• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

Taur007

The second “small price hike” in a little over a year, while also adding a separate tier that backpedals on years of their Game Pass marketing (“Play day one on Game Pass”), and stealthily modifying their existing console tier to try and have people slip out of the grandfathered tier in order to pay more for the same service. Edit: For someone who buys an Xbox today, there are now three “Game Pass” options but only one that actually provides the day one games Microsoft has so heavily advertised for the last 5+ years.

And all this after they claimed the ABK acquisition wouldn’t cause prices to increase. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that the prices are going up just before COD drops and just after they mentioned slowly adding ABK’s library to Game Pass, right? 🙄

This is you right now, my friend:

ePaoOiM.jpeg
cool, now name all the companies that haven't had price increases recently?

news is trickle down.

gonna be honest.... but I have a gut feeling Sarah Bond is going to leave Xbox.

She's there at the hardware side to help transition them to a "new" (for Xbox) device type, I'm guessing the rumored handheld and whatever the non-handheld next-gen hardware ends up being.

After that though, she could definitely part ways, or maybe Microsoft just keeps her as a retainer on the off-season (when not making new hardware). Someone else could always be hired to spearhead day-to-day hardware operations once the base for it has been built.

She's there at the hardware side to help transition them to a "new" (for Xbox) device type, I'm guessing the rumored handheld and whatever the non-handheld next-gen hardware ends up being.

After that though, she could definitely part ways, or maybe Microsoft just keeps her as a retainer on the off-season (when not making new hardware). Someone else could always be hired to spearhead day-to-day hardware operations once the base for it has been built.
i know, but it's more like...."Oh, this place it's just a mess... I'm out"

Fess

Superfan Jez on X put up an article. The Core to Ultimate conversion still works. I was sure they had plugged that hole but I could stack til 2026 for roughly $6/month even though I’ve already done two stacking periods with Live Gold and EA Play. I planned to just go with PC Gamepass but that would’ve been twice as much.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why are you pretending this is just about price increases?
You can still get the same thing for a higher price.

It is more than that but as far as what “GamePass” historically was it still exists and just costs more.

They already diluted the “day one” thing months ago with the merging with Gold so that part isn’t really new either just more shit tiers.

Topher

Gold Member

It is more than that but as far as what “GamePass” historically was it still exists and just costs more.

They already diluted the “day one” thing months ago with the merging with Gold so that part isn’t really new either just more shit tiers.

Gold was simply renamed Core. No one claimed that "diluted" the "day one thing" then. Either way, this debate is clearly more than just about a "price increase". That's my point.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Core was simply renamed Gold. No one claimed that "diluted" the "day one thing" then. Either way, this debate is clearly more than just about a "price increase". That's my point.
Nobody saying anything then is my point. It’s been like 10 months since we had a version of GamePass that didn’t come with day one games.

They already changed that precedent.

reinking

Gold Member

There is no denying that Game Pass was built around day one. This destroys that to the point that they can no longer use their marketing tag line that has been ingrained into each of our minds.

Topher

Gold Member
Nobody saying anything then is my point. It’s been like 10 months since we had a version of GamePass that didn’t come with day one games.

They already changed that precedent.

Microsoft has expanded the "no day one thing" to other tiers. That's still still not just about a "price increase".

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

There is no denying that Game Pass was built around day one. This destroys that to the point that they can no longer use their marketing tag line that has been ingrained into each of our minds.
Why are you saying this to me? Lol

They did that 10 months ago.

IntentionalPun

10 months ago Microsoft renamed Xbox Live Gold to Game Pass Core.

You are suggesting that in doing so Microsoft took away day one games from Game Pass.

That's bullshit.
Read the post I just responded to.

How is what I said false?

10 months ago they destroyed the ability to market GamePass as a day one game service.

Because they literally have had for 10 months a tier of GamePass that didn’t offer day one games.

feynoob

Banned
Let's not lose brain cells here. Day1 is still there.

laynelane

Why are you saying this to me? Lol

They did that 10 months ago.

But Gold never had day one releases of new games. Core is an evolution of Gold. They just added a perk of included games for people to play. That's why no one complained. No one expected to get day one releases with Gold or later with Core. They did with Game Pass and even as of a couple months ago, that feature was still being stressed as an ongoing benefit by Xbox leadership.

feynoob

Banned
Toph, we know why they increased the price.

They aren't removing Day1 games. They don't want to lose money from COD Day1, so they increasing the price tag, while introducing a new tier for the old price tag.

IntentionalPun

But Gold never had day one releases of new games. Core is an evolution of Gold. They just added a perk of included games for people to play. That's why no one complained. No one expected to get day one releases with Gold or later with Core. They did with Game Pass and even as of a couple months ago, that feature was still being stressed as an ongoing benefit by Xbox leadership.
No one said otherwise.

GamePass has had a tier with no day one games for 10 months. Now re readt the postI of yours I had responded to.

They change the precedent you are describing 10 months ago. It’s just a fact.

The tiers of a video game rental service keep changing.:.. I’m gonna personally move on with my weekend and stop reading this thread lol

Last edited:

laynelane

No one said otherwise.

GamePass has had a tier with no day one games for 10 months. Now re readt the postI of yours I had responded to.

The tiers of a video game rental service keep changing.:.. I’m gonna personally move on with my weekend and stop reading this thread lol

I suspect this is an 'agree to disagree' situation. I'm not a huge fan of the semantics game.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
No one said otherwise.

This silly confusion is thanks to MS stupid naming shit.

Core=Xbox live Gold
PC
New tier gamepass= same as old ultimate, just no Day1.
Ultimate just new price tag, nothing is changing there.

feynoob

Banned
It's just bullshit. Ignore it. Might as well be talking to a politician.
The guy swindled MS in to buying Activision blizzard. He is better than politicians.

If he was running for president, he would have won it easily with his snake oil lips.

Bernardougf

Microsoft isn't stupid, it knows that people will sign up to Game Pass because of CoD
Maybe a few but it wont move the needle one bit ... anyone that wants gamepass already have it ... it dosent make sense paying 20 dollars a month just to rent COD if you can buy the game and own it forever . This price increase and the other things being done are to milk the loyalists and nothing more.

feynoob

Banned
Maybe a few but it wont move the needle one bit ... anyone that wants gamepass already have it ... it dosent make sense paying 20 dollars a month just to rent COD if you can buy the game and own it forever . This price increase and the other things being done are to milk the loyalists and nothing more.
You are underestimating the average users.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have they released Activision's new games on it to take losses yet? Why does when it closed matter?

Cause the post I quoted was citing a statement where it clearly states that there will not be a price increase on the service because of the acquisition completion.

There wasn't.

They removed a perk from an extisting tier. That's a completely different precedent to a rebrand

Standard is a newly classified tier. Console, the existing tier, still gets day 1 and even retains the same price. New customers just can't buy into that tier anymore.

Apologize for being wrong, ass.
chicote-whip.gif

Last edited:

Taur007

well what is it about? i mean WE ALL knew this was coming and for $20 it's still a steal "for me" considering the amount of content i play on there. find it funny sony raises ps5 prices twice so far this gen and no one bats an eye cause it still sells, but evil MS does it by a whopping $3 and it's the end of the world.

bender

What time is it?
well what is it about? i mean WE ALL knew this was coming and for $20 it's still a steal "for me" considering the amount of content i play on there. find it funny sony raises ps5 prices twice so far this gen and no one bats an eye cause it still sells, but evil MS does it by a whopping $3 and it's the end of the world.

Phil just can't catch a break.

200w.gif

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Didn't take long for #SonyToo lol

To be honest people shit on SONy too, difference being that whoever stayed are coping with the "value". Me and many others just let our subscription end and dont plan on ever subscribing again. It ws mainly used for online in my case and that was pretty much for GT7 only The monthly games dont mean a thing to me because I was day 1 PS fan so I pretty much played already everythign that was worth playing.

Gamepass on the other hand for me is a way better deal, especially for day 1 releases as well as a huge library I never played before.

Three

Cause the post I quoted was citing a statement where it clearly states that there will not be a price increase on the service because of the acquisition completion.

There wasn't.
But it doesn't say "no price increase on completion". It says "based on the acquisition". When they haven't added any new ABK games yet, nor most of ABKs games in general before raising the price what does the completion date matter at all? It's clear that they want to raise prices before they do for that very reason.

In fact the $3 increase is very close to what I predicted to cover lost sales of COD on a platform, and they forced everyone who subbed intermittently or on specific months to pay continously to get the previous price, plus have to upgrade to ultimate to even get new games.

CoD usually sells about 30M on all platforms. If we generously assume half of those are on xbox and they all sell at $70. That means gamepass would only need to increase its price by (15M*$70)/(25M*12) = $3.50 per month increase to pay for ALL lost sales of COD on the platform. Increasing the price by $7 per month would be what is financially required to remove all sales on every platform. Of course this is an estimate and the split wouldn't be 50/50, not all sales would be at $70 and subscriber numbers may even be higher than 25M, meaning an even lower price increase required in reality than $3.5 per month. This isn't even mentioning the possible boost to mtx.

Of course I got into arguments with the xbox fanbase who were suggesting they can't put the price up by that much in every thread "because people would unsubscribe" and how they would add the ABK library on/close to completion date because "they did for ZeniMax".

Ok, so if tomorrow gamepass put its price up by $3.50 would you switch to PS+ Extra or Amazon Luna?

The price increase would be to consumers though even though $3.50 extra per month isn't that much. If there is no competition however they can slowly increase it every other year by $1-$2 and people will pay it just like they did for netflix. You boil the frog slowly.

Look what's happened now. They waited on ABK and pumped up the price by that much and got rid of day one on GP standard. The price increase since the ABK deal started has been $5 per month. They had raised it already a year ago and are doing it again now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom