• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

bender

What time is it?
Weren't those mostly because of EGS's exclusivity period on PC?

Not a bad guess. Those are just the few titles that stuck out to me when I eyeballed the lists. The releases seem remarkably close to one another with the Xbox having ~50 or so titles not on PC and PC having ~30 or so titles not on Xbox, but again that has more to do with them only being available on one platform.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
adamsapple adamsapple
take a break and play some games.

I am

1iDVJyy.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
you are all over the place my dude.

Do you see yourself as a dog or something?... not even "trained" dogs act like this

so.. do you see yourself just as a pice of code unable to act outside the instructions you are given?

its embarassing you think you have a smart argument.

1. has MS "trained" it's consumers to not buy games when they market the hell out of Game Pass?

+

2. all the Xbox influencers making songs about Game Pass, telling the audience GP is the best deal in gaming...."oh, I will wait until comes to game pass" etc...

=

we have data and devs saying that GP has indeed hurt games sales in that ecosystem.

thats it, nothing nonsensical about it.

1, you're being quite rude.

2. I am agreeing with you. Of course game pass has hurt sales.

I don't know why you are insulting me and your chosen line of argument.

My only point was. If game pass went away. And you can trail through my past comments where I said as much. I have repeatedly said if the service ends ill just go back to buying games and enjoying rhe time I've played the games.

There are far too many games for the average gamer with an eclectic taste to consume. I might replay a handful of games in my life at this point, but I play a lot of jrpgs now as western gaming has been poop and gamepass has supplied me those in droves.

If gamepass goes away, I'll just buy games again.

I don't understand your line of insulting when I am agreeing with you.

The only other comment I have said is just as people can be trained to not buy games due to gamepass they will learn to buy them again if the service goes away.

In fact. I still regularly buy games on all platforms and I play every platform.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
vFJQBf6.jpeg

Hold up. Is this image legit? It was part of one of the tweets linked here.

Is PC Game Pass offering a better value than Xbox Game Pass Standard? Looks like PC Game Pass will include EA Play and Day One games while the more expensive Xbox Game Pass Standard lacks both those elements. If so, I just don't get it. It's like speed-running the Xbox into irrelevancy.

Wait until you find out what’s been a thing for a decade - that you don’t need a subscription to play online games on PC.

FewRope

He's so delusional and dishonest. I wonder if climbing the American corporate ladder inevitably turns you into a dipshit or if said characteristics are required traits at the very start. Phil's act has worn so hollow that only someone utterly full of himself would still bother putting up said act.
He is also transforming like fucking Palpatine because of it

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Are we really doing the PC is cheaper than consoles thing....We've had bullshit console pricing on online for over a decade now. That is not going to change from either Microsoft or Sony. If it bothers you, come over here and embrace PC. It's the best place to be a gamer.

eerik9000

This isn't about subscription services like PS Now, it's about Game Pass. We all know the history and we all know the differences in the sub services and how they were marketed. Or, in Game Pass' case, the sheer amount of lies from Phil and co. and the astroturfing from everyone else.
I believe my response was to a post that commented how a lot of people begged Sony and Nintendo to come out with their Game Pass alternatives. I just pointed out that Sony already had their own Game Pass years before Game Pass existed. Their business model just did not include devaluing the games that generate hundreds of millions, if not billions, dollars worth of revenue for them. Anyways, it is clear that a lot of creative accounting went into trying to make Game Pass a thing, and that reality has now finally started to settle in.

King Dazzar

Are we really doing the PC is cheaper than consoles thing....We've had bullshit console pricing on online for over a decade now. That is not going to change from either Microsoft or Sony. If it bothers you, come over here and embrace PC. It's the best place to be a gamer.
Unless you're an Xbox fanboi, why would you NOT want Xbox challenged on this? Why defend it? Its an 8 dollar increase to get around the day 1 releases and reach parity with the PC sub.

Sorcerer

He's so delusional and dishonest. I wonder if climbing the American corporate ladder inevitably turns you into a dipshit or if said characteristics are required traits at the very start. Phil's act has worn so hollow that only someone utterly full of himself would still bother putting up said act.
He must be really feeling the heat from the upper echelon of Microsoft. For him to backtrack, outright lie, change course literally every couple of months. You can see the toll it's taken on him. He used to be out there and was very visible, now he seems to be hiding behind press statements and announcements as much as possible. The Activision deal going through is probably his worst nightmare right now. All that money spent and nothing to show for it. I bet this is a guy who hates going to work every day. I wonder how he is viewed with the company?

Last edited:

BigLee74

So after reviewing PS offerings, it would appear that both MS and PS will have three very similar tiers to their gaming subscriptions.

MS top tier (ultimate) is slightly more expensive than PS Premium (£1.50 in the UK) but includes MS first party games day 1 - including the mighty mighty COD.

So at the end of the day, still worth it to me (although I don’t think I’ll get enough monthly reward points to cover the cost of it forever)

But removing day 1 from the tier below (standard) when it used to exist in its old equivalent (console) is definitely a bit of a dick move.

At the end of the day, the worst that could possibly happen is I go back to ‘core’, pay for the games I want, and continue to moan like a bastard at having to pay to play online like I have done since 2008 or thereabouts.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
so all this hoopla for nothing?? As a ultimate owner nothing changes for me except small price increase we all already knew was coming, what's all the doom and gloom about?

What happened to this energy?:

No that's Sony😂😂at least MS fanboys call them out when they're doing wrong for example the Xbox gold price hike just for them to reverse it or the employees free gamepass debacle and they reversed it, Sony fans think Sony does nothin wrong and just bootlick day in and day out and support dumb shit like PAYING additional for your PS5 slim stand.

HQ tell you that it must he defended this time because it isn't changing?

Bernardougf

Parris with some rare good points here.

Nah... he is asking for clarity and transparency in message from the Xbox division ... they haven't done this in years and wont start now...sorry but anyone expecting honesty and coherence from Phil and co. At this point should have his brains checked out.

Topher

Gold Member
Wait until you find out what’s been a thing for a decade - that you don’t need a subscription to play online games on PC.

The post you responded to didn't say otherwise. The fact that the subscription isn't required doesn't mean that the changes to the subscription cannot be scrutinized.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
so all this hoopla for nothing?? As a ultimate owner nothing changes for me except small price increase we all already knew was coming, what's all the doom and gloom about?

I'm glad you said it, I know this is Neogaf, but I can't understand how people have so much energy to pretend a price increase is tantamount to high treason.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm glad you said it, I know this is Neogaf, but I can't understand how people have so much energy to pretend a price increase is tantamount to high treason.

Places that talk about gaming pretty much everywhere are talking about this because it is a fundament change to what Game Pass has always been about: day one first party games. So no......not just about a "price increase".

Bernardougf

You people always fail to see the real problem and try to strawman "neogaf hyperbole" in every bad xbox topic .... if they just kept their mouths shut and do nothing and say nothing and just work, we wouldn't have this discussions, but for every Xbox "controversial" decision there is an executive or PR person saying the opposite not so long ago .... changing tiers and upping prices were expected of course after so many acquisitions and changes... BUT you have record of them saying that they wouldn't do that... thats why Xbox will always be at this stage.. everything is a non issue, everything is persecution and hyperbole, nothing they do or say they are accountable for. You smile, take it in the ass and thanks papa Phil for being so nice and let you finally play call of duty for 20 dollars a month.

Yes Sony upped the ps plus prices, try to find Jimbo or another exectuive saying they wouldn't do that a few months back, wake up and see the difference. Is not hard.

feynoob

Banned
The empire did nothing wrong, except blow up small planet.

Ok then, thats all fine and dandy, explain why the tier that doesn't get COD is getting a price hike while also having perks removed (day one games).
Thats a dick move.

But I will say, as console player I welcome Standard tier, depending on library it has. Way more useful than GP-Console. It will likely be my default tier if it gets same library as GPU minus day 1 releases.

Gamepass Core, if it stays, will likely offer same way of cheap stacking Ultimate. Its useless tier outside of that. Where I live they sell 6 month cards for it. A price hike to that is still OK for me.

SNG32

So basically unless you have ultimate then console is not bad. Gamepass looks more enticing on PC than console. It’s cheaper plus you still get day one games.

Jaybe

Minimizing this as just a price increase is a choice that shows reading comprehension challenges or some weird allegiance to a trillion dollar company. Xbox has dropped its “Day One On Game Pass” from its console game pass subscription. It was effectively the defining point of differentiation and continually reinforced in showcases and marketing. For console only gamers that want this feature, the price has increased from $10.99 (Xbox Game Pass Console tier) to $19.99 (Xbox Game Pass Ultimate). $9 a month more, or an 82% increase.

You people always fail to see the real problem and try to strawman "neogaf hyperbole" in every bad xbox topic .... if they just kept their mouths shut and do nothing and say nothing and just work, we wouldn't have this discussions, but for every Xbox "controversial" decision there is an executive or PR person saying the opposite not so long ago .... changing tiers and upping prices were expected of course after so many acquisitions and changes... BUT you have record of them saying that they wouldn't do that... thats why Xbox will always be at this stage.. everything is a non issue, everything is persecution and hyperbole, nothing they do or say they are accountable for. You smile, take it in the ass and thanks papa Phil for being so nice and let you finally play call of duty for 20 dollars a month.

Yes Sony upped the ps plus prices, try to find Jimbo or another exectuive saying they wouldn't do that a few months back, wake up and see the difference. Is not hard.
This is like saying “I prefer being pickpocketed than robbed on a gunpoint”.

In both instances you are out of money.

Gamepass ultimate is seeing 5$ increase this year. That is 60$ a year or 300$ in 5 years.

Bought a 3060 after 4 years. That 300$ from gamepass increase is enough to fund my next GPU upgrade in the next 5 years.

I have saved way more than that by using GPU for 3 years.

Bernardougf

This is like saying “I prefer being pickpocketed than robbed on a gunpoint”.

In both instances you are out of money.

I have saved way more than that by using GPU for 3 years.
Im out of anything since I dont subscribe to any of them, but if I did I certainly wouldn't use the one the executives constantly lies about what they are going to do with the product Im paying for thats for sure.

Sorcerer

Microsoft is doubling down on stagnating subs, by increasing the price for the loyal customers? This will help things how? Make the service unattractive to new customers? This is another price increase in just over a year. They must drive the people who print those gift cards insane LOL!!
I guess another price increase by August of 2025.

Can't wait to see many of the same games at the showcase next year with still no release dates.

Phil, just hang in there to make the golden parachute goal and move on.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The post you responded to didn't say otherwise. The fact that the subscription isn't required doesn't mean that the changes to the subscription cannot be scrutinized.

I never said the changes should not be scrutinized, or that there are no grounds for complaints. I only pointed out that it’s hardly a new thing that players on the PC side get a much better deal when it comes to subscriptions, and this is a long running issue.
We both know people have complained for years about the charge for online play on console when it’s free on PC.

Top Bottom