• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE '12 |OT| The People's OT

blurrygil

For exhibitions you can just press x to remove on the Title mode in options. In Universe mode you have to edit superstars. Personally, I gave all the non-important titles to Vince.

I get ya. But there's no way to abandon a title altogether? Meaning, someone has to each of the what, 15 different straps? Cmon THQ... :p

Tendo

Some people keep mentioning DLC splitting online, I'm confused how that works. My buddy also got the game. If I buy Macho man later and he doesn't, does that mean we can't play online together, even if I don't use Macho in the match?

I'm tempted to get Fan Axxess...Cheaper DLC and the stat customizer seems cool and it'll save me time getting unlocks. Any ideas if it ends up being worth it? I hate Zack Ryder being rated 75. Obviously gotta be just a point higher than Ziggler :)

Some people keep mentioning DLC splitting online, I'm confused how that works. My buddy also got the game. If I buy Macho man later and he doesn't, does that mean we can't play online together, even if I don't use Macho in the match?

I'm tempted to get Fan Axxess...Cheaper DLC and the stat customizer seems cool and it'll save me time getting unlocks. Any ideas if it ends up being worth it? I hate Zack Ryder being rated 75. Obviously gotta be just a point higher than Ziggler :)
They have everyone download a patch with all the DLC characters so you can play against them online. People just can't access them unless they buy them

Purexed

Banned
I'm very happy with WWE 12 on 360, it's not a 5.5 type of game or a 9.0 game either, I'd place somewhere in between of those extremes.

Some stream of consciousness impressions:

+ I'm impressed with the signature style and moves that the wrestlers have. The arenas and characters look very representative with only some small issues here and there with some of the character faces. In a match pitting Sin Cara against Mark Henry, I appreciated the size differential and I didn't see Sin Cara slamming and throwing Mark around like they were the same size and weight. I skipped the last few wrestling games from being bored with the SvsR formula, so this is new for me.

+ The controls are simple and easy to pick up as well. All 4 face buttons correspond to strike, grapple, irish whip, and signature/finisher moves. As others have commented, the matches have a real flow to them that is reminiscent of good WWE matches you'll see. The ebb and flow makes the action feel really great. I also like how battered opponents start to lose their speed and mobility over time. So getting the leg up and smashing on your foe seems more important than ever. Collision detection is mostly good. I've only had a few issues with some wonky animations and awkward moments in the Royal Rumble, but it's to be expected I guess. Didn't ruin the fun for me at all.

+ All the match variants really have me struggling to figure out where do I start on putting together various matches. That's a good thing, I can see myself playing this for a long time. Sure there's no Buried Alive or Casket matches, but how frequent are those anyway. I especially love the Elimination Chamber, online play in that mode is hilarious and awesome.

- The QTEs on Buried Alive and Royal Rumble need to die in a fire and go away! Beating the computer in the Royal Rumble is really easy as you can take a fresh opponent coming in and throw them out immediately from hitting like 10 straight QTE buttons within 30 seconds. If a guy is fresh, the QTEs needs to be much harder than it is right now. Was able to plow through 11 other superstars with the Long Island Ice Z with ease, one by one before others came into the ring. Maybe it'll get patched. The presentation for the Royal Rumble is really slick though, feels like you're watching the real thing.

- The Universe mode is annoying. Not so much that the matchups aren't interesting, but it just seems so random and incoherent. Those of you not familiar, basically the thing is like a long ongoing "season" of WWE and you can intervene and fight any matchups you want. The problem is that the "random" bits don't make sense. For instance I was fighting Beth Phoenix with Kelly Kelly and on the cusp on victory, the camera cuts to Eve running down the aisle like she was going to interfere. She just watched ringside while I got the win making me wonder what the point was. Maybe I need to play more, but the mode just seems like a random collection of matches not tied together by a decent story. I understand RTW mode is that, but I'm not running to give that reportedly atrocious mode a run.

- The creation station stuff is cool, but from downloading one of the WCW Thunder arenas, I was especially disappointed by the pixelation and graininess of the ring logos and side aprons. Not sure if I just downloaded a bad creation, but it wasn't pretty. When the servers are up later today, hopefully I can find more created arenas to see if the thunder thing was an anomaly. The Kurt Angle that was available to download was a good version, but he didn't have any theme music.

+ Online seems solid enough. Didn't have any problems with lag or stuttering, and it appears there's a nice ranking system so you can get a sense for how strong your competition is. I think the best fun will be had in matches with at least 4 people though. It's far too easy to run into a cheeseball in 1-on-1 matches that exploits the game and takes the fun out of it. One guy's Brock Lesnar in particular was a super cheese ball doing the same move over and over.

+/- I'm still iffy on the countering system. There are times when it registers as it should, and other times where I'm not getting the reversals I think I'm nailing. It might tie into character ratings, but I'm not 100% sure. Online, the reversals seem really random, but I'm giving it a pass for now until I can make sure it's not me.

As someone that has played a few next-gen wrestlers (SvsR 08, Legends of Wrestlemania, All Stars), this is easily the best effort yet. The roster is huge, the core gameplay seems tight, and I'm having a lot of fun after playing for a day. Add Professa Skillz on X360 and we can get some matches going in stuff like Elimination Chamber and Elimination Tag matches!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you're having the mat glitch, it's Undertaker's intro. He breaks the mat every time. Resetting the xbox will fix it

Striker

EDIT: Ahahaha! Oh WOW. That is pure shit. Just looked up footage and found some stuff online
Looks like its a bit better with allowing strike counters into moves, but seriously? Seriously? No way. I'm out. I'm glad you guys are having fun, but they didn't really change a whole helluva lot here and it'll take a major overhaul before I head back in.
Looks like they didn't fix a thing I mentioned.
Yeah, it's really annoying fighting in a fourway or something involving more than two guys squaring off usually. On one hand, you'll be chain grappling somebody, and some asswhipe will come from behind or to the side to punch and completely erase any trouble you've tried to put forth. I can see Yukes did a semi-decent job enabling users to pull off chain grapples from the four key positions, but you see still WAY too many jerks who abuse running moves and the simple knock down, pick 'em up, groggy grapple, rinse and repeat. Gets heavily boring and makes some matches a waste of time.

And I got it for $40, so it wasn't an entire purchase. Without that coupon I wasn't buying it.

JdFoX187

Banned
Damn, RTWM is wayyyy too long. Too many tag matches too. At least nobody tries to break up pins, which is a huge improvement.
How long does it go? I'm just past Survivor Series and I'm really getting irritated by going through these matches only to have everything that I did mean absolutely nothing. Spend 10 minutes beating down Big Show only for him to pop up in a cutscene and destroy me. Stupid.

How long does it go? I'm just past Survivor Series and I'm really getting irritated by going through these matches only to have everything that I did mean absolutely nothing. Spend 10 minutes beating down Big Show only for him to pop up in a cutscene and destroy me. Stupid.
I just finished the Villain story line, and it ends at wrestlemania. It's 6 months per person.

cacophony

Just played my first math. Punk vs Bourne, won by an Anaconda Vice submission.

It felt great, I still need to figure out the controls and what does what but the match flowed pretty well even with me not knowing what the hell I was doing.

I can't believe so many people are complaining about the reversal system. I had no problem with it, you just have to be patient and have the instinct to hit it just right before 'RT' pops up. I guess the people complaining are the ones who just smash it 10 times trying to get lucky.

Also, you're supposed to tap A during a submission right? I did but I wasn't sure if it was necessary. And how do you do your different finishers? I was trying to do a GTS but it did the AV both times.

Striker

Just played my first math. Punk vs Bourne, won by an Anaconda Vice submission.

It felt great, I still need to figure out the controls and what does what but the match flowed pretty well even with me not knowing what the hell I was doing.

I can't believe so many people are complaining about the reversal system. I had no problem with it, you just have to be patient and have the instinct to hit it just right before 'RT' pops up. I guess the people complaining are the ones who just smash it 10 times trying to get lucky.

Also, you're supposed to tap A during a submission right? I did but I wasn't sure if it was necessary. And how do you do your different finishers? I was trying to do a GTS but it did the AV both times.

GTS might be up, down, left, or right on the stick plus A. The first finisher would just be A.

Damn it! I knew I should have gotten this game with the $10 credit promotion on Amazon. Any other sites offering any incentive before I hit the purchase button on Amazon?

Is there a limit on downloaded CAWS/Arenas this year? I'm so tempted to get this game just so I can download all the wrestlers from the 80s and 90s that I know from when I used to watch wrestling religiously.

Can you get out of the Hell in a Cell in this one? Also I downloaded The Rock and dont see him, what do? Do I need to activate the online pass to see him?

Oh shit. I'm really liking this game after a couple of matches. Tempted to stick with it and grab the Fan Axxess pack. Do we know all the DLC characters coming out?

GBONZZZZ

How's the CAW?? Does it stack up to Raw 2 on the original Xbox? To be more precise, can I finally pick first and last names for the announcer to say, or is still "The Superstar"? And what's the ring attire selection like, lot's of designs to use?

This is probably the only thing stopping me from buying the game, I hated the lack of selection in CAW mode.

The Spiderman CAW's finishers made me and my friend cry, I bought the game right after the match. I had no intentions of even playing this game ever. Im sooo happy.

Yeah, this just popped up on my radar and the guy I most want to play is a preorder DLC. Unless there's another way to get him I won't be picking this up.

Its just like other limited editions. Its suppose to be a preorder thing, but its more of a "first batch" thing. All you need to do is find one selling copies with the Rock sticker on the cover, I cant imagine that being too hard to find.

That said, Im loving the game. Putting on good matches, losing half of them. My only gripe is the countering. There's times where I feel like I have it down pat, and then the next match I get steamrolled by endless moves and feel like I have no idea what the game wants.

So I paid for the unlock all DLC and HBK. Hopefully I'll be able to just pick and choose my DLC content later as well.

Game is fantastic. A lot better than the last few years. Really enjoying Universe Mode and setting up my own matches. It's too bad you can't schedule other events on the days with no WWE Show. I think I'm going to switch Superstars to TNA Impact just as soon as I can download that arena and some CAWS. Very well done.

Its just like other limited editions. Its suppose to be a preorder thing, but its more of a "first batch" thing. All you need to do is find one selling copies with the Rock sticker on the cover, I cant imagine that being too hard to find.

That said, Im loving the game. Putting on good matches, losing half of them. My only gripe is the countering. There's times where I feel like I have it down pat, and then the next match I get steamrolled by endless moves and feel like I have no idea what the game wants.
Hrm. I'll try this on Friday, thanks.

The countering is the exact same for me. Might have a lot to do with player ratings.

cacophony

Yeah the ease of countering seems to change quite a bit depending on the opponent. I was playing against Edge and he was countering EVERYTHING. It got pretty annoying.

Qatar

the reversing thing has been annoying since the previous game, is not easy to reverse, while the cpu reverses easily, specially superstars with high stats
before 2011, I win easily on Legendary difficulty, and now it's hard to win on normal. I need to get used to this.

Jamie OD

Is there a limit on downloaded CAWS/Arenas this year? I'm so tempted to get this game just so I can download all the wrestlers from the 80s and 90s that I know from when I used to watch wrestling religiously.

I think you can have 50 CAWs in total, including ones you make and ones you download.

blurrygil

I think you're limited to 50 CAWs, like last year.

Arenas and such, not sure.

Can you get out of the Hell in a Cell in this one? Also I downloaded The Rock and dont see him, what do? Do I need to activate the online pass to see him?

Yes, the same way it's triggered as last year. There's an area of the cage that can be destroyed with a triggered grapple move. Once done, you can do as you like.

How's the CAW?? Does it stack up to Raw 2 on the original Xbox? To be more precise, can I finally pick first and last names for the announcer to say, or is still "The Superstar"? And what's the ring attire selection like, lot's of designs to use?

This is probably the only thing stopping me from buying the game, I hated the lack of selection in CAW mode.

It's all subjective. Depends on how much you want/expect. Personally, I think there's more than enough to satisfy. I get to do my own feds based on my friends, so I think it's amazing for CAWs. There's even more offered this year, along with a Threads Creation mode now.

Yeah, this just popped up on my radar and the guy I most want to play is a preorder DLC. Unless there's another way to get him I won't be picking this up.

If you buy the game new, his code is right in the box. Preorder not required.

Can anyone get online? I want to DL some created stuff.

Sadly, it's been busted since day one. We all got to wait it out. You can try repeatedly to get on during non-traffic hours...but good luck regardless.

blurrygil

FOUND A WAY TO VACATE THE TITLES

Go to Options, from the Main Menu. It's all under Title Settings.

I cannot believe I missed this.

But how does Yukes not allow this to be done in Universe Mode's Superstar Editor?!? Guh.

Toki767

Started playing RTWM with Jacob Cass. I actually like the moveset they gave him. Even has a brainbuster finisher ala Austin Aries lol

Top Bottom