the one thing I was looking forward to.

Photos.app is next year.

What are the prices for 500GB and 1TB?
Euro prices, 500GB €9,99/mo, 1TB €19,99/mo.

You can check your local prices on an iOS 8 device though, by just checking the upgrade options. Settings > iCloud > Storage > Change storage plan (translation may be off).

That's bad about photos.app though. I was sincerely hoping to see if I could relieve my poor SSD of its 100GB (and growing) iPhoto library. That's the main reason why it's always filled to the brim.
Guess I'll check how can I just put it into an external HDD, and start anew. Then I will merge them libraries in Photos.app come next year.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does the iCloud Photo Library feature not work on Yosemite yet? I really really want to use it, but when I turned it on on my phone, all it did was erase my iCloud stream. It won't show my library at all. So I checked on my computer and it indeed has not uploaded anything yet. Does it require the latest Yosemite DP? Because I'm still on PB2. Also, iPhoto on my Mac does not have any kind of reference to it either. So I was thinking maybe it requires a newer iPhoto version or something. (I have version 9.5.1(902.17))

Does the iCloud Photo Library feature not work on Yosemite yet?

Not until Photos comes out next year

iCloud.com is getting an iCloud drive section and a settings section:

screenshot-2014-09-10-17-51-05.png

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/10/icloud-drive-and-settings-apps-added-to-beta-icloud-website/

GWX

iOS 8 GM impressions, iPad 4th generation:

• Performance: a bit degraded, sadly. The zooming animations when entering and exiting apps may occasionally lag, specially when opening folders or exiting apps. The new sidebar in Safari is a notable offender: it drags down the framerate when scrolling content within the sidebar and the actual internet page. The animation for switching orientations still lags in some apps (that was always the case for this device since iOS 7), such as Messages and App Store. Opening Spotlight doesn't lag anymore, but the animation of the keyboard appearing seems to be running at a lower, albeit stable framerate. Also, my iPad seems to be running hotter, nearly 24h after the install (so it's not indexing stuff for Spotlight).
  • Design: in some places, the improvements are clear: Safari looks better, behaves better (I love the new tab overview and the title bar miniaturization when scrolling, just like on the iPhone); App Store storefront is slightly improved: gone are the rounded cover flow-like banners with funky scrolling, in are new flat banners with actually responsive scrolling, and the app icon sizes look more consistent - newsstand apps are shrank down to normal app icon size, rather than being twice the height as normal app icons. There are a lot of bugs around the system, though: the delete bubble inside photos, when a photo is in focus/only showing a pic per time, looks funny; the date in Today view inside Notification Center is way to close to the separation line/widget banner, as much as it's overlapping, when in landscape view; Settings behaved weirdly once, with the second column keeping the portrait orientation width when in landscape, leavimg a huge blank space on its side; split keyboard looks weird with the rounded edges not meeting the right-angled keyboard, and there's no predictive suggestions when in split mode; Predictive switch in Spotlight's keyboard looks funky.
  • Wallpapers: better than iOS 7.1, which zoomed in way too much, even with perspective zoom turned off, but still not as good as iOS 6 and earlier, where you could even choose to leave black borders around the pics.
  • Features: most of the exciting stuff is not working yet/needs iOS 8 on phone and Yosemite on Mac, which are extensibility and continuity. I also want to try out new keyboards, but there aren't any out yet. QuickType is cool, but too limited (works only in some situations, lack gesture-based typing, needs split mode predictive suggestions). Mail's new feature are welcome, as the much improved messages app (in functionality; still laggy though!). Excited for Family Sharing, iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library and improved App Store (app bundles, app previews and explore tab).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Not until Photos comes out next year
Then why put the option in iOS now? Even if it's clearly marked Beta, it still implies that you can use it. No one can even test the Photos app yet so it shouldn't even be available yet.

I'll just keep syncing my "Originals" folder to my DropBox for now until they release it I guess.

Restoring from iCloud for nearly 18 hours on 20+ Mb wifi connections... starting to get worried. Anyone know what to do? Just let it chug away? I've restarted the phone a few times and that has seemingly made some apps show up but still have pages of darkened content and a small sliver of my saved text messages. My music I brought over from iTunes (no idea why the same can't be done for the apps, but I digress) and I pulled my photos off and backed them up when they first came down from iCloud. Anything?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Text message syncing is fucking amazing.

My phone is across the room and I'm over at my desk setting up 2-factor Authentication for some of my Google apps and all the text messages just show up on my screen so I can just type the number without getting up.

