• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Flintty

Anyone had problems with the Bluray drive? One film my wife just tried to watch kept crashing and causing the XSX to full restart. There was a fingerprint on the disc and it worked after cleaning, but the box shatting itself due to a fingerprint was unexpected

jaysius

Banned
No problem. I also suggest starting with your tv color space on warm 2. Some people call it the piss filter, but it really does give the most accurate color display.

People that don't go with the warm settings are too scared to get used to something new. Blown out blue is what makes cheap shit sets have the "best" picture, most people don't know what an accurate picture is.

TRY a warm setting, you really won't notice the "PISS" after a few weeks and you'll have a picture closer to whatever person making the movie/game intended you to see.

splattered

The tv calibration is for everything. It wants you to adjust the tv settings for ideal contrast and gamma settings for everything (games included). The only thing you won’t really be able to do is the tint one. After you do that you will have to readjust your HDR settings.

Well i might just have to get used to it but i ran through the TV setup and then the game setup again and now my TV feels pretty dark. Like the dash is darker... the guide background is darker and just kind of blends all together and the game tiles themselves seem a lot dimmer. Will try some games in a minute but don't know if i like things being this dark haha

As for slow bootups etc ok here we go... i have my XSX set to instant on mode. Just held the guide button down and chose to turn off the console. Gave it a minute and now it's totally off. Using my phone stopwatch i'm going to hold down the guide button and see how long it takes to get me to the choose profile screen... wow it came up almost instantly. Ok this issue seems to be somehow fixed? Cool...

Next.. loading Forza Horizon 4 from menu to the initial disclaimer screen: 01:00:14 ... is that how long it is taking everyone else? This seems to be the slowest loading game for me though all other games don't seem to be very fast either. Modern Warfare feels fairly slow to me too. I think Borderlands 3 also a little slow? Can't say 100% but i'd have to sit and time them i guess.

Kagey K

Banned
Well i might just have to get used to it but i ran through the TV setup and then the game setup again and now my TV feels pretty dark. Like the dash is darker... the guide background is darker and just kind of blends all together and the game tiles themselves seem a lot dimmer. Will try some games in a minute but don't know if i like things being this dark haha

As for slow bootups etc ok here we go... i have my XSX set to instant on mode. Just held the guide button down and chose to turn off the console. Gave it a minute and now it's totally off. Using my phone stopwatch i'm going to hold down the guide button and see how long it takes to get me to the choose profile screen... wow it came up almost instantly. Ok this issue seems to be somehow fixed? Cool...

Next.. loading Forza Horizon 4 from menu to the initial disclaimer screen: 01:00:14 ... is that how long it is taking everyone else? This seems to be the slowest loading game for me though all other games don't seem to be very fast either. Modern Warfare feels fairly slow to me too. I think Borderlands 3 also a little slow? Can't say 100% but i'd have to sit and time them i guess.
Yeah you can fine tune it as you see fit. Those are just the recommended settings. I would recommend spending a day or 2 getting used to it and see if you actually end up preferring it.

Just make sure you run that HDR calibrator after if you do make any changes.

Andodalf

Banned

TVs often tend to overshoot their brightness, so a more natural curve can be offputting. Ideally you should have a greater degree of difference between the brightest and darkest areas of the screen, especially in HDR

Kagey K

Banned
People that don't go with the warm settings are too scared to get used to something new. Blown out blue is what makes cheap shit sets have the "best" picture, most people don't know what an accurate picture is.

TRY a warm setting, you really won't notice the "PISS" after a few weeks and you'll have a picture closer to whatever person making the movie/game intended you to see.
Yeah very few people actually have their TV set up with any sort of accuracy.

Most people’s places I go to I’m shocked at how cold and blown out their picture settings are.

Spend all this money on a nice tv and then blow the hell out of the picture using vivid. It makes me shake my head.

jaysius

Banned
Yeah very few people actually have their TV set up with any sort of accuracy.

Most people’s places I go to I’m shocked at how cold and blown out their picture settings are.

Spend all this money on a nice tv and then blow the hell out of the picture using vivid. It makes me shake my head.

Yea it's fucking disgusting, I set up a buddies TV with the rtings settings(these guys understand tvs) and he was like "EWWW TOO YELLOW" when you only see that initially on white screens and then you don't even notice after a day or two. I mean it's his TV, but don't ask someone to put all the settings in just to throw them all out and fuck them out with blown out colors. I even prefaced that "it'll be yellow at first" but he didn't get it.

Shit on his TV is barely watchable because of the trash he set it to after, that and it's a lower quality set and he lost the panel lottery so it has bad bloom in all the corners, which is ACCENTUATED by his awful blown out colors, but it's 4K!!!! So he's kind of happy.

Blown out picture is the dumbest way to use a tv.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
from Xbox Wire:

More games played, 3,594 in total, spanning four generations, setting a record for the most games ever played during an Xbox console launch

Xbox has no gamezzz!

ZERO, NONE Xbox owners buy these for art or for paperweights.

This number is clearly a lie.

You know what, both machines are good.

For me Gamepass sold me a Series X, coming from a Xbox One Base that plays games, but plays most like shit I'm really welcoming the upgrade. Also the fact that my very old underpowered Xbox One Base doesn't ever sound like a jet engine like my PS4 Pro, I can't trust Sony with my money anymore, the PS4 Pro started out quiet for a few months before it went full jet engine.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Daily plea for help.

When I set it up it gave me the option to name it bedroom Xbox or living room Xbox and it said something like don’t worry you can change this later. But how? It’s called bedroom xbox as I wasn’t paying attention but can’t see how to change it.

If I go to rename console it’s just called Xbox. When I’m on the app etc bedroom Xbox.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Daily plea for help.

When I set it up it gave me the option to name it bedroom Xbox or living room Xbox and it said something like don’t worry you can change this later. But how? It’s called bedroom xbox as I wasn’t paying attention but can’t see how to change it.

If I go to rename console it’s just called Xbox. When I’m on the app etc bedroom Xbox.

PiPuALt.jpg

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Getting real tired of this "gotcha" console warring every time DF or NXGamer does a comparison.

When the DMC5SE DF comparison came out, I got this DM, completely out of the blue:

jOtB8sr.jpg

🤷‍♂️ not really but thanks for thinking of me

What a damn asshole. What was this even about. It's bad enough to console war and troll in threads but doing it in your PMs is even worse. I had some guy I don't think I ever had any interaction with have a total meltdown cussing me out in my PMs for positive like reactions to Xbox comments.

I also had that jackass hunybun (?) throw a fit because I give like reactions to positive Xbox posts. I guess I should just shit up threads, console war, insult members and meltdown so as not to upset sensitive Sony fanboys over egregious misdeeds like post reactions. 🤪

These people are truly demented

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
What a damn asshole. What was this even about. It's bad enough to console war and troll in threads but doing it in your PMs is even worse. I had some guy I don't think I ever had any interaction with have a total meltdown cussing me out in my PMs for positive like reactions to Xbox comments.

I also had that jackass hunybun (?) throw a fit because I give like reactions to positive Xbox posts. I guess I should just shit up threads, console war, insult members and meltdown so as not to upset sensitive Sony fanboys over egregious misdeeds like post reactions. 🤪

These people are truly demented
It's even worse when you discover how old these people supposedly are.

Kagey K

Banned
Anyone else have the X/S symbol on Marvels Avengers?

Just showed up on mine today but I’m not sure I care enough to fire it up and see if it’s actually enhanced.

DustQueen

Banned
Bought Series S. First Xbox experience since 360 days.
It's pretty great, like I know GamePass is pretty much Microsoft way to monopolize the industry in 10 years...but God damn if it's not surreal to pay 5$ n have all those games.
New controller is really comfy

But for the love of God someone tell me who designed THAT interface?
It is like finding gay hook up in a lesbian fish market...blind!

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Those assholes at amazon packaged my xbox with zero packing material... Well I mean one piece of freaking brown packing paper. There was literally a 5" gap on two sides, and a 3" gap on top. CS rep only wanted to compensate me $5 for the incovenience. Haven't open the box yet, but fuck amazon.

rQ5mpiW.png

xhz9tO9.png

edQtRXC.png

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Those assholes at amazon packaged my xbox with zero packing material... Well I mean one piece of freaking brown packing paper. There was literally a 5" gap on two sides, and a 3" gap on top. CS rep only wanted to compensate me $5 for the incovenience. Haven't open the box yet, but fuck amazon.

rQ5mpiW.png

xhz9tO9.png

edQtRXC.png
That’s exactly how Amazon packed mine. Hope it’s ok as it’s a gift for someone. My Xbox from MS was packed perfectly.

Can I find anywhere a list of games that support quick resume? Forza Horizon 4 and Gears5 don’t seem to.

Unofficial, but seems this is the list of games that don't support QR:
  • Watch Dogs: Legion
  • Dirt 5
  • The Falconeer
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  • NBA 2K21
FH4 is the big outlier there amongst all the newer games.

A few titles worked "some" of the time, but those seem to have been made a lot more stable, like Ori 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom