• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Futureman

Since PB2 came out I've basically had zero issues. Safari was still crashing too often though.

I guess next month we might get an Apple event? Though they had the Mac Pro to debut last year, there's really nothing to debut this year it seems. Rumor on Macrumors today says the ultra slim 12" won't come til 2015 now.

so really.... Cook hyped 2014 as this crazy, banner year for Apple and probably all we'll get is a bigger iPhone. Only other big thing I can think of is a new Apple TV but there have been zero rumors on that front.

Squalor

It's not Apple's fault they may have to delay new laptops until 2015.

I would prefer they do, actually, so that the new laptops have the new processors. It's better than releasing some mid-tier upgrade now, then releasing the actual upgraded laptops in six to eight months.

Since PB2 came out I've basically had zero issues. Safari was still crashing too often though.

I guess next month we might get an Apple event? Though they had the Mac Pro to debut last year, there's really nothing to debut this year it seems. Rumor on Macrumors today says the ultra slim 12" won't come til 2015 now.

so really.... Cook hyped 2014 as this crazy, banner year for Apple and probably all we'll get is a bigger iPhone. Only other big thing I can think of is a new Apple TV but there have been zero rumors on that front.

Very likely to have an event end of Oct for iPads, Yosemite, new iTunes. Sounds like watch, apple tv, 12 retina Mac all got pushed back from late 14 into 15. At least we should have something in the first half of 2015 unlike this year and last.

Fuchsdh

If things get pushed, it sucks, but such is life. It's clear whatever was going to happen on the Mac side prolly got bumped because of Broadwell, and unless they're going to be aggressive and update the Mac Pro to 7,1 with Haswell Xeons, spec-bump the iMacs, and finally come out with a proper new Mac mini (please) I don't see much happening on the Mac side that would generate press excitement.

Fuchsdh

I think that would be priced way out of line with what people expect an iMac to cost... maybe it would be a computer for graphics pros and photographers and 1%ers.

Hence at least a $3K price point for a "super premium" model, sold alongside the old ones.

I don't see a mobile GPU being able to handle that many pixels without stuttering though.

Blackhead

Redarse
Has anyone on the iOS8 GM installed one, or more, of the new keyboards? For those with multiple keyboards, how do you switch between them?

Fuchsdh

iMac Plus incoming.

Well the original Mac Plus sold for $2600, so that's... $5249 in today's dollars (damn inflation, you scary.)

The fact that we didn't hear about this rumor until Dell announced its own monitor makes me think it might be fake riding the coattails of an unrelated announcement for credibility.

Either way I still want my 4K Apple monitor, because a 5K is going to be so ungainly I can't really see them doing it (it'd basically have to be MST and those kinks still haven't been fully ironed out with 4K displays now.)

Dany

Banned
Bummer. It's stopped working days ago. I was so used to it from the yosemite and ios 8 betas that oging back is a pain lol

Maximus.

Random question, did they remove the ability to double tap to drag or highlight text? I had to switch to three finger tap to perform the same functions I normally was able to do with double tap. It still works if I press down on the trackpad using the physical button. Such a weird issue...

LCfiner

Random question, did they remove the ability to double tap to drag or highlight text? I had to switch to three finger tap to perform the same functions I normally was able to do with double tap. It still works if I press down on the trackpad using the physical button. Such a weird issue...

something may have happened and drag lock might be re-enabled.

go to sys pref>accessibility>mouse and trackpad then hit the trackpad options button and click “enable dragging without drag lock”

that should let you double tap to select and drag highlights. it still works for me (public beta 2) so check those options and it should be possible to set it up.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think that globe is for switftkey's settings. Can anyone confirm?
Well it's the same globe icon that Apple uses officially. And I would think one of the stipulations of custom keyboards is that the icon remains there no matter what because it's how you switch.

How can we test it out yet? Have any third parties released any yet?

Maximus.

something may have happened and drag lock might be re-enabled.

go to sys pref>accessibility>mouse and trackpad then hit the trackpad options button and click “enable dragging without drag lock”

that should let you double tap to select and drag highlights. it still works for me (public beta 2) so check those options and it should be possible to set it up.

Awesome that fixed it! Thanks a lot!

Blackhead

Redarse
Well it's the same globe icon that Apple uses officially. And I would think one of the stipulations of custom keyboards is that the icon remains there no matter what because it's how you switch.

How can we test it out yet? Have any third parties released any yet?

Don't know. Well we'll find out next week

LCfiner

best use case I’ve seen yet for allowing third party keyboards

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/12/popkey-animated-gif-keyboard/

WVGw4Jd.png

(I had originally posted this in the iphone 6 thread but realized it probably makes more sense in here.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Not for me with an iPad Air and a 5S. Hasn't worked for me once. I keep getting failure to send messages....
Ah. Okay. I've only tested incoming. I literally don't know many people without iPhones. I tested it when I was setting up two factor on Google to get the codes without getting up.

Deku Tree

Ah. Okay. I've only tested incoming. I literally don't know many people without iPhones. I tested it when I was setting up two factor on Google to get the codes without getting up.

I was also doing Google two factor texts in my iPhone yesterday. And none of them showed up on my iPad.

Very likely to have an event end of Oct for iPads, Yosemite, new iTunes. Sounds like watch, apple tv, 12 retina Mac all got pushed back from late 14 into 15. At least we should have something in the first half of 2015 unlike this year and last.

Right. They may be waiting another month or so to talk about any Beats streaming integration plans they might have, if any.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was also doing Google two factor texts in my iPhone yesterday. And none of them showed up on my iPad.
Strange. They popped right up on all my devices. I was so happy. I need to test outgoing but I literally don't know anyone without an iPhone i can send a message to. Also I'm not home right now.

RevoDS

I've tested both incoming and outgoing and both work fine somehow between my iPhone 5 and my MBPr on Yosemite PB2. Now Handoff on the other hand...

I must say though, the iOS 8 GM is about 10 times as buggy as the Yosemite beta. It's the first iPhone update I regret doing. My iPhone is basically useless as the touch screen just stops responding at least once an hour.

I can't believe it went through like this.

Edit: Oh yeah, I think you're right in fact. I checked back and a few messages in my history failed to send; that's probably those I tried to send on my Mac.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Handoff works seamlessly for me. It's instant. I just wish it would show you the URL that is going to open or the name of the phone/ipad instead of the model number. Also, a strange bug is when you open a URL from another device, it opens the sidebar as well for some reason.

Also, I haven't had any bugginess on my 5C or iPad mini. What do you have?

RevoDS

Handoff works seamlessly for me. It's instant. I just wish it would show you the URL that is going to open or the name of the phone/ipad instead of the model number. Also, a strange bug is when you open a URL from another device, it opens the sidebar as well for some reason.

Also, I haven't had any bugginess on my 5C or iPad mini. What do you have?

The touchscreen just randomly stops responding to anything until I put it to sleep and open it again. No specific app, it just happens anywhere but it seems to happen slightly more often in games. It's a huge pain in the ass and happens more or less once every hour.

Never had a single issue before updating to iOS 8.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The touchscreen just randomly stops responding to anything until I put it to sleep and open it again. No specific app, it just happens anywhere but it seems to happen slightly more often in games. It's a huge pain in the ass and happens more or less once every hour.

Never had a single issue before updating to iOS 8.
What do you have?

LCfiner

Got iOS 8 on the iPad Air. I didn't realize it at first but the Safari title bar now shrinks away to just page name when scrolling up - like on iPhone.

You have to tap or scroll down to reveal it again.

I think that's a good move. It's three rows of items that take up a decent amount of space and now there's more left for page content.

So far, Safari page handover from Mac to iOS works well. And I got airdrop working after some reboots. Also got promoted for a phone call handover to Mac but forgot to test it out. I just used the phone.

Overall, I find ios 8 runs at the same speed as 7 on both the iPhone 5 and iPad air. I wonder if third party extensions and widgets will potentially cause things to slow down a bit. Maybe just on the iPhone? Hopefully not.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I haven't even tried AirDrop yet. I never liked it Mac to Mac because you needed to accept it on the other side anyway so it was useless to me with my server that Im not going to be actually on anyway so I would use DropBox or network anyway.

How does AirDrop work Mac to iOS?

Also, I would jump right on iCloud Drive if someone put out an app that would let me browse and view all the files in it in a folder structure. It's the only thing holding me on DropBox right now. I have all my image files in my DropBox and it's super useful. But they're not photos so it doesn't make sense to treat them like photos. I'd also like to put all my text files in there too and view or edit them from my iOS devices.

Ninja Dom

iOS 8 iPhone users, what happens when you get a call from somebody in your Contacts with their picture in?? How does the display look?

Is it like this? Sorry for the cropped image.
Better_zps5e6b70f9.jpg

I'm on iOS7 7 still on my 5S and I have never had incoming call contacts displayed full screen like above.

Deku Tree

iOS 8 iPhone users, what happens when you get a call from somebody in your Contacts with their picture in?? How does the display look?

Better_zps5e6b70f9.jpg

I'm on iOS7 7 still on my 5S and I have never had incoming call contacts displayed full screen like above.

I don't know how to do that... the contacts picture is usually a low res circular picture.

Ninja Dom

I don't know how to do that... the contacts picture is usually a low res circular picture.

Yeah, same here. Always has been. I don't think it was back on iOS 6 that we had fullscreen incoming call pictures.

Now this is a daily occurrence using Safari in Yosemite PB2. And I got today's error simply browsing the Apple website, of all places.

Safari_zps4f4dc39a.jpg

Deku Tree

So is it possible to set up my phone to share my whole photo stream automatically with my wife who has a different iCloud account in iOS8? If yes, does anyone know who to do it? Thanks!

giga

Better_zps5e6b70f9.jpg

It looks just like that. Just use a high quality contact picture.
So is it possible to set up my phone to share my whole photo stream automatically with my wife who has a different iCloud account in iOS8? If yes, does anyone know who to do it? Thanks!
iCloud photo sharing, but you'll have to manually add photos to the album.

giga

Eh, I take a lot of photos. Right now we just share one iCloud account to get a shared photo stream... but it'd be nice if we could each have our own iCloud account and still share an automated photo stream...
Create a dropbox account and turn on auto camera upload.

Top Bottom