This is amazing. I need to test the calling...... Hopefully at least that works. (Won't be happy until I get Handoff working.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Don't care. I just want all my photos uploaded. And I'll only keep the "optimized" ones on my iPhone.
The point is that it doesn't actually work yet. Nothing gets uploaded. In fact, when I turned it on, it removed my current Photo Stream but didn't upload anything to replace it. So now I have absolutely no photos at all on iCloud or my iPhone.

It doesn't work with iPhoto yet apparently. At least not the version that is in Public Beta 2. Not a single thing has been uploaded at all. And the option does not exist on the Mac side.

giga

The point is that it doesn't actually work yet. Nothing gets uploaded. In fact, when I turned it on, it removed my current Photo Stream but didn't upload anything to replace it. So now I have absolutely no photos at all on iCloud or my iPhone.

It doesn't work with iPhoto yet apparently. At least not the version that is in Public Beta 2. Not a single thing has been uploaded at all. And the option does not exist on the Mac side.
I turned it on, saw it uploading, and my photo library is intact.

wgbmE2P.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My phone.
Well there it is. I don't have my library on my phone. It's on my computer where it's meant to be. I don't sync my photos to my phone or iPad because of the horribly bloated cache it creates on my Mac just to sync. Looks like I'll have to wait until Photos comes out. That sucks ass. At least I can continue using DropBox with a symlink to my Originals backup for now.

RedAssedApe

Banned
so i got the GM ipsw file and did a restore over 8b5. every seems fine but when i tried to upgrade to icloud drive i get the spinning icon and "upgrading" under my icloud settings. this has been going on for a day now.

does anyone know what's going on here and is there a fix? prefer not to go through the install process again as everything else seems to be working fine.

nevermind...i signed out of icloud and signed back in and this disappeared. didn't get upgraded tho...

Right, I think if you have multiple iOS devices, iCloud Photo Library can work now and sync across those devices.

I sync my photos to my phone, but my "main" library is on my Mac so it's not really much use to me right now.

---

Also there's a new iTunes 12 beta out that fixes the iOS 8 gm weird ness.

ramyeon

Right, I think if you have multiple iOS devices, iCloud Photo Library can work now and sync across those devices.

I sync my photos to my phone, but my "main" library is on my Mac so it's not really much use to me right now.

---

Also there's a new iTunes 12 beta out that fixes the iOS 8 gm weird ness.
Good to see they fixed the iTunes stuff so quick. They also fixed a few other quirks the last version had, like searching for stuff in album view not working properly and not being able to manually sort in album view, some minor UI changes too.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Glad they fixed this
ibwtUy0qK5Zs7A.png
and it now looks like this
izbDWnuSKKOlp.png
. The shuffle position was getting on my nerves, lol.

ramyeon

They half fixed the process of switching between the full size player and mini player lol. Before when you clicked the album art to switch to mini player the full size window would also stay on the screen. Now it disappears, but when you go to switch back to full size the mini player stays on the screen.

iOS 8 GM impressions, iPad 4th generation:

• Performance: a bit degraded, sadly. The zooming animations when entering and exiting apps may occasionally lag, specially when opening folders or exiting apps. The new sidebar in Safari is a notable offender: it drags down the framerate when scrolling content within the sidebar and the actual internet page. The animation for switching orientations still lags in some apps (that was always the case for this device since iOS 7), such as Messages and App Store. Opening Spotlight doesn't lag anymore, but the animation of the keyboard appearing seems to be running at a lower, albeit stable framerate. Also, my iPad seems to be running hotter, nearly 24h after the install (so it's not indexing stuff for Spotlight).
  • Design: in some places, the improvements are clear: Safari looks better, behaves better (I love the new tab overview and the title bar miniaturization when scrolling, just like on the iPhone); App Store storefront is slightly improved: gone are the rounded cover flow-like banners with funky scrolling, in are new flat banners with actually responsive scrolling, and the app icon sizes look more consistent - newsstand apps are shrank down to normal app icon size, rather than being twice the height as normal app icons. There are a lot of bugs around the system, though: the delete bubble inside photos, when a photo is in focus/only showing a pic per time, looks funny; the date in Today view inside Notification Center is way to close to the separation line/widget banner, as much as it's overlapping, when in landscape view; Settings behaved weirdly once, with the second column keeping the portrait orientation width when in landscape, leavimg a huge blank space on its side; split keyboard looks weird with the rounded edges not meeting the right-angled keyboard, and there's no predictive suggestions when in split mode; Predictive switch in Spotlight's keyboard looks funky.
  • Wallpapers: better than iOS 7.1, which zoomed in way too much, even with perspective zoom turned off, but still not as good as iOS 6 and earlier, where you could even choose to leave black borders around the pics.
  • Features: most of the exciting stuff is not working yet/needs iOS 8 on phone and Yosemite on Mac, which are extensibility and continuity. I also want to try out new keyboards, but there aren't any out yet. QuickType is cool, but too limited (works only in some situations, lack gesture-based typing, needs split mode predictive suggestions). Mail's new feature are welcome, as the much improved messages app (in functionality; still laggy though!). Excited for Family Sharing, iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library and improved App Store (app bundles, app previews and explore tab).

