• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

TBiddy

Sooo.. Halo delayed?

Makes sense I think. It did have some rough edges, but it's worrying that they are releasing a next-gen console without a single next-gen game available. I know that launches are historically barren, more or less, but still.

Weird is that there's no mention of Series S design in the manual, not even Xbox One.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed that. Perhaps, the Xbox Series S is planned to be launched at a later date (perhaps mid 2021) and not at the same time as the X?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Perhaps, the Xbox Series S is planned to be launched at a later date (perhaps mid 2021) and not at the same time as the X?

200.gif

TBiddy

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed that. Perhaps, the Xbox Series S is planned to be launched at a later date (perhaps mid 2021) and not at the same time as the X?

Possibly yes. I feel like Microsoft really needs to share their plans soon. Try to change the talk from Halo to pre-orders and price.

Have a short show:

Pre-orders open
6 months of GP included
Halo Infinite included - available when game is ready
399$
End with Hellblade 2 gameplay and sneak peek of the RT upgrade for Halo.
Drop the mic
???
Profit

Possibly yes. I feel like Microsoft really needs to share their plans soon. Try to change the talk from Halo to pre-orders and price.

Have a short show:

Pre-orders open
6 months of GP included
Halo Infinite included - available when game is ready
399$
End with Hellblade 2 gameplay and sneak peek of the RT upgrade for Halo.
Drop the mic
???
Profit

For sure. That would be the smart thing to do and it would steer the narrative in a more positive direction IMO.

DrDamn

It does not make any business sense to launch Series S late.

In some respects you'd think the majority of early adopters would want an XSX. It's a tricky stock situation to balance too, so maybe they would be better off concentrating on ensuring they have enough XSX boxes out there.

DrDamn

Sooo.. Halo delayed?

Makes sense I think. It did have some rough edges, but it's worrying that they are releasing a next-gen console without a single next-gen game available. I know that launches are historically barren, more or less, but still.

Yeah on the one hand it's poor management as this situation should have been clear for a while. Not even giving it a rough date in 2021 tells you more about where it is currently. I don't think it looked that bad for a launch title, particularly one which has intentions to evolve over time. Whatever way you l look at it, it is a big blow to launch plans.

On the other hand it's the right decision and maybe not one MS would have made correctly in the past. So progress and a silver lining there. It sounds like they are also giving their big titles from Turn 10, Obsidian and Playground Games a good amount of time too.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Last edited:

Shmunter

Lady Bernkastel doing all the heavy lifting. I’m with Sony, but I’m not stupid enough to underestimate the value of healthy competition. Common Xbox fans, this is the time to mobilise more than ever!

And common Xbox, free online play and I’ll give the XsX a shot dammit.

TBiddy

Lady Bernkastel doing all the heavy lifting. I’m with Sony, but I’m not stupid enough to underestimate the value of healthy competition. Common Xbox fans, this is the time to mobilise more than ever!

And common Xbox, free online play and I’ll give the XsX a shot dammit.

There are very few Xbox fans left on Gaf now. Most of the active ones have either left or been banned. To be honest, considering the rampant somewhat unhealthy climate here on Gaf I can understand them.

Free online play won't happen for a while, I think. Considering Microsoft is moving to a future where services are the focus, it would be odd to slaughter one of their golden cows in that area.

Shmunter

There are very few Xbox fans left on Gaf now. Most of the active ones have either left or been banned. To be honest, considering the rampant somewhat unhealthy climate here on Gaf I can understand them.

Free online play won't happen for a while, I think. Considering Microsoft is moving to a future where services are the focus, it would be odd to slaughter one of their golden cows in that area.
I hope that’s not true. Maybe someone should do a poll to see how many there are?

I understand that Gold has been a cash cow for Xbox, but I’m still holding out hope that since they have new subscription revenue streams, they can figure out a balance with attracting customers via free online and having them stay for the other stuff being a better outcome.

Dane

I didn't hear the whole show, but releasing in part would be totally reckless and being the prime example of why people are against GaaS, rather than being complete games with longer shelf life like a MMO, they would be seen as Early Access products disguised as final versions.

Spencer also comments that he doesn't give a damn about console war and he's aware that some hardcore purist fans are mad at him for decisions and doesn't care about it.

Pantz

At least there's a good sale to help pass the time until September. Spotted some games on there that don't go on sale too often.

Bernkastel

March - Digital Foundry reveal
May - First Look at Series X
July - Xbox Game Showcase
September - Xboxing Day
November - X020?

Pantz

There just HAS to be some "under wraps" event for GamesCom. This is going to be like this year's E3 in effect so it makes sense for both Sony and Microsoft to do something that week.

Went back to check, the 2017 GamesCom show is where they opened up pre-orders for the Xbox One X. Of course we already knew the price before that at E3. Maybe, who knows?

ZywyPL

Banned
There just HAS to be some "under wraps" event for GamesCom. This is going to be like this year's E3 in effect so it makes sense for both Sony and Microsoft to do something that week.

Their big (biggest?) show of this year was just a month ago, they didn't shock the world, politely speaking, so I cannot imagine them being able to prepare anything worthy for August, which is already halfway done to begin with. The only big/huge game of this year that's yet to be revealed is CoD, but that will most likely be done by Sony since they have the marketing deal now. So all MS can do left is the XBX tear-down/tech deep-dive, show off 3rd party AAA titles like CB2077 for example, how they look, how they run, and of course the pricing, and finally reveal Series S and its price as well. The games won't do much talking because there aren't many, this will be the driest console launch we've ever seen, thank god indie devs are stronger than ever, otherwise there would be no one to carry PS5/XBX launch. So yeah, IMO they should focus on the hardware, convince people it's worth investing in, and the games will sooner or later show up anyway.

ZywyPL

Banned
From what MS have shown they seem very unprepared, I guess we will see in the months ahead.

I don't think they'll be fully ready until 2nd half of 2021-early 2022 - the Project Scarlett started a whole year after the PS5 development took off, the studio acquisitions also happened not earlier than within the past year, their 1st party XBX-only titles won't come sooner than somewhere in 2021, the newly acquired studios are still finishing their before-acquisition projects, so their XBX titles development hasn't even begun, they are indeed behind Sony, so the question is won't it be too late by then? Like the history will repeat itself and the PS5 will gain a huge momentum that after a year or two barely anyone will want to get XB when all your friends are already on PS. MS' best (if not the only) bet right now is IMO aggressive pricing, be it Lockhart or 50-100$ cut vs PS5, - the 3rd party and indie titles is what will be fueling both consoles for some time, but it's the PS4 that's ending the generation with huge dedicated fanbase, so MS has to have something, anything for an average consumer to lure some of that crowd.

EDIT:
Some new photos of the XBX:

Looks so much better IRL than in all those renders released so far. The fixed stands on the right side bother me tho, what if I want to put the console on the opposite side, I'll have them sticking up from the top?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Microsoft is on the right course with their acquisitions, but I don't understand why this didn't happen years ago, so we could see a truly impressive launch?

Even if they had to be cross-gen, per Microsoft's strategy, imagine a Series X launching with a Hellblade 2 or Avowed, with Fable right around the corner for next year. The content is impressive, but the time frame is not.

Bernkastel

the Project Scarlett started a whole year after the PS5 development took off
Project Scarlett started in 2016.
Way back in 2016, a year before work completed on Xbox One X, the Xbox silicon team was already working on Series X, beginning the architectural work on the next generation features that we'll finally see hitting the market at holiday 2020 - a keen reminder of how long it takes for new technology to be developed. Even back then, ray tracing was on the agenda - and the need for a revolutionary approach to storage was also required, all of which brings us to the second tenet of the Series X hardware design: a fundamental shift away from mechanical hard drives, embracing solid-state storage instead.

Bernkastel

Microsoft is on the right course with their acquisitions, but I don't understand why this didn't happen years ago, so we could see a truly impressive launch?

Even if they had to be cross-gen, per Microsoft's strategy, imagine a Series X launching with a Hellblade 2 or Avowed, with Fable right around the corner for next year. The content is impressive, but the time frame is not.
The acquisition talks started around the same time Phil became an executive. Until then Xbox was a sub division of Windows and Devices Group under Terry Myerson.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Hello fellas! I'll be paying more attention to the Xbox forums more this generation. I hope to provide some constructive insights on the tech around the games. While MS hasn't shown much at all of gameplay and we all hated the 343i gameplay of Halo but I think it's a red herring. They'll fix it and I feel XSX will shine this generation.

I've got a really close friend who was just offered a very important role at MS in their game division. He's a complete beast of a worker and has worked on blockbuster games (can't name yet). I think he's going to be joining around September. I should be able to give you guys some good reliable information (within reason) during this generation.

Last edited:

splattered

Hello fellas! I'll be paying more attention to the Xbox forums more this generation. I hope to provide some constructive insights on the tech around the games. While MS hasn't shown much at all of gameplay and we all hated the 343i gameplay of Halo but I think it's a red herring. They'll fix it and I feel XSX will shine this generation.

I've got a really close friend who was just offered a very important role at MS in their game division. He's a complete beast of a worker and has worked on blockbuster games (can't name yet). I think he's going to be joining around September. I should be able to give you guys some good reliable information (within reason) during this generation.

Awesome glad to hear it! Thank you in advance for any info you can provide this gen, looking forward to it!

Personally speaking i don't see how insiders put themselves out there though.. all the nagging and hate that they get. I have a childhood friend that has been at Insomniac for a very long time (since the PS3 era) working on stuff like Ratchet and Resistance titles but i stopped asking him questions before the PS4 even came out because i used to get so much shit for anything i relayed online and then i was always worried about getting him in trouble.

Last edited:

DrDamn

their 1st party XBX-only titles won't come sooner than somewhere in 2021

Phil said "next couple of years" as recently as July so no XSX exclusives from MS Studios until 2022?

Looks so much better IRL than in all those renders released so far. The fixed stands on the right side bother me tho, what if I want to put the console on the opposite side, I'll have them sticking up from the top?

You want the disc drive to be upside down?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Awesome glad to hear it! Thank you in advance for any info you can provide this gen, looking forward to it!

Personally speaking i don't see how insiders put themselves out there though.. all the nagging and hate that they get. I have a childhood friend that has been at Insomniac for a very long time (since the PS3 era) working on stuff like Ratchet and Resistance titles but i stopped asking him questions before the PS4 even came out because i used to get so much shit for anything i relayed online and then i was always worried about getting him in trouble.

Yea, but you guys are Xbox gamers. I'm quite sure it'll be a different response if whatever I tell you doesn't pan out to be 100% accurate.

Top Bottom