• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

feynoob

Banned
People here believe general consumers buy 20 games per year and will see a lot of value on "hundreds of old games", they just ignore that most of new releases doesn't come to gamepass. Attach rate of consoles per generation is 8 games average. Besides 5% nerds of hardcore gamers, general market will not get any value in gamepass, mostly important because the games they play or want are not on the service.
This is what most people dont understand.
Gamepass is competing with other games for your time. If gamepass doesnt have those games, you wont dedicate that much playtime for the service, which means no value gained from it.

If I spend 1 month playing spiderman, I am missing out on that month gamepass.

This doesnt account to mmo, fornite, fifa, cod and other live service games which consumes most of your time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I understand that you cant read that much, but these games wont stay there after 1 year of them being on the service. I have to play them during that year. And with time, you cant play them.

The games that I bought here, would stay on my library for 10+ years.

Plenty of people on GAF use services like Gamefly, regardless of game pass or PS+, not everyone wants to buy games at full price they won't replay again after a few months and by the time they might feel the need to replay something, it would have gone to bargain bin prices anyway.

feynoob

Banned
Plenty of people on GAF use services like Gamefly, regardless of game pass or PS+, not everyone wants to buy games at full price they won't replay again after a few months and by the time they might feel the need to replay something, it would have gone to bargain bin prices anyway.
Or be like me. Buy that one hot game that people scream about it. Then buy it again on different platform after 1 year, because you dont play that much on the previous platform.

That is how I bought 2 elden ring copies on Xbox and on Steam today.

Sometimes, you get scammed in to spending money on a hype game.

GHG

Gold Member
And that trolling post, tells us everything we need to know.

cry baby GIF

Apart from it's not trolling, I'm 100% sincere.

If you actually want to add value to this thread, feel free to explain why a price increase in addition to them removing "day one" isn't indicative of anything.

And here's a list of game added to Game Pass over the last 3 months:

• Warhammer 40k: Boltgun
  • Paw Patrol World
  • NBA 2K24
  • SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom
  • Control: Ultimate Edition
  • No More Heroes 3
  • Lightyear Frontier
  • MLB the Show 24
  • The Quarry
  • Evil West
  • Terra Invicta
  • Diablo IV
  • Hot Wheels Unleashed 2
  • Open Roads
  • Ark: Survival Ascended
  • F1 23
  • Superhot
  • LEGO 2K Drive
  • EA Sports PGA Tour
  • Lil Gator Game
  • Turbo Golf Racing
  • Botany Manor
  • Kona
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
  • Grounded
  • Harold Halibut
  • Orcs Must Die! 3
  • NHL 24
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • Wreckfest
  • Clyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
  • Another Crab's Treasure
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Manor Lords
  • The Rewinder
  • Have a Nice Death
  • Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
  • Kona 2
  • Little Kitty, Big City
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • Chants of Sennaar
  • Immortals of Aveum
  • Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2
  • Galacticare
  • Hauntil
  • Moving Out 2
  • Humanity
  • Lords of the Fallen
  • Firework
  • Rolling Hills
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Octopath Traveler 2
  • Depersonalization
  • Isonzo
  • The Callisto Protocol
  • Still Wakes the Deep
  • My Time at Sandrock
  • Keplerth
  • EA Sports FC 24
  • SteamWorld Dig
  • SteamWorld Dig 2
  • Robin Hood - Sherwood Builders
  • Journey to the Savage Planet
  • Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2
  • Neon White
  • Tchia

.... Not to mention the hundreds of games already included in the Game Pass library.

I don't think you are making the point you think you are making here.

It's crazy but I look at a list like this and I just realize why sub services are not for me. I play games damn near every single day probably buy one game a month at least. Yet not one thing here makes me think man I need to get game pass. It's how I felt after having it for a few months and the same way I feel about PS+ after having it for a while as well. They were both good initially but as I made my way through everything the monthly additions aren't good enough to keep me going.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
It's crazy but I look at a list like this and I just realize why sub services are not for me. I play games damn near every single day probably buy one game a month at least. Yet not one thing here makes me think man I need to get game pass. It's how I felt after having it for a few months and the same way I feel about PS+ after having it for a while as well. They were both good initially but as I made my way through everything the monthly additions aren't good enough to keep me going.
It's not for everyone. Personally I think the people heavily into AA games and indies are getting the most out of it. Botany Manor and Hauntii are some of the best games this year, and I probably wouldn't have tried them otherwise.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

I personally don't think I'd pay $20 a month every month for it either. But with the Xbox Live Gold -> Game Pass Ultimate conversion trick, or with MS Rewards, it's a no brainer IMO.

Its not for everyone, I agree.

You gave it a fair shot so not directed at you, I think we are too conditioned to gravitate towards recognisable brands.

In that list, most titles are stuff I have no idea about. That makes me way more interested than new AAA open world title, that I kinda know how they are going to play out.

Banjo64

cumsessed

The headline is a horror show, but the premise is correct:

In a world where gamers are playing fewer, bigger, online games like Fortnite and Roblox, a service that encourages people to experience a variety of different titles might just be a good thing

Subscription based services are not an issue. Microsoft’s approach is.

The scale that Microsoft want to do this at doesn’t make sense economically. Studios the size of BGS that can only release one game every 6 years. The CoD factory that relies on 20m sales per year to keep going. Microsoft are still having to pump $1b a year to the third parties that fill the rest of the library. It’s simply never been sustainable no matter what banana maths Phil pushes out.

Game subscription services like Apple Arcade and even NSO are actually viable and can remain low cost for the provider and consumer, whilst offering interesting games and experiences.

Banjo64

cumsessed

In a world where gamers are playing fewer, bigger, online games like Fortnite and Roblox, a service that encourages people to experience a variety of different titles might just be a good thing

The scale that Microsoft want to do this at doesn’t make sense economically. Studios the size of BGS that can only release one game every 6 years. The CoD factory that relies on 20m sales per year to keep going. Microsoft are still having to pump $1b a year to the third parties that fill the rest of the library. It’s simply never been sustainable no matter what banana maths Phil pushes out.

Game subscription services like Apple Arcade and even NSO are actually viable and can remain low cost for the provider and consumer, whilst offering interesting games and experiences.
adamsapple adamsapple instead of just leaving an emoji, I’d be interested to hear your actual view on sustainability (beyond ‘it just works’).

Studio closures, successive price hikes, porting games to PlayStation and Nintendo, removing day one games from most tiers, a stagnation and eventual decline in overall subscribers over a number of years, a perceived drop in overall quality (which is subjective) - does this genuinely scream ‘working model’ to you?

Last edited:

J0PNchb.png

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

$20 x 20 million subs is 400 million a month. They'd cover the 1 billion by mid-March. Then say 3 200 million budget 1st party games a year. They'd cover that by the end of April. Then say operating costs, I have zero clue lets just make up a random number and throw 800 million at it for the year, covered by the end of June. Then you have 400 million a month for 5 months left over. And 20 million subs is relatively low. I don't really see an issue with it. If you're claiming it's unsustainable you could try and offer some details. All of us are basically just making this up and don't know.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
adamsapple adamsapple instead of just leaving an emoji, I’d be interested to hear your actual view on sustainability (beyond ‘it just works’).

Studio closures, successive price hikes, porting games to PlayStation and Nintendo, removing day one games from most tiers, a stagnation and eventual decline in overall subscribers over a number of years, a perceived drop in overall quality (which is subjective) - does this genuinely scream ‘working model’ to you?
I left you a like emoji so I will chime in a little as well and what makes this work in the end

Make killer games

Don't let your big boy games like Halo, Starfield, Forza etc be mediocre at best

$20 x 20 million subs is 400 million a month. They'd cover the 1 billion by mid-March. Then say 3 200 million budget 1st party games a year. They'd cover that by the end of April. Then say operating costs, I have zero clue lets just make up a random number and throw 800 million at it for the year, covered by the end of June. Then you have 400 million a month for 5 months left over. And 20 million subs is relatively low. I don't really see an issue with it. If you're claiming it's unsustainable you could try and offer some details. All of us are basically just making this up and don't know.

They can't even cover Hi-Fi rush nevermind AAA games

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
There is a saying in England; ‘the proof is in the pudding’.

In the absence of any concrete figures from Microsoft around their gaming division we can only judge based on outcomes;

Studio closures, successive price hikes, porting games to PlayStation and Nintendo, removing day one games from most tiers, a stagnation and eventual decline in overall subscribers over a number of years, a perceived drop in overall quality (which is subjective)

Banjo64

cumsessed
I left you a like emoji so I will chime in a little as well and what makes this work in the end

Make killer games

Don't let your big boy games like Halo, Starfield, Forza etc be mediocre at best
I’d say even that won’t work if you give them away for £14.99.

They need to be making good games in a small amount of time at a low cost.

cebri.one

Now add infrastructure cost, third party fees, cost of EA play, personnel cost, etc.

adamsapple

They're specifically increasing price to address the monetary issue you mentioned in your last post. But ultimately, as a gamer my main thing is the addition of all that day 1 content and other assorted stuff that's on there, it's not my job to stress over Microsoft's financials.

