• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
xbox-game-pass-punched-meme-vch5xbdupfdvg9z5.gif

feynoob

Banned
This analogy doesn’t make any sense.

Did you thought this through?

I cannot imagine trying to explain this to you.
Gamepass is literally all you can eat gaming.

And paying 240$ a year isn't worth it, when Xbox is failing to capture the market, while porting games to PS and doing Day1 PC.

With that money, I can buy the games that I actually want to play. And since gamepass doesn't have the actual games that I want to play, it's a waste of my money.

Limited amount of games. Doesn't have elder ring, Hogwarts legacy and cyberpunk 2077 type of games. I want to play BG3, but I have to spend money, since it isn't on gamepass.

So tell me, how does this service save me money?

Bernardougf

Microsoft is doubling down on stagnating subs, by increasing the price for the loyal customers? This will help things how? Make the service unattractive to new customers? This is another price increase in just over a year. They must drive the people who print those gift cards insane LOL!!
I guess another price increase by August of 2025.

Can't wait to see many of the same games at the showcase next year with still no release dates.

Phil, just hang in there to make the golden parachute goal and move on.
They are preparing for the next gen .. now is time to milk their loyal fanbase as much as they can .... they will chase growth with their next strategy whatever it may be.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Saves me tons, just depends on how you want to look at it and what your gaming habits are. There are multiple ways to think about it, but just one method is say look at Kunitsu Gami coming out in a week. It's $50. I would have gotten that day 1 and want to play that day 1, but now I can wait for a sale. Let's say I just wait until it's $30, which really won't take all that long. Just that alone pays for every other rental for the entire month. All those games I get to play early now and buy later to own at a discount. The effect just keeps compounding as well. Dungeons of Hinterberg I would have gotten, it's $30. I can wait now. Tchia I was probably waiting anyway, but now I can play it day 1 and that's $30. Still Wakes the Deep last month was $35 and I can buy that when it's $15 and that paid for everything in May. If you like playing lots of games you save probably thousands a year. If you're not interested in it anyway, then its not for you. Stalker 2 alone will probably save me $40 or more, covering 2 months right there. A lot of us just got Forza H4 for free basically, which was I think $60 at the time. I enjoyed playing that day 1, that covers 3 months there. The list just keeps going.

Now if none of the games on the service are games you wanted to buy, then you save nothing. Just up to your taste and buying habits.

Last edited:

And paying 240$ a year isn't worth it, when Xbox is failing to capture the market, while porting games to PS and doing Day1 PC.

With that money, I can buy the games that I actually want to play. And since gamepass doesn't have the actual games that I want to play, it's a waste of my money.

Limited amount of games. Doesn't have elder ring, Hogwarts legacy and cyberpunk 2077 type of games. I want to play BG3, but I have to spend money, since it isn't on gamepass.

If you don’t want to try new stuff, its not valuable for you.

Same way for steam. Its useful for discovering hidden gems.

If all you wanna play is well known AAA titles, that can be done anywhere. Not very interesting to me.

feynoob

Banned
Saves me tons, just depends on how you want to look at it and what your gaming habits are. There are multiple ways to think about it, but just one method is say look at Kunitsu Gami coming out in a week. It's $50. I would have gotten that day 1 and want to play that day 1, but now I can wait for a sale. Let's say I just wait until it's $30, which really won't take all that long. Just that alone pays for every other rental for the entire month. All those games I get to play early now and buy later to own at a discount. The effect just keeps compounding as well. Dungeons of Hinterberg I would have gotten, it's $30. I can wait now. Tchia I was probably waiting anyway, but now I can play it day 1 and that's $30. Still Wakes the Deep last month was $35 and I can buy that when it's $15 and that paid for everything in May. If you like playing lots of games you save probably thousands a year. If you're not interested in it anyway, then its not for you. Stalker 2 alone will probably save me $40 or more, covering 2 months right there.
But that is all you eat thinking.

That 240$ which I would spend on gamepass, would net me 6-8 games from key seller that I actually want to play.

I am not a bot and gaming takes too long to play these days. With limited time that I have, it's actually better to spend on games that I really want to play.

