• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Kagey K

Banned
6YIuKTI.png
So close, but feels like an eternity away.

Single digit days to go now. Waiting for my pick up appointment call from EB Games. EB, if you read this, give me a ring ASAP.

Ok, it’s probably lame to quote oneself...but I did get the call from EB Games....by 11:15am on the 10th of November I should have the XSX in my possession. 😊 The only thing I’m trying to decide is if I’m going to trade in my One X (and receive $185 off the XSX price) or give it to my nephew.

Also, trying to figure out if the the space I currently have in One X in is big enough to allow the XSX go horizontal and still maintain adequate air flow. To me, I think it COULD go sideways in here...sure it will be tighter at the top but there will be about the same space, 3.5 inches on either side. Still, obviously not an ideal ventilation scenario. (please ignore fingerprints) And I agree with the prevailing sentiment that it doesn’t look great laying down.
50559518748_cb5a4f2b83_c.jpg

But I think I may end up putting it vertical in behind the corner of my LG CX, jointing my router. Tons of space here.
50560385662_ebea49cd78_c.jpg

I also love the looks of the Xbox Dark Tower so I won’t mind seeing it sitting stealthily in the darkness back there when I walk by towards my gaming position over on the couch. Honestly, if I had gotten a PS5 here at launch I’d have no idea what to do with Sony’s Big White Clam. 😂 Looking at my setup you can see why I’d require the PS5 in black please.

Folks....WE ARE GETTING CLOSE NOW.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Ok, it’s probably lame to quote oneself...but I did get the call from EB Games....by 11:15am on the 10th of November I should have the XSX in my possession. 😊 The only thing I’m trying to decide is if I’m going to trade in my One X (and receive $185 off the XSX price) or give it to my nephew.

Also, trying to figure out if the the space I currently have in One X in is big enough to allow the XSX go horizontal and still maintain adequate air flow. To me, I think it COULD go sideways in here...sure it will be tighter at the top but there will be about the same space, 3.5 inches on either side. Still, obviously not an ideal ventilation scenario. (please ignore fingerprints) And I agree with the prevailing sentiment that it doesn’t look great laying down.
50559518748_cb5a4f2b83_c.jpg

But I think I may end up putting it vertical in behind the corner of my LG CX, jointing my router. Tons of space here.
50560385662_ebea49cd78_c.jpg

I also love the looks of the Xbox Dark Tower so I won’t mind seeing it sitting stealthily in the darkness back there when I walk by towards my gaming position over on the couch. Honestly, if I had gotten a PS5 here at launch I’d have no idea what to do with Sony’s Big White Clam. 😂 Looking at my setup you can see why I’d require the PS5 in black please.

Folks....WE ARE GETTING CLOSE NOW.

I would go behind-the-TV. I'd rather not take any chances with ventilation and tight spaces.

Btw, cool post. Something about people getting ready to place it in their homes makes it feel so close and super exciting.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Assume I'm not going to buy a game at launch, but have gamepass. What will be the best showcase for XSX on launch day?

Live, interview with Todd Howard on TES 6, Starfield, etc

Some details from this;

• Starfield is a singleplayer, no multiplayer aspects.
  • Procedural generation confirmed for Starfield and TES:VI
    • This is a tool for developers to create massive landmass, so expect Starfield (planets?) to be much larger than Fallout 76’s map, which is already four times bigger than Skyrim.
  • Huge major overhaul to the Creation Engine - larger than the jump from Morrowind to Oblivion (" when people see the results, hopefully they’d be as happy as we are.")
    • Rendering
    • Animation
    • Artificial Intelligence & Pathing
    • Procedural Generation
    • And more areas.
  • “It’s going to be a while” until we see Starfield, the release can be subject to delays etc. so he really doesn’t feel comfortable talking about it yet.
    • He doesn’t want to reveal Starfield earlier and just release teasers until the eventual release like Cyberpunk.
  • NPCs will play a large role in future games, cities will be expansive and large compared to past games, etc.
  • Will be on Game Pass from Day 1 alongside ES:VI.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looks like Gears 5. It’s received quite the upgrade. This is speculation, but I also think that 4K and 60 FPS Forza Horizon 4 at similar PC settings could also be incredible.
I've already played through Gears 5, not sure I'll bother going back to that. Good call on Forza Horizon 4 that should look incredible.

As it stands I may also finish off Gears Tactics as I'm half way through that on PC, not sure if saves will carry over though (probably not).

Are any of the games like Scorn or The Medium hitting Day 1? Or is Doon Eternal getting any kind of XSX patch for launch?

It's sad but I'm kind of most excited to play GTAIV at 60fps as it stands.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I've already played through Gears 5, not sure I'll bother going back to that. Good call on Forza Horizon 4 that should look incredible.

As it stands I may also finish off Gears Tactics as I'm half way through that on PC, not sure if saves will carry over though (probably not).

Are any of the games like Scorn or The Medium hitting Day 1? Or is Doon Eternal getting any kind of XSX patch for launch?

Not sure on that, but would love to know. Any experts?

Andodalf

Banned

It's sad but I'm kind of most excited to play GTAIV at 60fps as it stands.

Saves should carry over no problem, as they do in gears 5 I guess.

Both of those game Gamepass games.

Doom Eternal is getting a patch but I don’t think we have a date

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Saves should carry over no problem, as they do in gears 5 I guess.

Both of those game Gamepass games.

Doom Eternal is getting a patch but I don’t think we have a date
Sweet, I'll definitely finish off Gears Tactics, I was playing with controller anyway, so if the save carries over it will be perfect.

Andodalf

Banned
Some details from this;

• Starfield is a singleplayer, no multiplayer aspects.
  • Procedural generation confirmed for Starfield and TES:VI
    • This is a tool for developers to create massive landmass, so expect Starfield (planets?) to be much larger than Fallout 76’s map, which is already four times bigger than Skyrim.
  • Huge major overhaul to the Creation Engine - larger than the jump from Morrowind to Oblivion (" when people see the results, hopefully they’d be as happy as we are.")
    • Rendering
    • Animation
    • Artificial Intelligence & Pathing
    • Procedural Generation
    • And more areas.
  • “It’s going to be a while” until we see Starfield, the release can be subject to delays etc. so he really doesn’t feel comfortable talking about it yet.
    • He doesn’t want to reveal Starfield earlier and just release teasers until the eventual release like Cyberpunk.
  • NPCs will play a large role in future games, cities will be expansive and large compared to past games, etc.
  • Will be on Game Pass from Day 1 alongside ES:VI.

Missed this earlier, but I know they used similar Procedural Generation on Oblivion's forests, so it's neat to see them bring it back with new tech

Looks like Gears 5. It’s received quite the upgrade. This is speculation, but I also think that 4K and 60 FPS Forza Horizon 4 at similar PC settings could also be incredible.

Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 are going to be first two games I boot up. I haven’t played Gears 5 at all, and only just recently got into FH4 since getting my new OLED. I’ve never been much into racing games but it is amazing. Can’t wait to see what the XSX can do with it.

Just hope the AC:Valhalla reviews are solid and that it looks gorgeous and runs well on the Series X.

Possible trouble brewing in terms of my next gen gaming plans....my spousal unit has decided...just recently....that she wants to get into Viva Pinata again. 🤦‍♂️

Missed this earlier, but I know they used similar Procedural Generation on Oblivion's forests, so it's neat to see them bring it back with new tech

Still a bit surreal that MGS brought these guys into the fold. Enjoyed the interview....though it still remains tough to decipher just how far away Starfield is. I’d say 2021 is a bit optimistic if I had to put on it.

Andodalf

Banned
Still a bit surreal that MGS brought these guys into the fold. Enjoyed the interview....though it still remains tough to decipher just how far away Starfield is. I’d say 2021 is a bit optimistic if I had to put on it.
I wouldn't read much into the date from Todd, He'd say its not close if he was announcing it next week. They really like to play things close to the vest like they did with Fallout 4 and 76. I really think that they only reason they announced Starfield and TES early in the first place was to let people know that they were still making single player games.

I got a 2 Year Gold Card and $100 Xbox card at Costco and saved 20 bucks. Updated my Gold account for a buck and now I have Ultimate for almost 3 years. Thats pretty dope. Now the question is what games to buy that aren't in the pass. Will pick 2-3 from these Watchdogs, COD, AC Valhalla, Falconeer, NBA, FIFA, and Dirt 5. Waiting for reviews, but I remember reading somebody likening Falconeer to Crimson Skies which is music to my ears.

rnlval

Remember when we were surprised about this, somehow Series X can run Gears 5 as fast as 2080Ti

So now that we seen AMD rDNA2 in action, AMD releasing numbers which places 6800 as clearly faster than 2080Ti in Gears 5. (~71fps)
Ab1IZB6.png

Extrapolating, Series X performs as good as 2080Ti is still in line(60fps).
But at that, Series X is only around 20% slower than 6800!

Series X: 52 rDNA2 CU at 1825mhz (sustained) at 10GB at 560GB/s, 6GB at 336GB/s
6800: 60 rDNA2 CU at 1815mhz (game clocks) at 16GB at 512GB/s + 128MB Infinity Cache with up to >2X bandwidth multiplier

Series X has 15% less CU than 6800, loss of Infinity Cache, so translating to a 20% in game deficit is imo reasonable.

$499 for a full gaming system thats only 20% slower
vs
$578 for a 6800 alone.

MS are wizard$, or Santa if you want.
Reference RX 5700 XT's average clock speed is 1887Mhz

Reference RX 5700 XT has 1755 Mhz game clock speed specs

In real terms, RX 5700 XT's average clock speed is closer to max boost's 1905 MHz.

Redo your RX 6800 vs XSX argument.

longdi

Banned
Reference RX 5700 XT's average clock speed is 1887Mhz

Reference RX 5700 XT has 1755 Mhz game clock speed specs

In real terms, RX 5700 XT's average clock speed is closer to max boost's 1905 MHz.

Redo your RX 6800 vs XSX argument.

Thats just one sample.

Thw also have differing results, which im sure you can find others of similar experience. Thats why Amd has game clocks. Otherwise, they can easily push higher clocks in the fight against Ampere for more conclusive wins..

The Gigabyte card reached 1,826 MHz on average across our games tests. This value is, as expected, is a lot closer to the Game clock (1,795 MHz). The Nitro+ averaged 1,911 MHz while the ASRock card reached 1,956 MHz. The lower clock speed results in slightly slower performance, as we saw earlier in the review. One thing we did notice here is the Gigabyte card has a wider range of clock speeds in our testing. In looking at the details, we found that this card hits its power limits more frequently and subsequently has larger drops than the other cards. Simply raising the power limit will help with this, though it isn’t really a problem.

As was mentioned previously, both AMD and Nvidia consider Furmark to be a power virus and thus have protection built in to protect the hardware under such loads. This protection causes the card to lower clock speeds and voltage to fit within the power limits. In this case, the Gigabyte card's average clock speed was 1,582 MHz, nearly 300 MHz lower than the game testing and lower than the base clock, even. These clocks are around 100 MHz lower than the Nitro+ and Taichi, which have higher power limits.

rnlval

Thats just one sample.

Thw also have differing results, which im sure you can find others of similar experience. Thats why Amd has game clocks. Otherwise, they can easily push higher clocks in the fight against Ampere for more conclusive wins..

Techpowerup has a 21 game sample.

For ASUS ROG Strix RX 5700 XT, https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-5700-xt-strix-oc/33.html

clock-vs-voltage.jpg

ASUS ROG Strix RX 5700 XT has a 2007 Mhz clock speed average with a sample set of 21 games.

The world's largest video card AIB manufacturer is ASUS.

longdi

Banned
Techpowerup has a 21 game sample.

For ASUS ROG Strix RX 5700 XT, https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-5700-xt-strix-oc/33.html

clock-vs-voltage.jpg

ASUS ROG Strix RX 5700 XT has a 2007 Mhz clock speed average with a sample set of 21 games.

The world's largest video card AIB manufacturer is ASUS.

Yes but the Stritx is pushed/overclocked to 260-280W, 25% above the rated 5700XT design.

Thats the luxury of PC parts, that you cant do with mass marketed, thermally and price constrained consoles

And also, im not sure if 7nm has as much headroom now as then.
At the cpu zen 3 side, the all cores clock load are expected to be similar to zen2. The big clock improvements are coming from lighter threaded single'ish core boosts

Last edited:

rnlval

Yes but the Stritx is pushed/overclocked to 260-280W, 25% above the rated 5700XT design.

Thats the luxury of PC parts, that you cant do with mass marketed, thermally and price constrained consoles

Note that Infinity Cache's 128 MB storage can support 4K frame buffers with delta color compression.

Remember, XBO's 32 MB eSRAM can support 1600x900 frame buffers without delta color compression.

RX 6800's Infinity Cache's 128 MB storage is AMD's another attempt at multi-MB large SRAM cache after XBO.

Game console RDNA 2 GPUs wouldn't have a large enough SRAM cache for 4K frame buffers, hence micro-tile cache renders optimization methods.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I just realised I have no idea what to play next Tuesday when my Series X arrives. Cold War is only coming on Friday, and Cyberpunk in December.

Gears 5 maybe? Got bored mindless with Gears 4 so haven’t tried it yet. Any other ideas?

LokusAbriss

I just realised I have no idea what to play next Tuesday when my Series X arrives. Cold War is only coming on Friday, and Cyberpunk in December.

Gears 5 maybe? Got bored mindless with Gears 4 so haven’t tried it yet. Any other ideas?
I am sitting in the same boat. I might go for WD or Valhalla. I will definetly dive into Horizon 4 again.
Battlefield V will also be on my list through game pass.

The wait till Cyperpunk will be hard.

Check out Bright Memory, it'll be around $8 but it looks fantastic and plays like COD but with Titanfall wall jumping.

The Falconeer is another one people are sleeping on, looks great and runs at 1800p/120hz on Series X.

Obviously Gears Tactics and Yakuza Like a Dragon are good shouts, plus next gen patched games like FH4, Ori2 and Halo MCC

Last edited by a moderator:

Roberts

Gears 5 is great, so you should definitely try that. It's a bit more open and has (very) light RPG elements. I enjoyed it more than some of the previous versions of Gears.

And it is even better if you can get to play with your friends in co-op. I played as jack and it was pretty great to play the game differently than ever before.

TBiddy

And it is even better if you can get to play with your friends in co-op. I played as jack and it was pretty great to play the game differently than ever before.

Sounds like fun yeah! I read somewhere that you could play the campaign as Jack on your own. Is that true?

Paris is getting considerable Series X/S advertisement. Multiple sources confirming there was almost zero for Xbox One and One X in the country.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
There are ads about XSX too, when there was not really anything with Xbox One. 360 era have a great MS presence here, translations, very cheap games (Alan Wake 35bucks special edition as a pre-order...), so hopefully they restore this magic again.

Top Bottom