• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Back Compat Super Sale, starts May 16, up to 75%+ off, 275+ titles

Fox Mulder

They are backwards compatible - with the added bonus of not having to swap disks - but unfortunately, the only way to get digital copies of them is to subscribe to EA Access. It's a shame because Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (among others) show that it is possible to repackage old multi-disc games for both Xbox One and 360.

I'm not doing that. EA can really suck sometimes.

Chris1

Login on xbox.com with your MS account and it should make you choose your unique gamertag, then you should be done.

You can have different billing methods for different regions for X1, but not for X360 as purchases from the console are often region or even IP locked. You can change your region once every 3 months, but you may lose some licences, it'll completely migrate your account and you're not guaranteed you'll be able to purchase those games.

On X1 it's much easier, you just have to change the region in bottom left (I think?) and get appropriate gift cards. You can't use your Microsoft credit balance to purchase 360 games, unless you buy them through a proper 360 console. Or, if you want to get 360 DLCs, you could launch the game from X1 and buy it from the emulated 360 OS, but that's just for DLCs and rarely for games (for example, BFBC and BF1943 can be purchased from BFBC2 menu).

My tip is: stay in your own region for 360 purchases, check if it's that worth it for X1/W10 ones.

Yea don't bother with changing region of 360 it will just cause more hassle than its worth. Buy from your own region, the games are dirt cheap anyway.

Btw, is HL2 worth it if I've never played 1? I won't be lost story wise right? Looking into The Orange Box

Tapejara

Man, Microsoft makes purchasing these games so frustrating. I feel like I have to be missing something:

- There doesn't seem to be an option on the Microsoft website to add multiple games to my cart. I could buy them all individually, but there's a lot of games and some DLC I want to pick up and it'd be easier if I could just purchase everything in one transaction.

- So I decide I'll add some funds to my wallet and plug in my 360 so I can just purchase them all there. One transaction for the funds and then I can pick up the games individually.

- Except there doesn't seem to be an option to add funds to my wallet? And I have to buy a gift card instead?

- So I go to the Microsoft online store to purchase a gift card but the website keeps giving me errors, meaning I can't even buy a digital card directly from Microsoft. (Note: I can't get one off Amazon or CDKeys or a similar retailer due to me paying in CAD).

Am I missing something? Because this is really frustrating.

Not at my Xbox so cant check but is Catherine still only available in the US store? Couldn't buy it the last couple of times it was on sale as you need a credit card for the 360 store

tw1164

Not sure considering Sony has dibs on marketing and Rockstar like money. I would guess unlikely.

Has that ever happened for games with Sony marketing deals? I'd have guessed that the contract with Sony would prevent Xbox only preorder incentives.

Also I don't think Rockstar would give away one of their old games as a promotional freebie.

Thanks, I didn't realize they had a deal w/ Sony. I guess I'll go ahead and grab them.

PaulLFC

Lots of really good games here, bought quite a few to add to my BC collection.

A few baffling omissions though - no Fable Anniversary despite 2 and 3 being on sale? No Halo Reach? No Darksiders? The last one is especially frustrating, I missed it somehow when it was GWG so I was waiting to pick it up on sale.

Chris1

A few baffling omissions though - no Fable Anniversary despite 2 and 3 being on sale? No Halo Reach? No Darksiders? The last one is especially frustrating, I missed it somehow when it was GWG so I was waiting to pick it up on sale.

Fable Anniversary isn't BC. Maybe they don't wanna give way Darksiders cheap because of the remaster?

It's great that there are so many titles available. I'll be grabbing plenty of the arcade titles. Lots of SNKs best stuff is on there and some amazing schmups. Might grab a digital retail title ir twi from the list.

I see about $50 being spent in total which is a steal IMO

kuYuri

I've been looking at this list and pretty much everything I'm interested in I either already have, have already played, or own it on another system. I may just buy Army of Two just to have it digitally cause I actually enjoyed that series back then. Maybe the Black Ops 2 season pass since I didn't play much of the DLC back then, although it's a bit late to play more Black Ops 2 as I've prestige mastered it long ago.

Kill3r7

I've been looking at this list and pretty much everything I'm interested in I either already have, have already played, or own it on another system. I may just buy Army of Two just to have it digitally cause I actually enjoyed that series back then. Maybe the Black Ops 2 season pass since I didn't play much of the DLC back then, although it's a bit late to play more Black Ops 2 as I've prestige mastered it long ago.

BLOPS2 has a really healthy population right now. FWIW, it is one of the most played X1 games.

Man, Microsoft makes purchasing these games so frustrating. I feel like I have to be missing something:

- There doesn't seem to be an option on the Microsoft website to add multiple games to my cart. I could buy them all individually, but there's a lot of games and some DLC I want to pick up and it'd be easier if I could just purchase everything in one transaction.

- So I decide I'll add some funds to my wallet and plug in my 360 so I can just purchase them all there. One transaction for the funds and then I can pick up the games individually.

- Except there doesn't seem to be an option to add funds to my wallet? And I have to buy a gift card instead?

- So I go to the Microsoft online store to purchase a gift card but the website keeps giving me errors, meaning I can't even buy a digital card directly from Microsoft. (Note: I can't get one off Amazon or CDKeys or a similar retailer due to me paying in CAD).

Yeah it's pretty bad.

I plugged a USB keyboard into my 360 and searched what I wanted, pinned them, and then went one by one and bought. Still pretty annoying but at least buying there is just pressing A twice and is somehow much faster than their website.

That would not surprise me but that one isn't coming anytime soon. So come on MS, just put it on BC.

Is Rogue really that good then?

If you enjoyed the naval combat and open exploration of Black Flag you will enjoy Rogue. The setting is also different than Black Flag so it's a nice change of pace.

im_dany

Btw, is HL2 worth it if I've never played 1? I won't be lost story wise right? Looking into The Orange Box
It is, if you can go over the bad and long (IMHO) vehicle section.

If you're trying using a credit card/Paypal anyway to add funds, why not just use that for the purchases? They're still pretty fast on the website even one by one.

Not at my Xbox so cant check but is Catherine still only available in the US store? Couldn't buy it the last couple of times it was on sale as you need a credit card for the 360 store

There's a separate listing for Europe. They forgot about us for many times, but ours was on sale the last time it happened, such a shame they forgot now with such a big sale.
It has two different publishers IIRC.

Bought Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Fable 2... for some reason the digital version of DA: Origins is not available in my country... 3rd world problems I guess... still, good sale.

rapid32.5

my pics Alice the madness returns, RAGE, Dead Space 2 + 3 would have liked to add Bioshock trilogy, Fallout 3 digitally and Ghostbusters but limited budget.

Admodieus

picked up Dead Space 3, but the opening to that game makes me want to stop playing immediately. It's all action with human enemies...what happened to Dead Space?

thundr51

Kind of disappointed, absolutely nothing I'm even tempted by. But then again, the stuff I want isn't really popular. Really wanted

Rumble Roses
Bullet witch
Any Armored core
Any Ninja Gaiden

yananana

Kind of disappointed, absolutely nothing I'm even tempted by. But then again, the stuff I want isn't really popular. Really wanted

Rumble Roses
Bullet witch
Any Armored core
Any Ninja Gaiden
DOA4(only if it's cheap enough)
DOA Extreme 2(again only if it's cheap enough)

Isn't it a back compat. sale? I don't think any of these games are backwards compatible with the Xbox One. Besides, I'm not even sure they're listed on the Marketplace to begin with.

LKSmash

Buy..

King of Fighters 2002

or

King of Fighters '98

??

I need some fighting fans in here, lol. I've not played either one.

For me personally, I loved '98 but '98 is the only one where it's 2v2 instead of 3v3. You can't go wrong with either. I grabbed '98 because it's what I played growing up.

Tapejara

If you're trying using a credit card/Paypal anyway to add funds, why not just use that for the purchases? They're still pretty fast on the website even one by one.

I'll probably end up doing that. Was just worried about possibly triggering my card's fraud protection from 10+ successive purchases.

Schlorgan

Dead Space 2 huh?

Really tempted, but I kind of just want to wait until it hits EA Access.

Definitely picked up De Blob 2 for $2.99.

colinp

Banned
Hmmm, I may just buy both..I mean...it's $5 X-D.

That'd be money well spent.

I agree '98 is the better choice but they're both great and other something a bit different.

Also unless the Xbox version of 98 is different than the original it's still 3x3...

EBreda

Got a bunch of interesting games I had passed on.

- Juju to play with my 3 yo (already tried coop and it works great) along with Cars 2
- Lego Pirates and Lego Indiana Jones to play with my 7 yo along with Your Story 3
- Shadows of the Damned
- Catherine
- Joe Danger 1 & 2
- Joy Ride Turbo
- Orange Box so I can ditch my physical copy

Great sale. Might come back for a few more.

You should have just bought the collection of Darksiders 1&2 remastered it was like $20 last week.

ds8k

picked up Dead Space 3, but the opening to that game makes me want to stop playing immediately. It's all action with human enemies...what happened to Dead Space?

Dead Space 3 is a huge disappointment. I only managed to finish it by playing co-op.

I grabbed Shadows of the Damned and will probably dip back in for a few others.

the original alice worth playing first or madness first?
YMMV but, playing the original Alice frustrated me so much that I didn't even bother with the new one until much later. The new one plays so much better than the old one that it isn't worth it. They aren't even that well connected as far as I can tell, so just play the new one.

How well does The Orange Box hold up...is it worth it for someone who has never played any of those games? How difficult are the puzzles in Portal? I generally am not a puzzle person at all.

What about the Fable games for someone who has never played Fable?

I tried Alan Wake on XB1 BC which I loved on PC. I was kind of appalled by the terrible image quality/resolution to be honest. Witcher 2 has a similar problem. Meanwhile, Rayman Origins looked phenomenal on XB1 BC.

How is the IQ in The Orange Box and Fable?

Anyone?? :(

maxcriden

Rayman Legends is also on sale and BC, but it was already in the OP. Since Legends (at least on XB1?) has the best parts of origins, might be wiser to just get that instead.

But Legends (Xb1) and origins (360) have both been GWG before.. So if you haven't played them, what are you doing? Get the GWGs :p

Respectfully, I disagree that Legends would the better choice if you only buy one of the two. All versions of Legends include the same selection of Origins levels. All of the included Origins levels are made significantly easier to 100% than in Origins. Also, Legends omits some of the best Origins levels in its included levels. I mean, definitely get both if you can, but there are good reasons to prioritize Origins, IMO. :)

Zeta Oni

Of the fighting games in the list, which are the best?

Is NEOGEO Battle great?

What do the fighting fans recommend?

Soul Calibur II HD
Virtual Fighter 5: Final Showdown (not on the list but keep an eye out)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
KoF 98'
Skullgirls

I never played KoF 2002 so I can't really say if it's better than 98 or not.

Edit: Double checking, most aren't actually on sale, which sucks, but all these are BC. So if they ever do, there's your answer.

jelly

Half Life 2 is a very old game, art style makes it look nice more than anything. Still holds up but definitely of the time. A lot of bang for your buck.

Portal isn't really that hard, it eases you in to how it works and you shouldn't struggle much and you are a YouTube video away from a solution.

Got to get Portal 2 as well, excellent game.

Oynox

How well does The Orange Box hold up...is it worth it for someone who has never played any of those games? How difficult are the puzzles in Portal? I generally am not a puzzle person at all.

What about the Fable games for someone who has never played Fable?

I tried Alan Wake on XB1 BC which I loved on PC. I was kind of appalled by the terrible image quality/resolution to be honest. Witcher 2 has a similar problem. Meanwhile, Rayman Origins looked phenomenal on XB1 BC.

How is the IQ in The Orange Box and Fable?

Personally, I would not pick up The Orange Box and instead play those games on PC. They are quite old now and should run on different systems better performing than the 360.
Same for Portal. Portal is absolutely great, but I would recommend the second one over the first one just because the option of coop.

I only really played Fable II but that one to death. It is great, mostly because it has kind of a quirky British humor. There is plenty to do and it is fun to find the legendary equipment (unlike in most other RPGs I played to date). Definitely would pick it up again. When I played the game back then graphics were great. But I think the game suffered from unsteady framerates, not sure how it is with the BF feature.

I'd also love some impression on those:

Age of Booty
Carcassonne (already own the board game and iOS version)
de Blob 2
DOOM II (already got the first one)
Metal Slug (do not know which one if one at all)
Prince of Persia Classic
Skullgirls

Also I would be interested in more detailed information on the performance of those:

Fable II
Oblivion
The Orange Box

Top Bottom