• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE '12 |OT| The People's OT

Ithil said:
I no longer trust anything IGN says on wrestling games. They're consistently talked bullshit about them for years now.

I'll wait for others to review it first.

I can definitely see why, Greg Miller usually always reviews Smackdown, but someone else did this review.

Chopper

Ithil said:
Basically you'd like one of the "booking games" like Total Extreme Wrestling (great game), but with an actual gameplay section for matches (the booking games are all menus)?
Tell me more.

Mr. Sam

Ithil said:
Basically you'd like one of the "booking games" like Total Extreme Wrestling (great game), but with an actual gameplay section for matches (the booking games are all menus)?

Sort of, yeah. I'd like a game where I play as, say, Randy Orton and have control over my career. Like, I take a shit in AJ Lee's purse and then Vince comes up to me and is all, "Son, you've got moxy! You're the sort of up and coming star this company needs. You're facing Mark Henry for the title tonight and you're going over."

Or, more seriously, I'm playing as Mark Henry and Vince comes up to me and is like, "You're facing Daniel Bryan tonight. You might be winning, but make him look great." Then I no-sell all of Bryan's offense, botch the World's Strongest Slam, injuring Bryan, and then I job to Randy Orton the next week as a result of my incompetence.

Or something in that general area. I know it's a complete fantasy and would never happen in a million years, but it's a really intriguing idea to me.

Oh, and regarding that IGN review:

A wrestling story is only as good as the wrestlers involved, and WWE '12 offers a spectacular roster. The game contains well over 60 superstars, featuring a healthy mix of icons past and present. From The Rock to the Undertaker to Bryan Danielson, the range of talent is impressive, and that's to say nothing of the DLC, which will eventually add legends like Mick Foley.

Richard George just outed himself as a smark.

Ithil

Mr. Sam said:
Sort of, yeah. I'd like a game where I play as, say, Randy Orton and have control over my career. Like, I take a shit in AJ Lee's purse and then Vince comes up to me and is all, "Son, you've got moxy! You're the sort of up and coming star this company needs. You're facing Mark Henry for the title tonight and you're going over."

Or, more seriously, I'm playing as Mark Henry and Vince comes up to me and is like, "You're facing Daniel Bryan tonight. You might be winning, but make him look great." Then I no-sell all of Bryan's offense, botch the World's Strongest Slam, injuring Bryan, and then I job to Randy Orton the next week as a result of my incompetence.

Or something in that general area. I know it's a complete fantasy and would never happen in a million years, but it's a really intriguing idea to me.
Well, Total Extreme Wrestling is a little like that, but you're the owner/booker, rather than a wrestler. You can indeed do stuff like order one wrestler to be protected in a match, or for it to be a squash, or whatever. It's really freaking hard, though, there's an insane amount of things to keep track of of manage.

I'd love a big budget version with full gameplay in the ring and a licence for WWE, too. Never going to happen, though, the closest we got was GM mode in SVR 2006/2007, and that was still in kayfabe and baby pool shallow compared to the text based games.

Chopper said:
Tell me more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Warfare
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/home.php

It's a series of text/menu based booking games. You run a wrestling company, and try to make it the biggest out there (or start as the biggest one already, your choice). You've got to manage the company, the marketing, the wrestlers, the shows, the stories, etc. Very, very deep, and very challenging/time consuming.

The obviously don't have a licence from any actual companies, so it's a made up universe used, but a very large, well developed one. Plus there's mods to let you use WWE or TNA (book it right this time) wrestlers anyway.

Some of the stuff makes me laugh, like in the third most popular promotion, which I usually play, there's some old wrestlers that you basically can't get rid of because they're friends with your oldest stars, and have loads of backstage influence. They are, of course, crap in the ring and on the mic and no use to you at all. Or when I try to build a new star, and am doing well, I put him in a feud with the oldest star there, and of course I try to make it even, but then any time I try to make the up and comer the victor in their matches, the older guy blocks it with creative control and refuses to lose in any way.

Just made me laugh a lot. It's spot on.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I enjoy the smackdown games even in spite of the numurous flaws. Despite what THQ is insisting, I expect this game to play JUST like the last ones. If its more in the vein of DOR1/2 where everything has a bit more weight to it, then great, but I don't expect it.

Ferny

Liquidsnake said:
There is a chance I will be getting this today. I will post some impressions if I do get it.

Hyped. Please don't disappoint me!!!!
Nice! It already looks good enough that im going to be getting it anyway, but please do post impressions if you do get it.

Liquidsnake said:
There is a chance I will be getting this today. I will post some impressions if I do get it.

Hyped. Please don't disappoint me!!!!

Might try to grab it today myself. I have it on preorder at EB but I kind of want to give it a shot today.

Kaladin

DoctorWho said:
Nowhere officially. Just find a mom & pop store that breaks street date.

Ah. I don't have any of those around here. I'll just wait till Tuesday then....thanksgiving holidays with Skyrim and breaks of WWE '12 will be awesome.

dreamfall

My hype level is getting wild. If this controls like HCTP, it will become the new go-to wrestling title for awhile. Not entirely sure how I feel about the QuickTime comeback events though...

