• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Back Compat Super Sale, starts May 16, up to 75%+ off, 275+ titles

Dervius

So turned on my Xbox One after a long time sitting off. Bought Skate III, Fable II (which I do own on disc) and Fallout: New Vegas cause I never played it on Xbox.
I am a little disappointed because it seems like my region really didn't get everything. Seems to be missing a lot of the XBL games. Only went in there to get Castlevania: Symphony of the Night but I cannot find it. Even when searching the store and it is nowhere. Oh well, still some amazing prices. I might go and buy Blue Dragon for the hell of it again.

Why not buy from another region's store?

yananana

Does anybody knows if I can buy some 360 games on an US/CA account and play it afterwards on my main EU account? Doing this a lot on PS4, but I don't know if I'd work here, as regions are handled kinda strangely for 360 games.

yananana

Righto, thanks. Am I able to use the same Microsoft account to buy from the UK and US stores or do I need separate accounts?

For Xbox One games, you can keep the same account, as long you have something to buy on an another store. (region-locked gift card for example)
You'd need to go on the US store website, and buy it from there. The game will then directly appear in your library on your Xbox One.

For Xbox 360 games, I did gave it a try but it doesn't seem to work. I guess you'd need a different account, then again I'm not even sure about that...

bede-x

After consulting with my co-op buddies, I'm getting the following when I get home:

Mutant Storm Empire
Dungeon Siege 3
Left4Dead 1+2
Kane & Lynch 2
Dead Space 2
Viva Pinata TiP

An excellent sale.

Ikon

I've never played the Banjo games, are these the versions to get?

360 TF2 is some of the most fun I've ever had. Are there any players these days? (And if there are, how rampant is glitching?)

Scrawnton

Has anyone had luck getting Orange box or Portal 2 off the xbox website? They do not show up on the sale on the xbox one itself but on xbox.com they show up as $4.99 each. When I click to buy the games the site closes the purchase screen and refreshes the game page.

Anyone else have this issue?

Dervius

Righto, thanks. Am I able to use the same Microsoft account to buy from the UK and US stores or do I need separate accounts?

Always seems a bit messy with gift cards and codes. Might be worth a look though. Not sure it became any more streamlined in the last few years.

For Xbox One games, you can keep the same account, as long you have something to buy on an another store. (region-locked gift card for example)
You'd need to go on the US store website, and buy it from there. The game will then directly appear in your library on your Xbox One.

For Xbox 360 games, I did gave it a try but it doesn't seem to work. I guess you'd need a different account, then again I'm not even sure about that...

I often buy games from the US or Brazilian store as they are cheaper generally than the UK store. There are a few ways to do this but I've found the smiplest:

1. Buy a gift card for that region from a website like offgamers.com
2. Either change region on the xbox or go to xbox.com and change the region at the bottom of the page and redeem gift card.
3. Purchase game with gift card value

NOTE: you will need to put an address even for a gift card, for places like the US, be wary of sales tax. I normally use an address in Oregon as they don't have sales tax on games apparently. If you can;t find an address just look for a university in that area and use theirs.

This all legit, MS are aware that this is done. They have however made the process increasingly difficult over the past couple of years.

I change region maybe twice a month, so I don't think there's any issue with how often you do it. Your MS account can have balances in multiple regions simultaneously.

yananana

I often buy games from the US or Brazilian store as they are cheaper generally than the UK store. There are a few ways to do this but I've found the smiplest:

1. Buy a gift card for that region from a website like offgamers.com
2. Either change region on the xbox or go to xbox.com and change the region at the bottom of the page and redeem gift card.
3. Purchase game with gift card value

NOTE: you will need to put an address even for a gift card, for places like the US, be wary of sales tax. I normally use an address in Oregon as they don't have sales tax on games apparently. If you can;t find an address just look for a university in that area and use theirs.

This all legit, MS are aware that this is done. They have however made the process increasingly difficult over the past couple of years.

I change region maybe twice a month, so I don't think there's any issue with how often you do it. Your MS account can have balances in multiple regions simultaneously.

Does it work for Xbox 360 games though? I did the same process for Xbox One games before (and it did work), but had no luck for 360 games, as it seems their stores are region-locked or something.

Is Deathspank worth it? Looks fun!

Might get Blue Dragon event though I've never been too fond of turn-based battles and Oblivion is a must get for me.

Oynox

Does it work for Xbox 360 games though? I did the same process for Xbox One games before (and it did work), but had no luck for 360 games, as it seems their stores are region-locked or something.

Not it does not. Only works for One games. You need to switch the region of your Account on xbox.com to access another store, however as mentioned before, that is only possible every 3 months.

Blindy

Well no Guardian Heroes but Red Dead Redemption, Shadows of the Damned, Blue Dragon and even Earthworm Jim HD all for my XB1! Very happy I got a 25 dollar gift card to go along with the current balance of like 13 dollars, should easily have enough for all 4.

horkrux

Oh for fucks sake. I just changed my account's region to Germany a few weeks back. Since language for 360 games on Xbone is arbitrarily tied to where you bought them, I only have the option to buy trash here.

No Alice Madness Returns then... gotta wait another million years for it to go on sale

Edit: Another account.. I'll just use another account

mace999

Neo Member
Anybody know anything about Cars 2, my son is only 3 but loves Lightening McQueen, and can play Mario Kart and Mario 3D world ...... Is it a good game or just utter movie tie in trash?!