If you have other consoles, it's worse as your play time gets smaller and smaller.

It's only worth it, if you are full time Xbox person.

The deal was great at 15$. But 20$ is hard to justify. And with limited content these days, it's not worth it.

feynoob

Banned
If you don’t want to try new stuff, its not valuable for you.

Same way for steam. Its useful for discovering hidden gems.

If all you wanna play is well known AAA titles, that can be done anywhere. Not very interesting to me.
That justification doesn't justify the current price.
Plus you really don't need gamepass to discover that.

You have YouTube. Just search for walkthrough gameplays. Great ways to discover hidden gem games. This is just reaching for straws to justify the value.

You still have to remember that you need to allocate funds to other games too. Not every game is coming to gamepass.

So that saving you keep talking about, doesn't exist. At the end of the year, you could be spending 500$, instead of 250$. So you are losing money.

Punished Miku

But that is all you eat thinking.

That 240$ which I would spend on gamepass, would net me 6-8 games from key seller that I actually want to play.

I am not a bot and gaming takes too long to play these days. With limited time that I have, it's actually better to spend on games that I really want to play.

If you have other consoles, it's worse as your play time gets smaller and smaller.

It's only worth it, if you are full time Xbox person.

The deal was great at 15$. But 20$ is hard to justify. And with limited content these days, it's not worth it.
I agree, the higher the price gets the more its for hardcore gamers and less for casual gamers. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

Like I said, it's just 1 way of looking at it. There's lots. Let's say you play only casual stuff like Call of Duty every year and move on to the next one. The minimum buy in for that is $70 + 75 to play online now, so 145 a year. So now the calculation is if you want to pay 95 more a year than you already were to get that, and every other game on GP the whole year. Some people wont, some people will. If you estimate 5 games added to GP every 2 weeks, then that's 130 games a year / $95 means that you're getting $0.75 rentals for everything else, most of them lasting 6 months to a year. Up to you if that is worth it if all you like is Call of Duty in this scenario.

Last edited:

ArcaneNLSC

Out of curiosity how many strategy changes has XBox/MS had say in the last year or so?

things from price increases, gamepass/xbox live strategy, devices, platforms and so on?

tronied

The reason why GamePass works for me is:
1) The massive library of games with new ones being added each month. I admit to having Ultimate already so getting all MS game releases day 1 is just a very nice added bonus.
2) If I do decide I really like a game and find in an extremely rare situation it's going to be removed (this has never happened to me), then I can purchase it usually with a nice discount for being a GamePass member.
2) I can try a game to and if I don't like it then I can just stop playing and play another one. I can try 5-10 games in a single evening if I want to without having lost anything. This is without getting all the hassle of buying / refunding them all. I also don't have to invest any time downloading the game as...
3) I can try the game without having to download it using the cloud gaming option. It's not perfect but works much better on consoles I've found than on PC's. It just provides the ability to dip my toe in and out when I please.

Paying current £12.99 (soon to be £15) is still a bargain for me for what I perceive to get. If you can't justify the cost then I'd probably say it's not a good fit as you're probably not getting enough use out of it. For me though it's perfect.

That justification doesn't justify the current price.
Plus you really don't need gamepass to discover that.

You have YouTube. Just search for walkthrough gameplays. Great ways to discover hidden gem games. This is just reaching for straws to justify the value.

You still have to remember that you need to allocate funds to other games too. Not every game is coming to gamepass.

So that saving you keep talking about, doesn't exist. At the end of the year, you could be spending 500$, instead of 250$. So you are losing money.
Have you tried finding unexpected/hidden gems by watching Youtube play throughs? 😂😂

Gamepass / steam work for me. I cannot figure out anything by watching Youtube videos.

Also, did you actually lost money by subscribing to gamepass? Thats a new one.

feynoob

Banned
Have you tried finding unexpected/hidden gems by watching Youtube play throughs? 😂😂
Yes. Bought some games that way.
I search deals through steam keys website. Then see the gameplay of the said game. Best way to avoid bad purchase games.

Gamepass / steam work for me. I cannot figure out anything by watching Youtube videos.
Try it. It's actually cool way to see how the game plays.

Also, did you actually lost money by subscribing to gamepass? Thats a new one.
Yes. I had months, where I didn't play any of the gamepass games and only had it for 1 game(football Manager) and online service mode due to fifa.

feynoob

Banned
without any outline of how it will be better for the consumer

It won’t D DestinRL - you should have thought about this whilst cheerleading Xbox’s market consolidation.
Easy. Eliminate yearly Xbox live payment and raise the price slowly. Tie that service to the free games section. Now you have a fake value baked on to the service.

I shouldn't have to pay for online mode, but here we are paying for it every year.

Punished Miku

Yes. I had months, where I didn't play any of the gamepass games and only had it for 1 game(football Manager) and online service mode due to fifa.
Then it's definitely not a good deal for you. The question is if you are capable of just imagining that other people play more than 1 game on the service and think about it differently.

Are we really doing the PC is cheaper than consoles thing....We've had bullshit console pricing on online for over a decade now. That is not going to change from either Microsoft or Sony. If it bothers you, come over here and embrace PC. It's the best place to be a gamer.

I never said the changes should not be scrutinized, or that there are no grounds for complaints. I only pointed out that it’s hardly a new thing that players on the PC side get a much better deal when it comes to subscriptions, and this is a long running issue.
We both know people have complained for years about the charge for online play on console when it’s free on PC.

I'm not surprised that PC is cheaper than console. Yeah, like you guys say, that's pretty much always been a problem. The thing I find strange is that Microsoft themselves is highlighting the poor value proposition by so thoroughly undercutting their own proprietary product. Their own PC gamepass doesn't just offer a similar package for less. It offers a BETTER package for less. It's not like this is Steam pealing away support for the Xbox console. This is, effectively, xbox telling people to ditch xbox because the grass is greener on the PC side. And while this may be the endgame they have in mind, it's still shocking to see a company actively work towards showing its customers how badly they are being ripped off on the console side.

Y'know, I started writing about better ways to handle this dumb situation, but I deleted it. It doesn't matter. Of course there are better ways to handle this, but this is what they have and it makes them look foolish.

feynoob

Banned
Then it's definitely not a good deal for you. The question is if you are capable of just imagining that other people play more than 1 game on the service and think about it differently.
It's either that or pay the monthly Xbox live gold.

I can't play fifa online without it

Yes. Bought some games that way.
I search deals through steam keys website. Then see the gameplay of the said game. Best way to avoid bad purchase games.

Try it. It's actually cool way to see how the game plays.
Have tried it plenty. Its very time consuming.

On steam I make instant decisions by looking at reviews, player count, game type and description/video. Gamepass is even better at this.

You can make better use of it than this. Of course it will feel not worth it.

Fess

I do think a form of Steam will be side loadable on the next Xbox
You think? Hmmm… Going by previous talks you seem to be close to some of the Xbox guys. But you haven’t signed any NDAs I assume, correct?
Can’t you tell what you know here? Or do you know nothing and just speculate like the rest of us?

I want to know if they’ll create a new OS, a variation of Windows with a new big screen mode like Steam OS. And I want to know if that will be installable on regular PCs as a new Windows version for the living room.
Right now it mostly sucks to exit Steam on a living room PC since there is no big screen mode so then you need mouse and keyboard, which means I only use Steam and never Gamepass or Epic or anything else unless I’m on the desktop PC.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

You think? Hmmm… Going by previous talks you seem to be close to some of the Xbox guys. But you haven’t signed any NDAs I assume, correct?
Can’t you tell what you know here? Or do you know nothing and just speculate like the rest of us?

I want to know if they’ll create a new OS, a variation of Windows with a new big screen mode like Steam OS. And I want to know if that will be installable on regular PCs as a new Windows version for the living room.
Right now it mostly sucks to exit Steam on a living room PC since there is no big screen mode so then you need mouse and keyboard, which means I only use Steam and never Gamepass or Epic or anything else unless I’m on the desktop PC.
He has to walk a fine line. Though Spencer already publicly said basically everything you're asking about. Just waiting for public confirmation when they're ready to unveil it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I haven't signed any NDAs on these speculations but have on others things like touring the Playstation packaging facility

That said 90% of what is said I simply can't repeat openly and even then some things I have heard Phil say directly even years ago never happened so as much as people hate this term "things change" is a fact

I will say I know for a fact many things are tossed around the round table at castle green HQ and sideloading Steam has been deeply explored of which I don't know the exact outcome but I firmly believe its happening

graywolf323

Used. Car. Salesman.

I’ve been saying this for the better part of the last decade

Spencer was head of Microsoft Game Studios since 2008 and took over the Gaming Division in late 2013/early 2014? hes been responsible for their first party output for nearly a decade now and the direction of Xbox as a whole for ~4+ years yet people always act like bad stuff going on at Microsoft now is somehow not his fault

hes really the ultimate used car salesman...

I’m honestly amazed Spencer at this point has one of the longest tenures of any of the first-party heads (PlayStation meanwhile seems to churn through one every ~4 years or so)

twilo99

Gold Member
There are 3 ways the gamepass thing makes sense and it's been that way since the start:

1. Rotate your subscription so you are only paying when there are a few games on there you are interested in, cancel when done.
2. load up for multiple years by using xbox gold codes
3. Use MS rewards to subsidize it

Last edited:

Fess

I haven't signed any NDAs on these speculations but have on others things like touring the Playstation packaging facility

That said 90% of what is said I simply can't repeat openly and even then some things I have heard Phil say directly even years ago never happened so as much as people hate this term "things change" is a fact

I will say I know for a fact many things are tossed around the round table at castle green HQ and sideloading Steam has been deeply explored of which I don't know the exact outcome but I firmly believe its happening
Thank you for being as direct about it as you can be👍

In general I’m just not a fan of the ”I know something you don’t know and I’m not telling” hints that many use on social spaces. It’s annoying tbh and makes rumour mills spin out of control and we waste time talking about stuff that never happen anyway.

I have my own idea how this industry will evolve but it’s just from 40 years of seeing small puzzle pieces fall into place. I don’t actually know shit.

Steam access on a hybrid Xbox wouid make sense if they want to move PC gaming into the living room and have some control over that space before Valve does it.
But it would kill Xbox as we know it. And 3rd party sales on Microsoft Store. MS would essentially just be the OS provider and game publisher of their own games.

Last edited:

Nydius

so all this hoopla for nothing?? As a ultimate owner nothing changes for me except small price increase we all already knew was coming, what's all the doom and gloom about?

The second “small price hike” in a little over a year, while also adding a separate tier that backpedals on years of their Game Pass marketing (“Play day one on Game Pass”), and stealthily modifying their existing console tier to try and have people slip out of the grandfathered tier in order to pay more for the same service. Edit: For someone who buys an Xbox today, there are now three “Game Pass” options but only one that actually provides the day one games Microsoft has so heavily advertised for the last 5+ years.

And all this after they claimed the ABK acquisition wouldn’t cause prices to increase. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that the prices are going up just before COD drops and just after they mentioned slowly adding ABK’s library to Game Pass, right? 🙄

This is you right now, my friend:

ePaoOiM.jpeg

Last edited:

Sanepar

People here believe general consumers buy 20 games per year and will see a lot of value on "hundreds of old games", they just ignore that most of new releases doesn't come to gamepass. Attach rate of consoles per generation is 8 games average. Besides 5% nerds of hardcore gamers, general market will not get any value in gamepass, mostly important because the games they play or want are not on the service.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

FireFly

There are 3 ways the gamepass thing makes sense and it's been that way since the start:

1. Rotate your subscription so you are only paying when there are a few games on there you are interested in, cancel when done.
2. load up for multiple years by using xbox gold codes
3. Use MS rewards to subsidize it
With the current pricing, no matter how you buy Gold, it always be cheaper to convert to Ultimate than it will be to subscribe monthly to Ultimate. That's why it makes no sense to pay $240.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
GznzDQp.png

This is what I got with 3 month worth of gamepass. 61$ after taxes just now.

And here's a list of game added to Game Pass over the last 3 months:

• Warhammer 40k: Boltgun
  • Paw Patrol World
  • NBA 2K24
  • SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom
  • Control: Ultimate Edition
  • No More Heroes 3
  • Lightyear Frontier
  • MLB the Show 24
  • The Quarry
  • Evil West
  • Terra Invicta
  • Diablo IV
  • Hot Wheels Unleashed 2
  • Open Roads
  • Ark: Survival Ascended
  • F1 23
  • Superhot
  • LEGO 2K Drive
  • EA Sports PGA Tour
  • Lil Gator Game
  • Turbo Golf Racing
  • Botany Manor
  • Kona
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
  • Grounded
  • Harold Halibut
  • Orcs Must Die! 3
  • NHL 24
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • Wreckfest
  • Clyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
  • Another Crab's Treasure
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Manor Lords
  • The Rewinder
  • Have a Nice Death
  • Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
  • Kona 2
  • Little Kitty, Big City
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • Chants of Sennaar
  • Immortals of Aveum
  • Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2
  • Galacticare
  • Hauntil
  • Moving Out 2
  • Humanity
  • Lords of the Fallen
  • Firework
  • Rolling Hills
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Octopath Traveler 2
  • Depersonalization
  • Isonzo
  • The Callisto Protocol
  • Still Wakes the Deep
  • My Time at Sandrock
  • Keplerth
  • EA Sports FC 24
  • SteamWorld Dig
  • SteamWorld Dig 2
  • Robin Hood - Sherwood Builders
  • Journey to the Savage Planet
  • Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2
  • Neon White
  • Tchia

.... Not to mention the hundreds of games already included in the Game Pass library.

I don't think you are making the point you think you are making here.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Statistically, this is highly improbable. The average monthly spending in the US is under $20 on games, people ain't buying 20 games a year, outside of fringe cases or enthusiasts.

People generally aren't buying half of that number for any given consoles lifespan. It's why gaming subscription services are flawed in the first place.

feynoob

Banned
And here's a list of game added to Game Pass over the last 3 months:

• Warhammer 40k: Boltgun
  • Paw Patrol World
  • NBA 2K24
  • SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom
  • Control: Ultimate Edition
  • No More Heroes 3
  • Lightyear Frontier
  • MLB the Show 24
  • The Quarry
  • Evil West
  • Terra Invicta
  • Diablo IV
  • Hot Wheels Unleashed 2
  • Open Roads
  • Ark: Survival Ascended
  • F1 23
  • Superhot
  • LEGO 2K Drive
  • EA Sports PGA Tour
  • Lil Gator Game
  • Turbo Golf Racing
  • Botany Manor
  • Kona
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
  • Grounded
  • Harold Halibut
  • Orcs Must Die! 3
  • NHL 24
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • Wreckfest
  • Clyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
  • Another Crab's Treasure
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Manor Lords
  • The Rewinder
  • Have a Nice Death
  • Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
  • Kona 2
  • Little Kitty, Big City
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • Chants of Sennaar
  • Immortals of Aveum
  • Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2
  • Galacticare
  • Hauntil
  • Moving Out 2
  • Humanity
  • Lords of the Fallen
  • Firework
  • Rolling Hills
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Octopath Traveler 2
  • Depersonalization
  • Isonzo
  • The Callisto Protocol
  • Still Wakes the Deep
  • My Time at Sandrock
  • Keplerth
  • EA Sports FC 24
  • SteamWorld Dig
  • SteamWorld Dig 2
  • Robin Hood - Sherwood Builders
  • Journey to the Savage Planet
  • Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2
  • Neon White
  • Tchia

.... Not to mention the hundreds of games already included in the Game Pass library.

I don't think you are making the point you think you are making here.
I understand that you cant read that much, but these games wont stay there after 1 year of them being on the service. I have to play them during that year. And with time, you cant play them.

The games that I bought here, would stay on my library for 10+ years.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What a year for subscriptions, I cancelled both PS+ extra and now Xbox Ultimate.

Man console players are fucked, I think il sell my Xbox series X, the second game console I have ever got rid of (my only other was the Xbox One)

Top Bottom