• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Royal Rumble '17 |OT| Follow The Buzzers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestal

Said it in the OT, but I think Roman's booking at the end of the Rumble was 100% by design. They knew there was a possibility that fans might shit on an Orton win, so they had Reigns go out and eliminate all the fan favorites (and be in a big surprise spot that the crowd wanted others in) so that Orton was sure to get a pop when he eliminated him last.

Either way, Orton vs. Bray for the title at Mania is gonna suck.

You didn't need reigns.. Put Samoa Joe in that spot, have Orton and Joe out there last, and have them go at it for 5min.. Maybe cost Joe the match cause of Bray interference.

Then you setup Bray vs Joe....

I like Harper's moment, Ellsworth and Gallagher the rest of the rumble was boring as was every other match on the card.

I had low expectations for Takeover and I ended up really enjoying the show. I had low expectations for the Rumble and it still managed to disappoint.

Also it's obviously Cena/Orton and Bray/Harper at WM.

Heroman

Banned
I agree. A show full of indy stars with no mic skills did drive away the fans who did show up when a real star like Batista returned and those casual fans saw him tossed away for a guy who looks like he works for a co-op independent grocery store.
Is this a work?

I agree. A show full of indy stars with no mic skills did drive away the fans who did show up when a real star like Batista returned and those casual fans saw him tossed away for a guy who looks like he works for a co-op independent grocery store.

It's funny that every "real star" is from a decade plus ago.

Almost like the problem isn't the guys, but the company trying to promote them.

shanafan

Ok, must I point you to the 1995 Royal Rumble? If you think this is the worst Rumble ever you must have only seen like, 2 of them. 2015 was certifiably worse than this too. This was 1995:

Shawn Michaels
British Bulldog
Eli Blu
Duke "The Dumpster" Droese
Jimmy Del Ray
Sione
Tom Prichard
Doink
Kwang
Rick Martel
Owen Hart
Timothy Well
Bushwacker Luke
Jacob Blu
King Kong Bundy
Mo
Mabel
Bushwacker Butch
Lex Luger
Mantaur
Aldo Montoya
Henry Godwinn
Billy Gunn
Bart Gunn
Bob Backlund
Steven Dunn
Dick Murdoch
Adam Bomb
Fatu
Crush

tumblr_mcs6oshPEF1rqoq0po1_500.jpg

Nope, "2016 is still the worst Rumble ever because my speculated roster of entrants didn't happen".

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Said it in the OT, but I think Roman's booking at the end of the Rumble was 100% by design. They knew there was a possibility that fans might shit on an Orton win, so they had Reigns go out and eliminate all the fan favorites (and be in a big surprise spot that the crowd wanted others in) so that Orton was sure to get a pop when he eliminated him last.

He's not a good guy!

He's not a bad guy!

He's the fall guy!

Rellik

Probably going to cancel the network tomorrow. Been on the fence for a while after the rumours for WM looked like shit and this Rumble definitely confirmed them. Not even going to waste my time with WM this year.

I don't blame you. I stopped watching Raw and SmackDown and I'm close to not watching PPVs now when we get crap like what we just got.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Feel like I'm in bizarro land. Go watch most old rumbles, they're not great. The matches are generally underwhelming because the entire concept is designed to be. This wasn't top 5 or anything but the match itself was in the top half. Ending really did suck though.

No, it's 50/50.

Yes, the booking sucks, but it's also a roster full of guys who spent a decade how to have ***** matches, but never learned how to do ***** promos. The truth is, when Goldberg can come back and be the best babyface in the company on the mic in five minutes, it's not all Evil Vince.

Eanan

I guess we're going to have Bray vs. Harper over the next month or so until the predictable turn happens of Randy's only goal being to destroy the Wyatt family from the inside. Then you can set up the blood feud between Orton and Bray from there.

It could work I guess.

But to be honest, who actually gives an F. Both are out and out heels. And at mania for a title. No thanks.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
It would be nice if they used their part time stars to give the rub to current roster people. Instead of all of them being untouchable. Basically admitting your product is inferior to what it used to be.

ReiGun

Nope. It's totally the guys fault that the company books them in terrible storylines, never gives them any big moments, and constantly promotes part timers and "legends" over them. Nope, it's not like WWE does nothing to set current talent up for success.

No, it's 50/50.

Yes, the booking sucks, but it's also a roster full of guys who spent a decade how to have ***** matches, but never learned how to do ***** promos. The truth is, when Goldberg can come back and be the best babyface in the company on the mic in five minutes, it's not all Evil Vince.

It is when you hand them a script full of unnatural dialog that wouldn't get anyone over in a million years.

Heroman

Banned
No, it's 50/50.

Cause Goldberg wasn't given WWE shitty scripts.

I personally enjoyed the entire show. If it is Bray vs Orton I will be disappointed, if they would get Styles vs Orton that is a show closing, show stealing main event that would deliver even with a rushed build.

They set up Roman perfectly for a feud with Strowman and then threw the Undertaker curveball. Who does Strowman work with now?

I like how they just flat out embraced Roman as a heel tonight, eliminating the most beloved figure in the industry and then having him talk shit to him. Just keep embracing it and let him be the biggest heel on Raw like we all want!!

Still think Jericho should have won for storyline purposes, it would create a natural rift in the relationship with Owens that won't have to be overbooked by WWE creative.

Ok, must I point you to the 1995 Royal Rumble? If you think this is the worst Rumble ever you must have only seen like, 2 of them. 2015 was certifiably worse than this too. This was 1995:

Shawn Michaels
British Bulldog
Eli Blu
Duke "The Dumpster" Droese
Jimmy Del Ray
Sione
Tom Prichard
Doink
Kwang
Rick Martel
Owen Hart
Timothy Well
Bushwacker Luke
Jacob Blu
King Kong Bundy
Mo
Mabel
Bushwacker Butch
Lex Luger
Mantaur
Aldo Montoya
Henry Godwinn
Billy Gunn
Bart Gunn
Bob Backlund
Steven Dunn
Dick Murdoch
Adam Bomb
Fatu
Crush

Yeah but 1995 was short and had HBK and Bulldog doing the from #1 and #2 to the last two story

It was all about HBK vs Bulldog... it told a fucking story.

I agree with everything here.
Work has the site blocked, the country's gone mad which has made my day job tougher, and I've been too busy to keep up weekly.

Though Orton winning isn't getting me hyped to catch up.
Ah damn man. Well, at least you get to see Roman murder an old man.
You didn't need reigns.. Put Samoa Joe in that spot, have Orton and Joe out there last, and have them go at it for 5min.. Maybe cost Joe the match cause of Bray interference.

Then you setup Bray vs Joe....
This makes no sense. Why put a new guy in that spot?

Brinbe

So we have
Lesnar vs Goldberg
Reigns vs Taker
Owens vs Jericho
Orton vs Wyatt
Shaq vs Big Show
AJ vs Shane
Triple H vs Rollins
Battle Royal

Some more garbage

Toki767

I personally enjoyed the entire show. If it is Bray vs Orton I will be disappointed, if they would get Styles vs Orton that is a show closing, show stealing main event that would deliver even with a rushed build.

They set up Roman perfectly for a feud with Strowman and then threw the Undertaker curveball. Who does Strowman work with now?

I like how they just flat out embraced Roman as a heel tonight, eliminating the most beloved figure in the industry and then having him talk shit to him. Just keep embracing it and let him be the biggest heel on Raw like we all want!!

Still think Jericho should have won for storyline purposes, it would create a natural rift in the relationship with Owens that won't have to be overbooked by WWE creative.
You act like it isn't going to end with Undertaker showing respect for Reigns.

orioto

Good Art™
The saddest part of that rumble is that everyone will be so busy to complain about the end and wank about AJ/Cena that the Owens match will be forgotten in oblivion. And even the recap of the match will only show Stroman interfering i guess -_-

Owens died for nothing.

Then perhaps these great mic workers should stop playing video games and posting their lunch on Instagram and like Punk, say, "fuck you, I'm not saying this BS Vince."

Which is probably what Goldberg did. Because he has balls.

They'd just lose their TV time if they did that.

Chopper

I still can't believe that Reigns was #30.

Every year. So much potential wasted.

I was so ready to mark out for Angle, amd the complete opposite happened.

Fuck you Vince.

Heroman

Banned
Then perhaps these great mic workers should stop playing video games and posting their lunch on Instagram and like Punk, say, "fuck you, I'm not saying this BS Vince."

Which is probably what Goldberg did. Because he has balls.
No , because he only with the company for like 4 days a year and is already a star.

Sephzilla

This honestly deflates my interest in Wrestlemania a ton. Orton has had a decent year but he's just such a safe uninspired pick at this point. This rumble had so much potential

VoxPop

Mantaur has more charisma than 25 of the people that were in the Rumble.

You'll always remember Mantaur.

Unlike that homeless guy who pretends to be looney and whatever other spot monkeys the IWC fawns over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom