• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Royal Rumble '17 |OT| Follow The Buzzers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

What's considered the most entertaining RR? watched the one where Cena comes back at the Garden... it was alright.

2004 probably has the best combination of action/story/roster. Obviously because of who it's centered around, it's not promoted by WWE, but it's the best one they've done.

Tall4Life

Man, the 1995 Rumble is the drizzling shits so far. Previous Rumbles had quite a few jobbers but this is literally all jobbers so far.

EDIT: Haha holy shit. So there were legit 3 main eventers in the entire match. HBK, Bulldog, and Luger. And then Crush was also in the final four. Im not even exaggerating here, that was DREADFUL

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
We're doing predictions? Alrighty.

WWE Raw Tag Team Championship

Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson vs Cesaro & Sheamus (c)

I think the Club is due for a push this year and will probably get the belts at some point, but I really don't see them passing the belts on a pre-show match.

Nia Jax vs Sasha Banks

Sasha has been pushed heavily over the last couple of years, it's Nia's turn.

Becky Lynch, Nikki Bella and Naomi vs Alexa Bliss, Mickie James and Natalya

I don't think they brought Mickie James back to immediately lose on PPV. Shenanigans will happen and the heels will win.

WWE Cruiserweight Championship
Neville vs Rich Shawnn (c)

Neville is the biggest draw in the Cruiserweight division, they'd be mad not to put the belt on him.

WWE Raw Women's Championship

Bayley vs Charlotte (c)

Yawn.

WWE World Heavyweight Championship
John Cena vs AJ Styles (c)

I want AJ to win so bad, but he won't, cause it's Cena.

WWE Universal Championship
Roman Reigns vs Kevin Owens (c)

So they didn't take the US belt away from Reigns because they're done pushing him, they were clearing the way for him to get the Jam Belt. What I think will happen is Jericho will get raised in the cage wearing the US Championship, during the match he'll drop it into the ring for Kevin to use as a weapon, will miss, Reigns will catch it and knock KO out with it. This will set up KO vs. Jericho feud over the US belt and gives their stupid big fancy boy Reigns their biggest RAW title.

The Royal Rumble Match

I really have no idea, the lineup for this rumble is actually really interesting and it could go any of a bunch of ways. I just hope Meltzer isn't right about Orton.

Sheamus and Cesaro vs Gallows and Anderson
It's a pre-show match and it's Gallows and Anderson. The belt isn't being dropped. I'm expecting Enzo and Cass vs Sheamus and Cesaro to be the set Wrestlemania feud.

Nia Jax vs Sasha Banks
The match will be fun at least for Sasha bumping like a madwoman for Nia.

Becky Lynch, Nikki Bella and Naomi vs Alexa Bliss, Mickie James and Natalya
The heels will win. I can maybe see this leading to an elimination chamber match featuring all six of these women.

AJ Styles vs John Cena
Cena will lose, but it won't be clean. AJ will cheat likely, or Samoa Joe runs in and gets the match thrown out on a DQ. Alternatively AJ cheats to win, leaves, Cena's in the ring moping when Joe comes down.

Roman Reigns vs Kevin Owens
Jericho comes down from the cage or tosses something down to help Owens that won't be illegal since it's no DQ, Owens uses it, Pop-Up Powerbomb, 1-2-3. Owens loses the belt to someone at Fastlane because of Jericho to set up their feud for Wrestlemania.

Neville vs Rich Swann.
The Cruiserweight belt is just being tossed around to anyone every month so I expect Neville to win it.

Bayley vs Charlotte
Bayley loses, probably from Charlotte cheating. My fantasy booking includes Emmalina finally debuting when the match is over.

Royal Rumble Match. Winner is Sami Zayn
LET'S GO!

Roman Reigns vs Kevin Owens

Royal Rumble Match. Winner is Sami Zayn
LET'S GO!

1d75c91abc3a1086fbc2bc5f010f59d9a6b15710_hq.gif

What's considered the most entertaining RR? watched the one where Cena comes back at the Garden... it was alright.

