• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

GHG

Gold Member
‘Fully third party’? No
‘Neuters Gamepass’? Partial
‘abandons the console market’? Nyet
‘Turns Xbox to a Steam machine’? Nein

Maths certainly isn’t your strong point, eh?

1. Half way there.
2. Neutered on console (for anyone who isn't an ultimate subscriber)
3. Soon. They are already going in that direction across EMEA.
4. Soon if the rumours are to be believed.

Let's revisit in 18 months time shall we? Because the evolution since you wrote that post in response to thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best hasn't been kind to you.

Confused Saved By The Bell GIF by PeacockTV

Damn right I am. I know you have contacts that are close to Xbox/Microsoft but in everything you said you didnt warn/tell us about the change in tiers along with the price increases. I could be wrong, but I'm getting the impression that you're predominantly being told what you'd want to hear?

The two things that are undefeated so far are that random discord leak/insider and what S SneakersSO has shared with us here. Based on those two things it's looking like everything O Ozriel is in denial about (or dismissing as trolling/fan-Fiction) is coming to pass.

The bottom line is, with the current performance of Xbox as a console brand, it doesn't take a genius to work out why things are transpiring as they are at the moment.

feynoob

Banned
The bottom line is, with the current performance of Xbox as a console brand, it doesn't take a genius to work out why things are transpiring as they are at the moment.
Xbox as a brand was doing good until Activision purchase hit them hard.

67b meant that MS suits is now hands on Xbox. Take Activision blizzard and Xbox would have been in different position.

Klayzer

1. Half way there.

Let's revisit in 18 months time shall we? Because the evolution since you wrote that post in response to thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best hasn't been kind to you.

Damn right I am. I know you have contacts that are close to Xbox/Microsoft but in everything you said you didnt warn/tell us about the change in tiers along with the price increases. I could be wrong, but I'm getting the impression that you're predominantly being told what you'd want to hear?

The two things that are undefeated so far are that random discord leak/insider and what S SneakersSO has shared with us here. Based on those two things it's looking like everything O Ozriel is in denial about (or dismissing as trolling/fan-Fiction) is coming to pass.

Good luck with Old Oz. He's a fighter to the very end.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
1. Half way there.

Thing is 90% of what I hear I won’t repeat because I won’t burn my trust i have with these guys and 100% I didn’t know about price increases and even if I did it’s not something I would share here

i won’t warn people of bad news that will come on its own

What I enjoy actually doing is repeating things I hear on hardware especially if I feel it’s big enough to warrant flying near the sun like brining up close to something like 10 months ago that MS wanted to jump ahead with the much more powerful next box a good two years ahead of the PS6

I am the one who first started putting numbers out there for the PS5 Pro

I don’t hear just what I want to hear, I only repeat what I want to repeat

I don’t owe anyhow here any warnings on anything

I will share info as I desire which has become less and less because of some people here taking shit to PMs

So many wonder why actual people who are in the know don’t frequent these very forums or interact here anymore.

NickFire

Thing is 90% of what I hear I won’t repeat because I won’t burn my trust i have with these guys and 100% I didn’t know about price increases and even if I did it’s not something I would share here

What I enjoy actually doing is repeating things I hear on hardware especially if I feel it’s big enough to warrant flying near the sun like brining up close to something like 10 months ago that MS wanted to jump ahead with the much more powerful next box a good two years ahead of the PS6

I will share info as I desire which has become less and less because of some people here taking shit to PMs

So many wonder why actual people who are in the know don’t frequent these very forums or interact here anymore.
I like reading stuff from both of you guys. And I totally understand why you hold things back. But that last line.…

I don’t know. Maybe the spicy enthusiasm is why. But when I think back to when things actually changed. Mmmmmmmmm. I don‘t think that’s why. I think the people posting in some places but not here just like their echo chamber and/or have to keep up appearances until the accountants direct them to target less “modern” audiences to make money again. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Xbox as a brand was doing good until Activision purchase hit them hard.
KYEAoo.gif

Most public personas aren't going to post on GAF because of the stigma associated with this place. That's not to say the tenor of our discourse is ideal, but we aren't going to reach that hurdle in the list of things holding us back.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just loaded up a bit more but I don't think I'm maxed out .. is it 2 year max now?

3 years.

rCGsY38.png

1. Half way there.

200.gif

Last edited:

ZehDon

... but in everything you said you didnt warn/tell us about the change in tiers along with the price increases ...
Look, let's be real for a second: this forum is not entitled to any kind of "warning" about things coming down the pipe. I enjoy what we have, but never frown at what isn't handed out. Let's keep perspective, hey?

adamsapple

5/3/2027

wCJ1qwG.jpeg

In all fairness I was just looking to get Phil's personal instagram account :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Jokes aside, it's a weird thing when someone you've replied to a bit spicy starts taking the conversation over PM, I've had more than one instance of that and I don't want to get into PM discussions with folks either so I get what you're saying.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member

I view the nuggets you post as someone who is connected and not a traditional "insider." You have been very clear and open about how you get info and the info you provide. I understand your point of view because there is no way I would risk putting a friend in a bad position for a little internet cred.

Topher

Gold Member
I view the nuggets you post as someone who is connected and not a traditional "insider." You have been very clear and open about how you get info and the info you provide. I understand your point of view because there is no way I would risk putting a friend in a bad position for a little internet cred.

I thought we said we were going to make HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 miserable for holding out on us.

sigh.....cancelling my waterboard order on Amazon

Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless

Ozriel

M$FT
1. Half way there.

The irony is, you’re the one getting worked up about all this, for a platform you don’t own, and a service you don’t use 🤣

But sure, it’ll be interesting to see where we stand in 18 months time. For now, rumors and speculation are doing a ton of heavy lifting.

GHG

Gold Member
The irony is, you’re the one getting worked up about all this, for a platform you don’t own, and a service you don’t use 🤣

Ah here you are again, I wondered when you'd revert back to your default state.

Every screen is an Xbox remember, I'm as much of the community as you are whether you like it or not. Dismissing people's thoughts on the platform based on whether or not they own an Xbox console didn't work for you then, and it certainly won't start working for you now.

But sure, it’ll be interesting to see where we stand in 18 months time. For now, rumors and speculation are doing a ton of heavy lifting.

Open your eyes, it's what's actually happening (or has happened) that has done all the "heavy lifting" for the last decade now. You think the general consumer cares about rumours and speculation or do they look at the product that's presented to them at the time and make an assessment on whether it's worth their money?

Ozriel

M$FT
Ah here you are again, I wondered when you'd revert back to your default state.

Every screen is an Xbox remember, I'm as much of the community as you are whether you like it or not. Dismissing people's thoughts on the platform based on whether or not they own an Xbox console didn't work for you then, and it certainly won't start working for you now.

Open your eyes, it's what's actually happening (or has happened) that has done all the "heavy lifting" for the last decade now. You think the general consumer cares about rumours and speculation or do they look at the product that's presented to them at the time and make an assessment on whether it's worth their money?

I don’t dismiss opinions out of hand. Everything flies, as long as it makes sense. I’d prefer to argue based on what is known and is likely, than wild speculation made in bad faith.

For example, this time last year the ‘accepted truth’ was that MS had a board level plan to monopolize gaming and drive competition out of business 😃

Early February, the wild predictions were that a full pivot to day 1 third party was going to be announced at the February briefing. Then that milestone moved to E3 2024. Now that’s moved to ‘soon’…which you’ve now translated as 18 months.

Lol @ ‘didn’t work for you’. It does seem to provide you some comfort to imagine I’m grieving changes that barely impact me in the grand scheme of things.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, now from one rumour from the Verge we have people thinking it is 100% fact that Microsoft are pulling out of Europe with Xbox consoles....

I mean, we can all see it happening but what is it with this forum believing every negative rumour about xbox and running with it? Yes anything positive is met with a "yeah, right"

GHG

Gold Member
I don’t dismiss opinions out of hand. Everything flies, as long as it makes sense. I’d prefer to argue based on what is known and is likely, than wild speculation made in bad faith.

For example, this time last year the ‘accepted truth’ was that MS had a board level plan to monopolize gaming and drive competition out of business 😃

The emails from Booty and Phil show that was indeed their intention. However their incompetence paired with their inability to execute has been their downfall (just as it has been throughout the entirety of their tenure). So moves that were intended to spend the competition "out of business", turn companies in to "blockbuster" and give rise to "career moments" have ultimately resulted in shooting themselves in the foot to the extent that they've been forced to pivot, which is what we are witnessing play out in real time at the moment.

Early February, the wild predictions were that a full pivot to day 1 third party was going to be announced at the February briefing. Then that milestone moved to E3 2024. Now that’s moved to ‘soon’…which you’ve now translated as 18 months.

I've not transitioned anything in terms of timing. It's all happening now but you seem to still be in denial about it. The reason I've suggested 18 months is because by then you might have been able to appropritaely rationalise it, meaning we can actually have a discussion about it. Baby steps.

Lol @ ‘didn’t work for you’. It does seem to provide you some comfort to imagine I’m grieving changes that barely impact me in the grand scheme of things.

You sure about that?:

I have no idea how this could work without completely destroying the Xbox brand.

No confidence that Phil knows what he’s doing, tbh.

sweating key and peele GIF

laynelane

So, now from one rumour from the Verge we have people thinking it is 100% fact that Microsoft are pulling out of Europe with Xbox consoles....

I mean, we can all see it happening but what is it with this forum believing every negative rumour about xbox and running with it? Yes anything positive is met with a "yeah, right"

I think part of the reason is statements like this:

Sarah Bond: "We know our core users love Game Pass. Game Pass is a gaming subscription, you get a whole portfolio of games, but importantly, you get every single one of our games we build day one in Game Pass. And the quality and the breath of those games has only been going up over time and you're going to some more really big games going into Game Pass this year...across the whole slate, you're going to see some really amazing things and keeping that is something that is really special for Xbox players is central for us."

Source.

This article is dated the 10th of May, 2024. Now here we are in July and it turns out not all games are coming to Game Pass day one. You have to purchase the most expensive tier for that to happen. The above, when Bond said it, was positive news about Xbox. It took two months for that to be untrue. There's been too many cases like this. That is likely why many people have become a little more circumspect about unquestioningly believing what Phil and co. say.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I've not transitioned anything in terms of timing. It's all happening now but you seem to still be in denial about it. The reason I've suggested 18 months is because by then you might have been able to appropritaely rationalise it, meaning we can actually have a discussion about it. Baby steps.

So in 18 months they’ll have gone full third party, stopped selling Xbox hardware, install Steam and shutter GamePass?

I’ll set a mental reminder.

You sure about that?:

sweating key and peele GIF

How does me saying I have no confidence in what Phil is hinting at wrt to ‘Steam on Xbox’ translate to heartbreak at a $3 increase to GamePass Ultimate pricing? 🤣

GHG

Gold Member
So in 18 months they’ll have gone full third party, stopped selling Xbox hardware, install Steam and shutter GamePass?

I'll estimate that by that time at least 80% of the games they publish will also release on other consoles, if not all.

It's looking like they will have "Xbox" branded windows PC's/handhelds (why people need this I don't know) but no longer a pipeline of traditional consoles. Personally I think it would be a terrible idea for them to allow Steam to be installed on those machines, but they will probably do it. They are between a rock and a hard place on this point - if you can't treat it like you would an open PC then who is really purchasing a ~$1000 box that only has access to the windows/xbox store? However if they open it up then it suddenly has potential appeal to the entirety of the current PC gaming market, but they would have to accept they will completely forgo the vast majority of any fee based (store cuts) or recurring revenue (paid online) outside of gamepass subscriptions.

I've never said they will completely shut down gamepass, but further enshittification will take place. Currently unless you get the ultimate tier the offering is not what was originally on the tin, especially from the perspective of what differentiated it from other gaming subscription services (all games day one).

How does me saying I have no confidence in what Phil is hinting at wrt to ‘Steam on Xbox’ translate to heartbreak at a $3 increase to GamePass Ultimate pricing? 🤣

We are talking about everything that's been taking place. We are talking about all of the points you mentioned in response to that previous thread. This isn't about your reaction to the price increase in isolation, and it never has been.

The thing you need to realise is the fact that when you're so aggressive in your dismissals when you hear/read things you don't like regarding the potential directions the Xbox brand is going in, people will be less sympathetic towards you when those very same things do indeed end up happening.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I’ll set a mental reminder.

I'll estimate that by that time at least 80% of the games they publish will also release on other consoles, if not all.

It's looking like they will have "Xbox" branded windows PC's/handhelds (why people need this I don't know) but no longer a pipeline of traditional consoles. Personally I think it would be a terrible idea for them to allow Steam to be installed on those machines, but they will probably do it. They are between a rock and a hard place on this point - if you can't treat it like you would an open PC then who is really purchasing a ~$1000 box that only has access to the windows/xbox store? However if they open it up then it suddenly has potential appeal to the entirety of the current PC gaming market, but they would have to accept they will completely forgo the vast majority of any fee based (store cuts) or recurring revenue (paid online) outside of gamepass subscriptions.

I've never said they will completely shut down gamepass, but further enshittification will take place. Currently unless you get the ultimate tier the offering is not what was originally on the tin, especially from the perspective of what differentiated it from other gaming subscription services (all games day one).

We are talking about everything that's been taking place. We are talking about all of the points you mentioned in response to that previous thread. This isn't about your reaction to the price increase in isolation, and it never has been.

The thing you need to realise is the fact that when you're so aggressive in your dismissals when you hear/read things you don't like regarding the potential directions the Xbox brand is going in, people will be less sympathetic towards you when those very same things do indeed end up happening.

I think this is a solid outlook.

So by around Feb of 2026 there is a belief that 80 percent of all Xbox titles will be on competing consoles day one. Let's see how this pans out.

I can't wait to see what Microsoft push as hardware next time....if there is a next time.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, the question is....What is the easiest way to stack Gamepass now, if you currently have a Sub? I can still extend up to 3 years before September right?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You can still stack Game Pass Ultimate and PC Game Pass like you did before. It's just Xbox Game Pass for consoles that has a 13 month limit.

Oh, Nice! that's good then. So the uproar is about this blatantly shit new entry tier.

I thought they were stripping back ultimate with how long you can sub for.

Topher

Gold Member
I think folks are wildly misreading that.

I just checked my rewards app and see 2 new auto redeem tiles with higher point values. I think they're just removing the 10.5k GPU redemption ones.

UJZGyeh.jpeg

No, people are not "wildly misreading" anything. If it is bullshit then it is because the notice was written incorrectly. That's on the writers, not the readers.

Kudos to thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best for getting a lot of things right here 2 years ago:

Ah man, that brings back some memories 😂 Almost two years ago too.

At this point just waiting to hear news of Game Pass for PlayStation 5 and Switch 2. That'll be a massive one.

adamsapple

No, people are not "wildly misreading" anything. If it is bullshit then it is because the notice was written incorrectly. That's on the writers, not the readers.

I didn't get the message at all and looks like you didn't either. Either something shot off prematurely or maybe they're just targeting accounts they feel do bogus searches etc for quick redemption, they've done that before. I dunno.

1. Half way there.

Theory time:

S SneakersSO and Gestridens are the same person 😲

FWIW I still think MS are going to launch new hardware in 2026 that will be above a PS5 Pro in performance capabilities. It's just not going to be a console.

It's probably going to be a console-like PC. Just not sure if it'll run on Windows or run on Xbox OS. They still seem to want to push Game Pass hard and they'd still need a box they can guarantee Game Pass is the primary service on; they can't get that with Amazon or Windows, they're too open-ended. But Xbox as a traditional console has no future, so they can't just repeat what they've done with Series.

I'm leaning towards, the next Xbox systems being based on a spec MS & OEMs build around, still running Xbox OS, with extended Windows features to run whitelisted Windows apps on the system (without a Dev Mode), downloaded through the Windows/Microsoft Store. And more importantly, they probably tie access to Steam and other storefronts through Game Pass tier subscriptions on these systems. Depending on form factor, also modular systems (upgradable system RAM, upgradable (approved) low-profile GPUs, adjustable clock & power settings in main UI, etc.). All licensees being able to customize the UI frontend to their liking or add extended functions, but have to maintain basic compatibility.

That's the only way I can see a new Xbox actually working hardware-wise, at least for the next few years. Well, at least one where they still want to keep what console audience they have in Game Pass still fully locked in. I don't know the degree of work MS'd have to do to get all OG Xbox, 360, XBO, Series S and Series X binaries running well on Windows. I guess they could always try buying or licensing an existing emulator but a lot of these emulators are made on open licenses so not sure how that would work. There's also the fact that, at least it feels like, bringing all the Xbox stuff to Windows would be a larger undertaking than bringing required Windows stuff to the Xbox side. There's all levels of stability & performance they'd have to account for with the former, and that wouldn't let them leverage the Xbox brand naming too much (not like it's worth a ton these days anyhow in most parts of the world).

Personally I think they might still roll with systems mainly running Xbox OS and whitelisting Windows apps, tying Game Pass as the big push with alt-storefront access tied to a subscription etc. for a few years then maybe sometime after 2030 they pull the trigger and push everything Xbox to Windows, tie that with another hardware refresh and necessary changes and just go that way from that point onward. That's when they could finally sunset Xbox OS, and probably drop support for by-then ancient systems (Series S, Series X), especially if they aren't going to allow Windows on those systems for reasons.

For a while I've been thinking how realistic is it for MS to move everything Xbox over to Windows vs. just (for a few years) bringing more Windows to Xbox? Because in my head the latter seems easier and less herculean a task, and it'd also give them an excuse to monetize access to other storefronts like Steam: you just lock access to a Game Pass subscription.

Whatever they do for the next Xbox devices, it's going to be at least somewhat awkward. Like you said, simply slapping the Xbox brand on otherwise Windows-based PCs and handhelds doesn't make any sense; the brand isn't strong enough for OEMs to bother with increase in supply, and their volumes would otherwise be low enough to where they could just with an in-house brand and sell just as much (possibly a bit more). Just having OEMs pay out for an Xbox label on Windows machines will make that type of push DOA.

So it has to be more substantive than that. Moving everything Xbox over to Windows, and getting it to behave like the current consoles do (including in terms of stability & security) would require kernel-level changes to Windows and, probably, BIOS/UEFI privileges to Windows that OEMs would have to be OK with. That could take a while. Can anyone really picture Windows as-is being fully accessible with a controller? That's the type of integration Microsoft'd need, that could be 5+ years out and they don't have 5 years to wait for new hardware: Series X & S are dying right now.

Just seems like for hardware they'd want 4, 3, even 2 years from now, integrating more Windows features to Xbox would make more sense. They kind of already have that with the Dev Mode stuff; they'd just need to make Dev Mode features a standard thing, more neatly integrated, build some version of Windows/Microsoft Store for Xbox OS and let users install whitelisted apps through that. As for stuff like Steam, no matter what I highly doubt Valve will take any time to build a specific app just for Xbox, I don't know how much they'd let Microsoft compile a version for Xbox OS either. So best option is just to extend Windows features/utilities that Steam needs to Xbox OS, then give Steam the system resources it needs to run like it would on a desktop Windows.

And then the trick: just lock access to Steam to a Game Pass subscription. So even if the (high likelihood) Microsoft lose revenue because people are using Steam instead, at least they're still getting money off Steam access on their hardware. They'd have to strike a balance between that and other things like hardware modularity, to justify a higher upfront cost (not TOO much higher, maybe like $100 - $200 more than the current systems are) and have a good enough pitch to sell what they make, even if the volume of hardware is going to be lower anyway ("lower" compared to typical XBO production...Series S/X might not even do 4.5 million this FY. Depending on # of OEMs and form factors I think future Xbox hardware could do fine with ~ 3.5 - 4 million annually because the business model would be so much different from what Series X & S are struggling with).

Last edited:

Doczu

God damn i've seen so many people on the internet being baffled and "really surprised" that MS started chargung more and created a new, shittier tier.

That's a level of retardation that is beyond belief. Subscriptions always lead to shitification of the service provided, best you xbox fans prepare your asses for more pounding for your dollars

lachesis

Gold Member
For some reason, my GPU price is still being shown at 14.99 (I've stacked till this coming Nov, so it will be 1st time they'll charge since 2020).
Wonder if they are going to change that to the new pricing or keep honoring old price?

Anyhow, I'm thinking about cutting it off. It has been a nice service, but not at $20 bucks.
XSX will be my dedicated BC machine for some games I have (NGB/NGII, Blue Dragon, Last Odyssey, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon Orta etc)
PS5... not sure. All the games that I like (Japanese games) are almost 90% simultaneously available on Steam with native language selection that's not available in U.S. PS release, so I had not bought a single PS5 exclusive game for it since launch. Only thing that I'm interested at this point is Stella Blade - but I have other games to play in my backlog and is way down on the list of things to play.... and not sure how long it will stay PS exclusive either.

I'll just move onto PC as main gaming platform + Nintendo. One thing for sure is that I won't be jumping into console at launch, depending on how they treat their exclusives and ecosystem, which really makes the console unique in my point of view... and this gen, for both Xbox and PS, it's been a great let down.

buenoblue

I've bought every Xbox on release apart from series x. Now I just sub to gamepass PC 1 or 2 months a year. I used to buy every first party Xbox game day 1 for 20 years!

Now they have made it an option to give them £2-£14 a year it's insane and has totally devalued the brand.

Same as EA. Bought every FIFA Day 1 for 25 years plus many many EA games day 1 full price. Now I sub 2 months a year for like £8

Yet I've spent like £ 500 on Sony and Nintendo games this year alone, thousands of pounds in the last 4 years.

Yet I've given Microsoft probably £30 max in 4 years and still managed to play all of their games. Shit don't make no sense.

Top Bottom