• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 2 to get Black as well as BF: Modern Combat

according to "inside" sources (for Black)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5519

EA plans Xbox 2 versions of Battlefield: Modern Combat and Black
Rob Fahey 15:26 17/11/2004

Microsoft's console due for significant support from EA's European studios

Early details of Electronic Arts' plans for the next generation of consoles have emerged today, with Digital Illusions' Battlefield: Modern Combat confirmed to be on its way to Xbox 2, as is Criterion's Black.

Digital Illusions revealed last week that it is working on two untitled games for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 2, due for release in late 2006 or 2007, but this is the first time that the firm has confirmed that it is planning to launch a Battlefield game on a next-generation platform.

Battlefield: Modern Combat was originally meant to launch in 2004, but has been pushed back to 2005 to incorporate a single-player element, which is currently being developed at EA Studio UK's Warrington offices.

The year's delay will mean that the developers have time to build an Xbox 2 version, and this is not expected to impact the launch of the titles on other platforms, with PS2 and Xbox versions still in the works.

On a related note, sources close to the company have indicated that Criterion's promising first person shooter Black is also to have an Xbox 2 version, along with versions for the current generation consoles.

These two projects are EA's first named forays into next-generation development, and suggest that the firm's European development division - bolstered by the recent acquisition of Criterion and the likely acquisition of Digital Illusions - is leading the way on the next-gen platforms.

However, as yet, only Xbox 2 versions of the titles in question are expected, with development on PlayStation 3 still up in the air, since Sony's console is not expected to launch until at least six months after Microsoft's.

thorns

Banned
Looks like EA is fully behind xbox 2. It might be their lead platform next gen.
I would like to see how different the PS2/Xbox vs. Xbox 2 version are going to look.

Sean

Banned
I can't wait to see how Black turns out. Everyone who saw the E3 tech demo seemed to be really impressed. Didn't IGN PS2 say it looked as good as Far Cry? I remember reading that somewhere.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Confirmed(?) Xbox Next Titles So Far:

Battlefield: MC
Black
Perfect Dark 0
Halo 3
Dead or Alive 4
Vanguard
Morrowind V
Ninja Gaiden 2
Madden '06
Unreal Engine Game (Epic)
Dark Sector (from Digital Illusions)
Avalon (vehicular combat)
Heavenly Sword (think Dynasty Warriors)

Probables:

Code Chronus
BC
Fable 2
ESPN NFL 2K6
Killer Instinct
Conker 2
PGR Next
Rallisport Next
Citizen Zero MMORPG
New Banjo
New Crimson Skies
New Top Spin
Brute Force 2

joshschw

You know while normally having a really good game at launch means a lot of sales for a company, since there will be so many now I think it will backfire on them.

thorns

Banned
I wouldn't bet on PD:0, it's just best to ignore rare right now.
PGR 3 and/or some racing game from Bizarre is also coming, since they were hiring new car modellers and stuff for an XB2 game recently.

I've no idea what other first party games are going to be there.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
joshschw said:
You know while normally having a really good game at launch means a lot of sales for a company, since there will be so many now I think it will backfire on them.

You realize most of those games won't be launch titles ... right?

And from what I've heard about black it sounds really good. Got me excited. I must be one of the few who thinks next gen can't arrive soon enough.

open_mouth_ said:

Black
Perfect Dark 0
Halo 3
Dead or Alive 4
Vanguard
Morrowind V
Ninja Gaiden 2
Madden '06

Probables:

Code Chronus
BC
Fable 2
ESPN NFL 2K6
Killer Instinct
Conker 2
PGR Next
Rallisport Next
Citizen Zero MMORPG
New Banjo
New Crimson Skies
New Top Spin

Run away! The lists have started

open_mouth_ said:

Black
Perfect Dark 0
Halo 3
Dead or Alive 4
Vanguard
Morrowind V
Ninja Gaiden 2
Madden '06

Probables:

Code Chronus
BC
Fable 2
ESPN NFL 2K6
Killer Instinct
Conker 2
PGR Next
Rallisport Next
Citizen Zero MMORPG
New Banjo
New Crimson Skies
New Top Spin

Add Dark Sector, Avalon and Ninja Theory

Blimblim

The Inside Track
With the latest DiCE news, I just can't see how we might get a new Rallisport game :/
Did you list Kameo ? I'm pretty sure it will be a Xbox 2 launch title now.

open_mouth_ said:
tell me more about these games... oh yeah and there's the new Unreal engine game

Dark Sector is a futuristic Splinter Cell type game, developed by Digital Extreme I think. They released a trailer some time back.

Ninja Theory, developed by Just add monsters (I think). It’s a Dynasty Warrior type game. They also released a trailer. Looked impressive (a lot of doodz on screen and getting killed etc)

Avalon is a vehicular shooter

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Blimblim said:
With the latest DiCE news, I just can't see how we might get a new Rallisport game :/
Did you list Kameo ? I'm pretty sure it will be a Xbox 2 launch title now.

I'm sure EA will have them release a rallisport game for PS3/XB2 just because they're already so adept at it. As for Kameo, there's still a decent chance it'll be released on Xbox next year, so let's wait on that one.\

Doom_Bringer said:
Dark Sector is a futuristic Splinter Cell type game, developed by Digital Extreme I think. They released a trailer some time back.

Ninja Theory, developed by Just add monsters (I think). It’s a Dynasty Warrior type game. They also released a trailer. Looked impressive (a lot of doodz on screen and getting killed etc)

Avalon is a vehicular shooter

Were the latter 2 confirmed as coming to next-gen consoles? If so, then an Xbox Next version is all but guaranteed (Unless Sony steps in for exclusivity). Who is working on Avalon?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Doom_Bringer said:
Isn't that game Heavenly Sword ?

Sean

Banned
open_mouth_ said:
I'm sure EA will have them release a rallisport game for PS3/XB2 just because they're already so adept at it.

MS owns the RSC IP though (I think). I don't think they would allow a PS3 version.

Were the latter 2 confirmed as coming to next-gen consoles? If so, then an Xbox Next version is all but guaranteed (Unless Sony steps in for exclusivity). Who is working on Avalon?

Yes both were confirmed as next-gen titles. Climax is working on Avalon.

---

Also, Brute Force 2 was rumored in EGM a few issues back...

HS_Carnage_small.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56501

Looked impressive in motion but the frame rate was low. Probably not a launch title.

Where does this Black news come from? Gamesindustry and Eurogamer are the only sites reporting this. All american sites are talking about Battlefield but no word about Black. So is this Black story real?

Top Bottom