iPhone 5 Impressions with iOS 8 GM:

Performance: Smoother than iOS 7.x the animations are snappier and and touch responses are much more quicker. I am seriously impressed a newer OS is performing better than an older OS on a device 3 generations old.

Design: The font looks much better than iOS 7.x but the overall look is nearly the same. There are subtle changes in icons etc but they are quite subtle to make a big difference. This is more of a feature change than any sort of visual change.

Wallpapers: I don't notice or care much about this

Features: There are subtle changes I like such as battery useage per app and small changes which accumulate to good changes but that is not what this OS seems to be about. This is about what is behind the scenes and how the API changes will completely change the way how apps interact with each other which is a game changer in terms of OS functionality.

Restoring from iCloud for nearly 18 hours on 20+ Mb wifi connections... starting to get worried. Anyone know what to do? Just let it chug away? I've restarted the phone a few times and that has seemingly made some apps show up but still have pages of darkened content and a small sliver of my saved text messages. My music I brought over from iTunes (no idea why the same can't be done for the apps, but I digress) and I pulled my photos off and backed them up when they first came down from iCloud. Anything?

mine took 10 minutes. there must be something wrong in the process or the servers processing it

iOS 8 runs well on a 5S (as to be expected). Love the new default wallpaper... it's really, really nice. About the only thing I dislike is the new control center (god damn is it ugly). Same with how they designed the predictive text bar on the keyboard but I'm 100% going to replace the stock keyboard once SwiftKey or Minuum hit anyways so I don't care.

mine took 10 minutes. there must be something wrong in the process or the servers processing it
Damn, really? I do have a few hundred apps installed and all my messages saved from 2008 on... My iCloud backup is around 4.1 GB. I really don't know what to do at this point; I still get the message that it's restoring from my iCloud backup but I can't actually tell that any progress is being made. I have dozens of apps in either a grayed out state (if I restart my phone) or in a "loading state" with partially filled indicators if I do a sync.

I don't want to lose the data (texts, pictures, app data on the apps I was actually able to use like Downcast) from today but I don't know what to do other than cancel the restore, erase and start over.

GWX

iPhone 5 Impressions with iOS 8 GM:

Performance: Smoother than iOS 7.x the animations are snappier and and touch responses are much more quicker. I am seriously impressed a newer OS is performing better than an older OS on a device 3 generations old.

Design: The font looks much better than iOS 7.x but the overall look is nearly the same. There are subtle changes in icons etc but they are quite subtle to make a big difference. This is more of a feature change than any sort of visual change.

Wallpapers: I don't notice or care much about this

Features: There are subtle changes I like such as battery useage per app and small changes which accumulate to good changes but that is not what this OS seems to be about. This is about what is behind the scenes and how the API changes will completely change the way how apps interact with each other which is a game changer in terms of OS functionality.

How can two devices with the same chip (A6, although the iPad has a quad-core GPU) be so different performance-wise? If only Apple cared more about iPad software :( And the wallpaper thing is a bigger problem on iPads; it's really a non-issue with iPhones.

Going to install iOS 8 GM on my 5s later. I feel it's going to be a lot smoother :)

ramyeon

Yeah iOS 8 runs better than 7, and I love the immediate changes (Such as being able to respond to notifications directly), but the real game changing stuff will be once developers start taking advantage of the APIs available now. I love the idea of being able to edit photos with 3rd party apps without ever leaving the Photos.app for example. Plus the keyboards, never tried SwiftKey or Swype or anything before, but I'm keen to give them a go.

RevoDS

It really shows that this release was centered on new possibilities and APIs for developers. iOS 8 may work very differently once apps are made for it, but for now it's mostly the exact same as last year's version in terms of usability.

That said, for now I'm not impressed. I get this weird bug every few hours where the touch screen becomes completely unresponsive, sometimes in the middle of using an app, sometimes before I even unlock. The only fix is tu put it asleep using the power button, wait 10-15 seconds then unlock again.

Also, I'm on Yosemite's public beta 2 and, like one guy who posted above, I'm still unable to get Handoff working at all.

So yeah, things not doing so well for me since the update...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hell yes!

Handoff just suddenly started working across the board for me. I don't know how, but it finally started working.

Now I need to test the calling and answering on my Mac and iPad. Tomorrow I'll do that. In the meantime, how do you make calls from your Mac? Can you? Or your iPad? As long as the phone is on the network? Or is it only in the other direction. I'm looking in Contacts on my iPad and I am getting a Phone icon on my iPad when I select a contact with a phone number, but it doesn't show up on the Mac version of my Contacts. How does this work? I can't do any actual calling until tomorrow because it's midnight.

Edit: Hmm, and interesting thing I just discovered. Yosemite and iOS now sync your stocks and weather lists. But surprisingly not your time zones. I opened my sidebar and found my weather list populated with all the cities I have on my iPhone. And my Stocks full of a dozen extra items I don't even know where they came from. Interesting that it doesn't do the clock time zones. But if you think about it, the clock is the only iOS app that exists on both the iPhone and iPad. But the Stocks and Weather apps are only on iPhone. Also, if you have a lot of items, it lets you collapse it to just a few.

I turned it on, saw it uploading, and my photo library is intact.

wgbmE2P.png

I haven't seen these options yet, where are they found?

Hell yes!

Handoff just suddenly started working across the board for me. I don't know how, but it finally started working.

Now I need to test the calling and answering on my Mac and iPad. Tomorrow I'll do that. In the meantime, how do you make calls from your Mac? Can you? Or your iPad? As long as the phone is on the network? Or is it only in the other direction. I'm looking in Contacts on my iPad and I am getting a Phone icon on my iPad when I select a contact with a phone number, but it doesn't show up on the Mac version of my Contacts. How does this work? I can't do any actual calling until tomorrow because it's midnight.

On the Mac I hover over a number and the phone icons shows to the far right.
Clicking the phone number does nothing even with icon shown, you have to deliberately travel over and click it.
Calls work well for me though to and from the Mac although when sending SMS messages from the Mac I have had a few 'could not send' errors.

Damn, really? I do have a few hundred apps installed and all my messages saved from 2008 on... My iCloud backup is around 4.1 GB. I really don't know what to do at this point; I still get the message that it's restoring from my iCloud backup but I can't actually tell that any progress is being made. I have dozens of apps in either a grayed out state (if I restart my phone) or in a "loading state" with partially filled indicators if I do a sync.

I don't want to lose the data (texts, pictures, app data on the apps I was actually able to use like Downcast) from today but I don't know what to do other than cancel the restore, erase and start over.
So ended up killing the restore and starting over and it went smoothly other than having that day-old backup. No big loss! Only thing that always concerns me about the iCloud restore process is how after the restore is complete and the phone wants to back up it can't as it exceeds the default 5 GB capacity since the old backup is still there. So you end up having to delete that, but then the new backup is always, inevitably, way smaller than the one you're deleting. What is all that data? Really wish Apple was more transparent about the whole process... Maybe I should just get back into the habit of doing a PC backup before a major OS upgrade, eschewing the cloud completely...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I haven't seen these options yet, where are they found?
Those are in iOS 8 under the Photos settings. But it is not implemented on the OS X side yet so if your library is contained there, don't turn it on as it will just delete your stream and leave you empty.

On the Mac I hover over a number and the phone icons shows to the far right.
Clicking the phone number does nothing even with icon shown, you have to deliberately travel over and click it.
Calls work well for me though to and from the Mac although when sending SMS messages from the Mac I have had a few 'could not send' errors.
Haven't had any send errors yet. But I haven't tried sending to non-iPhone users yet. Since all the people I text with have iPhones.

No, the feature has existed for years now.
You mean a year. It's new to iOS 7.

Squalor

Have you noticed however that for some reason they made the clock hands REALLY thick and longer now? I don't know if I like it. It looks tacky. They're a bit too long. I didn't have any problem reading the time before.
Not that I ever read the time from the Clock's icon, but I did notice that the minute hand is especially elongated.

I don't have strong feelings for it one way or the other.

LCfiner

The new itunes beta fixes so many problems the old one had. OMG. all the issues with album sorting and search results not moving you to the correct album have been fixed. the last beta was really rough

and they added the translucent sidebar to match the yosemite look.

Ninja Dom

I asked about AirDrop weeks ago but can anybody give me a step by step guide of how to share a file (picture) using AirDrop between a Mac on Yosemite PB2 and a compatible iOS device??

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I see no problem. The glass they currently use is fine enough for me. I never scratch my screen. If I'm going to do anything it's going to be shattered when I drop it. A protector will help that. Sapphire will still shatter if you drop it badly.

Whatever.

Top Bottom