• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Najaf

I'm iwith you.

The Double Tap Xbox + Y or X is still slow and also puts up the annoying overlay. Rather have the ability to do one immediately.

This functionality is built into the new chat pad (a button for screenshots and record that), so I can really see it coming to the controller app.

It is not built into the chat pad. If you look at the product descriptions on store fronts, (amazon) you will see that they specifically note that this feature is coming "mid-2016".

I would agree that it is likely to come to the elite controller when that programmable button feature is released for the chat pad.

Justinh

why? i don't get it? they just asked if anyone was playing

I thought they weren't released there yet?

Having an issue where when the headset adapter is plugged in the bottom of the controller, it mirrors the two profiles I have saved. I guess I'll just report the issue and go without it for a while.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Playing Destiny for the first time with this controller. It's pure fucking magic. Can't say enough about it. If you put a good amount of time in games and are on the fence, buy it if you can find one. You won't regret it.

Also, I know other people posted or asked, but I'm using the headset adapter with the volume controls and having no issues.

Spasm

Here's my first go of a Halo Profile. This is based on Bumper Jumper, and I've adjusted the RT range so that hair trigger on = 100%.

t4LSOPV.jpg

And Microsoft, I know that the button config app is not technically a game, but you could still allow us to take screenshots in it. Would make sharing a whole less potato-y.

Fake edit: Forgot to label LB as +Clamber, and RB as + Ground Pound.

Geist-

Played Destiny and Halo 5 with it, takes some getting used to since I'm still trying to press the same buttons (damn muscle memory). Tried to map buttons to all 4 paddles, but it just felt uncomfortable. 2 paddles mapped with jump and reload I think is the sweet spot.

Najaf

And Microsoft, I know that the button config app is not technically a game, but you could still allow us to take screenshots in it. Would make sharing a whole less potato-y.

Load the app up in windows 10. Works the same and you can take screen shots.

kaioshade

Comparing this with the lunar white controller, it seems the buttons are slightly less stiff than the lunar one. gave it to my gf and she noticed it too. I wonder if the controller is supposed to be like that, or if i somehow have a dud. i really hope i dont have a dud.

hwy_61

Banned
Comparing this with the lunar white controller, it seems the buttons are slightly less stiff than the lunar one. gave it to my gf and she noticed it too. I wonder if the controller is supposed to be like that, or if i somehow have a dud. i really hope i dont have a dud.

A DUD!

When you say less stiff, wouldn't that mean they're easier to press? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

Falchion

So does using the longer stick to aim actually increase the precision with which you can aim? I've been using it since yesterday but it still feels kind of awkward and I'm not sure if it's helping or hurting.

Christof

Neo Member
So does using the longer stick to aim actually increase the precision with which you can aim? I've been using it since yesterday but it still feels kind of awkward and I'm not sure if it's helping or hurting.

It should

If you have longer sticks it makes it so a larger movement of your thumb is required to get same game motion. This will give you finer control but be slower.

Taking it deeper, if you then increase the sensitivity higher (in game) it will counteract/balance that effect when you are doing fine control. But now you can perform "gross" motions (like turning completely around) faster, when the stick is pushed all the way over

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, this is pretty disappointing. The bottom of the cross d-pad attachment for my controller is chipped, so it won't sit on the controller properly. I talked to customer support, and they tell me they can ship me a replacement d-pad attachment... for $10. So, I can either get ripped off, or return it and not have a controller until they're back in stock, whenever that happens. Really cool for $150.

Controller is amazing otherwise, but that's stupid.

kaioshade

A DUD!

When you say less stiff, wouldn't that mean they're easier to press? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

Yea, it is a bit better, just a bit weird. i was used to the slightly stiffer buttons on the lunar controller. everything works fine, its just an adjustment

So, this has probably been mentioned already but... plasma pistol charge in Halo 5 and hair-triggers on the Elite controller no mix, huh?

Bsigg12

I really hope Microsoft takes it to heart that if you create a premium gaming product with superb quality and functionality, people will buy it. This controller is a fantastic piece of hardware and can't see myself playing any other way now.

Justinh

So, this has probably been mentioned already but... plasma pistol charge in Halo 5 and hair-triggers on the Elite controller no mix, huh?

Someone mentioned it, but I don't remember if a resolution was given.
I think you need to dork around in the accessories app. In the triggers section try lowering the second number. I think that's how you do it.

edit: Yeah, that seems to have done it. I can charge plasma pistol with hair triggers now, but I still don't really hair triggers, though. (although I bet if I used them, I'd probably stop squeezing the controller so much causing accidental paddlepulls. I'll have to consider this...)

I am by no means a pro player. Hell I am continually at the bottom of FPS charts when playing PVP but honestly this controllers additional functionality as well as ease of use and extra paddles makes it a no brainer for anyone that games more than an average amount of time.

Great controller go buy one if you can find one!

Najaf

Well, this is pretty disappointing. The bottom of the cross d-pad attachment for my controller is chipped, so it won't sit on the controller properly. I talked to customer support, and they tell me they can ship me a replacement d-pad attachment... for $10. So, I can either get ripped off, or return it and not have a controller until they're back in stock, whenever that happens. Really cool for $150.

Controller is amazing otherwise, but that's stupid.

That is ridiculous. Was it chipped out of the box? If so, I'd push it up to management level. Zero reason you should have to pay extra for receiving a faulty product.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That is ridiculous. Was it chipped out of the box? If so, I'd push it up to management level. Zero reason you should have to pay extra for receiving a faulty product.

Yep, chipped out of the box. They said the $10 fee was there to make sure I wasn't trying to game the system or something. I think a receipt could accomplish the same thing, but who knows?

Someone mentioned it, but I don't remember if a resolution was given.
I think you need to dork around in the accessories app. In the triggers section try lowering the second number. I think that's how you do it.

edit: Yeah, that seems to have done it. I can charge plasma pistol with hair triggers now, but I still don't really hair triggers, though. (although I bet if I used them, I'd probably stop squeezing the controller so much causing accidental paddlepulls. I'll have to consider this...)

Cool, thanks.

Does anybody know what the default setting for the hair trigger is? Mine is showing up as 0 and 20 even when the hair trigger setting is on when I go into the menu. Just wondering how much lower I need to make the number.

Thanks

Justinh

Cool, thanks.

Does anybody know what the default setting for the hair trigger is? Mine is showing up as 0 and 20 even when the hair trigger setting is on when I go into the menu. Just wondering how much lower I need to make the number.

Thanks

0-20? Mine was 0-100 and I just lowered the second number to halfway. I bet it's some preview program crap. Try halfway...
Are there two sets of numbers for each trigger for you? Leave the first one in each set alone if so.

Najaf

Yep, chipped out of the box. They said the $10 fee was there to make sure I wasn't trying to game the system or something. I think a receipt could accomplish the same thing, but who knows?

You are talking to MS customer service correct? I'd call them back and escalate the call up a level. Don't take no for an answer. I'd tell them a $160 (including tax) purchase should not turn into $170 because it was faulty out of the box. They should provide either a complete replacement and cover your shipping cost to return it to them while they ship you a new one, or they should throw one of the pieces into an envelope and mail it for (edit) 49 cents.

...gets me riled up just thinking about it.

I really must say that this controller is absolutely fantastic. I am generally a PC Gamer, however Destiny has gotten me to play a lot more Xbox recently. Now I don't even want to go back to PC Shooters right now since this controller is just so nice. I would highly recommend anyone who plays even a little to get this. It is that good.

Spasm

0-20? Mine was 0-100 and I just lowered the second number to halfway. I bet it's some preview program crap. Try halfway...
Are there two sets of numbers for each trigger for you? Leave the first one in each set alone if so.
On mine, full pull was accomplished at 84.

Has anyone messed much with changing the stick sensitivity? (For Halo 5 specifically) I feel like I could use a bit of fine tuning from the default but I'm not sure where to, exactly.

Also, learning paddles is hard. I think i'm going to stick to two until I'm 100% use to it and then "graduate" to all 4. I put jump and weapon swap on the two paddles I'm using now, anyone using a layout they consider more comfortable/better than that?

watdaeff4

This is a great controller.

The only thing I'm having to adjust to is not gripping it how I'm used to in order to prevent myself from clicking on the paddles. I rest my middle and ring fingers on them, but I'm so used to gripping onto a controller harder with these fingers as I hold it, it bothers me a little bit. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually

Hawk269

Was in my local Gamestop store today and a guy was picking up his Elite controller. A few people around were all like "Can I see it?". The guys GF wanted one too but obviously sold out. They were taking a list of names since they had 1 pre-order not picked up yet. I asked how long the list was and he said around 35 or so. This Store had about 13 pre-orders, one was mine and the manager that I was talking with said that the demand and inquiry ever since it and Halo 5 came out has been incredible.

It is a fantastic controller and I am really loving it. I know there was a lot of shit talking about the price and that it is too expensive and it is expensive, but you are paying for quality of the controller and workmanship. Everyone I know that have used it love it and feel the price is justified.

So much for those thinking "I will get it when it is discounted because for $150, no one is going to buy it".

KaoticBlaze

Played Destiny and Halo 5 with it, takes some getting used to since I'm still trying to press the same buttons (damn muscle memory). Tried to map buttons to all 4 paddles, but it just felt uncomfortable. 2 paddles mapped with jump and reload I think is the sweet spot.

are you using the bottom or top paddles for this? i think i may need to try this as well. I've been using all 4 at once, and having to grip the controller differently has been putting quite the strain on my wrist.

malfcn

I wish the inner parts were a bit improved. Normally my sticks last fine, but improving the outside and not the inside?

GavinGT

Banned
Do the joysticks feel any tighter than the normal pad? I'm seriously contemplating soldering on a 360 joystick to my current controller.

KaoticBlaze

are you using the bottom or top paddles for this? i think i may need to try this as well. I've been using all 4 at once, and having to grip the controller differently has been putting quite the strain on my wrist.

So if anyone is like myself and has very long play sessions, and using all 4 paddles is starting to strain your wrists or perhaps you cant get used to the new way of gripping the controller, i just tried something that feels very comfortable and works well for me and hopefully you as well.

I took off the two longer paddles and only kept the two smaller paddles. I put one on bottom right, and the other top left. It feels amazing and very natural this way. I've been playing Halo so i took the advice of Geist's last post and mapped the bottom right one for jumping, and the top left one for reloading. I hope this helps!

I opened mine tonight and am really impressed with it. I like the weight, the grips on the back and the look of it.

My joysticks make a bit of a ticking noise, but I guess that's because the controller is new and hasn't been used?

I doubt I'll use it all that much due to the price, and because I don't play competitive shooters a ton, but it's nice to have.

1) Can you not just download the app from the store? Why do I need to go to some website?

2) Are the batteries in with the USB cable?

Bsigg12

I opened mine tonight and am really impressed with it. I like the weight, the grips on the back and the look of it.

My joysticks make a bit of a ticking noise, but I guess that's because the controller is new and hasn't been used?

I doubt I'll use it all that much due to the price, and because I don't play competitive shooters a ton, but it's nice to have.

1) Can you not just download the app from the store? Why do I need to go to some website?

2) Are the batteries in with the USB cable?

You should be able to just look up Xbox Accessories in the Windows 10/Xbox store and download it.

Yes.

Arren

I'm definitely very interested in purchasing this controller once it releases in Europe and hearing all these good impressions makes me all the more excited about it.

I'm looking to use it as an all-rounder for PC gaming and I was wondering how the multifaceted dpad works for twitchy retrogames if compared to the classic Xbox One pad. I found the normal one to be quite unconfortable, being so stiff and with not too much of a push down. How does it compare, for instance, to the Wii U Pro controller dpad?

So if anyone is like myself and has very long play sessions, and using all 4 paddles is starting to strain your wrists or perhaps you cant get used to the new way of gripping the controller, i just tried something that feels very comfortable and works well for me and hopefully you as well.

I took off the two longer paddles and only kept the two smaller paddles. I put one on bottom right, and the other top left. It feels amazing and very natural this way. I've been playing Halo so i took the advice of Geist's last post and mapped the bottom right one for jumping, and the top left one for reloading. I hope this helps!

Wow, this is the way to do it. Only change I'd recommend is mapping jump to the upper left and boost to the bottom right. Being able to evade while maintaining aim is crucial.

SwolBro

Banned
Here's my first go of a Halo Profile. This is based on Bumper Jumper, and I've adjusted the RT range so that hair trigger on = 100%.

t4LSOPV.jpg

Fake edit: Forgot to label LB as +Clamber, and RB as + Ground Pound.

so you can leave buttons functionless!

derFeef

I am thinking of getting one of this to play space sims like Elite (heh) on the PC. Can you assign NEW functions to the paddles via the app? Or just macros for keys?
How easy is it to accidently hit the paddles and how long does it take to adjust your grip? I am a claw kinda guy ;)

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

This sounds great. I've really been struggling with having all 4 paddles attached.

Chorazin

So there is an update to the controller when you run the accessories app using the new Xbox One Dashboard, and you also get to name it. I now wield Mjolnir!

Not sure what the update did though, no patch notes.

SwolBro

Banned
Can someone with an Elite Controller and Titanfall please please do me a favor?

Don't ask your consumers if they are enjoying something you've not yet given them.
ah i didn't realize it didnt' come out. maybe it was a mistake? they wouldn't actually troll their own customers would they? lol

Top Bottom