• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

jts

...hate me...
c4JCyoz.png

Just had this happening and freezing up all my apps. Luckily I managed to force quit Safari, the main culprit.

PB2, please. You have 8GB of RAM to work with, as much as 8 iPhones worth.

When is PB3 coming out?

LCfiner

c4JCyoz.png

Just had this happening and freezing up all my apps. Luckily I managed to force quit Safari, the main culprit.

PB2, please. You have 8GB of RAM to work with, as much as 8 iPhones worth.

When is PB3 coming out?

I had this happen to me a couple times with pb2. I reinstalled the beta and it stopped. Didn't reformat, just entered recovery mode on boot and reinstalled the beta, keeping everything else installed.

Fixed some big beta issues like this.

jts

...hate me...
probably get DP8 monday and PB3 Thursday.
Sounds great!
I had this happen to me a couple times with pb2. I reinstalled the beta and it stopped. Didn't reformat, just entered recovery mode on boot and reinstalled the beta, keeping everything else installed.

Fixed some big beta issues like this.
Good to know, thanks. If it happens again, I'll give it a try.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah. I hope PB3 comes out Thursday. It's been a long three weeks with the buggy Pb2. I almost went through the trouble of side grading to DP7 which would have required me to install DP2 first and upgrade to 7 piece by piece because for some reason it wasn't letting me upgrade in place. Come on PB3!

giga

But is there any reason to not just keep doing what I'm doing? We already have two separate Dropbox accounts. And we like looking at our photos in the apple photos app.
I guess if you're okay with having fully shared reminders, calendars, notes, keychain items, and other iCloud synced items.

Anyone running iOS 8 GM have the paid Funimation app installed? I haven't been able to get it to open since iOS 8 but I'm wondering if it's due to the OS or corrupted app data from my wonky iCloud restore.

Deku Tree

I wonder if I should install PB3 on my main machine because it is stable enough? or if I should wait because it isn't? Now that we have iOS8 I am excited to start using the continuity features...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wonder if I should install PB3 on my main machine because it is stable enough? or if I should wait because it isn't? Now that we have iOS8 I am excited to start using the continuity features...
It's not out yet. :(

You made me think it was out for some strange reason at 4AM on a Sunday morning.

Deku Tree

It's not out yet. :(

You made me think it was out for some strange reason at 4AM on a Sunday morning.

Sorry about that...

For some reason Google Calendar seems to hate PB2 and it hated PB1. I simply constantly have authentication problems with Google Calendar working with Apple Calendar and Yosemite PB...

It used to warn me about suspicious log in attempts every time I opened up Calendar or turned on the computer... then I switched to google two factor, and now it just doesn't log in and it doesn't accept my password... its very strange because if I turn off the calendar syncing then the mail app works fine...

wonder if we will get DP8/PB3 this week, or if they'll skip it because iOS 8 is out.

edit: last year Mavericks DP8 + iOS 7 where out in the same week, so looks like they will be out.

Deku Tree

iOS 8 has much better dictation… I love how it spells out the words as you're talking… I know Google's been doing that for a while.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Know what would be cool. I mean if they're not going to put Siri in OS X, would be if they used continuity and handoff to enhance Siri when using "Hey, Siri". Picture this...

You ask Siri a question. Say you ask her to set a timer. An overlay will pop up on your Mac, the one you're near because you have your phone next to it, and shows you a timer is now running on your phone. It shows the amount of time left and the time it will end. When the timer finishes, an overlay pops up again to show you the timer is finished while the phone also has its alarm going off.

Or you ask her something that requires a search. She shows you an overlay on your Mac with all the information and a link to open it in your browser.

All optional of course. I mean you look at it this way. When you use Siri normally you're looking at the phone, but if you're using Hey, Siri, you're not really looking at your phone usually. So you want as much audio feedback as possible. If they add a third layer, where it knows you're using your Mac at the same time, and shows some non-obtrusive information on the screen, it would be brilliant. Make it so it can tell if you are currently doing something or just sitting at the computer. Show a small notification or a full screen one accordingly. It would all depend on what you asked her. The timer thing could sit in the corner of the Mac while it runs on the phone for instance. And a search could open in your browser. Events could show your calendar or reminders. Basically tighter integration would be cool.

I can see big things happening in time with this stuff. I look forward to what they put in 10.11.

Futureman

PB3. Gonna download now.

My biggest issue at this point is when I restart, everything looks all funky until I log in. Like it's in a lower resolution and the colors look all weird and dithered?

Deku Tree

Alright, remember when I had that trouble and you suggested making a USB installer? Will I have to make a new installer (just in case) now that PB3 is out? Or can I use the existing installer if I run into any serious problems?

Not sure. And I remember suggesting that you make a Mavericks USB installer. Your USB installer still should work though, but it will be running PB2 and you'll have to update the computer manually to PB3 through the AppStore... or you could try making a new USB installer... up to you really.

EDIT: I made a USB installer for Mavericks when it first came out... but then I never updated it to the latest versions of Mavericks later... I also haven't every really need ed to use it fortunately...

Ninja Dom

Not sure. And I remember suggesting that you make a Mavericks USB installer. Your USB installer still should work though, but it will be running PB2 and you'll have to update the computer manually to PB3 through the AppStore... or you could try making a new USB installer... up to you really.

EDIT: I made a USB installer for Mavericks when it first came out... but then I never updated it to the latest versions of Mavericks later... I also haven't every really need ed to use it fortunately...

Yeah you did say make a Mavericks one but I only had one 8GB USB stick at the time. I also got a 64GB USB stick but didn't want to use all of that as an installer. I also specifically made installers for Lion and Mountain Lion (simply cos they were download only) previously and got lazy by the time Mavericks came out. I've also still got my Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard discs.

I'll just stick with the installer I've already made and manually update it if necessary. Once Yosemite full public release comes out I'll make a new installer.

Ninja Dom

Only updated to DP8 ten minutes ago, but already Safari seems greatly improved.

Seeing as they've been released at exactly the same time, what would the differences be between Developer Preview 8 and Public Beta 3? Would one be more advanced than the other?

GWX

Motherfucking Mac can't find the goddamn update. Been trying for an hour now, both via Terminal and App Store. Even restarted the machine and shit. Yes, I'm mad :lol.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Motherfucking Mac can't find the goddamn update. Been trying for an hour now, both via Terminal and App Store. Even restarted the machine and shit. Yes, I'm mad :lol.
Same here, I'm not getting it either. I wonder if it's a timezone-based rollout or something of the sort.

cjp

Same here, I'm not getting it either. I wonder if it's a timezone-based rollout or something of the sort.

It looks like it was temporarily pulled. People on MacRumors were commentating that their downloads got cancelled.

Anyway, It's back up now.

RedAssedApe

Banned
just started using siri hands free with my new car. works pretty well as a replacement for those who don't want to spend money on navigation.

female british siri is much easier to understand than us siri tho :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Had a little trouble installing at first. It got stuck at the "Rebooting" screen for too long so I took my chance and force shut down (I created a backup immediately before anyway.) and it didn't want to boot back up, or so I thought, but it was just taking a bit longer. Working now though.

I don't know if it was there before, but there's now an option to show the entire URL in the address box in Safari. (Yosemite PB3)

Top Bottom