Edit: And I asked before, but did anyone preorder Special Edition on THQ store? Any update on your shipping status?

Kaladin

NubInaTub said:
That is an amazing ot title. Bravo sir.

Thank you, it wasn't that difficult to come up with.

I think what I'm looking forward to most is the Universe mode. That is where I had most of my fun last year. It had it's flaws but as a basic storyline/feud generator it was awesome. I had a Daniel Bryan CAW feud with HBK for the title on RAW after he won MITB, and I had the legend Terry Funk trade Smackdown's title back and forth with Triple H for about half a year on Smackdown. One year, I had Undertaker wrestle 3 times on Mania and he won all three. First, he wrestled Big Show for no apparent reason other than to do it, second he defended the tag titles w/Kane and third he defended the RAW title vs Cena I think.

That mode is just all kinds of fun. This year with the extra customization, I'm turning RAW into WCW Monday Nitro and I'm going to make a Ring of Honor arena and turn Smackdown into Ring of Honor. You can imagine my ideas for the starting rosters. :)

Backflip

WWE 12 deserves nowhere near a 9. I wrote my review last week but we have to wait until the 25th (unlike IGN) to put it online...

DMczaf

WWE 12 deserves nowhere near a 9. I wrote my review last week but we have to wait until the 25th (unlike IGN) to put it online...

You mean this Marky Ass Mark was a straight up mark?

124532_512x288_generated.jpg

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Less than... Also, I should point out that my review will be in French as I write for a French website. But I'll also be able to talk freely about the game on GAF.

Strange that your embargo is the 25th, the UK embargo is the 22nd, but then THQ have been funny with embargos lately.

I'm not expecting it to be amazing. Always cynical that a wrestling game could mark higher than an 8. However, its the first one I'll have bought for a while so I'm hoping it feel somewhat 'new'.

Seems like you get what you put into it too, which will be decent.

Sweeper17

Neo Member
I liked Legends of Wrestlmania thats the best game they put out even tho it was kinda average everything else made it great

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Less than... Also, I should point out that my review will be in French as I write for a French website. But I'll also be able to talk freely about the game on GAF.

Uh, saying it doesn't deserve a 9 seems like it would be breaking embargo.

Ultratech

We could have a Voice of the Voiceless edition if the company could book worth a shit

I'll take the Austin 3:16 edition where it comes with copious amounts of ass-kicking. Also comes with Beer and accompanying "What?" chants. And Debra's cookies if you beg enough.

Ok so I haven't followed wrestling in years, but the Rock is wrestling again?

YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT THIS

The stuff the happened in June/July with CM Punk was the stuff that could have brought people back to wrestling - it was new, interesting and at times exciting. This Rock stuff is them scraping the bottom of the barrel again - looking back into the past.

cacophony

I'm really on the fence about this. It looks good but the animations look fucking terrible.

Target will have it for $47 + a $10 GC... hmmm

Araxen

Banned
I'm tempted to get this because Demolition is in it but I'm afraid it's more of THQ wrestling suckiness. Does it have No Mercy controls? I honestly don't know why any wrestling game strays away from what is considered the pinnacle of wrestling game nirvana.

I do also miss the Fire Pro series. I always like the mode where you can actually work a match and get graded on it which is what wrestling really is!

styl3s

Been playing it all day and it's defiantly my favorite wrestling game, i am sure the no mercy fanboys will shit on it but nothing will ever meet their expectations even though no mercy was flawed in many ways including the actual wrestling mechanics.

It's still arcade'ish but it feels more fluid and tight and i really like the limb target system they put in where when you grapple you can target limbs, it still has problems but it defiantly feels "new" you can tell they made a ton of changes and i am actually excited to see where it goes from here because it's a really fun game i don't care much for the story mode which isn't a surprise since it never was really good but they improved the "GM" mode a lot, it's still got the issues that will most likely never be "fixed" in a wrestling game like the recovery rate or announcing and i really don't care for the punching/kicking sounds.. they sound like they are soundbites from a 70s B action film.

I will probably get thrown under the bus for thinking this is my favorite wrestling game but so be it, it's an opinion and i still think no mercy is overrated and people only keep it on a pedestal out of nostalgia, NM was a great game 10+ years ago but let it go, you won't get a NM2 and the closest you ever got was the early GC wrestling games.

I just hope in WWE '13 they continue to take the sim route and push it further, some animation is still a tad wonky but no where near as bad as last years.

I'm really on the fence about this. It looks good but the animations look fucking terrible.

Target will have it for $47 + a $10 GC... hmmm
I thought the same thing until i actually played it, some times it can get a bit wonky but if any other smackdown game didn't put you off this wont because its few and far between, it's 1000000x more fluid and less wonky then SDVR '11

anyone else think its a bit weird this game doesnt have any of that twitter/facebook spam "I just won the WWE championship in WWE 12 the video game" stuff?

Top Bottom