If the service wasn't worth it, I wouldn't be stanning for it 🤷‍♂️

Fess

Or be like me. Buy that one hot game that people scream about it. Then buy it again on different platform after 1 year, because you dont play that much on the previous platform.

That is how I bought 2 elden ring copies on Xbox and on Steam today.

Sometimes, you get scammed in to spending money on a hype game.
Sounds like how I used to buy games twice because of Sony’s Steam delays. But I got over that and has now got used to ignore them until they come to Steam. Haven’t bought a console version since Forbidden West in 2022. Hoping to hear something about FFXVI later this year.
Could sell the console tbh but I keep it for demos like Stellar Blade and as a Blu-ray player.
Hoping they release Astro Bot on PC when they have a PC launcher, I doubt it’ll come to Steam, seems too Playstation focused for a normal multiplat.

Totally tangential to xbox latest... ehhhhh mixed tactics as of late with the price increases and shit:

I really, really can't wait for another CEO to come in to see what xbox fans really thinks of Phil. The predictable shit slinging by the same people who defended him like he was family will be a comedy goldmine. Oh, he will be enter the halls of scapegoats right next to Mattrick where the fans didn't say shit while they were in power.

Last edited:

Three

Kudos to thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best for getting a lot of things right here 2 years ago:

GHG

Gold Member
Kudos to thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best for getting a lot of things right here 2 years ago:

Some of the replies are GOLD.

Poor O Ozriel

This reads like wishful thinking on OP's part. A future where MS goes fully third party, essentially abandons the console market, neuters Gamepass and inexplicably makes their consoles Steam machines where 99% of the software revenue goes to Steam.

We're half way there (if not fully) on most of those points.

adamsapple

Eh, the only thing he got right was phasing out Gold. Even that is more of a rebrand with asterisks and not phased out as a service.

Sorcerer

It looks great initially, until you realize you can't possibly play all those games, not even most of them, before they disappear off the service. If you are into rpg's you loss is even greater. How do others deal with dlc? Do you buy dlc for a game you don't own and will disappear, do you justify it because you did not have to purchase the game? Or does Gamepass make one avoid dlc at all cost?
If one was really into the first party stuff that never leaves okay maybe, but you still do not get dlc with the game.

From what I understand Sony does not even keep first party stuff locked in, that disappears as well. I could be wrong about that.

When I was using Gamepass during the pandemic all this dawned on me, and I guess I had too much fomo while actually using the service to truly enjoy it and went back to Steam.

laynelane

Developers will be treated better, they'll be able to unionize, old IPs will be revitalized, the entire ABK catalogue will be day one on Game Pass for all customers, Game Pass prices won't go up because of the acquisition, etc. - the acquisition of ABK by a soulless corporation like MS was going to solve everything and anything. I realize MS is comfortable with lying continually to their customers and fans, but it was insane seeing how many people actually believed them.

Three

Eh, the only thing he got right was phasing out Gold. Even that is more of a rebrand with asterisks and not phased out as a service.
You're giving him too little credit. He may not have got it 100% right but keep in mind this was in 2022. He predicted xbox hardware moving more towards a PC hardware device. He predicted more native ports on Playstation and Switch, he predicted less day 1 on gamepass (though he was saying specific titles) now it's turned into not getting day one on standard gamepass.

It looks great initially, until you realize you can't possibly play all those games, not even most of them, before they disappear off the service. If you are into rpg's you loss is even greater. How do others deal with dlc? Do you buy dlc for a game you don't own and will disappear, do you justify it because you did not have to purchase the game? Or does Gamepass make one avoid dlc at all cost?
If one was really into the first party stuff that never leaves okay maybe, but you still do not get dlc with the game.

From what I understand Sony does not even keep first party stuff locked in, that disappears as well. I could be wrong about that.

When I was using Gamepass during the pandemic all this dawned on me, and I guess I had too much fomo while actually using the service to truly enjoy it and went back to Steam.

That's actually not an issue. I wish my issue was I can't play all this before it leaves. That would mean there's tons of stuff I want to play but I just don't have enough time. This is a case where I literally have played everything I wanted, the games I wanted to try I did and didn't enjoy them. Then I have nothing left. The DLC they make you pay for but that never bothered me because like 99% of the time I do not buy DLC. Hell sometimes I buy one of those GOTY editions and still skip the DLC.

The main thing with these services is that while it is a lot of games it's just not games I want to play. Which is crazy considering how many games are in my backlog but like none of them are in a sub service.

When I was still on PC gaming I ended up going back to Steam also. I think one of the main things that kind of bothered me which might seem silly was my plats.. I got the plat for Scarlett Nexus but then the game left the service and now it just felt like I didn't get the plat now. So what am I going to do? Buy the game on the windows store? Hell no. I didn't like that feeling. When I plat a game I want to see it there. Like in Steam they have your platted games under a special section called completed or something like that. I liked that.

Fess

Totally tangential to xbox latest... ehhhhh mixed tactics as of late with the price increases and shit:

I really, really can't wait for another CEO to come in to see what xbox fans really thinks of Phil. The predictable shit slinging by the same people who defended him like he was family will be a comedy goldmine. Oh, he will be enter the halls of scapegoats right next to Mattrick where the fans didn't say shit while they were in power.
Sarah Bond has been the Xbox president for awhile now, Phil is the multiplat Microsoft Gaming CEO. No idea who’s to blame for the decisions lately but I wouldn’t expect any big changes if Phil would leave. It’s a big tree of branches with 10+ people in leadership roles pulling their strings.

Maybe things will change if Satya do a nuclear move and remove them all.

But what should they do instead?
Go back to Xbox-only exclusives and no PC versions for all their 1st party studios and no subs and sell everything at $70?

Too late for that. And it would suck.
Just buy a PC and be happy. Day 1 is there and the better versions. And buy their Steam versions if you want to own games.

Sarah Bond has been the Xbox president for awhile now, Phil is the multiplat Microsoft Gaming CEO. No idea who’s to blame for the decisions lately but I wouldn’t expect any big changes if Phil would leave. It’s a big tree of branches with 10+ people in leadership roles pulling their strings.

Maybe things will change if Satya do a nuclear move and remove them all.

But what should they do instead?
Go back to Xbox-only exclusives and no PC versions for all their 1st party studios and no subs and sell everything at $70?

Too late for that. And it would suck.
Just buy a PC and be happy. Day 1 is there and the better versions. And buy their Steam versions if you want to own games.
Nah I'm happy with Sony and Nintendo, they make games not business models and they make a lot of good ones

Also I was a PC gamer before Xbox existed so I'm about 20 years ahead of you there too

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I’m starting to gravitate back to PC as well. Mainly because there are more games I like to play there than on the console at the moment.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Some of the replies are GOLD.

Poor O Ozriel

We're half way there (if not fully) on most of those points.

‘Fully third party’? No
‘Neuters Gamepass’? Partial
‘abandons the console market’? Nyet
‘Turns Xbox to a Steam machine’? Nein

Maths certainly isn’t your strong point, eh?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
cry baby GIF

Apart from it's not trolling, I'm 100% sincere.

If you actually want to add value to this thread, feel free to explain why a price increase in addition to them removing "day one" isn't indicative of anything.

I got a letter, the name on the envelope said, " GHG GHG ". My trolls name. It's ridiculous. Couldn't possibly be true. That's what I keep telling myself. A troll can't write a letter. GHG GHG died of trolling three years ago. So then, why am I looking for him. "Our special place". What could he mean? This whole forum was our special place. Does he mean the Xbox Game Pass thread? We spent the whole day there, just the two of us, staring at XBros. Could GHG GHG really be there? Is he really alive? Waiting for me?

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: GHG

Ozriel

M$FT

feynoob

Banned
The word ‘full’ has a defined meaning in the dictionary. Let’s not change it here.
One an object is set in motion, it will achieve its target. MS started the process already. In 3-5 years time, you will see the results.
Putting Xbox games on GFN and Boosteroid = abandoning consoles. Right.
No, but language is clear. "No need for the console". That is enough to make people not buy the console.
You can run PC games on your xbox in retail mode?
switch the wording.
We said Sony will never put their games on PC. Yet here we are now.

Ozriel

M$FT
No, but language is clear. "No need for the console". That is enough to make people not buy the console.

They’ve been talking up and pushing XCloud for years now. Their games have been Day 1 on PC since 2017.

People are still buying the consoles.

We said Sony will never put their games on PC. Yet here we are now.

‘We’? Sony’s been putting their games on PC since 2021.

Bernardougf

I understand that you cant read that much, but these games wont stay there after 1 year of them being on the service. I have to play them during that year. And with time, you cant play them.

The games that I bought here, would stay on my library for 10+ years.
If you are not letting MS decide what you should play you are part of the " choose and buy games" problem! Do better! Evolve! See the light! Phil will lead you there.

feynoob

Banned
They’ve been talking up and pushing XCloud for years now. Their games have been Day 1 on PC since 2017.

People are still buying the consoles.
Difference between doing gamepass day vs cloud gaming that advertises the no need for console.
‘We’? Sony’s been putting their games on PC since 2021.
Do you live in a cave? PS PC was not something people expected.

Top Bottom