Anybody know anything about Cars 2, my son is only 3 but loves Lightening McQueen, and can play Mario Kart and Mario 3D world ...... Is it a good game or just utter movie tie in trash?!

Well one user review says it's really good but there's is also a negative one. Maybe see if YouTube has some opinion videos on it? My brother may want to get it for his two sons as well.

Chris1

Sorry went to sleep

Updated the OP a bit, still about 20 games missing, will cross reference it with Major's blog and add whatever I can find that's missing. But I think the most interesting games are there anyways so probably not missing a whole much.

Theorry

Sorry went to sleep

Updated the OP a bit, still about 20 games missing, will cross reference it with Major's blog and add whatever I can find that's missing. But I think the most interesting games are there anyways so probably not missing a whole much.

Really hope we get some daily deals also. Really need DS1 digital.

arigato

I've never played the Banjo games, are these the versions to get?

360 TF2 is some of the most fun I've ever had. Are there any players these days? (And if there are, how rampant is glitching?)
From what I've heard the 360 TF2 community is not active any longer. Which is a shame because then I would've bought The Orange Box. As for the Banjo games Tooie has better and much more stable framerate than the original.

damn, I can't buy any of these games from my iPhone, I'm always getting an "sorry your order can not be completed at this time, please try again later" error message

Chris1

Really hope we get some daily deals also. Really need DS1 digital.

Doubtful because Major Nelson's blog has 280 games, though there are some duplicates I noticed, but should still be 275+ games

After a quick look at Majors blog I have added the following to the OP:
Scarygirl $2.49 (75% drop)
Saints Row IV $8.74 (75% drop)
Rayman Origins $4.94 (67% drop)
Rayman 3 $3.29 (67% drop)
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising $2.49 (75% drop)
Of Orcs and Men £3.74 (UK price, not available in US?) (75% drop)
Monaco: WHat's yours is mine $4.94 (67% drop)
Mars: War Logs $2.49 (75% drop)
Luxor 2 $2.49 (75% drop)
Lego Pirates of the Carribbean $4.99 (75% drop)
Just Cause 2 $3.74 (75% drop)
JUJU $3.74 (75% drop)
Joy Ride Turbo $2.49 (75% drop)
Gears of War Judgement $4.99 (75% drop)
Gears of War 3 Season pass $7.49 (75% drop)
Faery: Legends of Avalon $1.87 (75% drop)
Escape Dead Island $4.99 (75% drop)
Double Dragon Neon $3.29 (67% drop)
Deadliest Warrior: Legends $2.49 (75% drop)
Cabela's Hunting Expeditions $14.99 (50% drop)
Cabela's Survival: SoK $14.99 (50% drop)
Borderlands 2 $9.99 (50% drop)
Borderlands 2 Season Pass $8.99 (50% drop)

OP is now at 278 games after removing the duplicates so I think that's all up to date

LewieP

What are the odds of Red Dead being a Red Dead 2 pre-order bonus, similar to Gears 4 or fallout 4?

Has that ever happened for games with Sony marketing deals? I'd have guessed that the contract with Sony would prevent Xbox only preorder incentives.

Also I don't think Rockstar would give away one of their old games as a promotional freebie.

maxcriden

If you haven't played Rayman, especially Origins, that game is absolutely incredible. Of you've ever had a passing interest in platformers it is one of the best ever, especially including 100%ing the game and doing the time trials. But the base game in and of itself is just amazing regardless.

Chris1

Up to 90% off*

*One title will be 90% off.

Not complaining, as there are some great deals, just funny.
They said up to 75% off. That 90% is an outlier.

They probably can't advertise 90% off because of EU laws (a certain % of items on sale need to be that much off to advertise 90% off), hence why they advertise 75% where there is a lot more discounted at that price.

If you haven't played Rayman, especially Origins, that game is absolutely incredible. Of you've ever had a passing interest in platformers it is one of the best ever, especially including 100%ing the game and doing the time trials. But the base game in and of itself is just amazing regardless.

Rayman Legends is also on sale and BC, but it was already in the OP. Since Legends (at least on XB1?) has the best parts of origins, might be wiser to just get that instead.

But Legends (Xb1) and origins (360) have both been GWG before.. So if you haven't played them, what are you doing? Get the GWGs :p

SOLDIER

How are the SNK games, port and netcode wise?

I've always been interested in checking out the KoF games, but I never know which console/PC has the best ports.

Fuck, AC Rogue is $6.50? Don't know how missed that! This damn sale is killing my wallet. lol

Edit: it's $10, must have been the wrong region

Breakage

I just picked up GRID 2 for my Xbox 360. I loved the way it handled in the demo that I played a few years ago. It's like Ridge Racer with real cars.

im_dany

Login on xbox.com with your MS account and it should make you choose your unique gamertag, then you should be done.

You can have different billing methods for different regions for X1, but not for X360 as purchases from the console are often region or even IP locked. You can change your region once every 3 months, but you may lose some licences, it'll completely migrate your account and you're not guaranteed you'll be able to purchase those games.

On X1 it's much easier, you just have to change the region in bottom left (I think?) and get appropriate gift cards. You can't use your Microsoft credit balance to purchase 360 games, unless you buy them through a proper 360 console. Or, if you want to get 360 DLCs, you could launch the game from X1 and buy it from the emulated 360 OS, but that's just for DLCs and rarely for games (for example, BFBC and BF1943 can be purchased from BFBC2 menu).

My tip is: stay in your own region for 360 purchases, check if it's that worth it for X1/W10 ones.

Top Bottom