• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

Topher

Gold Member
They have dropped the ball left and right and adding a way to sideload Steam could likely be very stupid so it makes perfect sense they want to attempt it

James Franco Flirt GIF

It's like we have said time and time again, nothing Microsoft is doing to push hardware is working. If Microsoft wants to stay in hardware then they have to rethink their strategy from the ground up. An Xbox branded PC (or OEM) isn't going to sell 10s of millions, but if they configure/price it right then it keeps a foothold in the hardware market which obviously Microsoft believes is very important. Either way, it sure as hell beats taking $100 to $200 loss on every console sold when game sales have tanked. I think MS is done subsidizing hardware, tbh.

Last edited:

truth411

Question: I can't seem to find an answer.

So when current Gamepass subscribers subscription runout, they buy or extend there current subscription, do they keep the same model/price their on or do they have to buy ultimate at $20?

In other words everyone who wants day and date games will eventually pay $20 correct?

GHG

Gold Member
I can’t imagine it makes financial sense for them to do that, tbh. They’ve made tons of missteps so far, but that would certainly rank high among the dumbest things they could do.

We’ll see.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Why would anybody purchase anything from the xbox/windows store when they have access to steam and all the 3rd party keyshops that go in tandem with that?

How do they continue to force people to pay a monthly/annual subscription to play games online when everyone can just bypass it by playing the non-Xbox games on the very same box?

They will be robbing themselves of all of their current revenue streams outside of gamepass.

Last edited:

BlackTron

For a second I wondered if I should feel a little FOMO over stacking a bunch of Gamepass while you still can then I remembered today is the last day of Steam sale

bender

What time is it?

Why would anybody purchase anything from the xbox/windows store when they have access to steam and all the 3rd party keyshops that go in tandem with that?

How do they continue to force people to pay a monthly/annual subscription to play games online when everyone can just bypass it by playing the non-Xbox games on the very same box?

They will be robbing themselves of all of their current revenue streams outside of gamepass.

I struggle to see how these rumors would be beneficial to Microsoft or consumers. The main strengths of consoles these days is a low cost of entry for hardware that is capable of running the latest and greatest games somewhat reasonably and ease of use. There might be a limited market for a "high-end" console but a product offering at ~$1,000 is probably just going to push the majority of your core audience to the competition or to the PC as an expensive middle ground that doesn't have all the benefits of PC gaming (upgrading, truly high-end tech) nor the benefits of console gaming as we know it (up front costs, ease of use) while also having some of the negatives of both platforms (complexity, walled gardens). This just seems like a weird middle ground that hardly anyone is asking for.

ZehDon

If Microsoft allow third-party stores on their Xbox platform, their profits must come from the hardware itself - so, no more loss leading on the hardware. That's clearly where they're headed. Either they have some kind of miracle hardware breakthrough that allows them to produce high end consoles for a pittance (unlikely), or they're prepping to go the "premium hardware" route where Xboxes just cost more. That actually opens a few avenues for them - like making an Xbox "console" (re: PC in Xbox branding) that doesn't have to fit into the USD$399-499 price window. In theory, breaking that price point could allow them to deliver a console next year that would still be powerful enough to equal the PS6 when it eventually launches. You'd pay a handsome premium for it, but it would come with the benefit of it being able to run all of your current Xbox library and your Steam, Epic, and GOG libraries. And if they're able to do a "Series S"-style cutdown as a handheld for that eco-system? I'd actually be very interested.

reinking

Gold Member
This suddenly makes sense....

LZchKVS.png

"Upon launch, Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 will be playable on Xbox and PC for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, PC Game Pass, and Xbox Game Pass for Console members," a Microsoft spokesperson told Eurogamer earlier today.

Pretty slick, Microsoft. Didn't lie, but didn't tell the whole story either.
It's what they do.

demigod

I completely forgot that they increased prices last year for Ultimate from $15 to $17 (I use cheap yearly codes).

So yes, I was wrong. But the worst kind of wrong - because this is now the second price increase in 13 months. It shows what kind of trajectory the pricing is on.

Shall we come back in July 2025 when it inevitably rises again to $23... or $25?
You’re not wrong, it is a 25% increase since Jim Ryan’s comment. adamsapple adamsapple needs to keep up to what he was replying to.

If a game isn't good enough to own I am not interested in it. Xbox and these companies are getting out of hand with all these subscription service price increases. Once my sub runs out (did a stack 2 years ago) I’m done with game pass. Its been just a constant waiting game to get games and when they do launch it has been underwhelming (hellblade 2,Starfield).

The only people that would benefit from game pass is kids with a ton of free time to play through the big library but even then kids today are more interested in investing a lot of time in free 2 play games. Very interested to see how things play out with Call of duty being in GP this year.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Yeah, it was a pretty daft comment.

Pretty much every game there was a $70 AAA title, and you’d be hard pressed to see anyone call HFW and Demon Souls ‘small games’.

But I made it clear discounts are delivered by all publishers not named Nintendo. Multiple times, for that matter.

Hard to argue that Xbox games have limited appeal when Sea of Thieves is selling very well as a late port.

And do you see anyone arguing in favor a of 240 dollar subscription to any publishers games? Let alone Microsoft's?

GHG

Gold Member
If Microsoft allow third-party stores on their Xbox platform, their profits must come from the hardware itself - so, no more loss leading on the hardware. That's clearly where they're headed. Either they have some kind of miracle hardware breakthrough that allows them to produce high end consoles for a pittance (unlikely), or they're prepping to go the "premium hardware" route where Xboxes just cost more. That actually opens a few avenues for them - like making an Xbox "console" (re: PC in Xbox branding) that doesn't have to fit into the USD$399-499 price window. In theory, breaking that price point could allow them to deliver a console next year that would still be powerful enough to equal the PS6 when it eventually launches. You'd pay a handsome premium for it, but it would come with the benefit of it being able to run all of your current Xbox library and your Steam, Epic, and GOG libraries. And if they're able to do a "Series S"-style cutdown as a handheld for that eco-system? I'd actually be very interested.

Well if that's the case then it's unlikely to be any cheaper than any other pre-built SFF gaming PC and it would end up being cheaper to just build one yourself.

In which case, where is exactly is the value proposition and who is it for?

Ozriel

M$FT
And do you see anyone arguing in favor a of 240 dollar subscription to any publishers games? Let alone Microsoft's?

Good thing the service offers access to games from tons of publishers, not just Microsoft, eh? Also includes cloud streaming, EA Play and online play.

Decide if the service has value for you and move on. Buying the games you want at retail is a perfectly viable option. Not exactly rocket science.

ZehDon

Well if that's the case then it's unlikely to be any cheaper than any other pre-built SFF gaming PC and it would end up being cheaper to just build one yourself.

I don't really see it that way. There are two factors worth considering. First, economies of scale kicks in on the scale Microsoft would be looking at producing this hardware. That would give them buying power well over that of the current crop of pre-built PCs and lightyears above what the individual can ever get. We're also not likely talking off the shelf-parts for everything. I suspect this will be hardware from the Surface team, meaning a least some degree of customisation. All of that together should let Microsoft get these to market for a reasonable price. We're not talking USD$399-499, in fact I'd expect USD$799-999. That's a smaller market than the current console market, sure - but they make profit on every unit sold, so they can just keep selling whatever people are buying. And their "console" wouldn't be hamstrung by what fits into $399 - meaning they could deliver on their "biggest leap ever" claims.
The second factor is the rumoured OEM structure. If this is true, then Microsoft wouldn't be the only manufacturer of these devices, meaning some companies might be able to deliver them even cheaper than Microsoft. All Microsoft is doing is providing the base specs for their Xbox Series X2, ensuring all games that target Series X2 will run the same. Everything else would be up to the manufacturer I suppose.

Topher

Gold Member

XSX would be a perfectly fine PC for many gamers right now considering most PC gamers are typically targeting 1080p. Microsoft can still leverage their AMD APUs which I believe still has a more powerful GPU than what consumers currently can buy off the shelf in APUs so that in itself would help to keep costs relatively low. So if we go by Phil Spencer's own words then a couple of years ago XSX cost between $600 and $700 to make. Let's say they can get something with slightly updated components down under $600 in cost then the question is what kind of margin would be needed for this to be worth their while? Would the profit on a $999 PC work? Hard to say, but I could see it.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Good thing the service offers access to games from tons of publishers, not just Microsoft, eh? Also includes cloud streaming, EA Play and online play.

Decide if the service has value for you and move on. Buying the games you want at retail is a perfectly viable option. Not exactly rocket science.

As I've stated for over a year, you better believe the 3rd party stuff is going to diminish.

Ozriel

M$FT
As I've stated for over a year, you better believe the 3rd party stuff is going to diminish.

I see no signs of that happening, and Xbox certainly showed off an intriguing list of 3rd parties coming to the service at their ‘E3’ show.

This month, we’re seeing that Kunitsu-gami , Flintlock and Neon White, among others.

I think it’s a safe bet to conclude that you’re not blessed with the gift of prophecy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Two third party day one games releasing in the next week, one of them is from one from biggest Japanese publisher. Bad month to try and suggest that.

Ah yes MS = the industry.

Is it such a sin to mention them by name Matt?

The tweet he's quoting has both GP and PS+ labeling and price structures, maybe that's why ?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I see no signs of that happening, and Xbox certainly showed off an intriguing list of 3rd parties coming to the service at their ‘E3’ show.

This month, we’re seeing that Kunitsu-gami , Flintlock and Neon White, among others.

I think it’s a safe bet to conclude that you’re not blessed with the gift of prophecy.

None of those are major games, and I literally called this very scenario with the price increase and the two tiers and successfully predicted when it would happen... but sure... I have no idea what I'm talking about.

adamsapple

None of those are major games, and I literally called this very scenario with the price increase and the two tiers and successfully predicted when it would happen... but sure... I have no idea what I'm talking about.

You successfully called that a subscription service may increase its price eventually? wow who could have seen that coming 🫢

adamsapple

Question: I can't seem to find an answer.

So when current Gamepass subscribers subscription runout, they buy or extend there current subscription, do they keep the same model/price their on or do they have to buy ultimate at $20?

In other words everyone who wants day and date games will eventually pay $20 correct?

If you have game pass console and auto renewal enabled, your subscription will continue as is. This change is only for new or renewing subscribers. You will also continue to get day 1 games, unlike Standard.

• Game Pass for Console will no longer be available for new members.
  • Members who are already subscribed to Game Pass for Console and have automatic payment renewal enabled will be able to continue to enjoy their membership.

adamsapple adamsapple

he knows all things Game Pass

Thanks Thank You GIF by Bounce

Last edited:
vFJQBf6.jpeg

Hold up. Is this image legit? It was part of one of the tweets linked here.

Is PC Game Pass offering a better value than Xbox Game Pass Standard? Looks like PC Game Pass will include EA Play and Day One games while the more expensive Xbox Game Pass Standard lacks both those elements. If so, I just don't get it. It's like speed-running the Xbox into irrelevancy.

Topher

Gold Member
vFJQBf6.jpeg

Hold up. Is this image legit? It was part of one of the tweets linked here.

Is PC Game Pass offering a better value than Xbox Game Pass Standard? Looks like PC Game Pass will include EA Play and Day One games while the more expensive Xbox Game Pass Standard lacks both those elements. If so, I just don't get it. It's like speed-running the Xbox into irrelevancy.

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it.

bender

What time is it?
Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it.
A slight difference in games offered too, mostly due to titles not available on the platform. PC did miss out on Dead Island 2 and The Quarry. I detailed it in one of these threads. The gap mostly seems like Microsoft not letting go of pay to pay online fees.

adamsapple

A slight difference in games offered too, mostly due to titles not available on the platform. PC did miss out on Dead Island 2 and The Quarry. I detailed it in one of these threads. The gap mostly seems like Microsoft not letting go of pay to pay online fees.

Weren't those mostly because of EGS's exclusivity period on PC?

Top Bottom