Its either 1992 or 2004. 2004 had Benoit as #1 and he went all the way, and its pretty fuckin amazing action/story/comedy/roster wise, but because its Benoit you'll never see it acknowledged. 1992 is the gold standard, with Ric Flair coming in at #3 and he and the rest of the booking being basically perfect for like a hour.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It definitely doesn't feel like Sami's time to me, but Vince did say he wants a 5 star Mania headliner and there are only 2 wrestlers in the company capable of it and one of them isn't even in the rumble.

Lothar

Banned
1996 and 1997 Royal Rumbles were good. 96 was the first one that played theme music for entrants. That helped out a lot.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
No he didn't.

You mean to tell me that Vince McMahon, owner of the WWE, didn't publicly and officially say that he wanted to book a match to main event Wrestlemania that noted Wrestling expert, historian and journalist Dave Meltzer would rate 5 stars (or more)?

Ithil

It definitely doesn't feel like Sami's time to me, but Vince did say he wants a 5 star Mania headliner and there are only 2 wrestlers in the company capable of it and one of them isn't even in the rumble.

Pretty sure Meltzer just said that after all the attention Omega/Okada got, WWE would probably try to book a super high quality match at WM.

sora87

I'd say there are 4, maybe 5 capable of a 5 star match if they got given the time and freedom.

As someone who listens to a bit of F4W stuff, a lot of the stuff Alvarez says is things he wants/likes/hopes to see happen. Not all of it is stuff he think (or "has heard") will happen. A lot of other sources seem to repeat stuff Alvarez says when his original intention is usually simply "I wish these WWE fuckers would create better stuff".

kunonabi

I'm a huge fan of 2000

The Cactus Jack vs HHH street fight, the Hardy Boyz vs Dudley Boyz tables match, and the Rumble were all really entertaining.

It also had Lawler constantly rewinding Taka's face plant because he thought it was just the funniest thing ever.

Just finished watching the majority of the Rumbles,a lot are a chore to sit through. But there are some great ones. Top 5!

5. 2007 - The ending with Taker and HBK is great.
4. 2001 - Wish they didn't kill Kane's elimination record.
3. 2008 - Being there live helped a lot. Bunch of cool moments.
2. 1992 - Classic. Watched it for the 2nd time ever. Too bad the WM build went to shit.
*drumroll*
1. 2004 - It's fascinating how many solid feuds branched off the match alone, you can see the WM card building one by one. This hardly happens anymore ever. Everything gets shafted to the next night on raw or the Feb PPV. Taker's tease is still epic and even Big Show put on a pretty damn good performance. I would also say this was the best WM build they did with a winner. Which could have easily been replaced if they didn't have their thumbs up their ass for D Bry.

Honorable mentions!

2005 - I refuse to believe this was a botch. If it really was, why was it so drastic to restart the fucking thing? Vince blew his quads for no reason. It's still pretty surreal watch all unfold though.
1997 - Real ass Stone Cold getting his rumble push.
1999 - I dig it. People shit on it and there is a lack of star power at this time but it's still fun for me. The idea of Vince winning is hilarious. This is also how you book a "injury" properly with Stone Cold driving back in the ambulance like a bad ass unlike last year where Roamn took a nap like a bitch.
2014/2015 - Just skip to final 4 and watch the beautiful fan fuckery.

With all that said, RR has been shit since 2009. So i'm not expecting any type of proper push. If
Orton
is winning, then they can really fuck off.

Tall4Life

Meltzer gave it 4 stars. The last one that got fours stars was 2008. the rest after 2008 were in the 3 star range with the 2015 one not getting even 1 star.

Meltzer liked it but its still vilified by much of the wrestling community just because their Antichrist Roman "Dat Guy" Reigns is front and center.

Syder

I'm showing my girlfriend the Royal Rumble, and wrestling, for the first time. We will only see the Rumble itself together (I don't want her to suffer three hours!) but it should be fun seeing how she reacts to stuff and what she thinks of the wrestlers as a totally outsider.
I hope you get lucky like me and your girl loves watching wrasslin' with you.

She thinks Tyler Breeze and HBK are the same person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom